Live report - Iona G305 Canary Islands

db51

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from db51! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

db51 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Leaving today and thought I would post my thoughts on this cruise. I am very excited but slightly worried - 5200+ people and reports of queuing, poor food and bad internet! I have tried to do everything I can to avoid queuing too much- I have pre booked everything available, so Limelight booked for 2 nights, Sindu for 2 and Epicurian once. I wanted to book the Olive Grove and Beach House but although it says ‘coming soon’ on the planner they still aren’t bookable. I have  also booked all five available Headline Theatre acts, as well as getting the ‘Ultimate’ internet package - so it will be interesting to see if it works. We booked the Saver fare, so no car parking included so are using Parking4cruises which we haven’t used before. We have to text them 30 minutes before we arrive so hopefully they will be there. We have a boarding time of 11.45 so I am aiming to get everything else booked as soon as I get on and have the website/app my cruises all set up on my phone, as well as the last 6 digits of my boarding pass written down so that I can get on ‘my holiday’ as soon as possible - it has been quite exhausting trying to plan everything ( and possibly overkill!) 

• Like 19

It will be very interesting to read your live reports, as many of us are concerned about the same things as you (we are on Iona in August). It sounds as though you have done all the right things before you go. Don’t worry about using Parking4Cruises. They are great. In some ways I prefer them to CPS as it’s quicker. CPS tend to deploy a large queueing system and if you are an early boarder they can faff about for a while before they start checking cars in which is frustrating. With Parking4Cruises I tend to drop my wife and the luggage off in front of the terminal (in the pick up and drop off lane) and then just drive the very short distance to the short stay car park where they check the car in very quickly. The driver then just walks the very short distance back to the terminal. Dead simple and very quick. Have a fabulous cruise and do keep us updated! 

• Like 6

We are also on this cruise, travelling down tomorrow morning. I have also booked Limelight Club twice, Sindhu once and the Chefs Table. I have not booked Epicurean as we couldn’t eat five courses. I have not booked any entertainment, we will just take our chances. Looking forward to being on Iona, we have been on most of the other P&O ships and have always had a great time and have a friend who went on this same cruise last February and she had a great time, so fingers crossed for us. See you there.

• Like 9

I concur with Selbourne about Parking4Cruises; we used them for the first time last September and they were great. We gave them a time of 09:30 for return, and when we docked a lot earlier than that, I was concerned my estimate was too late. I need not have been; when I checked my dash cam later, it had been brought back at 07:00.

I have a feeling that Olive Grove is now on the virtual queue system.

If you fancy the 710 club, I would suggest you try and book whilst in the terminal or as soon as you board, as it was booked solid on Arvia last month.

Have a fantastic cruise🙂

• Like 1

We’ve used Parking4Cruises several times with no issues whatsoever. We changed to them after waiting over an hour to hand over the car keys to CPS back in 2015 for a Britannia cruise. I dread to think how CPS gets on these days with the even bigger ships.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DamianG said:

We’ve used Parking4Cruises several times with no issues whatsoever. We changed to them after waiting over an hour to hand over the car keys to CPS back in 2015 for a Britannia cruise. I dread to think how CPS gets on these days with the even bigger ships.

We're using CPS for the first time in September, but only because the trade off of £120 OBC worked out cheaper than other suppliers. I hope we don't have a bad experience.

Your browser should remember your login details so you shouldn't need to write down your last 6 digits, of course they are also on your cruise card which you carry everywhere. Interested you went for the ultimate internet package, do you intend streaming video/TV? Also will you actually use it on port days or are you better off just buying it for sea days?

Have used CPS 31 times since 2001 and never had any issues . Waiting time varies but generally pretty good. Key collection quick .Last two cruise were Iona no different at collection point .Always booked select price included the parking .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, db51 said:

We

6 hours ago, db51 said:

We booked the Saver fare, so no car parking included so are using Parking4cruises which we haven’t used before. We have to text them 30 minutes before we arrive so hopefully they will be there.

We have used Parking4Cruises many times. In my opinion much easier than using CPS. We gave up texting them 30 minutes before as we know they will be there waiting. They have a big enough operation that they will be there to deal with early disembarker’s off the previous cruise as well as then waiting for the new cruise people. We used to be instructed to text them on disembarkation day as well but I never do that either anymore as the car is always there (if doing self disembarkation I would probably follow any specific requests to contact them I.e. during breakfast to let them know you are disembarking early). We now get off with the first lot of normal disembarkation and the car is already there waiting. 

Last cruise we did use CPS due to taking select booking with too much OBC, can’t wait to go back to Parking4Cruises next cruise in April. We have priority boarding and as we have a few hours of driving I do tend to be cautious on timing. Last cruise we arrived at 10.30am and had to pay for short term parking as CPS didn’t start taking cars till gone 11am. Parking4Cruises would have taken our car straight away. They also ask whether we need help with cases, that is a bonus as I am approaching 60 and my mother mid 80’s. I so far normally decline as I am capable but when I did use CPS we had no such offer. On disembarkation day I felt particularly bad as an elderly couple were asking for help loading their car but no one would help and I couldn’t as I had broken my arm on the cruise.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, smokey01 said:

They also ask whether we need help with cases, that is a bonus as I am approaching 60 and my mother mid 80’s. I so far normally decline as I am capable but when I did use CPS we had no such offer. On disembarkation day I felt particularly bad as an elderly couple were asking for help loading their car but no one would help and I couldn’t as I had broken my arm on the cruise.

