Binoculars on Viking

donaldsc

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

The last two ocean cruises we were on, there were no binoculars in the cabin.  But agree - bring your own anyway if you feel you want them.

Maybe not in the steerage cabins and I think the higher you go the better the quality. But ----- you should still BYO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Most stuff on Viking is of high quality.  However I would estimate that the supplied binoculars on ocean cruises cost them no more than $5 each.  If you feel that you need binoculars bring your own.

DON

Totally agree with ocean cruises. The expedition cruises provide nice binoculars. Wish those were on ocean!

We had a PV cabin with binoculars this past June. My 100 to 400 mm zoom lens on my camera was far better than the binoculars for seeing distant objects. Not to mention the fingerprints on the binocular lenses left over from the previous cabin passengers. The Viking provided binoculars are junk, definitely bring your own.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sabrefan said:

We had a PV cabin with binoculars this past June. My 100 to 400 mm zoom lens on my camera was far better than the binoculars for seeing distant objects. Not to mention the fingerprints on the binocular lenses left over from the previous cabin passengers. The Viking provided binoculars are junk, definitely bring your own.

Thanks for providing this comparison, as I took one look at the Viking binoculars and stowed them under the desk for the duration. Based on a full-frame sensor, your zoom lens at 400 mm should be the equivalent of 8x binoculars. The best magnification in the marine environment is 7x or 8x, so a 350 - 400 mm lens should be comparable, if Viking provided standard maine binoculars.

Discounting the quality of the Viking binoculars, this comparison really shows the poor specifications on the binoculars provided.

Personally, I bring my 10x50 perma-focus, which are stronger than recommended, but I've used them for many years. 

Just came off the Viking Venus and I purposefully checked out the provided binoculars. They are perfectly fine compact binoculars. Probably 4X20s, so not alot of reach but reasonably bright and sharp. Not a pair of 8X42 field glasses but not the trash some are suggesting Viking is providing. 

2 hours ago, Haqdeluxe said:

Just came off the Viking Venus and I purposefully checked out the provided binoculars. They are perfectly fine compact binoculars. Probably 4X20s, so not alot of reach but reasonably bright and sharp. Not a pair of 8X42 field glasses but not the trash some are suggesting Viking is providing. 

They get a bit better in the higher category cabins. Lower category gets either nothing or junk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THR said:

Anyone have any suggestions on brands/type? I don’t want to spend a lot as it is purely for our Into the Midnight Sun in June - but if they’re that bad, I would get my own.

You will get loads of suggestions on specific brands, so here is some info on the basic specifications of binoculars.

The first number is the magnification. In a marine environment, with a moving ship, to have clear viewing I suggest a maximum of 7 or 8. More powerful binoculars can have blurred picture with ship movement and vibration.

Second number is the amount of light able to enter the binoculars. Higher numbers have more light, but are bigger and heavier. Personally, I prefer the 2nd number to be 50. 

Prisms - usually are bak 4 or bak 7. Bak 7 are generally found in cheaper binoculars and have a tendency for blurred edges. Bak 4 prisms are the better option, but are more expensive.

Field of View - this is depends of the magnification and other factors. A larger field of view makes it easier to spot smaller objects. Measured as an angle, or feet at 1,000 yds. I look for about 350' at 1,000 yds.

Having spent about 40 yrs at sea with 2 companies, they both used Bushnell for the ahip binoculars. Therefore, I have continued using them. They certainly aren't the best, but they are adequate and reasonably priced. I also like the permafocus option, which provides focus from a few feet to infinity.

If I wanted some of the best binoculars, I would purchase Swarovski.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Andy, thanks - I had no concept that Swarovski made binoculars!

Then I looked up the pricing ... unless they come fully jewel-studded, they are out of my snack bracket big time 👿 (they must be exceptional, given the price difference from Bushnells).

Always nice to learn something new, however! 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

standard equipment on most Navy ships and larger Coast Guard Cutters

image.png.74840e32334ef93fe1a7768bd5e69814.png

while the bridge watch typically used 

Large, zoomable image of Steiner Marine 7x50. 1 of 15

https://www.steiner-optics.com/binoculars/military-marine-7x50

p.s. these are $420 .... but that's what 'professionals' who NEED quality optics pay . . . (actual military version is even more ...)

