Equinox- Finally made it back to Celebrity after 3 years!!

jean87510

7 minutes ago, lorimay said:

We're on this cruise with you and just be glad you can eat in Blu and not the MDR. It's a mess. The ship is full and there were no MDR select dining reservations available before the cruise. We knew we'd have to wait with our recent experiences on Beyond and Summit, so expected not to be seated immediately. We tried to get select dining reservations on board, but the dining concierge said she couldn't do anything except 5:30 or 8:30.

First night we arrived at 7:00pm because on our other cruises this year, this was a good time. People going to the 7pm cruise had just left. Stood in line for 10 minutes (it was a madhouse with lines on both sides of deck 4 - the upper deck of the dining room) and got a beeper. Waited almost 30 minutes for a table. Service was so slow (and those waiters are working hard) that we missed the 9pm show. Clearly understaffed.  

They are serving champagne as you wait in line so they know it's an issue. I don't think it's just to be nice.

Last night we didn't want to miss the 9pm show, so we arrived at 6:30. This time they had clear signs - left podium for reservations and right podium for those of us without reservations. After we got our beeper (5 minutes in line) and waited 45 minutes for a table. Once seated, waited and waited for service. One starter each and a main course, no drinks, and we finally got a dessert menu at 8:35. Dirty dishes sat on the table for a very long time. We skipped dessert.

It wasn't just us. Maitre' d got called over to a table near us and they were clearly unhappy about the service. They kept saying "not the waiter's fault" but their table was full of dirty starter dishes for a really long time also. They were really angry and he got an earful.

OVC seems normal breakfast and lunch, not the greatest food but you can always find something to eat. Didn't go for dinner, but at 10pm last night they had the pasta and pizza stations open, sandwiches, fruit, salads, desserts and ice cream. So a decent selection for a late night snack.

That is just dismal that the MDR is still that understaffed. I do not remember service like you describe on any cruise line we have sailed with, even Carnival. I am glad all of our future booked X cruises are in Suites so we can dine in Luminae.

• Like 1

We used our Elite status to go to the special tender to get off quickly.  Its when I said to my husband, see isn't this nice?  This is why I book all these cruises! 😁

Today we decided to rent mountain bikes and go past Seven Mile Beach, past the Dolphins and Turtle encounter spots and snorkel at the Macabuca grill.  We headed up about 8 miles.  Riding bikes in Cayman was a lot of fun.  We try to rent bikes on every trip we take from Naples, Italy to Skagway AK.  We enjoy being outside and DIY things.  We rented from Adventura Cayman.  No issues at all and their website has a great interactive map.  They rent kayaks as well.

Snorkeling was good but it was a little rough.  I was getting frustrated so I headed back to shore after 30 minutes.  Husband freedives so he stays out longer.  

Our plan was to go to Cemetery Beach after Macabuca but we were having difficulty with the giant Snorkeling bag on the bike.  So we headed over to Fosters market, grabbed some sodas and pretzels and had a mini picnic with some chickens!

We decided to drop the bikes off early over at the Hard Rock then walked over to Eden Rock.  This area has our favorite Snorkeling on Caymen other than Spotts.  If you are a good swimmer, I highly recommend.  There's a bar there now and they rent equipment.  No beach as it's really a dive shop.  It's not a place to sit in the sand.  It has great Snorkeling. 

After about an hour and a half of Snorkeling,  we got a couple of hard seltzers and decided to go back to our favorite gelato spot.  We sat outside and ate with more chickens and people watched.  

Disney Magic tendered next to us so there were a lot of kids in the port shops.  This cruise does not appear to have much.

So about 17 miles total on bikes.  Beautiful day.  I finally made it into the Persian Garden after we got back. Very nice and relaxing.  Currently just relaxing on balcony while husband is catching up on work emails and doing a meeting online.  20230220_092620.thumb.jpg.b9de0f78b713709584b8a07252a77c1d.jpg20230220_113200.thumb.jpg.243b3129c259600d71dcfeb50d1496f8.jpg20230220_120728.thumb.jpg.aaf18db54ec9245f4fc29301aeaa6792.jpg20230220_140751.thumb.jpg.44ced63e6cdcec4ccf8383b75059098e.jpg20230220_111016.thumb.jpg.73c1e3c1e629459162bfeee06a21af7a.jpg20230220_140328.thumb.jpg.3e5ef2b3c5bcc1a1db3391875e593378.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lorimay said:

We're on this cruise with you and just be glad you can eat in Blu and not the MDR. It's a mess. The ship is full and there were no MDR select dining reservations available before the cruise. We knew we'd have to wait with our recent experiences on Beyond and Summit, so expected not to be seated immediately. We tried to get select dining reservations on board, but the dining concierge said she couldn't do anything except 5:30 or 8:30.

