Genuine ? not trying to start controversy

NewPosterLongTimeLurker

We will be sailing Majestic Princess in July with our adult daughters (20 & 22) in an inside cabin very close to our suite.  When we arrive in Vancouver, we have priority disembark and obviously our kids won't.  Can we have their luggage taken down with ours the evening before and have them self-disembark?   My TA suggested this may work, as they could grab their luggage on their way out and wait for us to meet them on the curb by the airport transfer.  Their luggage will likely be that of 1/2 their body weight, so having them carry it off seems to be an unlikely option. 

My biggest concern is their being assigned a later disembarkation time and our flight being at 1pm, that we may miss our flight. I am trying to avoid a mad and frenzied ending.  Somewhat irritated with our TA for booking it so close, ending vacation feeling like my hair is on fire is not a way to end our trip.  Ironically, I haven't ever used a TA to help our travels, but with such an expensive and lengthy trip, I thought logistically it may be better.  Everything else seems to be actually have been beneficial, however I am full of angst with the disembarkment aspect.

Other options/suggestions are certainly welcome.  Again, I am only trying to be prepared and not wanting to start an outrage, so please keep that in mind with responses. 

Having your luggage collected the night before is always an option for any guest.  The *fastest* (in my opinion) is self-disembarkation...but you have already stated that this is probably not in the cards.  Are you *sure* this is not feasible?  

You did not state where your flight leaves from...is it Vancouver or Seattle?  I have never arrived/departed from Vancouver so can't directly address this.

Getting a Princess transfer to the airport (while potentially a bit pricey) somewhat alleviates the concern over disembark time.

• Like 1

What an excellent idea!

Make sure your daughters’ bags are by your door.  

Make sure they are tagged with your disembarkation tags.  You can always request more. 
Have them self disembark/walk off unassisted.  Usually this is the first group off…before you.

Have them waiting for you.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4

Here is one solution that I would consider.  When you receive your colored luggage tags, you usually get at least 4 sometimes 5 tags, see if you have enough to place on your daughters bags.  If not, go to Guest Services and ask for extra tags, enough to place on your daughters bags.  Place all of your luggage out with the same colored tags attached.

Then when they call you color tag to disembark in the morning, you can all walk off together. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NewPosterLongTimeLurker said:

My biggest concern is their being assigned a later disembarkation time and our flight being at 1pm, that we may miss our flight

Ask for an early disembark time. If we don't like the one assigned we go to guest relations and get tags for an earlier time. At many ports they don't put out all the bigs at once because of space so if they go early disembark that does not mean the bags will be out yet. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Having your luggage collected the night before is always an option for any guest.  The *fastest* (in my opinion) is self-disembarkation...but you have already stated that this is probably not in the cards.  Are you *sure* this is not feasible?  

You did not state where your flight leaves from...is it Vancouver or Seattle?  I have never arrived/departed from Vancouver so can't directly address this.

Getting a Princess transfer to the airport (while potentially a bit pricey) somewhat alleviates the concern over disembark time.

We do have Princess transfers, but I wasn't sure if self disembark passengers even went through the suitcases for pick up area.  We are flying out of Vancouver and I hear the immigration can be lengthy and I definitely will want them to wait for us to board the Princess Transfer Bus so I will know they got through ok before heading to our gates.

Just now, NewPosterLongTimeLurker said:

We do have Princess transfers, but I wasn't sure if self disembark passengers even went through the suitcases for pick up area.  We are flying out of Vancouver and I hear the immigration can be lengthy and I definitely will want them to wait for us to board the Princess Transfer Bus so I will know they got through ok before heading to our gates.

Like I said...I cannot speak to a disembarkation at Vancouver...but *generally* all passengers walk through the luggage collection area at most ports (at least all of the ports that *we* have been to.)

4 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Here is one solution that I would consider.  When you receive your colored luggage tags, you usually get at least 4 sometimes 5 tags, see if you have enough to place on your daughters bags.  If not, go to Guest Services and ask for extra tags, enough to place on your daughters bags.  Place all of your luggage out with the same colored tags attached.

Then when they call you color tag to disembark in the morning, you can all walk off together. 

They're allowed to come with us?  That would be ideal!  I would have thought they'd be assigned a different time, and not allowed.  I thought that is why the TA suggested let them do self disembarkation.  Does no one check that they're assigned with us?

I’m not sure a taxi can fit all 4 of you AND luggage.  Cheapest way to get to the airport.  Check to see if there is a bus shuttle service to the airport. Last option would be Princess Transfers. 

You will need to clear customs and immigrations at the airport.  This will be your hold up for a 1 pm flight.  Hope for the best, Expect a delay.  

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Like I said...I cannot speak to a disembarkation at Vancouver...but *generally* all passengers walk through the luggage collection area at most ports (at least all of the ports that *we* have been to.)

I have not ever done self-disembark so I had no idea what it entailed, but that makes sense.  I appreciate it and the welcome.  🙂

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I’m not sure a taxi can fit all 4 of you AND luggage.  Cheapest way to get to the airport.  Check to see if there is a bus shuttle service to the airport. Last option would be Princess Transfers. 

