On Meraviglia now spring break cruise

mscdivina2016

We did a 3 night and a 7 night booked as one trip on the Meraviglia in October.  We stayed in the YC.  There was a noticeable difference in the service on the 3 night versus the 7 night.  The YC Director at the time said it was staffing issues and that he feels that MSC should get out of the 3-4 night cruise business.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Steve,

Thanks for doing this very honest trip report.

It appears that MSC has a different attitude toward 4 nt. Cruises out of Florida ports.
Sorry to hear YC has also been affected by this.
We always hoped YC would somehow be insulated from 4 day cruise syndrome.

Apparent shortages of almost everything, interlopers entering YC and service decline are common complaints.

Devaluation seems to be prevalent everywhere. The cruise industry is doing the same. 
It is hard when they list perks , features and itineraries that are subject to business decisions to no longer include, after the fact.

” we don’t do that anymore, or we don’t have that anymore.”

Hope you all have a good cruise and can enjoy the dance floors. 💃🕺

Pat

Also being on this four day cruise, I think the “double turnover” in one week is just too much.  That and all the first time cruisers this attracts.  I think it’s daunting to the staff and creates “misses” all around.  Nothing egregious, but it detracts from the luxury experience that is promised… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Also being on this four day cruise, I think the “double turnover” in one week is just too much.  That and all the first time cruisers this attracts.  I think it’s daunting to the staff and creates “misses” all around.  Nothing egregious, but it detracts from the luxury experience that is promised… 

That is exactly what I noticed 

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Ok.  When I do the Caribbean one large checked suitcase is for all our snorkelling gear which includes free diving fins plus a large snorkelling bag.  The other checked bag is the stuff we can't carry on.  Over the years I started going with hiking boots which I wear on plane, hiking sandals, running sneakers and one pair of heels that are not designer by any means.  My dress style is one nice black sundress.  So yes I don't use a shoe horn.  But understand why you do now.  It's all good.  I was just confused.  I am very casual on vacation but don't wear short shorts or let my midriff hang out in the restaurants.

We drove a whole 27 miles to the port so we bring better stuff and more of it because there is no air involved.

• Like 1

Just got off of Mera from a 4 and 3 back to back. Never again. This was our 8th YC sailing. The service from butlers (room change) was non-existent. The Cabana on OC was no longer worth the money (compared to 2019, 2020, 2021). Service was horrible there as well. Might as well get a Cabana for half the money elsewhere on the island for just the cabana itself, or go with umbrellas again on YC Beach. 

The differences on a 7+ night and these 3/4 are like night and day. I agree, they need to dump the 3/4 day cruises. This was the last one we do. We fly from New England and add a Disney night to it but no more. 

The Restaurant experience was ok. Like a lot of the food some dishes like pastas and Italian classics are just great, then there are complete Epic fails. Service was what I’d consider a 5/10 for Yacht Club based on the bookends of a 10 and a 0 we’ve experienced in the past. The menu offerings were very weak. 

There is a serious staff shortage in the Top Sail and up on Deck 19 during Breakfast and Lunch. One server on 19 for a packed house for breakfast every day. She ran around and was completely overwhelmed. Same in Top Sail, one server/Butler when there used to be a few. Most people get their own drinks at the bar now. Bar stock was not horrible but certainty lacked some staples. 

The stories we heard from other guests not in YC were absolutely dreadful. 30 minute lines at bars and then there’s next to no liquor available, no Ketchup and other food staples available. The Jean Philippe was completely out of truffles and items to buy. The Pub had only one or two draft beers and very few non domestic bottles. Heineken was only available by last night. 

Concierge staff on there two weeks ago just absolutely incredible. Here is my take on Craig… I attempted to request discreetly from him a time to share my feedback as a repeat guest and Travel Partner (Travel Agent). He repeatedly told me he didn’t have time and by the end of the voyage, he never took the time to discuss with me some critical issues that will now result in me no longer recommending MSC to any clients or friends.  

