New "bring-on-board" wine limit !!

nadge

I see from the UK site there is a new 1 bottle wine/champagne limit for personal stateroom use.

It says You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne on board to enjoy within your stateroom. You are welcome to buy alcohol ashore as a gift or souvenir, which will be held for the duration of your cruise, and returned to you when you disembark.

Here's the link: https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack#seadays

Look under "What not to pack for a cruise".

I will be a first-time Cunard cruiser in a couple of months and I have understood from many past posts that there was virtually no limit to the mount of wine/champagne and/or spirits that one could bring on board for personal use.

Any ideas anyone?

There is no limit just as long as it's a sensible amount for personal use ,we have covered this topic so many times on this forum. 

The reasoning behind the statement,  Cunard Line still reserved the right to remove alcohol from any guest prior to boarding, if for example they believe that the guest/s are intoxicated during the check-in and security procedures . 

They can also remove 'excessive  amounts' of alcohol brought onboard by groups of Stag/Hen party revellers, occasionally this happens on 2/3 day mini cruises. 

How do I know all this ?

A former colleague who is now in retirement working at the cruise terminals has some wonderful stories to share.   

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Bell Boy said:

There is no limit just as long as it's a sensible amount for personal use ,we have covered this topic so many time on this forum. 

The reasoning behind the statement,  Cunard Line still reserved the right to remove alcohol from any guest prior to boarding, if for example they believe that the guest/s are intoxicated during the check-in and security procedures . 

They can also remove 'excessive  amounts' of alcohol brought onboard by groups of Stag/Hen party revellers, occasionally this happens on 2/3 day mini cruises. 

How do I know all this ?

A former colleague who is now in retirement working at the cruise terminals has some wonderful stories to share.   

Make complete sense to me!

Cheers

• Like 1

Oh you gave me heart failure!  Not only can you carry on anything in reason - you can also bring more on in each port. In Naples we could buy Lenoncello right in the cruise port - should have bought more of it! 

As someone with experience working in the boat-based hospitality industry, this limit is a legitimate safety precaution. An extremely intoxicated person, especially if that person is a problem drinker, is a risk to themselves and others, especially when that person is on a boat that's rocking from side to side, etc. The crew has to be able to enforce a drink limit of some kind, and that becomes extremely difficult if a passenger has six bottles of scotch secreted away in their cabin.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Starstruckharper said:

if a passenger has six bottles of scotch secreted away in their cabin.

Thought six bottles of the preferred imbibing liquid was actually the absolute minimum stateroom requirement on Cunard? 😀

And for day two?

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, IB2 said:

That’s always been there.  Take no notice.  Spread your bottles between your luggage, and enjoy them during the crossing.

Or purchase Duty Free before aircraft boarding, or embarking Cunard from a local Supermarket or Off-licence….

I had intended to take some bottles from our cellar last time and would have paid corkage in the restaurant, then we decided to try the drinks package.

Depending on what is in our cellar and ready for drinking, I may do so next next time.

We're not really interested in drinking in the cabin. We brought 3 bottles of PA and a Cunard Red gifted by a friend home with us. We would rather drink in the ambience of a comfortable lounge when on board.

I'll start a new thread for this, but if anyone here knows; Can you present a bottle of spirits to a lounge bar person at start of trip and pay corkage to have measures served each night?

To be honest I would even donate the bottle(s) for our exclusive use and pay for the drinks (again!).

Our biggest disappointment last time was that they had run out of Grand Marnier.

You have to have a decent supply of booze on board as, until recently, on Cunard's rules and regulations it dictated that "passengers should drink in moderation at all times".

Now I'm not really one for drinking before midday, but didn't want to fall foul of the rules.

My goodness! it doesn't take long to get through the stuff.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Or purchase Duty Free before aircraft boarding, or embarking Cunard from a local Supermarket or Off-licence….

Or save clanking and just consume the copious booze they have on board - unless you want GM.

45 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Or save clanking and just consume the copious booze they have on board - unless you want GM.

Agreed if the bars stock one preferences, sadly, for one they do not.

But, the Sommelier and Commodore do substantive business.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Sommelier

On 2/28/2023 at 8:25 AM, nadge said:

I see from the UK site there is a new 1 bottle wine/champagne limit for personal stateroom use.

It says You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne on board to enjoy within your stateroom. You are welcome to buy alcohol ashore as a gift or souvenir, which will be held for the duration of your cruise, and returned to you when you disembark.

Here's the link: https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack#seadays

Look under "What not to pack for a cruise".

I will be a first-time Cunard cruiser in a couple of months and I have understood from many past posts that there was virtually no limit to the mount of wine/champagne and/or spirits that one could bring on board for personal use.

Any ideas anyone?

The official limit is one bottle per person.  As others have said the official limit has been in place for MANY years.

15 hours ago, D&N said:

I had intended to take some bottles from our cellar last time and would have paid corkage in the restaurant, then we decided to try the drinks package.

Depending on what is in our cellar and ready for drinking, I may do so next next time.

We're not really interested in drinking in the cabin. We brought 3 bottles of PA and a Cunard Red gifted by a friend home with us. We would rather drink in the ambience of a comfortable lounge when on board.

I'll start a new thread for this, but if anyone here knows; Can you present a bottle of spirits to a lounge bar person at start of trip and pay corkage to have measures served each night?

To be honest I would even donate the bottle(s) for our exclusive use and pay for the drinks (again!).

Our biggest disappointment last time was that they had run out of Grand Marnier.

Asked this identical question many years ago (La Filbuste).  Declined, sighting the problem of a guest’s wholly owned property being stored, handled and managed for profit by Cunard, because of the legal ramifications pertaining to the measure, pour and sale actions, plus the legal liability in the event of a potential loss or damage claim against Cunard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Legal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Don't make light of the dearth of GM. On my QE cruise last June, it was a scarce commodity in the bars. I think the Grills had grabbed the whole supply for making crepes suzette. It does seem a shame to burn off the alcohol, though.

So we are flying into London then coming to Southhampton to go out on QV. So my question is there a place next to the cruise dock, or maybe the train station that we could buy some sodas and a couple bottles of wine so we don't have to worry about carrying it with us. Thanks

4 hours ago, chismrules said:

So we are flying into London then coming to Southhampton to go out on QV. So my question is there a place next to the cruise dock, or maybe the train station that we could buy some sodas and a couple bottles of wine so we don't have to worry about carrying it with us. Thanks

There is a Tesco Express very close to (outside) the Station…. 
https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/southampton/unit-2-3

8D888A5C-0EAC-4115-860F-D6D7EA7B5201.png

• Like 1