comparing MSC to other cruise lines

poorsusan

We have cruised with Royal, Celebrity and Holland America.  I was looking to go out of a cruise port closer to home - NYC, Bayonne or Boston - instead of flying to Florida.  I see that MSC does go from ports up here.  How do they compare with other cruise lines?  I don't know anything about them.  

thanks for any input.  

I’ve cruised with all of the ones you’ve listed and MSC. 

We enjoyed our first 2 cruises on MSC. The first was  2019 before Covid in the Yacht Club and was fantastic. 
The second was 11/2021 not in the Yacht Club but only 490 passengers total on board so again it was fantastic. 
Third was 12/30/2022-01/13/2023 not in Yacht Club…sold out ship and our least favorite cruise of all time. (We have over 40 cruises total)

The low pricing and free kids promos along with the unlimited alcohol has attracted a lot of loud party type people that we have zero interest in cruising with. It just wasn’t enjoyable it was in fact, stressful. 

MSC is hundreds of dollars less than the companies you listed. If you take that into consideration and set your expectations accordingly you may enjoy it. 

We will probably cruise with them again but will only book the YC going forward. 

Just booked with NCL for April. Paid more for that 7 day cruise than we paid for the 14 day MSC cruise so you can see why MSC is attracting a lot of people. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, poorsusan said:

can you explain about Yacht Club?  

Yacht Club is the “ship within a ship” concept. Each ship has its own designated area only accessed by guests with rooms in that area of the ship. 
There is a private dining room, lounge with their own entertainment, pool deck, hottubs, etc. 

Also concierge and butler service is provided. 
We were upgraded for free on our first MSC cruise in the Mediterranean and it was pretty amazing. 
It is however sometimes double or triple the cost of rooms in the lower categories. 

22 hours ago, poorsusan said:

We have cruised with Royal, Celebrity and Holland America.  I was looking to go out of a cruise port closer to home - NYC, Bayonne or Boston - instead of flying to Florida.  I see that MSC does go from ports up here.  How do they compare with other cruise lines?  I don't know anything about them.  

thanks for any input.  

Always use a TA.  Never book direct and as already Stated, go in Yacht club.

Great Yacht club product but IT and customer service is garbage.

The TA is the one who needs to deal with MSCs constant screw ups which range from your pricing magically changing even after final payment to booking something like Yacht club and being downgraded with no reduction in fare to a regular cabin. Having your booked room changed for no reason and even the embarkation and debarkation ports changed without telling you, or finding out you are sailing on a different date than you booked.

If you can do YC -- it will be a fine cruise. 

I cannot answer for the non-YC cruises but the only thing I can say is the entertainment isn't as well choreographed as NCL and RCCL (there's a reason it is only 30 mins long).

12 hours ago, xcell said:

I cannot answer for the non-YC cruises but the only thing I can say is the entertainment isn't as well choreographed as NCL and RCCL (there's a reason it is only 30 mins long).

MSC production shows were fine but you have seen variations of them before: Abba, rock star, etc. Nothing innovative or distinctive and their sets were the same as five years ago- a set of lighted stairs. RCCL in May had some really unique offerings rather than the same old.

On our ten day, there was no show at all scheduled for the theater. The CD told us the night before that we would be busy packing. After their disastrous unplanned sea day (couldn't go to Ocean Cay), they decided to show Top Gun at 9:30 in the theater.

Edited by Markanddonna

There is much more live music in various venues all around the ship on MSC than on Celebrity and HAL. Also, life continues much later in the evening.

The mix of guests on average is more international and the whole style is a bit more Southern European. Well, MSC is an Italian cruise line. Eg. room stewards do not want to be your buddy, rather they do their job in the background. 

• Like 4

On 2/12/2023 at 9:23 PM, styles27 said:

Third was 12/30/2022-01/13/2023 not in Yacht Club…sold out ship and our least favorite cruise of all time. (We have over 40 cruises total)

The low pricing and free kids promos along with the unlimited alcohol has attracted a lot of loud party type people that we have zero interest in cruising with. It just wasn’t enjoyable it was in fact, stressful. 

Please note that MSC is aware of the down market demographics that its restart prices were attracting.

As a result, changes gave been made where drink packages are not available on the shorter itineraries  where the booze cruise crowd were causing on board problems and may not be available, at MSC's discretion. on longer itineraries.

Also as MSC is able to once again have its international passenger composition on US embarkation port itineraries, there will be a cultural difference on child raising expectations and children will be better behaved.

Hopefully, this will also mean that MSC will again have its practice of having free range children picked up by Security and returned to their parents' side,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

There is much more live music in various venues all around the ship on MSC than on Celebrity and HAL. Also, life continues much later in the evening.

The mix of guests on average is more international and the whole style is a bit more Southern European. Well, MSC is an Italian cruise line. Eg. room stewards do not want to be your buddy, rather they do their job in the background. 

I am from the US and I have never understood the whole I want to be my cabin steward's "Buddy". They are there to do a job not to make a friendship. That to me is like staying a week at a motel and trying to become "Buddies" with the motel cleaning crew.🤦🤦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Also as MSC is able to once again have its international passenger composition on US embarkation port itineraries, there will be a cultural difference on child raising expectations and children will be better behaved.

