Anyone enjoying the new menu selections?

1 hour ago, kruzerci said:

Food is virtually inedible in the free venues now. We were going to sail the remainder of our booking with non-refundable deposits but decided today to cut our losses and vacation elsewhere. It’s not worth our vacation time to stay on what has become like a floating Holiday Inn Express. We took most of our vacations for the past 24 years on Royal at a total of 49 sailings. To say I’m disappointed that it is ending is an understatement 😢

With the Icon's prices getting close to DCL, I don't see how the value if the quality of the food is abhorrent.

1 hour ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Try MSC. We are in the same situation and found mdr food on MSC on par with Royals previous menus. They even have the classics. We were happy with Bella.

We have been much happier with Celebrity and Disney on recent cruises, but Celebrity is an older crowd and Disney is well… Disney. Lol. Celebrity has also fallen in quality. 

12 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Royal really needs to get smaller plates.   The photos seem to have lots of empty plate showing.  

I much prefer the smaller portion sizes.  You know you can always ask for a 2nd or 3rd portion if you need more.  That way you can order a couple of things and do not feel bad leaving half of each.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Name one please.

The first place I noticed it was The Mansion in Dallas.  I saw it in a Michelin ** place in Paris, and another place in NYC.  I remember the name of the first place because it is local.  

You might not have noticed if you had a similar appetite to others with you since you would have received around the same amount of food.   Even then you'd have only noticed if you'd had courses.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I much prefer the smaller portion sizes.  You know you can always ask for a 2nd or 3rd portion if you need more.  That way you can order a couple of things and do not feel bad leaving half of each.  

for now but have to wonder before that is a past thing. Had lobster for formal dinner last night clearly said additional lobster $16.99 and I’ll say lobster was good but a small tail still. 4 bites for $16.99 I think not. 

one evening waiter offered baked potato to replace roasted potatoes. Came back with roasted said sorry no baked potato with this dish.  One night only salad offered was ceasar I asked if I could have just garden salad with thousand island. He said all he could was give me ceasar with no dressing and thousand on side. That was fine but one tablespoon of dressing. Can you see where this is all going? No substitutions extra cost extra. I can read the handwriting. Packing day! Last supper tonight not a big sign anymore considering the food. 

IMG_8459.thumb.jpeg.71e22fcdc480d2ad4541824c4a3484b7.jpeg

• Like 4

I've seen current reviews, i.e. Quantum to Alaska on Youtube by a great reviewer and he complained about the food both MDR and Windjammer.  Lots of unhappy cruisers out there.  I have every confidence that RCCL will be forced to capitulate on quality.  And in time we'll be back to better menus.

After ICON we're back to Celebrity on new Assent...may have to be our go to.

Edited by BecciBoo

50 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I've seen current reviews, i.e. Quantum to Alaska on Youtube by a great reviewer and he complained about the food both MDR and Windjammer.  Lots of unhappy cruisers out there.  I have every confidence that RCCL will be forced to capitulate on quality.  And in time we'll be back to better menus.

Can you share the Youtubers name or channel?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, poocher said:

Yes, have to say I’ve never been to any restaurant, high end or not, that adjusts portion size based on their observations of your eating habits.  In fact in my experience, the higher end the venue, the smaller the portions.

Agree. Pay an arm an a leg when I order sea scallops and get a big plate with 4 

reasonable size scallops with saffron rice and a vegetable. 

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

On my February Anthem sail,  many at my table complained about the lack of selections in the new menu.  Don’t know whether the head waiter was appeasing us but he mentioned that Royal was planning on revisiting the menus in June. Any inkling if it’s in the works. 

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

1 hour ago, jeffporfirio said:

Can you share the Youtubers name or channel?

Agreed, we'll be on the Quantum in a month.  Would love to see the video.  Can you share?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

The first place I noticed it was The Mansion in Dallas.  I saw it in a Michelin ** place in Paris, and another place in NYC.  I remember the name of the first place because it is local.  

You might not have noticed if you had a similar appetite to others with you since you would have received around the same amount of food.   Even then you'd have only noticed if you'd had courses.  

Seems very random and arbitrary to me. Unless you frequent the same restaurant on a regular basis I am not sure how they would assess you.

If everyone at the table has an appetizer and 3 out of 4 finish quickly and enthusiastically, they get a bigger entree than the fourth person? Just because I eat all my entree doesn’t mean I want a bigger dessert. I would not be pleased if my entree was noticeably smaller than the rest of the people at my table because I didn’t eat my appetizer - do they offer me a discount? 

I am not following the logic of your statement. 