First night we arrived at 7:00pm because on our other cruises this year, this was a good time. People going to the 7pm cruise had just left. Stood in line for 10 minutes (it was a madhouse with lines on both sides of deck 4 - the upper deck of the dining room) and got a beeper. Waited almost 30 minutes for a table. Service was so slow (and those waiters are working hard) that we missed the 9pm show. Clearly understaffed.  

They are serving champagne as you wait in line so they know it's an issue. I don't think it's just to be nice.

Last night we didn't want to miss the 9pm show, so we arrived at 6:30. This time they had clear signs - left podium for reservations and right podium for those of us without reservations. After we got our beeper (5 minutes in line) and waited 45 minutes for a table. Once seated, waited and waited for service. One starter each and a main course, no drinks, and we finally got a dessert menu at 8:35. Dirty dishes sat on the table for a very long time. We skipped dessert.

It wasn't just us. Maitre' d got called over to a table near us and they were clearly unhappy about the service. They kept saying "not the waiter's fault" but their table was full of dirty starter dishes for a really long time also. They were really angry and he got an earful.

OVC seems normal breakfast and lunch, not the greatest food but you can always find something to eat. Didn't go for dinner, but at 10pm last night they had the pasta and pizza stations open, sandwiches, fruit, salads, desserts and ice cream. So a decent selection for a late night snack.

wow.  That's how it was back in November 2021 on RCCL Adventure of the Seas and my December 2021 Grandeur.  It was awful.  I'm sorry to hear that.

10 hours ago, jean87510 said:

we watched 2 episodes of succession on HBO plus a basketball game.  All streamed.  So yes, it's been good.  Phone calls to kids who are dog sitting have been good.  

Its pretty crowded on all areas around the pool.  Including higher decks 

I will ask about the Pelaton.  I jog or elliptical as well as lift.  There was leg compressors there but I think they do it as a service.  I have them at home to help with sore muscles from hiking.  

Thanks so much!! Appreciate the info. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 4:25 PM, jean87510 said:

Did notice that mysteriously all these first night reservations are suddenly available at the Tuscan Grille where for months nothing was available with the sale price.  Just an observation.  We will try Blu or the OVC.  Or both!  Going forward, I would call to book the 1st night reservation instead for the specialty.  We were given 2 metal bottles of water that our room steward K said he would replace at least once daily.  Getting ready to head to gym to either jog or elliptical for an hour and also check out the Persian garden thermal area.  Plus checking out some of the classes as well.  I like Yoga but not a fan unless we are in calm waters which never seems to happen when doing the balance poses.

I think if you get a specialty package ... not the first night deal... that you can't make reservations in advance until you are on the ship. So they may hold some for those who plan on using the multinight package

17 minutes ago, 39august said:

Is there any good snorkeling near shore at Eden Rock? We were there several years ago and thought we saw some good stuff just  near the entry steps there.  

Not really.  The good stuff is out at the buoys.  Devils Grotto is out there.

5 minutes ago, kearney said:

I think if you get a specialty package ... not the first night deal... that you can't make reservations in advance until you are on the ship. So they may hold some for those who plan on using the multinight package

Probably.  But then they shouldn't offer that deal for the 1st night.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:32 PM, jean87510 said:

Husband and I went down to the 5th floor to hang out on the Promenade outside.  We love these types of areas as they are shaded and quiet.  We both commented how much we missed Celebrity.  Just a better overall experience than Royal or Carnival.  Better food, drinks, people, workers...etc...  It really is apparent especially when you normally do one line.  So far we have been really happy with our experience.

This is why I love the S class ship.. there are lots of places to choose.. quite tucked away areas and the noisier more party type spots... Also I like the different bar options each with a different feel

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Probably.  But then they shouldn't offer that deal for the 1st night.

Other thought is that the reason for the deal is not enough interest in first night... although we prefer it... I like a sunset reservation... table by the window as you sail past the Florida coast.