Hopefully, this will also mean that MSC will again have its practice of having free range children picked up by Security and returned to their parents' side,

We had 90% non US passengers on our January cruise. 3800 total pax. 

The children on board were never the ones misbehaving as the youth club did a great job keeping them occupied

Their parents were the ones pushing and shoving their way in and out of the elevators and reaching and bumping into you at the buffet or bar lines without an excuse me. They didn’t know the meaning of waiting their turn. 

Hate to say it but with parents who behave like that those poor kids don’t stand a chance of being any different. 

• Like 3

A couple of folks have made references to fellow passengers and my response is “This!”

I’ve been on upscale cruise lines like Emerald and kid friendly cruises like Carnival, along with NCL, MSC and Celebrity. My fellow passengers have done more to enhance or diminish my cruises than anything the crew or cruise line have done. And neither the cruise line nor I can do anything about who actually buys a ticket.

I book based on my needs at the time. For river cruising in Europe, itinerary matters the most. When travelling with my SO it is which cruise line has the best overall offering during the period we’ve chosen to travel. As a solo, it’s usually last minute and price is king. I can just as easily read a book and get some sun on MSC or Carnival as I can on Celebrity.

But fellow passengers? Oy vey! On a very expensive river cruise we had an outspoken religious zealot, LGBT hating, extreme right wing leaning, never stop talking couple at our 8 top the first night. Privately, I asked the maitre’d to move us as far from them as possible for the next day. Done. Sadly, by the 3rd day, they sat alone at a 2 top and rarely had anyone socialize with them. How anyone in their 50-60’s could be so lacking in self awareness is shocking. 

Yet, on a Carnival cruise I met the most delightful, interesting, caring and fun group that had a blast. So, per the original topic, I think MSC compares well with other cruise lines’ onboard experiences though, as has been mentioned, they are still cutting their teeth in some ways. Their website and their customer service lines are two examples. Their pricing is, to my mind, reflective of their overall service. I wouldn’t cruise with them exclusively but I do like them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HardToPort said:

A couple of folks have made references to fellow passengers and my response is “This!”

I’ve been on upscale cruise lines like Emerald and kid friendly cruises like Carnival, along with NCL, MSC and Celebrity. My fellow passengers have done more to enhance or diminish my cruises than anything the crew or cruise line have done. And neither the cruise line nor I can do anything about who actually buys a ticket.

I book based on my needs at the time. For river cruising in Europe, itinerary matters the most. When travelling with my SO it is which cruise line has the best overall offering during the period we’ve chosen to travel. As a solo, it’s usually last minute and price is king. I can just as easily read a book and get some sun on MSC or Carnival as I can on Celebrity.

But fellow passengers? Oy vey! On a very expensive river cruise we had an outspoken religious zealot, LGBT hating, extreme right wing leaning, never stop talking couple at our 8 top the first night. Privately, I asked the maitre’d to move us as far from them as possible for the next day. Done. Sadly, by the 3rd day, they sat alone at a 2 top and rarely had anyone socialize with them. How anyone in their 50-60’s could be so lacking in self awareness is shocking. 

Yet, on a Carnival cruise I met the most delightful, interesting, caring and fun group that had a blast. So, per the original topic, I think MSC compares well with other cruise lines’ onboard experiences though, as has been mentioned, they are still cutting their teeth in some ways. 

We’re far from novice cruisers as we’ve been cruising regularly since the 80’s. 

In 40+ cruises we have never cruised with so many awful people as we did last month on Divina.
 It’s not the crew’s fault as they were trying their best. I felt very sorry for the crew on that ship. 

I do blame MSC for selling out cruises that they know are understaffed. They are showing me that they don’t care about their crew or their passenger’s experience. 

We’ve all run into  “that person” you describe and it’s pretty easy to avoid them when they’re far and few between. You asked to have your table moved and you’re done with them. We’ve done the same. 

But this past cruise? Not as easy to avoid when you’re cruising with over 3000 rude, loud and pushy people. 

If MSC continues to undercut their competition here in the states I’m afraid what we experienced won’t be an isolated cruise. In fact I know it isn’t as others have reported experiencing the same things we did. 

For the time being we are spending our money on NCL in April and HAL later in the year. Both a few thousands of dollars more than MSC’s pricing. 

We need to give MSC a break and hope to get back to them maybe next year but it would have to be in the YC to get my husband on one of their ships again.
He’s had it. 
I’m a little more forgiving. 

• Like 1

Good post Styles. I think if someone has to upgrade to private suites and concierge service to get decent service then shame on the cruise line. Like you, I like NCL and never had a problem. 

my upcoming Divina cruise in April must be having issues selling out because I’m travelling solo and got a pretty awesome rate. Plus they’ve offered me a fairly cheap upgrade.

