Shoe Question

stacied68

After researching, I know that layers are the way to go for clothing.   Now on to shoes.  

Our cruise is in mid May.  We are whale watching in Juneau, train/bus ride in Skagway and exploring on our own in Ketchikan and Victoria. 

Do I need to bring waterproof hiking boots, rain boots or will tennis shoes/sneakers be good enough?  I know the weather can be rainy and don't want to be walking around with wet feet.  But since we are flying to Seattle, I don't want to pack items that are not needed.

Thanks

Stacie 

• Like 1

I have a pair of black waterproof hiking shoes that I take on potentially rainy cruises.  The look good enough to wear to dinner (but then I am a casual dresser) when I am doing carry-on only trips.  They were very useful in Iceland where it rained a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083Z6RXY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been on 3 Alaska cruises and have been lucky enough to never have encountered rain.  But for our 4th cruise this summer, I'm bringing these shoes just in case.  Being on a long excursion with wet feet is miserable.

It rains a lot in Ketchikan.  Last I went to Alaska, that was the only stop where it rained considerably.  We walked around town but I had on waterproof boots.  While I have never tried it, I hear there is some product you can put on your shoes to make them waterproof or at least repellent.  

• Like 1

I think it’s worth the investment to get a good pair of waterproof walking shoes.  I have a pair of Merrell walking shoes as well as a pair of Hoka hiking boots (don’t always take my hiking boots on a cruise).  I wear the shoes on the airplane to save packing space.  Nothing worse than wet feet on a hike or excursion!

You can also waterproof your current shoes with a spray.  I did that to my kids’ shoes on our first Alaskan cruise.  It was cheaper to buy a $7 spray than to buy new shoes that they would grow out of in six months!  The spray actually worked really well—kept their feet dry on a kayak/hiking excursion in rainy Ketchikan!,

• Like 1

I am a huge Doc Marten devotee for travel and they have some great waterproof pairs that are also slip resistant for early season Alaska voyages. The boots last virtually forever, are incredibly stable the insoles are replaceable/interchangeable, and many pair are lightweight with little to no break in period… and they are timelessly cool.

• Like 1

There are some good suggestions here as they are light-weight and don’t take up a lot of room. You’re not really doing any hiking and most of the time you’ll be on the deck of a boat, a bus or a city street. I take two pair of sneakers and trade them out as needed.

• Like 1

I can't recommend Vessi shoes enough. They're waterproof sneakers from a company in Vancouver, Canada. As a BC resident, I've found mine to be perfect on rainy walks and comfy and lightweight like slip-on Skechers. I am definitely bringing my Vessis with me to Alaska! 

(I've previously owned waterproof hiking boots, but I found them too heavy and quite uncomfortable. I have many inflammation issues that cause a lot of pains in my feet, ankles and hips. But I never experience pain in my Vessi Stormburst sneakers.) 

• Like 1

Hi all!  We are heading to Alaska in June, can't wait!!!  The hubby and I both got waterproof hiking shoes.  I got some Merrills and he got Red Heads.  My 15 y/o boys didn't want any, so I'm going to spray their shoes.  Anyone have a particular favorite spray or the best working one?  Thanks!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ermedchyc29 said:

Hi all!  We are heading to Alaska in June, can't wait!!!  The hubby and I both got waterproof hiking shoes.  I got some Merrills and he got Red Heads.  My 15 y/o boys didn't want any, so I'm going to spray their shoes.  Anyone have a particular favorite spray or the best working one?  Thanks!!

camp dry or scotch guard seems to be good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 4:28 PM, kickboxrca said:

Fourth time to AK coming up next month - although you can get by with just sneakers, you will be much more comfortable in waterproof hikers ... many others were slipping and sliding - it does rain a lot in AK.

I am the opposite. I don't feel comfortable in hiking boots. My athletic shoes have a good sole and I don't slip.

Edited by Coral

Four times to Alaska.  Merrills hiking boots all the way.  Non slip, cozy waterproof, cool colors.   I wear on the plane.  Also, Clarks Wavewalk waterproof shoes come with me.   Alaska for us is an active cruise, hiking, walking, exploring and you can only do that in waterproof shoes / boots.  It rains a lot.  If you get a sunny day, you are lucky.  Do not expect sunshine.  A waterproof Gortex long jacket with plenty of pockets, and a puffy fleece underneath is my outfit of choice with a scarf, gloves and a warm hat and I wear all those items onto the plane as well.   Then, once seated, I throw them all into a folded bag and am on my way.  Saves room in luggage for fancier shoes for the cruise ship.  Also, bring that umbrella.  

We’ve been to Southeast Alaska 17 times and we wear the same shoes and clothes we wear in winter here in the Pacific Northwest. Are our shoes waterproof I doubt it, have my feet ever gotten wet, No. If you plan on hiking up in the woods then you should bring a pair of waterproof hiking boots. But for just playing tourist in town, on the train, whale watching, walking/hiking out to Nugget falls at Mendenhall Glacier all you need is a comfortable pair of shoes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a pair of these (slightly older styling) that I used in for my Alaska trips and they were perfect! The comfort of sneakers but with the treads you need in the rain and on ice (hiked Exit Glacier with no issues). And they are light weight. Dry feet are happy feet!

Amazon.com | Salomon Speedcross 5 Gore-TEX Trail Running Shoes for Women, Delphinium Blue/Mallard Blue/Lavender, 9 | Trail Running

Edited by Twocoasts
forgot link
  • Like 2

first time we went to alaska, it poured every day except the day we had Glacier Bay (taht was a blessing!).  while we had all the right gear in terms of raincoats, hood, gloves, et.  we only had sneakers and our feet were wet and cold the whole time.  we did at least bring 2 pair so we always started out dry, but we made the most of it.

second tiem we still didnt bring rain boots but lucked out with weather.  lol 

• 2 weeks later...

Doc Martens have been a classic travel companion and many have no break-in issues. My go to trial pair have zippers so they are a breeze when I forget to put my TSA Pre Check number into a flight booking!

i picked  a new pair up on on sale for an upcoming cruise and a few test wears went great with no hot spots. They’re waterproof, super stable, and have some grip in case you need it.

https://www.drmartens.com/us/en/1460-trinity-waterproof-slip-resistant-boots/p/27861001