Need Advice Please: Tri-rail with 3 children in tow?

imluvncruzn

Hi.  We cruise frequently and always fly into FLL when we cruise out of Miami.  This time however, we will have 3 kids (6,8,and 14) with us.  I am thinking about taking the tri-rail.  We are staying at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Brickell (100 SE 4th Street, Miami).  My question is our flight is scheduled to land at 2:05pm.  Would we have time to get luggage, take bus to train station, and buy tickets for a 3:03pm train?  Also, where do you put the luggage?  Would we get off at Hialeah Market or MIA?  I looked and the Uber XL prices are double the price if we go to MIA.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  

I would not bank on making that train, unfortunately. 2:05 is the scheduled arrival time, not necessarily the time the plane is at the gate. You’ll need to deplane, collect luggage, get the bus, and get to the station.

Safe travwls!

The bus from FLL to Tri-Rail takes about 15 mins. Luggage space is limited and it takes time to load everybody with their bags - so you need more time. 

I assume you won’t have checked bags? Even so the slightest delay will cause anxiety for sure! You will have at most 30 minutes from landing to bus in my estimation. 

Hopefully you can move fast with your luggage but the train should be easy. There are large luggage racks in some cars but most folks just store under the seats etc. You are not allowed to block the aisle. 

Edited by SteerageJoe

Brightline would be good if it is traveling at your times, but nothing shows for my date. Uber/Lyft may seem expensive, but the hassles is not worth going to Tri Rail. Your route looks like this vs straight to hotel:

Get Luggage > Go to bus for Tri Rail > Load luggage and wait for others > wait for Tri Rail > Go to MIA > Lug luggage to pickup location at MIA > Wait for ride from MIA to hotel in Brickell since there is no shuttle.

You are adding about an hour+ and all of the hassle for the cost of about $15-$20 more. I think you are better off contacting a shuttle service like SAS, pay the $75 vs the ~$60 you would spend to go to MIA. 

• Like 2

For the sake of accuracy and assuming this is done for the adventure and to save money, the Tri-Rail option is this:

shuttle bus from FLL to Tri-Rail

Tri-Rail transfer to MetroRail at the Transfer Station

MetroRail transfer to free MetroMover at Government Center (Brickell Line going south)

Disembark at Riverwalk Station

Walk 2 minutes to the Comfort Inn

This require no Ubers etc. Once you get into Ubers (such as when using Brightline from FLL) you can just as well skip the trains and ride directly to the hotel IMO. 

As stated, this is an adventure trip. You will move a lot with your luggage in tow and it’s not for everyone! But doable if not in a rush.

• Like 1

UberXL (doubt you can fit into UberX with 3 kids and bags) from FLL to your hotel will run about $75+ - van taxi meter fare should be about the same.  Unless your kids are desperate to ride a train, take the UberXL/Lyft option. 

• Like 2

It would be insane to do that with 3 kids to save a few bucks. 

Get an Uber XL and get to the hotel. 

If you really want to do it to have fun, maybe one of your kids enjoys trains? That is the only reason I would even think about it, take the Brightline. It won't save you any money, but will be much more comfortable and easier, and a much cooler train. 

Edited by Flymia
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't bother with the train, especially with children and luggage. Spend extra and use either Uber, Lyft or a cab to get over to your hotel in Brickell. Definitely don't need the stress of using the train!

• Like 2