What happens if----------????

bazzaw

I know quite a few people who have travelled overseas lately - long trips to Europe, USA, Asia and even South America. Quite convoluted trips including cruises, bus tours, river cruises, flights all over the place - and have had no problems at all. I on the other hand go away on an 8 day cruise from Sydney and get isolated for half the cruise 😞 I have heard of people doing those very expensive train/cruise/coach trips in British Columbia being abandoned at one of the overnight hotels, left to fend for themselves and told to "take it up with your Travel Insurer"  because they tested positive to Covid. Right now I feel confident to drive and book hotels/motels in Australia and not fall foul of any "administrative" effects of Covid - but I have to apply my "what if" question to many other things. Even flying to London and booking into the Ritz is OK and the "what if" question has no impact. BUT - going on a cruise anywhere in the World - and things like coach trips fail the question completely. So that will be it for me from now on until these last Administrative requirements (isolation, masking, testing, vaccinating) are shelved.  This doesn't mean of course that I wont test , isolate, mask up and vaccinate  - but will avoid the necessity of having to do it. 

• Like 2

It was quite interesting on my recent cruise, there were a lot of Americans onboard who were surprised we were even having to test for Covid now. Evidently, there is no requirement to test before, during or after cruises out of America now and they didn't have to test to fly into Australia either! I'm not sure what the protocols are like throughout Europe and other areas of the world, I do know that the South Pacific is still very wary of Covid, hence having to have insurance and some destinations still refusing to allow cruise ships in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LincolnLegend said:

It was quite interesting on my recent cruise, there were a lot of Americans onboard who were surprised we were even having to test for Covid now. Evidently, there is no requirement to test before, during or after cruises out of America now and they didn't have to test to fly into Australia either! I'm not sure what the protocols are like throughout Europe and other areas of the world, I do know that the South Pacific is still very wary of Covid, hence having to have insurance and some destinations still refusing to allow cruise ships in.

I had not thought much about the requirements of various destinations . Of course I can understand the wariness of the small islands  - but this even confirms my need to answer the question " what if --" before booking things. 

• Like 1

We have traveled to the UK last June. Covid exists but it no longer hampers anything. We are doing a very convoluted cruise in May. There are no Covid restrictions at all. It isn't mentioned. There are no testing places. There is no media discussion other than Cammi today but that's because she can't be seen to spread the virus. No offloading if positive. No tests unless you want them. The rest of the world has moved on and dealing with it like the Flu. Stay home if sick or simply keep away from others if not. No need to isolate if asymptomatic.

Honestly Australia is the most difficult place to travel now on cruises with Covid restrictions. They simply don't exist in the Northern Hemisphere. Those days are gone assuming another virulent version doesn't happen. That's unlikely. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

I am planning a non-cruise trip to Japan with my children in a few months. Obviously, Covid on the mind (daughter has had it, neither my son nor I have).

Speaking to my gp today, she encouraged dose 5 as extra security.  She even checked to see if any opened vials were available today leading up to 20 Feb official date.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

The only people who still seem to panic are people on these cruise critic forums.

Perhaps cruising is not YET for these folks?

I think people are genuinely concerned not only for them selves but others in the high risk areas as well. I'm one of the people in the higher risk area, as I'm in my late 70s and asthmatic. But concern for people like me should not dictate how the majority are allowed to travel. I really think the what if's, should be my choice not what everyone else is required to do. When I travel I get all the advised inoculations recommended, and take all the med's that the doctor thinks is prudent for my health while travelling.

This is my choice and responsibility, no body else is responsible for me.

If the protocols are to stay ok, I will follow them, but surely they should be reviewed regularly, as to their appropriates in general for the majority of travellers?

I don't think I'm expressing myself as well as I should but you get the gist I'm sure.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I think people are genuinely concerned not only for them selves but others in the high risk areas as well. I'm one of the people in the higher risk area, as I'm in my late 70s and asthmatic. But concern for people like me should not dictate how the majority are allowed to travel. I really think the what if's, should be my choice not what everyone else is required to do. When I travel I get all the advised inoculations recommended, and take all the med's that the doctor thinks is prudent for my health while travelling.

This is my choice and responsibility, no body else is responsible for me.

