LIVE REPORT from Riviera - NEVER AGAIN!

brobin111

11 hours ago, KimKM said:

I'm sorry that you found my opinion that a cruise line, doing business for years, should have a fairly good idea of the best times to sail to Bermuda, "totally nonsensical". Everything that I have read seems to indicate that March is a very bad time to schedule a Bermuda cruise. I suppose that, silly me, I thought that Oceania would have experience enough to know the worst and best times to include certain ports. I have learned that I can't trust the cruise line, and I will have to double check and do intense research, in the future.

Also, I'm shocked by how many "very knowledgeable experts" on here, can't comprehend that NO ONE is saying that Oceania should have taken us to Bermuda despite dangerous conditions. I specifically said that wasn't the problem, but I'm assuming it's not as enjoyable to mock me if you don't make me sound totally ridiculous. My "beef" is that I don't think they should run that itinerary in March, and that their communications with guests is awful. I'm sure that someone will still critique something else that I've said here, but I still get to have an opinion and share it.

You can repeat your contention that Oceania should have known not to sail to Bermuda at this time of the year a hundred times, but that doesn't make it true. The weather in March, while not beach season, is typically around 70 degrees with plenty of sunshine and mild breezes. Very good weather for sightseeing, golf, fishing and tennis.

You want to blame Oceania when in fact something happened that was completely out of their control, unpredictable and completely abnormal. 

Could anyone predict that California would be inundated by massive storms week after week? That there would be no measurable snow in the area I live ? That we had a strong tornado touch down in our county in February where tornadoes are rare at any time and unheard of in February? 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, GregoryPaul said:

He said he was offered a $200 FCC and that he could use it on an upcoming Asian cruise for which he has (now, had?) booked 3 Vista Suites. I have no dog in this fight but if true,

Why should he get more  compensation than others on the ship?

Everyone on the ship was affected

Others have said they received no compensation

An FCC is worthless if you are NEVER again sailing on Oceania

JMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Why should he get more  compensation than others on the ship?

Everyone on the ship was affected

Others have said they received no compensation

An FCC is worthless if you are NEVER again sailing on Oceania

JMO

The NEVER AGAIN was based on level of compensation. If level of compensation was different, maybe the NEVER AGAIN would change?

Maybe he expected to be treated differently because he was in a suite? In this case he probably confused Oceania with Celebrity.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, KimKM said:

Everything that I have read seems to indicate that March is a very bad time to schedule a Bermuda cruise

Riviera is docked in Bermuda today as is Saga's Spirit of Discovery, both as scheduled.

Norwegian Gem was there on Thursday, as scheduled.

I don't know what you're reading, but it can't be a very authoritative source. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, GregoryPaul said:

OP titled his post “NEVER AGAIN.” That’s his decision based on his circumstances - and I kinda see his point.

Others on here are acting like his post is titled, “OCEANIA UNFAIR” which it most certainly is not.

I think the decision should be based on level of compensation. Something like this:

0-500 - NEVER AGAIN

500-1000 - NOT LIKELY AGAIN

1000-1500 - MAYBE AGAIN

1500-2000 - LIKELY AGAIN

2000-3000 - SURE, LETS GIVE THEM ANOTHER TRY

3000+ - THE BEST LINE EVER!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I just read that December is not a good time to visit Greece - and yet Silversea has cruises to Greece scheduled in December. NEVER AGAIN Silversea!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Riviera is docked in Bermuda today as is Saga's Spirit of Discovery, both as scheduled.

Well that goes to show you Oceania just wanted to P off  people on the last sailing 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I think the decision should be based on level of compensation. Something like this:

0-500 - NEVER AGAIN

500-1000 - NOT LIKELY AGAIN

1000-1500 - MAYBE AGAIN

1500-2000 - LIKELY AGAIN

2000-3000 - SURE, LETS GIVE THEM ANOTHER TRY

3000+ - THE BEST LINE EVER!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I just read that December is not a good time to visit Greece - and yet Silversea has cruises to Greece scheduled in December. NEVER AGAIN Silversea!