You will need to clear customs and immigrations at the airport.  This will be your hold up for a 1 pm flight.  Hope for the best, Expect a delay.  

This is my fear!  The TA said the ship transfer is the best option.  She has been amazing with our land tour recommendations as well our excursions.  However, this part has me flummoxed.

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

What an excellent idea!

Make sure your daughters’ bags are by your door.  

Make sure they are tagged with your disembarkation tags.  You can always request more. 
Have them self disembark/walk off unassisted.  Usually this is the first group off…before you.

Have them waiting for you.  

This is essentially what the TA has advised us to do.  But the airport transfer from Princess is giving me pause, and your other response is exactly why.  Thank you

Hold on. You've booked the Princess transfer to the airport for all 4 of you? Then you should all be given luggage tags to coincide with the shuttle transfer departure times,  which will be early. A few  days before disembarkation you should be given a form asking for flight departure info. You'll be assigned a place and time to meet before going to the luggage hall and then to the coach.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NewPosterLongTimeLurker said:

This is my fear!  The TA said the ship transfer is the best option.  She has been amazing with our land tour recommendations as well our excursions.  However, this part has me flummoxed.

Ship transfers are set up to make the flight so I would not worry about missing it. Also we have often done groups and gone down to guest relations to change tags so we can go together. No problem.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mom says said:

Hold on. You've booked the Princess transfer to the airport for all 4 of you? Then you should all be given luggage tags to coincide with the shuttle transfer departure times,  which will be early. A few  days before disembarkation you should be given a form asking for flight departure info. You'll be assigned a place and time to meet before going to the luggage hall and then to the coach.

Oh that's excellent.  We normally stay a few days before/after but we have been to Vancouver many times.  Knowing how the airport and immigration are there, I have a lot anxiety about feeling pressed for time.  Thanks for the reassurance.

As long as your flight is within Princess' requirements, you should be fine with a Princess transfer that includes collecting all bags the night before (other than what you choose to hand carry off in the morning) and transporting them to the airport for you.

Vancouver

Embarking Passengers
For voyages that depart from Vancouver, the latest flight arrival is 3 hours prior to ship's departure.

Disembarking Passengers
For voyages that arrive in Vancouver, the earliest flight departure is 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival.

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Ship transfers are set up to make the flight so I would not worry about missing it. Also we have often done groups and gone down to guest relations to change tags so we can go together. 

Again another reassuring post.  My TA seems to think I am worried about nothing, but I know how that last morning and YVR can be.  Thank you

Just now, kamelia said:

As long as your flight is within Princess' requirements, you should be fine with a Princess transfer that includes collecting all bags the night before (other than what you choose to hand carry off in the morning) and transporting them to the airport for you.

Vancouver

Embarking Passengers
For voyages that depart from Vancouver, the latest flight arrival is 3 hours prior to ship's departure.

Disembarking Passengers
For voyages that arrive in Vancouver, the earliest flight departure is 4 hours and 30 minutes after ship's arrival.

So we don't even collect our own bags?  Excellent!  This is why I am a long time lurker, there is always great information to be seen here.  Thank you!

1 minute ago, NewPosterLongTimeLurker said:

So we don't even collect our own bags?  Excellent!  This is why I am a long time lurker, there is always great information to be seen here.  Thank you!

I don't recall having to collect them in the terminal as part of customs, but even if you do, it should just be a matter of taking them down the hallway through customs, and then there should be a porter to re-collect them and take them to the bus/airport for you.  Still a whole lot less effort than getting them from your stateroom to a taxi. 

A couple things.  First off if you are in a full suite the new policy is to provide a single color tag and the suite passengers can depart at their leisure.  So getting extra tags from the suite concierge and having your daughters walk off and grab their luggage in that area would work well.

If for whatever reason they aren't doing that you can always go to Passenger Services (or better yet the suite concierge) and ask for all of you to be assigned the same disembarkation time.

Finally, when we have disembarked from Vancouver in the past with a Princess airport transfer we were given the option onboard to pick up our luggage at the airport.  It was called something like direct to airport (or direct to bus??) where they will whisk your party out a side door on the ship and will walk you directly to the bus, skipping the madness inside the terminal.  Then when you get to the airport there should be a roped area with all of the luggage.  It was free.  IF they are doing this it's a tremendous timesaver although I don't think you have much to worry about with 1 PM flights even if they aren't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewPosterLongTimeLurker said:

You still have to collect your luggage and go through customs.  You then will be directed to your Princess bus #.  Give the driver your transfer ticket.  Your luggage will be stored under the bus and removed at the airport. 
Your other option is for everyone do walk off with your luggage in hand, go through customs and either pre book a driver with a van or wait for a taxi that is a van type vehicle able to transport everything.

Someone mentioned that Princess takes your bags the night before as usual but takes them to the airport for you.  This has never been the case for us.  We had to get the bags and Princess loaded then onto the bus.  Honestly, I would prefer my luggage is on the same bus as me.  I don’t want to get to the airport and find one of my bags is missing from the other bus.

Edited by Lady Arwen