I will now only sail on 7+ night sailings in YC, probably 9+ on Divina if Caribbean and 9+ nights in Europe in YC. I think that is the only way to experience a quality product we are used to from 2019-2020 and summer of ‘21 (granted there were only 400 of us on Divina total). 

This isn’t just MSC either. Celebrity and Princess are having struggles with the quality of their product as well.  I think if you are a YC guest, and you truly appreciate that level of service we’ve come to know, you (and I) should

look to Luxury small ship lines like Oceania, Seabourne, SilverSea, Regent, and some others. 

Listen gang, the product isn’t what it used to be. I think many of us veteran YC guests should look to what I mentioned here for that level of quality- 9+ nights in YC (Divina class) over here or just 9+ nights in YC in Europe (and other areas of the world).  The other option is to just wait a year or two for what I think is a very unique and rough place for cruising. Then again MSC never fails to be their own worst enemy and tip over themselves and I think we see a lot of that now. The thing about MSC that’s frustrating is they have the cash to make the product as great as it can be. The don’t flinch at spending hundreds of millions on ships and the largest terminal in Port of Miami history- but then trying to get that financial support to the human capital and quality of service on the front lines just breaks down completely. They have the ability to be the best, they struggle to execute. 

Edited by BoundForSea
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

We drove a whole 27 miles to the port so we bring better stuff and more of it because there is no air involved.

Yes it's a big difference when driving to port.  I would probably have my whole car stuffed with 20 suitcases for a Bayonne, Baltimore or NYC round trip cruise.  

4 hours ago, GPPhilly said:

We did a 3 night and a 7 night booked as one trip on the Meraviglia in October.  We stayed in the YC.  There was a noticeable difference in the service on the 3 night versus the 7 night.  The YC Director at the time said it was staffing issues and that he feels that MSC should get out of the 3-4 night cruise business.    

Damn.  We have a 7 then 3 day booked on Divinia for December/January.  Both in YC.  Fortunately the 3 day has no sea days.

40 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

Just got off of Mera from a 4 and 3 back to back. Never again. This was our 8th YC sailing. The service from butlers (room change) was non-existent. The Cabana on OC was no longer worth the money (compared to 2019, 2020, 2021). Service was horrible there as well. Might as well get a Cabana for half the money elsewhere on the island for just the cabana itself, or go with umbrellas again on YC Beach. 

The differences on a 7+ night and these 3/4 are like night and day. I agree, they need to dump the 3/4 day cruises. This was the last one we do. We fly from New England and add a Disney night to it but no more. 

The Restaurant experience was ok. Like a lot of the food some dishes like pastas and Italian classics are just great, then there are complete Epic fails. Service was what I’d consider a 5/10 for Yacht Club based on the bookends of a 10 and a 0 we’ve experienced in the past. The menu offerings were very weak. 

There is a serious staff shortage in the Top Sail and up on Deck 19 during Breakfast and Lunch. One server on 19 for a packed house for breakfast every day. She ran around and was completely overwhelmed. Same in Top Sail, one server/Butler when there used to be a few. Most people get their own drinks at the bar now. Bar stock was not horrible but certainty lacked some staples. 

The stories we heard from other guests not in YC were absolutely dreadful. 30 minute lines at bars and then there’s next to no liquor available, no Ketchup and other food staples available. The Jean Philippe was completely out of truffles and items to buy. The Pub had only one or two draft beers and very few non domestic bottles. Heineken was only available by last night. 

Concierge staff on there two weeks ago just absolutely incredible. Here is my take on Craig… I attempted to request discreetly from him a time to share my feedback as a repeat guest and Travel Partner (Travel Agent). He repeatedly told me he didn’t have time and by the end of the voyage, he never took the time to discuss with me some critical issues that will now result in me no longer recommending MSC to any clients or friends.  

I will now only sail on 7+ night sailings in YC, probably 9+ on Divina if Caribbean and 9+ nights in Europe in YC. I think that is the only way to experience a quality product we are used to from 2019-2020 and summer of ‘21 (granted there were only 400 of us on Divina total). 