Given what they charge regular punters, that is a poor show from CPS.😠

Just now, TigerB said:

Given what they charge regular punters, that is a poor show from CPS.😠

Unless you have parking as part of your select package, I cannot imagine why anyone would now use CPS,  given their new, sky high prices. It is as if they are deliberately driving (sic) customers away.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Unless you have parking as part of your select package, I cannot imagine why anyone would now use CPS,  given their new, sky high prices. It is as if they are deliberately driving (sic) customers away.

It looks like other providers have also increased prices. 

Ah - interesting ! Am on G 306 directly after this, and as a 'returnee' to P&O ( 1 Dec. cruise only; much prefer MSC!) after 10 years, the pre-cruise problems are far greater than expected !

Only today, after a forum 'tip' (not this forum, sadly) managed to book 3 Skydome nights from the very, very few remaining (had absolutely NO clue they were available)....& have every intention of being up at midnight tonight, after which some of our restaurants are apparently bookable - and they call this a holiday !

Do hope, please, there are some more 'live' updates from on board (not the itinerary, we're doing Spain & Portugal mainland), but rather on how/if it all works. Frankly, thus far, I rather wish I hadn't bothered !

• Like 4

10 hours ago, db51 said:

Leaving today and thought I would post my thoughts on this cruise. I am very excited but slightly worried - 5200+ people and reports of queuing, poor food and bad internet! I have tried to do everything I can to avoid queuing too much- I have pre booked everything available, so Limelight booked for 2 nights, Sindu for 2 and Epicurian once. I wanted to book the Olive Grove and Beach House but although it says ‘coming soon’ on the planner they still aren’t bookable. I have  also booked all five available Headline Theatre acts, as well as getting the ‘Ultimate’ internet package - so it will be interesting to see if it works. We booked the Saver fare, so no car parking included so are using Parking4cruises which we haven’t used before. We have to text them 30 minutes before we arrive so hopefully they will be there. We have a boarding time of 11.45 so I am aiming to get everything else booked as soon as I get on and have the website/app my cruises all set up on my phone, as well as the last 6 digits of my boarding pass written down so that I can get on ‘my holiday’ as soon as possible - it has been quite exhausting trying to plan everything ( and possibly overkill!) 

I will be following along and wish you a fabulous cruise.

We have been on Iona twice including the canary Islands cruise from Tenerife which we enjoyed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jennizor said:

We are also on this cruise, travelling down tomorrow morning. I have also booked Limelight Club twice, Sindhu once and the Chefs Table. I have not booked Epicurean as we couldn’t eat five courses. I have not booked any entertainment, we will just take our chances. Looking forward to being on Iona, we have been on most of the other P&O ships and have always had a great time and have a friend who went on this same cruise last February and she had a great time, so fingers crossed for us. See you there.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks Graham, just finished packing and having a quiet evening. Our neighbour and friend is taking us to the pick up point (Bolton Wanderers Football Ground) at 7.15. Really looking forward to being on Iona. Two more cruises this year, perhaps one day we will bump into you and Pauline. X

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Thanks Graham, just finished packing and having a quiet evening. Our neighbour and friend is taking us to the pick up point (Bolton Wanderers Football Ground) at 7.15. Really looking forward to being on Iona. Two more cruises this year, perhaps one day we will bump into you and Pauline. X

Bon Voyage. Hope you have a fantastic time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliveJ said:

Ah - interesting ! Am on G 306 directly after this, and as a 'returnee' to P&O ( 1 Dec. cruise only; much prefer MSC!) after 10 years, the pre-cruise problems are far greater than expected !

Only today, after a forum 'tip' (not this forum, sadly) managed to book 3 Skydome nights from the very, very few remaining (had absolutely NO clue they were available)....& have every intention of being up at midnight tonight, after which some of our restaurants are apparently bookable - and they call this a holiday !

Do hope, please, there are some more 'live' updates from on board (not the itinerary, we're doing Spain & Portugal mainland), but rather on how/if it all works. Frankly, thus far, I rather wish I hadn't bothered !

The skydome wasn't a bookable venue when we were in board, just turn up, only got off a week ago. Did you mean skydone? The acoustics in the skydome are terrible, if you are planning to go to a music show don't bother they will find terrible. Even the officer of the watch at noon is terrible

2 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

What is the App name for booking restaurants etc whilst on board. Can I load the App prior to boarding? 

There is no App, it's a web page on the intranet, from memory myholiday.pocruises.com, there will be an information leaflet on board as to how to use it.

Edited by Advanced Diver

3 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Say hello to Pauline and I Jenn, if you see us, I will be the old Codger pushing a black and silver framed Orbit wheelchair, Pauline will be trying her best to stop me from running into the heels of those blocking our path!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Stu UK said:

It looks like other providers have also increased prices. 

Fortunately we have all our Southampton parking booked for this year. 

Realistically,  I am sure that all  other parking companies  will be reviewing their charges.  Hopefully they will not be implementing the same level of  increase that Carnival have instructed CPS to impose.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Fortunately we have all our Southampton parking booked for this year. 

Realistically,  I am sure that all  other parking companies  will be reviewing their charges.  Hopefully they will not be implementing the same level of  increase that Carnival have instructed CPS to impose.

Do we know if P&O are still allowing select passengers to change to free parking on existing bookings, and are new bookings getting an uplift to the OBC option in line with the new parking charges?

1 hour ago, Advanced Diver said:

The skydome wasn't a bookable venue when we were in board, just turn up, only got off a week ago. Did you mean skydone? The acoustics in the skydome are terrible, if you are planning to go to a music show don't bother they will find terrible. Even the officer of the watch at noon is terrible

Perhaps not Skydome - shows were put up directly under the blurb about Skydome, but looking at the bookings it talks about decks 6/7, so must mean the main theatre. Maybe acoustics a little better there !