In any case, rest assured cruise ship dining on mass-market cruise ships is not high class dining, even in the specialty restaurants. Food has always been adequate IMO but I am not a picky eater and know I won’t starve.

More noticeable to me has been the decline in “class” of service but this has been happening pre-Covid. It has been exacerbated by Covid due to lack of experienced staff and shortage of supplies.

Ambiance of location and service can be better in specialty restaurants but isn’t necessarily a given.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Katems75 said:

I hope this is sarcasm!  They seriously need to increase the portion sizes.  I was on Harmony May 13 and portions were TINY.  Meat was THIN.

7 nights in the MDR on Grandeur and never left hungry once.  That portion size that I had posted is more than large enough.  Via any guide you follow the amount of protein on that plate is more than enough for single serving.  If anything the amount of rice is far too much.

I really struggle with those asking for massive portions in 1 serving.  If your first serving isn't enough then order another.  For most that would just end up with huge amounts of wasted food.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Georgeny said:

for now but have to wonder before that is a past thing. Had lobster for formal dinner last night clearly said additional lobster $16.99 and I’ll say lobster was good but a small tail still. 4 bites for $16.99 I think not. 

one evening waiter offered baked potato to replace roasted potatoes. Came back with roasted said sorry no baked potato with this dish.  One night only salad offered was ceasar I asked if I could have just garden salad with thousand island. He said all he could was give me ceasar with no dressing and thousand on side. That was fine but one tablespoon of dressing. Can you see where this is all going? No substitutions extra cost extra. I can read the handwriting. Packing day! Last supper tonight not a big sign anymore considering the food. 

IMG_8459.thumb.jpeg.71e22fcdc480d2ad4541824c4a3484b7.jpeg

Exactly!

4 hours ago, Georgeny said:

Remember, the 18% grats brings this miniscule lobster tail to $20+ and to me it does not taste any different than the previous ones.  Someone mentioned that the lobster served is Canadian and not Maine. 

I'm not very picky either, but our last cruise on Odyssey was exceptional especially the food, but we haven't cruised on the new menus.  We'll have to see if things change or if the new menus area really as bad as others think.  Food is not our priority for cruising in general so I'll still be happy but I'd rather enjoy it than not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

have every confidence that RCCL will be forced to capitulate on quality.  And in time we'll be back to better menus

No confidence here! They are saving huge amounts of money while cruise prices are up. Compliants are met with "the rules come from Miami." That translates to "we no longer have any control... but are just instructed to follow the new rules." Have you been to the Windjammer? It is sad! Until they see no more full ships, the new menus will stay.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

No confidence here! They are saving huge amounts of money while cruise prices are up. Compliants are met with "the rules come from Miami." That translates to "we no longer have any control... but are just instructed to follow the new rules." Have you been to the Windjammer? It is sad! Until they see no more full ships, the new menus will stay.

Same here, complaints also met, Miami makes the rules.  Bs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

Remember, the 18% grats brings this miniscule lobster tail to $20+ and to me it does not taste any different than the previous ones.  Someone mentioned that the lobster served is Canadian and not Maine. 

Canadian lobsters are cold water lobsters just like those caught in Maine.  I had some on Harmony last month.  Although it certainly isn’t fresh cold water lobster, is it better than the warm water ones they used to serve.  Living in New England, it was nothing to write home about but for those who don’t have access to the fresh stuff, it was fine.  And FWIW I had no problem with the food in MDR or WJ on that cruise.  Yes, I did not care for the offerings on Mexican night but my table mates enjoyed their dinners so it’s just a matter of taste.  Hot foods were hot, cold foods cold, portions appropriate, service very good.  IMO much ado about nothing.

• Like 1

We got back last Sunday from our 7 night Anthem cruise. Pleased to report that every night the food in MDR was hot and served on hot plates. No problem in having two starters. The food isn’t a gastronomic masterpiece  but perfectly acceptable ( although the steaks are best avoided). We didn’t particularly like the 4 small MDR dining rooms as they were cramped and dark but managed to get a nice window table for two ( courtesy of the Diamond Lounge Concierge). Table 337 in Silk was great and service was very good by our Waiters.

Edited by HalifaxYorksCruiser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

We got back last Sunday from our 7 night Anthem cruise. Pleased to report that every night the food in MDR was hot and served on hot plates. No problem in having two starters. The food isn’t a gastronomic masterpiece  but perfectly acceptable ( although the steaks are best avoided). We didn’t particularly like the 4 small MDR dining rooms as they were cramped and dark but managed to get a nice window table for two ( courtesy of the Diamond Lounge Concierge). Table 337 in Silk was great and service was very good by our Waiters.

I can eat chicken and meatloaf at home. 

• Like 4