Butler confusion...

Michele035

3 hours ago, islabahia said:

We have been providing our butler a list on every cruise.  It indicates what night(s) we are specialty dining (reservations are made prior to boarding), what night we will be dining in our suite (we want to provide a few days notice so that our butler can plan accordingly (we do not request having our meal served course by course, booked shore excursions, etc.  Anything that will make it easier for him/her!

I print out a copy of the communication between Shoreside and I and leave it on the dining table.

I certainly do not find this to be rude at all.  If it helps the staff to better know know schedules so be it.  It has always worked out well for us and hopefully the crew as well.

No it is not rude.  It is a communication to help the butler with scheduling.  That is quite different than handing the butler a list of daily tasks and chores IMHO. 

• Like 1

What the butler will provide in the mini fridge is always a hot topic, is it or is it not included in the drinks package. Before Covid Celebrity had a "Drinks and More" package that did include premium bottled water and some adult beverages in the cabin fridge. After Covid that package disappeared. I can only speak from my experience post covid in a Sky suite. In 2021 on the Equinox, the first day our butler asked us what we wanted in the mini fridge and we told him that we do not drinks soda but preferred Evian bottled water, red wine and beer, which he kept stocked the whole cruise at no charge. Last year on the Reflection from Rome when we boarded the mini fridge was totally empty and when we met our butler the first day I mentioned the fridge was empty and he said since we had the premium drinks, he would keep it stocked with whatever we wanted, again we got wine, Evian water and beer the whole cruise for no extra cost. Our butler also left a bottled of prosecco on two occasions in an ice bucket. On both cruises our butler also told us that if we wanted a drink from the bar he would be more than happy to get them for us and bring them to the cabin, which they did several times. Is this something I expect going forward?  I do not but if it happens I will not complain. My big fear with all the discussion here and Celebrity's greed for more cash this extra from our butlers may end by them cracking down on butlers who give away too much. BTW, I did give extra tips to both of our butlers the last day of the cruise.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 12:29 AM, miched said:

I don’t know where people came up with the idea to give them a check list of what they want and expect.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It is not rude at all, it is showing respect for the busy and difficult lives the butlers lead. You are giving them a check list they can complete in their own time. They are not having to rely on memory, no head scratching of ‘did the guests request firm or soft pillows?’. A written copy is especially useful if the shoreside information doesn’t come through.

What would you rather have if you were a butler, to  be given a clear list for bar set up or have to start scribbling down names of spirits, lagers, sodas etc?

Would you prefer as a butler on a busy boarding day to have to write down dining and venue times for a 10 night cruise or be given a clearly printed chart to follow when you get time to do it?

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, Michele035 said:

this is awesome!  thank  you so much!  I also remember someone mentioning a written list to give them.  No, I don't think I could ever be that person.  I am just so darned happy to be in a suite! 🙂

In a CS, as others have said, the perks are different than the higher suites where a full bar set up and unlimited speciality dining are included. This can involve quite a bit of information, especially if the guests are going to dine in speciality restaurants most nights. It is more in these suites that a list can help the butler. 

Sincere best wishes for a wonderful suite cruise. Remember if you don’t contact the butler to request anything you may see little of him. Some guests don’t use the butler and you don’t always see them as you leave/return to your room. Sadly on CC from time to time people report their butler ‘did nothing’ but it becomes clear that sometimes they simply haven’t said they would like things like coffee every morning or a snack plate in the afternoon…The butler’s don’t usually just ‘knock on’ to see if you want anything, they respect your privacy and will wait for you to phone them if you do want anything.

Also remember if you have any unexpected issues, for example, a missing button or you are returning from an excursion with wet shoes butlers are great at sorting out things like this for you. Similarly the Retreat Concierge will deal with any issues like a wrong payment without needing to use guest services.

22 minutes ago, chemmo said:

It is not rude at all, it is showing respect for the busy and difficult lives the butlers lead. You are giving them a check list they can complete in their own time. They are not having to rely on memory, no head scratching of ‘did the guests request firm or soft pillows?’. A written copy is especially useful if the shoreside information doesn’t come through.

