Royal Suite/Penthouse - Help with Shoreside Requests

SeeFoodEatIt

Hi, we're in a Royal Suite on our upcoming cruise (Solstice). It's only the second time in an RS... we probably didn't take advantage of it as much as we could have last time...mostly because of lack of imagination.  Can any share ideas for things we should request ahead of time?  Also, is the list of liquor and beers the "actual" list or are there even better options we may not know about. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

We are boring. We asked for extra hangers, firm (foam) pillows, extra towels, specific wines in lieu of hard liquors, fridge stocked with Pelligrino, water, and one coke, sliced limes and ice, and specific speciality reservations. We also did a reception for a tour group one time.

The Butlers loved to go to Cafe Al Bacio to get coffee and I hate it with a passion. Some adore it. I like to go the moment I am awake and about 20 minutes later for a second cup.

Not a fan of dinner in the cabin but we had dinner serviced in once when I was quarantined with norovirus. Our butler who had not been very impressive was a DYNAMO when I got sick.

They will do almost anything to make it great.

• Like 2

To be honest don't waste your time.   80% of my requests never arrive.   Just as easy to tell Butler, Stateroom Attendant and Retreat host what you need.

Usually I request

2 Isotonic Pillows

Swap Champagne to Chardonay

Select 2 bottels of Gray Goose and Bud for Bar Setup Tonic and Club Soda

Extension Cord

Dinner reservations at Murano

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SeeFoodEatIt said:

Hi, we're in a Royal Suite on our upcoming cruise (Solstice). It's only the second time in an RS... we probably didn't take advantage of it as much as we could have last time...mostly because of lack of imagination.  Can any share ideas for things we should request ahead of time?  Also, is the list of liquor and beers the "actual" list or are there even better options we may not know about. 

Thank you!

Unlike Jim, In recent years our requests have gone through. However, we always take a copy of the email of our requests with us to give to the butler on boarding just in case and always ask him to confirm our speciality dining requests.

Re spirits, basically you can request anything on the premium package list. We invariably ask for cognac, not on the list the shoreside concierge sends you, and never had a problem. If there is a particular brand you want simply ask. If on boarding they don’t stock it ask what they can provide. Friends of ours requested some quality wines instead, it wasn’t a problem.

Other items on our list…

Beers, soda and water.

Sliced lemon and lime.

A real fruit bowl.

Pillow preference 

Tea tray and kettle (yes, we are English)

A detailed list of specialty dining bookings

Date and time of any get togethers pre arranged when cruising with friends.

To make the most of your butler keep talking once on board. Think of things you would like daily. We do not request coffee each morning as we don’t know what time we will be getting up but on port days we may pre arrange with the butler  in suite breakfast. We do ask for a daily in suite afternoon tea selection of mini sandwiches and cakes instead of the usual daily snack delivery. This usually takes us a day or two to get right as invariably we are provided with far too much.

If we do decide to dine in suite for dinner or to host a party we always give the butler 24 hours notice. We also try to avoid times when we know they have duties elsewhere (afternoon tea time in the retreat lounge, chic night theatre times…).

Remember the Retreat concierge can add to the RS experience too. If you want a bridge tour, galley tour etc let them know.

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We always found that our butlers appreciated the requests made in advance [much easier than changing a set up later] and kept a copy with them.

Frankly, requests are [or should be] personal to the individuals. For example, we like the bed in the PH [which do not split on S-class ships] to be made up with individual [single] bedding. It stops us fighting over the quilt and works for us but is not what most people would want. Other requests we have made would also not suit others.

My advice, therefore, has always been to think of what would make your cruise great rather than what butlers have done for others. If it is within their power to do it, they will but some things are not possible. If an item is not on board and they cannot source it, they cannot provide it. On one TA the plastic carrier bags [US = shopping bag?] had not been delivered to the ship before we set off across the Atlantic. No amount of goodwill could produce a bag on that cruise.

• Like 1

Also on Solstice in a RS. Just hit T-10 days till embarkation!  Our shoreside concierge contacted us a month out to get our requests. That was the earliest we’ve ever been contacted. I made a schedule of our dining time/preference for each evening and asked for the following to be set up in the room:

Nespresso Machine

Fan

limes

Various things for the fridge

Afternoon cheese plate 

The shoreside concierge responded and said we should bring a copy of our requests when we board as confirmation for our dinner reservations. I guess this also helps the butler to keep track of our requests. We bring our own pillows and have always had plenty of hangers. Like others have said, the entire team is eager to assist. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest don't waste your time.   80% of my requests never arrive.   Just as easy to tell Butler, Stateroom Attendant and Retreat host what you need.