If the protocols are to stay ok, I will follow them, but surely they should be reviewed regularly, as to their appropriates in general for the majority of travellers?

I don't think I'm expressing myself as well as I should but you get the gist I'm sure.

I understood you perfectly. I agree. If you are at risk then it's up to you to assess your own risks and plan accordingly, but not expect others to have to go to unusual means to protect you. 

I've booked in for No5 Covid. I caught Covid 6 weeks after No 4, in UK but was completely well. Husband caught Covid 4 weeks after No 4 and was a little unwell. He caught it in Scotland. 

Going on a fabulous international cruise in May. 

Edited by Pushka

7 hours ago, Pushka said:

Honestly Australia is the most difficult place to travel now on cruises with Covid restrictions. They simply don't exist in the Northern Hemisphere. Those days are gone assuming another virulent version doesn't happen. That's unlikely. 

In my planning I am finding NZ and Australia have some very strict rules, much different from any cruise are we have sailed pre-and post pandemic.  It is difficult to get it all straight, but at least they are trying to keep everyone safe. That is appreciated!

• Like 1

and what makes it all even worse is that it seems to me that every cruiseline is acting differently in how they are handling this - some even require Apps on phones. Cruising is no longer much fun here in Australia. I will cruise again - but only after ALL of these mandatory requirements cease. 

6 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

In my planning I am finding NZ and Australia have some very strict rules, much different from any cruise are we have sailed pre-and post pandemic.  It is difficult to get it all straight, but at least they are trying to keep everyone safe. That is appreciated!

Well, I'm not sure that the other cruise lines not using these restrictions are showing evidence that they aren't safe. I'm perfectly happy to abide by restrictions when they make sense. People can fly on a plane for 13 hours and not require testing. As it turned out, I tested positive within an hour of getting off a 13 hour flight into Australia. So I think it's a case of cruises bearing the 'crime' of the early Covid impact. We are all highly vaccinated. Need to move on. 

• Like 4

When we went to Europe last October, we had to test negative within 24 hours prior to the first cruise as testing prior was still required. The same applied to a coach tour with Gate 1 and also to our second cruise but that was due to Greece's requirements for cruises leaving it's ports.

Europe had no other requirements in place and even Greece had dropped  the cruise requirements by the end of November.

We did have some contingency plans in case we caught covid but we wore our masks, socially distanced and practiced good hand hygiene and we were lucky.

Did the pre cruise test in November for NZ and were negative   The whole ship was tested on 6th day after Christchurch and DH was positive   He was well did not have ANY symptoms but of course isolated in cabin  Was well looked after (even spoilt)  Another test for the whole ship 2 days before back in Australia and I was positive again not symptoms and well  No problems   If you are going to isolated being on a cruise ship and being looked after extremely well is the place to be (not at home doing everything for yourself)

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

If you are going to isolated being on a cruise ship and being looked after extremely well is the place to be (not at home doing everything for yourself)

Exactly!

My guess is that the current Covid requirements will ease at the end of of our current cruise season as long as a new nasty variant doesn't pop up. 

It will be interesting to see how the next couple of Princess Round Australia cruises go. Both Coral and Majestic are doing them, starting in the next month or so. The outbreak on our Round Australia cruise last year didn't really ramp up until around day 14 of the cruise. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Exactly!

My guess is that the current Covid requirements will ease at the end of of our current cruise season as long as a new nasty variant doesn't pop up. 

It will be interesting to see how the next couple of Princess Round Australia cruises go. Both Coral and Majestic are doing them, starting in the next month or so. The outbreak on our Round Australia cruise last year didn't really ramp up until around day 14 of the cruise. 

Agree. I'd expect business as usual next season. Unless a variant. Unlikely. There used to be a panic every time a ship visited SA. Now, you might hear days after the fact. We have a new state Govt here in SA, they came in less than 12 months ago. So not much Covid muck to handle. And they are trying to distance themselves from all the restrictions done during Covid (but which were completely necessary at the time). 

We cruised out of SF last July and Barcelona and last October  -both times we had to test negative at an authorised centre and get the paper work (not self-test). We are cruising out of Boston on HAL in July and as of now we may still need to test pre-cruise- HAL is still doing it for longer itineraries. 