• Like 1

Tonight since we are tired, we decided to go to the OVC.  So good news for us diehard OVC dinner folks.  Grill is open.  Chicken, a fish, and minute steak.  Hamburgers, hotdogs with toppings.  Mediterranean night so a big selection of food.  Lots of salads.  Pizza.  Pasta station. Breads.  Cheeses.  Antipasto.  Ice cream.  A lot of desserts.  It looked 100x better than the first night.  It was crowded in there at 630pm.  Bar was open in 2 areas.  So this is good news for us who hate dressing up.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Duanerice1 said:

We also love to rent bikes but am wary about some of the roads.  Easy ridding on GC?  Not terrain but traffic wise.

Thanks

There are bike designated lanes.  Saw a few riders on the main area.  It was easier than say Cozumel.  You just have to pay attention.  Worst area was near the tender port areas where idiot fellow cruisers just step off the curb and don't look.  Once out of George Town, it was better.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, swsf99a said:

We will be boarding the Equinox when you depart on February 27th.  Our  10 day cruise goes eastern.  Tell them to keep the bars well stocked!! Is the Martini Bar busy? Following your review,  so…..

Have a great time on your sailing!

jean87510, thanks for the cruise review!

We along with swsf99a and many others will be boarding the Equinox when you depart on February 27th.

Have a great rest of the cruise!

swsf99a, if you have not already joined our roll call, come over we have several events planned.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Tonight since we are tired, we decided to go to the OVC.  So good news for us diehard OVC dinner folks.  Grill is open.  Chicken, a fish, and minute steak.  Hamburgers, hotdogs with toppings.  Mediterranean night so a big selection of food.  Lots of salads.  Pizza.  Pasta station. Breads.  Cheeses.  Antipasto.  Ice cream.  A lot of desserts.  It looked 100x better than the first night.  It was crowded in there at 630pm.  Bar was open in 2 areas.  So this is good news for us who hate dressing up.  

Yay! Wish we could have pictures from this since there is so much negativity about the OVC dinner, but I understand that each event can't be a photo essay. ☺️ Thank you for sharing your journey! I'm really enjoying it. 

56 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Yay! Wish we could have pictures from this since there is so much negativity about the OVC dinner, but I understand that each event can't be a photo essay. ☺️ Thank you for sharing your journey! I'm really enjoying it. 

I will try Wednesday and Friday as I prefer to eat there due to Lent.  I don't eat nuts or any type of fish, shellfish...etc.  Meats are out for those 2 days so I have to do pizza or salad.  Im in AquaClass and probably could discuss an alternative; however, it's less work to just do my own thing.  Regardless, I'll take some pictures.  

Day 4, not too early AM.  Well we still have not made it to one show yet.  Have been so tired we just eat, come back to cabin and watch Succession on HBO that we are bingeing prior to Season 4 start.  We decided today we were going to get our Alcove and actually look at things to do on the ship.  I've already tried Archery and liked it.  We plan to watch the hot glass today as well plus some bocce ball, golf, pickle ball...  My husband unfortunately does have stuff going on at work which he has to take care of.  Im used to it and have decided long ago he is a workaholic and this is one of the things that helps him relax.  

Our clocks are 1 hour ahead today for the ABCs.  Im really looking forward to Aruba tomorrow.  We have a rental car and have a somewhat game plan.

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

I will try Wednesday and Friday as I prefer to eat there due to Lent.  I don't eat nuts or any type of fish, shellfish...etc.  Meats are out for those 2 days so I have to do pizza or salad.  Im in AquaClass and probably could discuss an alternative; however, it's less work to just do my own thing.  Regardless, I'll take some pictures.  

Blu should be able to provide you a meatless dinner.

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Blu should be able to provide you a meatless dinner.

Probably.  But since we will have a long day in Aruba plus Bonaire, I probably will avoid dressing up those days at night as I'm usually pretty wiped on port days.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

Have you tried to re-confirm the jeans thing with Blu?  I would be pretty upset if I got on a ship and they were enforcing a different dress code.  If someone is going rogue, then that needs to be resolved, especially if it's a factor in you going elsewhere. 

Sorry to harp on dress code.  Sounds like you are having a great cruise.

So about 1245pm on Day 4.  Up in the alcoves.  Very glad I did this as it is a zoo in the pool area.  However around 12, the Captains club event was here so we had some entertainment plus more drinks.  10 Zenith on this cruise.  Highest points were 9000? Or 900?  IDK as I've had 2 Mojitos and 3 Champagnes. 😁.  Watched Bocce Ball and Hot glass.  It's really nice and shaded. Just ordered my lunch of a Celebrity burger and fries.  I have watched our butler chase out at least 5 groups of non Alcove people.  One said we are in the Retreat, isnt this included?  

• Haha 1