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

standard equipment on most Navy ships and larger Coast Guard Cutters

image.png.74840e32334ef93fe1a7768bd5e69814.png

while the bridge watch typically used 

Large, zoomable image of Steiner Marine 7x50. 1 of 15

https://www.steiner-optics.com/binoculars/military-marine-7x50

p.s. these are $420 .... but that's what 'professionals' who NEED quality optics pay . . . (actual military version is even more ...)

Probably one of those $2,500 toilet seats deal.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

We have had good service with the Steiner Safari pictured.  As the razor shows they are very compact, and light.  I also have a great Fujinon 7 x 50 that I used on ships but large and heavy. 

IMG_5330.jpeg

IMG_5331.jpeg

I have the same ones - hence the endorsement.

2 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Andy, thanks - I had no concept that Swarovski made binoculars!

Then I looked up the pricing ... unless they come fully jewel-studded, they are out of my snack bracket big time 👿 (they must be exceptional, given the price difference from Bushnells).

Always nice to learn something new, however! 🍺🥌

Rob - When I was trialing Gen III night-vision equipment for our fleet operation, in addition to the night vision gear, the vendor gave me a set of Swarovski binoculars to trial. They were virtually indestructible and had amazing optics. Sadly, when I returned the night vision gear, I also had to return the binoculars.

However, even 20 yrs ago they were over $2,000 each. When paying about $60 for Bushnells, even with a life-time guarantee, no way I could write a cost/benefit analysis, to satisfy the bean counters. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

You will get loads of suggestions on specific brands, so here is some info on the basic specifications of binoculars.

The first number is the magnification. In a marine environment, with a moving ship, to have clear viewing I suggest a maximum of 7 or 8. More powerful binoculars can have blurred picture with ship movement and vibration.

Second number is the amount of light able to enter the binoculars. Higher numbers have more light, but are bigger and heavier. Personally, I prefer the 2nd number to be 50. 

Prisms - usually are bak 4 or bak 7. Bak 7 are generally found in cheaper binoculars and have a tendency for blurred edges. Bak 4 prisms are the better option, but are more expensive.

Field of View - this is depends of the magnification and other factors. A larger field of view makes it easier to spot smaller objects. Measured as an angle, or feet at 1,000 yds. I look for about 350' at 1,000 yds.

Having spent about 40 yrs at sea with 2 companies, they both used Bushnell for the ahip binoculars. Therefore, I have continued using them. They certainly aren't the best, but they are adequate and reasonably priced. I also like the permafocus option, which provides focus from a few feet to infinity.

You left out one parameter - eye relief.  This is very important for those of us who wear glasses.

With regard to your Swarovski comment and I would add Leitz to the mix - you should never try out optics that you can not afford.  I would have bought the pair at the Leitz / Swarovski level but the divorce would not be worth it.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I purchased a pair (Celestron 8x42) for my first cruise on Holland America to Alaska and loved them.  

On the longer British Isles Explorer, there was just no room in the suitcase, and was grateful for the Viking ones in the room. But the Celestron’s would have been so much nicer.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, THR said:

Anyone have any suggestions on brands/type? I don’t want to spend a lot as it is purely for our Into the Midnight Sun in June

Here is a more sensibly priced recommendation than those you got from the old sea dogs 😁

I've done half a dozen cruises with these Nikons and find them ideal. Though, as a long time Canon camera user, I make the recommendation through gritted teeth 😉

Here they are called the Nikon Sportstar EX but I believe they are marketed in the US as Nikon trailblazers and sell for around $90.

They are good quality and work really well in practice, especially in the sea environment as they are waterproof and nitrogen filled to prevent misting. Best of all they really compact and easy to travel with. Below is a photograph of them alongside a coffee mug for scale.

I'm sure you will love the Midnight Sun, it was one of our favourite itineraries. 

image.thumb.jpeg.10a61e8b1abc79e351b7c457eb361fc8.jpeg

Edited by photopro2
missing word
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

You left out one parameter - eye relief.  This is very important for those of us who wear glasses.

With regard to your Swarovski comment and I would add Leitz to the mix - you should never try out optics that you can not afford.  I would have bought the pair at the Leitz / Swarovski level but the divorce would not be worth it.

DON

Don - yes, eye relief is a consideration for those that wear glasses. Fortunately, not something I have had to consider.