What would you rather have if you were a butler, to  be given a clear list for bar set up or have to start scribbling down names of spirits, lagers, sodas etc?

Would you prefer as a butler on a busy boarding day to have to write down dining and venue times for a 10 night cruise or be given a clearly printed chart to follow when you get time to do it?

Funny thing is that every Butler I've ever had just remembered everything without scribbling down anything.  They are pretty impressive- or I have been just lucky.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Funny thing is that every Butler I've ever had just remembered everything without scribbling down anything.  They are pretty impressive- or I have been just lucky.

Agree, I think they are pretty impressive!

However, a big different from asking them verbally to make one or two speciality restaurant reservations vs a full dining itinerary for the cruise. We have mid cruise, before now, checked our own lists to remind ourselves where we are dining that night and at what time!

7 hours ago, islabahia said:

We have been providing our butler a list on every cruise.  It indicates what night(s) we are specialty dining (reservations are made prior to boarding), what night we will be dining in our suite (we want to provide a few days notice so that our butler can plan accordingly (we do not request having our meal served course by course, booked shore excursions, etc.  Anything that will make it easier for him/her!

I print out a copy of the communication between Shoreside and I and leave it on the dining table.

I certainly do not find this to be rude at all.  If it helps the staff to better know know schedules so be it.  It has always worked out well for us and hopefully the crew as well.

It's not rude.  Our butler was appreciative of having our list (which was really only a few little things) rather than depend on him/her to remember everything said.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We've had some take notes and some not.  I'm perfectly happy to see someone take notes, especially at embarkation when all hell is breaking loose.  I'm more confident that it'll get done.

New to the board and generally to cruising. We just did our first cruise on Carnival last week (with the in-laws to the Caribbean) but the wife and I are doing an Alaska cruise in a Sky Suite on Solstice in September. Now that we're empty-nesters, I suspect we'll be cruising a lot more often, as we really enjoyed the cruise last week.

Anyway, just came here to say that I've got a lot of learning to do before September. I knew Celebrity and being in the Retreat would be a gigantic step up from Carnival (although we highly enjoyed the Havana Cabana experience and the exclusive pool/bar area for sunbathing), but I guess I need to properly prepare for our Celebrity cruise. I'll be soaking all of the information up on this board.

Cheers and smooth sailing!

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 7:29 PM, miched said:

I found that not being too demanding up front and not treating him as your own personal servant gets better results.  

I don’t know where people came up with the idea to give them a check list of what they want and expect.  That is rude.  I seen this on another thread where they did that and were irate because their demands weren’t granted.   They said that the butler just took the paper and shoved it in his pocket without looking at it and never gave them anything that they requested 

On the first day they should try to contact you.   Naturally if you aren’t in the cabin they wont be able to do that but don’t hang around for it as it may not happen.  They are busy meeting with other guests.   They will eventually meet you.  

When you do meet they usually will tell you what can they do for you.  Just listen and be polite.   Don’t start making demands.   When they are done get to know them as a person and take interest in them,  then politely ask if it is possible to maybe serve ( example americano in the morning).       It will lead to good and better things.  Trust me    

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We make a checklist for both butlers or room stewards depending on class of room.  We do so not to be demanding but rather to make life easier for them.  We discuss it politely and with a smile and good intent when they come to introduce themselves. Our requests are not extravagant, things like an extra pillow, more hangers, daily ice in the bucket etc.  I don't see why this would be considered rude,  handled and presented politely.  To me handing them cash upfront to in effect 'bribe' them I think is unnecessary and bordering on rude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, PH2 said:

New to the board and generally to cruising. We just did our first cruise on Carnival last week (with the in-laws to the Caribbean) but the wife and I are doing an Alaska cruise in a Sky Suite on Solstice in September. Now that we're empty-nesters, I suspect we'll be cruising a lot more often, as we really enjoyed the cruise last week.

Anyway, just came here to say that I've got a lot of learning to do before September. I knew Celebrity and being in the Retreat would be a gigantic step up from Carnival (although we highly enjoyed the Havana Cabana experience and the exclusive pool/bar area for sunbathing), but I guess I need to properly prepare for our Celebrity cruise. I'll be soaking all of the information up on this board.