This isn’t just MSC either. Celebrity and Princess are having struggles with the quality of their product as well.  I think if you are a YC guest, and you truly appreciate that level of service we’ve come to know, you (and I) should

look to Luxury small ship lines like Oceania, Seabourne, SilverSea, Regent, and some others. 

Listen gang, the product isn’t what it used to be. I think many of us veteran YC guests should look to what I mentioned here for that level of quality- 9+ nights in YC (Divina class) over here or just 9+ nights in YC in Europe (and other areas of the world).  The other option is to just wait a year or two for what I think is a very unique and rough place for cruising. Then again MSC never fails to be their own worst enemy and tip over themselves and I think we see a lot of that now. The thing about MSC that’s frustrating is they have the cash to make the product as great as it can be. The don’t flinch at spending hundreds of millions on ships and the largest terminal in Port of Miami history- but then trying to get that financial support to the human capital and quality of service on the front lines just breaks down completely. They have the ability to be the best, they struggle to execute. 

Definitely a disconcerting report. We will be on a 7d NYC-NYC in July. I am hoping that they will improve their HR situation in the next 4 months. The resurgence back to fully booked from the pandemic may have just caught them flat footed. It takes time to recruit and train staff in any organization.

The impact on the YC still seems puzzling. I presume that this is their most profitable segment. You would think that the standards in the YC should fall last. Did you notice worse failings outside the YC?

Did your butler just disappear? Were you able to reach them and ask for things? Do you think that they were supplementing other areas or just too many rooms? I was hoping to ask for unpacking, ironing, and frequent Champagne by the hot tub...but seems unlikely.

I worry about the supply logistics shortage. On a 3-4 day voyage, I would think that you could emergency resupply at each port. Even OC should have some extra supplies on hand.

I'm somewhat reassured that other major lines are having similar issues...otherwise I would worry about a Crystal situation...

8 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

For dinner shoes??  I always use one at home as well.  Ferragamo shoes are not cheap.

We also change into dance shoes later.

As far as not being there, just plain lazy.

I also am not buying the "spring break" thing in Yacht club.

YC is always full so we do not have an issue because there is a finite numbers of berths.

We are not crowded at all. No difference than my January sailing. 

Afternoon snacks are arriving. Prosecco did show up, even another bottle in cabin.

And really - how many Caribbean cruisers actually bring a pair of leather dress shoes as opposed to dress flip flops. I can guarantee you - unless there are a lot of Europeans onboard, the majority of your fellow passengers do not know what a Ferragamo is and truly do not care. Ferragamo? Perhaps you should be considering another cruise line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Too bad about these shorter sailings, but thanks for the heads up.  7 nights plus for me is the norm..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

Then again MSC never fails to be their own worst enemy and tip over themselves and I think we see a lot of that now. The thing about MSC that’s frustrating is they have the cash to make the product as great as it can be. The don’t flinch at spending hundreds of millions on ships and the largest terminal in Port of Miami history- but then trying to get that financial support to the human capital and quality of service on the front lines just breaks down completely. They have the ability to be the best, they struggle to execute. 

This sums up MSC 1000%, they have been this way since day 1

13 hours ago, RD64 said:

And really - how many Caribbean cruisers actually bring a pair of leather dress shoes as opposed to dress flip flops. I can guarantee you - unless there are a lot of Europeans onboard, the majority of your fellow passengers do not know what a Ferragamo is and truly do not care. Ferragamo? Perhaps you should be considering another cruise line.

Most in YC restaurant had shoes of some sort on .

I do know men's shoes are not as well known as women's shoes. Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin and such but if you ever have the chance to own a pair they are wonderful. 

You made me laugh.  I never thought of choosing a future cruise based on footwear.lol.

15 hours ago, BoundForSea said:

You are spot on.

This is the worst I have had in relation to your statements above.  But I am on this sailing for my grandkids.