When logic fails, try sarcasm?

• Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 10:55 PM, brobin111 said:

Even missing a single port day usually gets an open bar for the day although that's not something we care about.  IOW, most lines have your back and do something as a matter of good customer relations to leave you feeling that they care and want to earn your future business.  I was told by staff that customer goodwill is NOT an Oceania priority at the head office

Not sure what the other lines the OP is talking about. Last year on a 14 night HAL Greek cruise we lost both Santorini and Crete ports with no explanation and they got replaced with a sea day and a second stop in Mykonos and no compensation. Just the risk of traveling these days.

If Oceania had canceled the whole cruise just days before departure think about how many more people would have been just as upset. Not everyone on a cruise goes for the ports they just want to be on a floating resort.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Well that goes to show you Oceania just wanted to P off  people on the last sailing 🙄

They knew I was onboard, it's a conspiracy against me. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, GregoryPaul said:

When logic fails, try sarcasm?

My logic tells me to base my decisions on the overall cruise experience, not the level of compensation for missed ports.

My logic also tells me to have the same expectations regardless of the level of cabin I booked.

And lastly, my logic tells me that missed ports are the risk I take when cruising, and I don't expect any compensation for the missed ports (although it would be obviously nice).

Of course your logic might tell you different things, and I respect it.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:39 AM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@santos949 I was also on this cruise (first time on O) and agree with all your positives. There simply was no entertainment before 9:30 pm to speak of so for us it was as if there was none. The piano player in Martinis was painful to listen to at best.  You’re correct food is subjective. I can’t count the number of times I’ve sat at dinner on a cruise, eating the exact same dish as someone else and one of us loves it while the other hates it. I thought 95% of the food I received was excellent.  I found the choices to be outstanding. 

I booked 2 new cruises onboard and went down to the Ambassador’s office (I think that’s what the future cruise person is called on O) at least 6 different times to work out questions and so forth. I had to wait in line every single time!  In fact it was the ONLY place on board the ship I ever had to wait!  I don’t discount the OP’s post or that they need to find a line better suited to their needs.  I do think there were a lot of happy people on that cruise, more than this thread is indicating.  Just wanted to throw that out there for the lurkers to the O thread deciding whether to take that first O sailing. 

If you assume that the Ambassador office is open at least 5 hours every day, and it takes 30 minutes to to the booking, and there are two of them, that's 20 bookings per day or 180 bookings on a 10 nights cruise. Assuming a full cruise, it means that 30% of the guests made a new booking while on board.. some probably made more than one.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

That's great! I'm happy that it worked out for them. There was a lovely couple that we met, who were continuing on the cruise, and were hopeful that Bermuda would happen for them. I'm sure they enjoyed it.

I read about March being a bad time to visit Bermuda on legitimate weather and cruise sites (including this one). I'm not sure how my posting my experience on this cruise has opened me up to your particular criticism and, frankly, insults. I wasn't asking for O to refund a dime. I didn't want them to sail into unsafe waters. I wanted communication, a feeling of planning for this type of situation, and good food would have been nice. I didn't expect special treatment.

It's funny, I've been cruising since before my husband retired, and never had any occasion to post here, except to ask a small question early on. I love cruising. The first time that I post about a truly disappointing experience, I'm made to feel like a spoiled child. You don't have to approve, it's MY OPINION and experience. Amazingly, different people can have different opinions. It's possible!

I will cruise again, soon (this year), just not with O. I wish you all well in your cruising, and future travels.

• Like 11

If I may, I always tell my traveling friends on O, the O Club Ambassadors office should be one of your first stops on board, usually day 2 of our trip.  We have done some research in advance and have some ideas but ask for further guidance regarding a specific itinerary and time of year, etc.  Never leave your cruise without a future cruise being booked. 👍🙏 The best $250 you will ever spend, IMHO. 

OK, the first stop is the Restaurant reservation desk 😇🙏

Just enjoy your cruise.