If the ship is jammed, I’ll survive because I’ll just go read and relax where the people aren’t. I can eat off peak, don’t mind sitting way back in the theatre and can always watch a movie in my room. But if I was travelling with family and wanted a more traditional cruising experience, I’d be disappointed if the ship was inadequately crewed. I have a positive experience with MSC from a pre Covid cruise and I hope they’re recovering. Lots of other options if they don’t. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

which range from your pricing magically changing even after final payment to booking something like Yacht club and being downgraded with no reduction in fare to a regular cabin. Having your booked room changed for no reason and even the embarkation and debarkation ports changed without telling you, or finding out you are sailing on a different date than you booked.

Were these all on one cruise or spread out on different cruises? Did you have the option to cancel for a full refund?

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Were these all on one cruise or spread out on different cruises? Did you have the option to cancel for a full refund?

All different cruises.  

I was given the option for a full refund on all but the issue is I lose on travel insurance which I purchased within 10-14 days for the pre existing clause.

On my upcoming April Splendida cruise in Saudi Arabia.  I had a 14 night cruise booked, then they changed embarkation port but also added 3 extra nights. So big airfare changes with $100 charge fee per ticket.

Same cruise, they then added an extra night at the end so my 14 night is now an 18 night and I again incurred the $100 fee which they did not cover.

I could have cancelled but I have an African safari pre cruise. I could have cancelled with a $250 per ticket cancellation fee which is great for $15,000 worth of air tickets so $200 change fee was fine, until they did.it again.

I got a great deal now. 18 nights in Yacht club.

One issue with all the changes is it messes with the booking. Poor TA is subject to the bs. But I am a big client to them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HardToPort said:

Good post Styles. I think if someone has to upgrade to private suites and concierge service to get decent service then shame on the cruise line. Like you, I like NCL and never had a problem. 

my upcoming Divina cruise in April must be having issues selling out because I’m travelling solo and got a pretty awesome rate. Plus they’ve offered me a fairly cheap upgrade.

If the ship is jammed, I’ll survive because I’ll just go read and relax where the people aren’t. I can eat off peak, don’t mind sitting way back in the theatre and can always watch a movie in my room. But if I was travelling with family and wanted a more traditional cruising experience, I’d be disappointed if the ship was inadequately crewed. I have a positive experience with MSC from a pre Covid cruise and I hope they’re recovering. Lots of other options if they don’t. 

We love Divina. We had 2 great cruises on her before this last one. 
If you happen to be in the Black Crab dining room table 544 is a great table for 2 (or 1) and Generose is the best server if you can somehow request her section she will take good care

of you!
I hope you have a positive experience. Are you doing the Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica etc itinerary?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

All different cruises.  

I was given the option for a full refund on all but the issue is I lose on travel insurance which I purchased within 10-14 days for the pre existing clause.

On my upcoming April Splendida cruise in Saudi Arabia.  I had a 14 night cruise booked, then they changed embarkation port but also added 3 extra nights. So big airfare changes with $100 charge fee per ticket.

Same cruise, they then added an extra night at the end so my 14 night is now an 18 night and I again incurred the $100 fee which they did not cover.

I could have cancelled but I have an African safari pre cruise. I could have cancelled with a $250 per ticket cancellation fee which is great for $15,000 worth of air tickets so $200 change fee was fine, until they did.it again.

I got a great deal now. 18 nights in Yacht club.

One issue with all the changes is it messes with the booking. Poor TA is subject to the bs. But I am a big client to them.

You literally have the worst luck of anyone I know when it comes to changes to your trips. 

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

We book the insurance same for pre existing condition waiver and the insurance company though does not refund did extend it for use on future cruise up to 2 years. 

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

We love Divina. We had 2 great cruises on her before this last one. 
If you happen to be in the Black Crab dining room table 544 is a great table for 2 (or 1) and Generose is the best server if you can somehow request her section she will take good care

of you!
I hope you have a positive experience. Are you doing the Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica etc itinerary?

No. I’m doing the Miami - Ocean Cay - Roatan - Cozumel - Costa Maya - Miami.

I will definitely check out the Black Crab. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Please note that MSC is aware of the down market demographics that its restart prices were attracting.

As a result, changes gave been made where drink packages are not available on the shorter itineraries  where the booze cruise crowd were causing on board problems and may not be available, at MSC's discretion. on longer itineraries.

I recently booked a 4 day cruise with a drink package… really looking forward to the “down market” demographic experience…

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

" 'Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.' "

Well, I hope it wasn't an elephant safari. If so, they should have stayed in Alabama, where the Tuscaloosa. 

Elephant-Pajamas.gif.f6073ba532e5d118216396d82493c117.gif

On 2/12/2023 at 9:23 PM, styles27 said:

I’ve cruised with all of the ones you’ve listed and MSC. 

We enjoyed our first 2 cruises on MSC. The first was  2019 before Covid in the Yacht Club and was fantastic. 
The second was 11/2021 not in the Yacht Club but only 490 passengers total on board so again it was fantastic. 

MSC is hundreds of dollars less than the companies you listed. If you take that into consideration and set your expectations accordingly you may enjoy it. 

We will probably cruise with them again but will only book the YC going forward. 

Just booked with NCL for April. Paid more for that 7 day cruise than we paid for the 14 day MSC cruise so you can see why MSC is attracting a lot of people. 

haven't seen a kids sail free deal in a while. That should help.