I did notice they were not short of staff for wanting to take your picture.

Casino has no staff around.  Had to wait 15 minutes for a handpay.

Had several issues playing.  Would not let me play blackjack unless I gave room key or room number. .

Slots print out ticket based on last person's card inserted so if you have a several hundred dollar slip you don't match at cash out. Stupid really. You get paid but questioned. I am not going to get 45,000 points so using the card only provides data points to casino.

Yacht club is not crowded at all during this sailing. Restaurant is slow, bar service is as usual. There is no difference really from a non spring break sailing.

Dance floor in topsail is sticky but I get it cleaned each evening.

Many college kids it seems out and about,but very well behaved.

All specialty restaurants are booked solid for lunch.

We are on this sailing in Aurea deck 11. Same gross smell in the shower drain. Got tired of waiting in lines for everything by the first day. We were finally able to use the waterslides around 3:00pm after getting on the ship after ocean cay. Lines at buffet on island were awful as well. They say it’s always like this. Guest services said over the past month they have 5,000 people vs 2,000. And new staff who are still training. Well, they shouldn’t book so many if they can’t provide the service IMO. We are used to other cruise lines and the buffet here isn’t great, no omelette station and prepared eggs are dry. No good snacks, same old

stuff Every evening, So we started going to waves dining room for breakfast. That is much better but packed as well, hard to get water at times. Dinner has been good, we keep

requesting Andrea and Ramon, the best! Ocean Cay is wonderful though!

Got home over a half hour ago.

This was the worst MSC cruise to date.

Again, our Butler was no where to be found to walk us off this morning.

I joked in another thread about getting a crappy non monogrammed hand towel, but last night after doing the room, both bath towels were not monogrammed and we're a very low thread count skinny thing.  Something like my gym would hand you.  Terrible towels.  The excuse of spring break,too many people and not enough staff is not my problem.

Stop selling it over standard capacity.

Craig....was all gung ho when he got on in January but now has resorted to official blow you off corporate answers.   We will look into that, we know we have a problem and are working on it.....

Booze..... YC runs out of several things but the other bars have it. Go take it from them. Why do I have to get non premium while you are selling it outside 

I took it up with the concierge. It's simple, you don't have my bourbon because you ran out, you need to give me super premium as a temporary replacement because many other bars have it.i will give you 30 minutes,  20 minutes later it showed up.  It came from the gift shop. Had the label on it that the gift shop ones have.  

Servers in topsail, almost non existent. Slow service.

Dinner, so slow. 95 minutes for dinner not including dessert.  Touch when we have our 4&6 year old grandkids with us.

Ocean cay YC island.  We're joined others in cabana #6.

No fruit sticks, no servers were coming around no nothing. I had to escalate it and was given the "we are out of it". Well the Cabana comes with a bottle so send some to the ship to get either champagne or prosecco. Very simple for the cost of a cabana.

Very rarely we saw them walking the beach area either. We stayed till last transport left.

Topsail snacks seemed to get worse. Bunch of crap in my opinion. So I had the butler get me cookies, cheese, peanuts and other stuff.

Got some grief over the peanuts because some guests have allergies in YC 

I got them otherwise I would have made things worse for them. I brought 4 bags from Texas roadhouse that I would have unshelled and eaten in both topsail and really windy deck 19.

I have certain fish allergies and they did not stop the Caesar salad. I really don't know if it has anchovies?

That's my take on things so far.

Too many people sold,not enough staff and apparently towels.

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Got home over a half hour ago.

This was the worst MSC cruise to date.

Again, our Butler was no where to be found to walk us off this morning.

I joked in another thread about getting a crappy non monogrammed hand towel, but last night after doing the room, both bath towels were not monogrammed and we're a very low thread count skinny thing.  Something like my gym would hand you.  Terrible towels.  The excuse of spring break,too many people and not enough staff is not my problem.

Stop selling it over standard capacity.