I don't expect that cruise ships will stop isolating infectiously ill patients ever - this was a thing long before covid. 

And as per just what happened to a bunch of people booked on the Queen Elizabth ex Melbourne to NZ (they were cancelled with under 24 hours notice and given no options except for a refund) its always wise to have at least thought about a plan b 

15 hours ago, Pushka said:

I caught Covid 6 weeks after No 4, in UK but was completely well. Husband caught Covid 4 weeks after No 4 and was a little unwell.

Until the 15th of December I was as fit as a mallee bull, then I caught COVID from my husband.  He got anti-virals coz he's soooooooooo old but I, being the child bride, was not eligible.  Mr Bubbeh felt a little off for one or two days and then he was fine. I on the other hand, was most unwell for at least 10 days, I woke every morning wishing I'd died in my sleep.  I had 14 people for lunch at Christmas and to this day I don't know how I managed.  It's now two months on and about six weeks (24th December) since I tested negative and I'm still suffering.  I have ongoing issues which I fear very much will be with me for a long time if not the rest of my life.  While this may just be like the 'flu for some people, they are the lucky ones because it's certainly not like that for everyone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I have heard of people doing those very expensive train/cruise/coach trips in British Columbia being abandoned at one of the overnight hotels, left to fend for themselves and told to "take it up with your Travel Insurer"  because they tested positive to Covid.

That's terrifying. 

10 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Until the 15th of December I was as fit as a mallee bull, then I caught COVID from my husband.  He got anti-virals coz he's soooooooooo old but I, being the child bride, was not eligible.  Mr Bubbeh felt a little off for one or two days and then he was fine. I on the other hand, was most unwell for at least 10 days, I woke every morning wishing I'd died in my sleep.  I had 14 people for lunch at Christmas and to this day I don't know how I managed.  It's now two months on and about six weeks (24th December) since I tested negative and I'm still suffering.  I have ongoing issues which I fear very much will be with me for a long time if not the rest of my life.  While this may just be like the 'flu for some people, they are the lucky ones because it's certainly not like that for everyone.

I’m sorry for your battles with Covid. 

The way this virus messes with some and not others is baffling. I just hope the research is being done to find out why. 

I am on hydroxychloroquine for Lupus and have been for years. Which is what Trump always said was a preventive and treatment. Maybe he was right after all! 😱

I’m also on steroids for another issue meaning I qualify for the antivirals even though I’m under age. Trouble is I can’t take them because I’m on a blood thinner. I’d have to have three daily infusions in hospital. I hope if I catch Covid again I have the same experience as the first. But I won’t stop travelling. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I’m sorry for your battles with Covid. 

The way this virus messes with some and not others is baffling. I just hope the research is being done to find out why. 

There's just been an interesting breakthrough - from Australia no less ‘Crazy interesting’ findings by Australian researchers may reveal key to Covid immunity | Health | The Guardian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

I'm sorry but there is plenty of evidence that having that Xmas lunch was a very, very bad move.  Rest, rest and more rest. We weren't that sick-  only symptons for about a week - but spent at least a month afterwards absolutely knocked out if we did anything physical. 

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

So sorry to hear that. I have to admit I was afraid of that when I caught Covid but was one of the lucky ones, plus I got anti-virals.

I hope you do recover soon. Until then take care of yourself as much as you can.

19 minutes ago, lissie said:

I have an over active immune system. And several auto immune issues. Which means it also attacks - me! As well as the usual viral and bacterial infections. It switches on very quickly so maybe that article describes what happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

That's terrifying. 

That's what happens on any coach trip where you get sick and can't continue. They are not holding up the whole group because one person has an issue. This has always happened. I prefer to organize my own travel for many reasons - but I've always been perplexed by people who think having someone else do all the organization is a good thing! 

My partner collapsed with life-threatening illness in China - I guess if we'd been on a bus tour the  tour guide would have liaised with the cops before we were put on a local bus back to the last town with a hospital - a number of hours away.  Given we were independent I had to do that myself - but apart from that a tour company wouldn't have helped (and the insurance although they paid in the end were the cause of no end of stress at the time).  

I now have a deal  with my brother if anything catastrophic happens to us overseas he will fly in and help - and I'll do the same for him.