Any experience with Classic Veranda Suite (specifically on the Silver Dawn)?

NYNJCRUISER

There is a significant price difference between the Deluxe and Classic Veranda Suites. It appears they are the exact same cabins, just in different locations. Has anyone sailed in the Classic and if so, are they satisfactory (so let's say, not next to the disco or above the engines)? I'm all for saving some money to spend elsewhere but we want to be comfortable (and rested)!

Thanks!

We sail in a Superior Verandah suite and did on the Dawn. The verandah suites are all the same. We choose the superior verandah as they are on deck 9 as the highest and we prefer a higher deck. But basically those on deck 9 are in a similiar position as those Classics on deck 6.

Forward and aft a bit more rocking which doesn't worry us.

I was on Dawn last month in a Classic on deck 5 and found it lovely. Great location near Dolce Vita and Guest Relations and I actually have the same cabin booked for a couple of upcoming cruises on Dawn as well.

1 hour ago, NYNJCRUISER said:

And no concerns with noise being near Dolce Vita and Guest Relations?

None at all.  You are near those venues but noise was never an issue for me. You are down the hall, depending on your cabin of course.  Never heard a peep!  Great location and quiet too🙂

If you take a look at the Dawn deck plans, you can see the cabins are forward. Some more forward than others.  If you look, you can see the hallway, then the lounge (mid ship) and Guest Relations.  It might give you a better idea of the cabin location. No noise issues at all.🙂

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/19/2023 at 9:53 PM, CruisinPashmina said:

My favorite cabins are on Deck 5…..very convenient location.

I will be in one on the Muse sailing around Japan in April. And I can’t wait!

We are booking our first Silversea cruise on Silver Moon. Are the deck 5 ones more "sheltered" than the Deck 6 ones? We love a sunny balcony. It's hard to tell when looking at photos of the side of the ship. 

3 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

We are booking our first Silversea cruise on Silver Moon. Are the deck 5 ones more "sheltered" than the Deck 6 ones? We love a sunny balcony. It's hard to tell when looking at photos of the side of the ship. 

I'm on the Silver Moon now - deck 9. When I look down all the balconies look similar as far as sun exposure. 

• Thanks 1

I have had a cabin on deck 5 on The Dawn multiple times........great location but I can't remember the sunny/shade balcony effect.  I just know I would book a cabin on this deck anytime😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

You need to figure out your direction, i.e., which way you are sailing for sun exposure. For example on a crossing, you would get sun in the morning on the port side, with afternoon sun on the starboard side. 

I love deck 5. Close to the water! And pretty stable. But i would chose something midship. Too close to the bow and it may get a bit bumpy!

1 minute ago, spinnaker2 said:

You need to figure out your direction, i.e., which way you are sailing for sun exposure. For example on a crossing, you would get sun in the morning on the port side, with afternoon sun on the starboard side. 

I love deck 5. Close to the water! And pretty stable. But i would chose something midship. Too close to the bow and it may get a bit bumpy!

Thanks to the three of you (@billc23 and @Lois R too) unfortunately in the time we were considering the most-midship Deck 5 one got swiped by someone else. So might be in 510 but I guess that shouldn't be too too bad. This cruise has about half the time in one direction and half in the other so it is pretty equal. On other ships I have sought ought balconies with a little overhead exposure (sometimes half and half, which is optimal!) rather than another balcony right on top but I don't think there really are any like that on SS or at least this class of ship. I am sure we'll be really happy either way. 

2 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

Thanks to the three of you (@billc23 and @Lois R too) unfortunately in the time we were considering the most-midship Deck 5 one got swiped by someone else. So might be in 510 but I guess that shouldn't be too too bad. This cruise has about half the time in one direction and half in the other so it is pretty equal. On other ships I have sought ought balconies with a little overhead exposure (sometimes half and half, which is optimal!) rather than another balcony right on top but I don't think there really are any like that on SS or at least this class of ship. I am sure we'll be really happy either way. 

Honestly in this class all suites are pretty much the same. Just higher up, which may mean more bounce. All the verandahs are great.

On 3/8/2024 at 8:38 AM, Lois R said:

I have had a cabin on deck 5 on The Dawn multiple times........great location but I can't remember the sunny/shade balcony effect.  I just know I would book a cabin on this deck anytime😀

We’re on deck 5 on the Dawn in June in Norway. Good to hear it’s a winner in your book! 

2 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

We’re on deck 5 on the Dawn in June in Norway. Good to hear it’s a winner in your book! 

Hi Carl, hop you both have a great cruise!😀and yes,  I do like that deck and I love that ship too!

• Like 1

Thanks, all. We are booking adjacent suites for our party. Does anyone have anecdotal experience with the balcony dividers being opened up once onboard or being denied? 

10 hours ago, sbcs5390 said:

Thanks, all. We are booking adjacent suites for our party. Does anyone have anecdotal experience with the balcony dividers being opened up once onboard or being denied? 

There was an extended family on my Dawn cruise who wanted the divider opened, but they were refused.  I heard on another family who were also refused.  “Safety” issues, but it seems a shame not allowing the double verandah to be shared by all

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We were looking at Classic Veranda on a new SS Moon cruise we booked (sister ship and identical to Dawn) but erred away from deck 5 for following reasons (rightly or wrongly):

1. The left side in particular is above some crew/service areas which we were concerned may generate noise. 

2. There are thicker superstructure uprights at some locations only on level 5 that may provide some suites with partial obscured balconies (see pic - level 5 is the lowest with balconies) and we didn't want to take that risk! 

Level 6 is better in all these respects imo. 

Being forward and lower decks you may hear the anchor being dropped (early in morning), or raised, at tender ports, but that would depend on your itinerary. 

Hth

1618-c848d692585.jpg