Craig....was all gung ho when he got on in January but now has resorted to official blow you off corporate answers.   We will look into that, we know we have a problem and are working on it.....

Booze..... YC runs out of several things but the other bars have it. Go take it from them. Why do I have to get non premium while you are selling it outside 

I took it up with the concierge. It's simple, you don't have my bourbon because you ran out, you need to give me super premium as a temporary replacement because many other bars have it.i will give you 30 minutes,  20 minutes later it showed up.  It came from the gift shop. Had the label on it that the gift shop ones have.  

Servers in topsail, almost non existent. Slow service.

Dinner, so slow. 95 minutes for dinner not including dessert.  Touch when we have our 4&6 year old grandkids with us.

Ocean cay YC island.  We're joined others in cabana #6.

No fruit sticks, no servers were coming around no nothing. I had to escalate it and was given the "we are out of it". Well the Cabana comes with a bottle so send some to the ship to get either champagne or prosecco. Very simple for the cost of a cabana.

Very rarely we saw them walking the beach area either. We stayed till last transport left.

Topsail snacks seemed to get worse. Bunch of crap in my opinion. So I had the butler get me cookies, cheese, peanuts and other stuff.

Got some grief over the peanuts because some guests have allergies in YC 

I got them otherwise I would have made things worse for them. I brought 4 bags from Texas roadhouse that I would have unshelled and eaten in both topsail and really windy deck 19.

I have certain fish allergies and they did not stop the Caesar salad. I really don't know if it has anchovies?

That's my take on things so far.

Too many people sold,not enough staff and apparently towels.

Thanks for you impressions. My I ask why do you cruise with MSC? It seems you do not enjoy yourself…

Ivi

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for you impressions. My I ask why do you cruise with MSC? It seems you do not enjoy yourself…

Ivi

Great product when it's working. I like it better than Haven.

I like the nightly music in topsail. We have the whole little floor to ourselves all the time.

I have one left next month out of Saudi Arabia for 18 nights and I don't plan on booking anymore. We do have a mega family cruise coming but I am not paying I just have to go. What a crap show that will be.

I recently cancelled a May sailing on seashore and am trying Seven seas Endeavor instead.

I always have a good time. I just don't let things go. I have also sailed allot and I know what to expect. 

On 3/15/2023 at 10:00 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

You are spot on.

This is the worst I have had in relation to your statements above.  But I am on this sailing for my grandkids.

I did notice they were not short of staff for wanting to take your picture.

Casino has no staff around.  Had to wait 15 minutes for a handpay.

Had several issues playing.  Would not let me play blackjack unless I gave room key or room number. .

Slots print out ticket based on last person's card inserted so if you have a several hundred dollar slip you don't match at cash out. Stupid really. You get paid but questioned. I am not going to get 45,000 points so using the card only provides data points to casino.

Yacht club is not crowded at all during this sailing. Restaurant is slow, bar service is as usual. There is no difference really from a non spring break sailing.

Dance floor in topsail is sticky but I get it cleaned each evening.

Many college kids it seems out and about,but very well behaved.

All specialty restaurants are booked solid for lunch.

I love your future plans in your signature. Well chosen! Especially that 42ni from Malta on Marina. That will be an amazing time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:

I love your future plans in your signature. Well chosen! Especially that 42ni from Malta on Marina. That will be an amazing time. 

Thank you.

We hope we will like it. We are concerned about nightlife. We are ballroom dancers and we usually close bars and lounges.😁

59 minutes ago, GPPhilly said:

I will say it again, for someone that seems to really not like MSC, you certainly continue to book them.  

Final FCC is used up. I do like them, great product but IT and CS is crap.  I will continue with my posting about the lousy things they have done to me.

I guess if you got downgraded from a YCGS to a regular balcony with no reduction in fare, no booze or Internet package you would be alright with that? 

I have no more booked . I do have a family cruise coming up but I did not book or pay for it. I just go with 50+ obnoxious family members who will turn YC into a circus. I actually feel sorry for others on that sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1