Mauibabes

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@KimKM,

We truly enjoy Oceania and hope you will give them a second chance and perhaps consider a trip on the new Vista.  She and her crew will be amazing and will meet your expectations and if not, Adios amigos.

Mauibabes

Thank you. I should never say never. I just know that I will go back to the cruise lines we have enjoyed and had exemplary experiences with, for awhile. Just to reiterate, we have never posted a complaint, or complained in a cruise survey before this. We aren't typically negative people. This cruise just hit a lot of "disappointment buttons".

Thanks, again.

43 minutes ago, KimKM said:

The first time that I post about a truly disappointing experience, I'm made to feel like a spoiled child.

@KimKM The key to CruiseCritic.com is to share real experiences.  We all have expectations and all we want is for them to be met. If they are exceeded, well that is even better.  When we feel those expectations are not met, we are disappointed and every right to be.

I also have posted on disappointing cruises with another brand.  I was also met with folks that made me feel badly for even speaking up.  Just social media and many folks feel the need to protect their brand they love so much.  All this to be water off a duck.  Always be transparent. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@KimKM The key to CruiseCritic.com is to share real experiences.  We all have expectations and all we want is for them to be met. If they are exceeded, well that is even better.  When we feel those expectations are not met, we are disappointed and every right to be.

I also have posted on disappointing cruises with another brand.  I was also met with folks that made me feel badly for even speaking up.  Just social media and many folks feel the need to protect their brand they love so much.  All this to be water off a duck.  Always be transparent. 

Though just two quick points. First, expectations should be reasonable and realistic. And second, it would be nice if people focused more on the objective issues we can all understand rather than the subjective ones we know aren't universal.

So one function of a group like this is to help people have reasonable and realistic expectations. And to remind some that what they're discussing is subjective.

And, of course, we should all be polite and civil in our discourse. But I can't help it if someone "feels badly", for example, because they were being unreasonable, unrealistic, or too focused on subjective evaluations specific to them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though just two quick points. First, expectations should be reasonable and realistic. And second, it would be nice if people focused more on the objective issues we can all understand rather than the subjective ones we know aren't universal.

So one function of a group like this is to help people have reasonable and realistic expectations. And to remind some that what they're discussing is subjective.

And, of course, we should all be polite and civil in our discourse. But I can't help it if someone "feels badly", for example, because they were being unreasonable, unrealistic, or too focused on subjective evaluations specific to them.

Thank you for explaining to us how we should think and what to post.  Are you friends with Xi Jinping?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, brobin111 said:

Thank you for explaining to us how we should think and what to post.  Are you friends with Xi Jinping?

Just don't complain or get upset if people comment about unrealistic or unreasonable expectations. Or point out that you're whining about things unique to you upon which others may not only disagree with but have a completely opposite reaction to. That's the difference between objective (your toilet flooded) versus subjective (I thought the singers were horrible in the show).

• Like 1

Can't wait to be on an O ship again....we were on the Riviera in Jan....

Now on a Viking,TA....and never again....horrible food, nothing to do, roof over the pool does not open up due to technical issues,  so it's unbelievably hot....

Yup, using up a covid credit, but never again.

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Thank you. I appreciate your understanding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I have to be honest. At this point, I'm really over being told how unreasonable I am. I won't make this mistake again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Just don't complain or get upset if people comment about unrealistic or unreasonable expectations. Or point out that you're whining about things unique to you upon which others may not only disagree with but have a completely opposite reaction to. That's the difference between objective (your toilet flooded) versus subjective (I thought the singers were horrible in the show).

Is that an objective or subjective statement.  Sounds more subjective to me...

• Like 5

On 3/17/2023 at 10:25 AM, redraider1966 said:

As I do not know to whom you will sending a letter directly, may I suggest that you address them to FDR and FDR Jr.  My experience has been that bringing problems and concerns to the attention of CEOs, i.e., cutting thru the bureaucratic layers below, heightens the chances for a substantive response and some resolution.

From what  I have seen in the past FDR try's to take care of all the problems he knows about. At one time he was reading all these boards.  Do not know about now as he is so busy with all the NCL company's

• Like 1