Usually I request

2 Isotonic Pillows

Swap Champagne to Chardonay

Select 2 bottels of Gray Goose and Bud for Bar Setup Tonic and Club Soda

Extension Cord

Dinner reservations at Murano

Jim that was the same for us recently (in a CS).  The shoreside Retreat concierge called us and took down our very simple requests - but they were not there when we arrived.  The butler and room steward took care of us right away.  I even filled out the form in advance for an extension cord and distilled water (for my CPAP).  Not there.  Also we could not get dinner reservations at Murano prior to boarding.  But there was plenty of availability at the times we wanted - when we boarded we went there directly.

6 hours ago, chemmo said:

Unlike Jim, In recent years our requests have gone through. However, we always take a copy of the email of our requests with us to give to the butler on boarding just in case and always ask him to confirm our speciality dining requests.

Re spirits, basically you can request anything on the premium package list. We invariably ask for cognac, not on the list the shoreside concierge sends you, and never had a problem. If there is a particular brand you want simply ask. If on boarding they don’t stock it ask what they can provide. Friends of ours requested some quality wines instead, it wasn’t a problem.

Other items on our list…

Beers, soda and water.

Sliced lemon and lime.

A real fruit bowl.

Pillow preference 

Tea tray and kettle (yes, we are English)

A detailed list of specialty dining bookings

Date and time of any get togethers pre arranged when cruising with friends.

To make the most of your butler keep talking once on board. Think of things you would like daily. We do not request coffee each morning as we don’t know what time we will be getting up but on port days we may pre arrange with the butler  in suite breakfast. We do ask for a daily in suite afternoon tea selection of mini sandwiches and cakes instead of the usual daily snack delivery. This usually takes us a day or two to get right as invariably we are provided with far too much.

If we do decide to dine in suite for dinner or to host a party we always give the butler 24 hours notice. We also try to avoid times when we know they have duties elsewhere (afternoon tea time in the retreat lounge, chic night theatre times…).

Remember the Retreat concierge can add to the RS experience too. If you want a bridge tour, galley tour etc let them know.

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise!

We followed Chemmo’s suggestions almost to the letter and found that the requests we emailed (and subsequently s/w) to the shoreside concierge were mostly completed when we boarded. I actually took 2 hard copies of the request letter with me. One to hand to the butler (who very much appreciated it) and 1 to keep on the dining room table for reference. As Chemmo has said, it does make a difference for everyone involved. 

Happy sailing and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4

We made all our specialty dining desires known, requested a bottle of merlot and a bottle of pinot noir in place of the 2 bottles of liquor, and asked that the fridge be filled with O'Doul's and Perrier. I was a little skeptical but all reservations were in place and other requests fulfilled. Once on board, we requested a plate of cookies every afternoon.

Our door to the verandah didn't want to open and the butler got engineering right on it. Fixed by sail-away. Pretty good show actually.

The butler walked us to specialty dining each evening and made sure we were seated in a prime spot. Couldn't have asked for better.

EV6.jpg

Image2.jpg

DoorRepair1.jpg

Edited by danceswithphones
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, danceswithphones said:

We made all our specialty dining desires known, requested a bottle of merlot and a bottle of pinot noir in place of the 2 bottles of liquor, and asked that the fridge be filled with O'Doul's and Perrier. I was a little skeptical but all reservations were in place and other requests fulfilled. Once on board, we requested a plate of cookies every afternoon.

Our door to the verandah didn't want to open and the butler got engineering right on it. Fixed by sail-away. Pretty good show actually.

The butler walked us to specialty dining each evening and made sure we were seated in a prime spot. Couldn't have asked for better.

EV6.jpg

Image2.jpg

DoorRepair1.jpg

Glad they fixed it or it would have been a new form of air conditioning!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Jim that was the same for us recently (in a CS).  The shoreside Retreat concierge called us and took down our very simple requests - but they were not there when we arrived.  The butler and room steward took care of us right away.  I even filled out the form in advance for an extension cord and distilled water (for my CPAP).  Not there.  Also we could not get dinner reservations at Murano prior to boarding.  But there was plenty of availability at the times we wanted - when we boarded we went there directly.