Cheers and smooth sailing!

You are correct the Celebrity Suite will be so far above your Carnival experience. Once we did our first Retreat cruise it made it impossible to go back to anything less on Celebrity. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 1:55 PM, Mark_K said:

The name has changed, and then changed back.  

On our last cruise, the butler asked us what our favorite drinks were, and from then on kept the mixers and glass or two of the liquor in the fridge. One day I had a Bud Light and left the empty in the room, the next day there were a couple in the fridge.  The point being, that is you have a really good butler you won’t have to ask them.

My sympathies. 😁

There has been a similar discussion about Butlers providing adult beverages at no cost with the premium drinks package on the popular social media site we are not supposed to mention here. I posted about our experiences with butlers providing us wine and beer in our Sky Suites at no cost for our 3 post covid cruises. I got a very nasty private message from someone claiming to be a Celebrity Shore concierge service representative, who is a member of that group. She basically called me a liar and that Celebrity's policy is clear butlers are not supposed to do this and that I was misleading people in the group by lying about what we got in our SS.  She left a very bad taste with me and I sent here a very nasty response back.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, terrydtx said:

There has been a similar discussion about Butlers providing adult beverages at no cost with the premium drinks package on the popular social media site we are not supposed to mention here. I posted about our experiences with butlers providing us wine and beer in our Sky Suites at no cost for our 3 post covid cruises. I got a very nasty private message from someone claiming to be a Celebrity Shore concierge service representative, who is a member of that group. She basically called me a liar and that Celebrity's policy is clear butlers are not supposed to do this and that I was misleading people in the group by lying about what we got in our SS.  She left a very bad taste with me and I sent here a very nasty response back.

Wow, just wow.  what the heck!?  Now THAT makes me very upset.  That someone went about to look at your message and DM you?  really not right....Makes me pretty annoyed at Celebrity!

21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I thought the DM feature on here was disabled?

18 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I thought the DM feature on here was disabled?

It was not on CC, this was on another well known social media site. It was in a private group on that site for Celebrity Retreat passengers.

Edited by terrydtx

21 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Honestly how would you know if she was who she said she was?

14 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Honestly how would you know if she was who she said she was?

That is why I said "Claiming" to be who she said she was. I also reported her to that group's administrator and she disappeared from the group that day. 

• Like 2

That was pretty tacky of her.  But then I was not allowed to join that group because I didn’t have a photo on my account.  Apparently there are appearances standards for that group.

I do sometimes wonder though when a waiter, cabin attendant, butler, etc does something special (not normally provided) and it gets posted if that is setting an unrealistic expectation for other passengers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

That was pretty tacky of her.  But then I was not allowed to join that group because I didn’t have a photo on my account.  Apparently there are appearances standards for that group.

I do sometimes wonder though when a waiter, cabin attendant, butler, etc does something special (not normally provided) and it gets posted if that is setting an unrealistic expectation for other passengers. 

Totally agree. I think a lot of ‘above and beyond’ experiences happened when the ships first sailed post covid with low numbers of guests. Much easier then for butlers to offer to bring guests drinks to their rooms when bars were empty, much more time consuming with a full ship.

I also think that as posters we need to make clear when giving advice what is ‘included’ with a room category and what is an extra, a bonus, a treat. For example, all guests can expect to be served dinner from the MDR menu. However, even in the higher suites, dining from an alternative menu (Luminae, speciality restaurants) is not included. The availability of this may vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise and for the benefit of all restaurant guests they may have to say no to requests for anything other than the standard MDR. I guess the snag is the more guests that request Luminae in suite service the more likely it is that the M’D and suite manager decide that they have to say a blanket ‘no’ to everyone. Especially if some guests are requesting it frequently rather than as a one off. Equally, if only a few SS guests request the minibar to be restocked butlers are likely to be able to accommodate but if lots of SS guests board expecting this then again staff may need to enforce the rule more.

We board expecting the perks we have paid for and are delighted when we are granted a special request and we ensure we don’t ask for many and always ask in advance….

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1