On the other side we were on a B2B in December and never heard from Shoreside.  To our surprise all our requests were there as the Retreat Manager said they were in my "RECORD" ... hmmm wonder what else in my record. 

• Haha 7

I don't know that there's a whole lot worth asking for that isn't in the list of questions you get from the SS Concierge unless it's something critical or that might take extra preparation.  We pretty much run down the list in the email and leave everything else to when we arrive. 

One big exception is asking for coffee maker in the room (it's always a Lavazza machine).  They only have so many of those, so you may be out of luck if you wait until you show up to ask for it.  If you did ask for it but don't see it when you get there, ask again.  On Equinox, we had one in the room when we arrived, but it was in one of the cabinets under the counter.

One request that is critical for us is to have a feather-free room, and we always ask for that in advance.  That didn't happen upon one arrival (we always check as soon as we get in the room).  We brought it up to either our butler or attendant (can't recall), and it was remedied before we were done with lunch.

Liquor may or may not be filled with what we asked for depending on what's available.  If you don't like what you received, ask about it when you first talk to your butler.  If you see something available in a bar and you have a bottle in your room that you haven't opened, ask your butler about swapping out.  If they can, they will.  Once you open a bottle, though, there's no swapping it out.  By the way, you can take those home if you are so inclined.

I like a detox smoothie in the morning (gotta make room for more delicious toxins), and we like afternoon canapes (shrimp cocktail and a cheese plate).  However, that sort of thing is easier to ask your butler for after you arrive.  

I do guess experiences are mixed.  We've always gotten the dining reservations we've asked for, and we USUALLY get the other requests.  I figure it's worth the time to make them beforehand.  If it happens, fantastic.  If not, it's little lost to time spent.

That said, our fridge has never been quite what we've asked for in advance.  They always put in what we ask for, but they never remove what we said we didn't want.  Again, that's a simple matter for the butler.

If you do make dining or spa reservations in advance, ask your butler to confirm them for you and give them a list of what you requested.

• Like 1

I will also request pajamas to be monogrammed, like the idea of cognac but wife isn’t a fan we normally get Bombay sapphire gin and a single malt scotch, although we don’t drink much in suite, going on a music cruise three weeks from tomorrow on summit, did same cruise last year and will do same next year all in royal suite.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, George C said:

I will also request pajamas to be monogrammed

I thought the L/XL size looked large but they were perfect. Most of the time, a major difference between L and XL is the sleeve length. I have L length arms and these were perfect. An XL is almost always too long in the sleeve for me. I've been wearing the top around the house as a shirt. It is my understanding these are available in three different sizes. 

n.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I never knew you could ask for a coffee maker on Celebrity.

5 minutes ago, danceswithphones said:

This is what was in our suite (EV). 

EV5.jpg

Yep.  That's what you get.  We had some oddball mugs on Equinox, though. I would have loved the more standard mug, and I might have drawn blood for the demitasse.  I never thought about asking, though, unless I was drinking coffee.  I need to get better about leaving notes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Does anyone happen to know what the phone number is that the shoreside concierge originates from? I don't typically answer calls from numbers that are not in my contacts and would rather not miss this one.

I saved it into my contacts as 316-554-5070.  It seems they are doing more and more via email, though.  The last time I actually got a call from that number was September 2021, and we've been in higher suites at least a few times since then.

If you miss the call, the worst thing that happens is that you call back via whatever number comes up or via 1-877-RETREAT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I saved it into my contacts as 316-554-5070. 

I just checked my phone and I also have 800-556-8209. Pretty sure that was a missed call. My phone doesn't ring unless I have someone in my contacts and have changed their ringtone to something other than the silent default. I had excellent response via email. We went back and forth trying to have a rollator (from SNG) delivered to the Retreat check-in area. We ended up taking our own. They were most helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I never knew you could ask for a coffee maker on Celebrity.

I think they may be standard on some suite categories on Edge Class. We requested and received one in our Royal Suite on the Eclipse. Friends in a CS asked for one and were told they were only provided to upper suites. I think they have limited numbers of machines?