A First Fond Farewell for Odyssey

Flamin_June

This is an interesting discussion, a touch more nuanced and wide ranging than the run-of-the-mill dress code roundabouts. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and interesting contributions. Although I will continue to report on any startling idiosyncrasies of dress that I come across on our voyage (and there is no personal judgement involved - we have found that the most dowdily and inappropriately dressed people can be utterly charming, while the smartly  and expensively dressed can be boorish dullards), my last words for now on the matter are that on this leg there are many more old school Seabourn sailors, and dress, and manners, are in keeping with whatever that may imply.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thursday 20th April, 17.40. At sea

And so, despite the shortages of acceptable attire, we bravely sailed on to the Tuamotus: scores of atolls spread across the Pacific, east of Tahiti. Lengthy strips of land,  trees, palms and  sandy islets. At first glimpse they appear as impossible illusions, a line of trees and vegetation growing out of the sea. Although hardly developed, both Fakarava and Rangiroa are not untouched by the demands of tourism, Rangiroa more so than Fakarava. There are snack shacks and tourist centres and little pearl shops; on Fakarava, rather agreeably to my mind, they were mostly closed or simply deserted and we had to follow our noses till we found a suitable spot to shelter from the intense sun and take a swim and snorkel in the tepid turquoise water. Rangiroa has more bustle or enterprise, French expats offering snorkelling and diving trips, a few more eateries and market stalls. We made our way down a beautifully shaded avenue of coconut trees to Les relais de Josephine, a small snack bar where one sits at tables on a platform looking out across the narrow pass of sea, swiftly flowing from the swell of the Pacific to the calm lagoon, at a small islet. It is not far from idyllic, about three centimetres I would guess. To top it all we tucked into a typical French Polynesian delicacy - a jambon et fromage sandwich as a late breakfast. Delicious.

We also had another swim and snorkel and bought a shell bracelet for our granddaughter. Back to Odyssey by 15.00 we made for the patio and had a napa burger and fries each for lunch. Also delicious. All this deliciousness did not leave much room for our TKG booking, so we just had a few of the salads from the starters menu, washed down with some Bordeaux, and topped off with a couple of Irish coffees. Delicious again. 

• Like 5

On 4/19/2023 at 10:10 AM, PaulMCO said:

For those that want that kind of luxury experience, a unique way to visit Japan in a comfortable way so they don't have to take the trains, take the buses, worry about the language -- everything like that will be taken care of for them," said Kaufman, who has held senior positions within Carnival Corp. brands and Holland America Group and spent time developing the inbound and outbound markets in Japan.

Looks like it will business as usual, Seabourn by another name.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, markham said:

Who has the problem indeed, and what can anyone do about the “problem”?

What people do and say is a minefield. But only if you are trying to make sense of what any of this means.

Some of us know “old Seabourn” and I hasten to add that that was not necessarily more than a couple of years ago. Sure there were, even then, characters who did not respect the dress code as it was structured, but most of us were patient about it. (I am talking about those men who chose to wear what they liked after 18:00 in the Obs Bar etc). Next came the hollerers across the bar who had no sense that there were other people around who would be annoyed by their hollering. You know, about their idea of conversation ie projecting all they know, often about themselves, as if anyone cares, except for those who are equally as boorish.

Anyway, it seems to me that the “elegant jeans” policy, no signage much less attempt to remind passengers about dress standards, appeals for a more “broad demographic” has been deleterious to the Seabourn brand. It is now anything goes, so to speak, as exemplified by the baggy ancient trousered older male passenger who wore open toed sandals daily in the Quest MDR on our Jan-March Grand Voyage, no questions asked. Which made it not so grand at all. How so? There was the demographic that thought it humorous when staff told them to stay seated in the tenders, only for those passengers to joke among themselves, “what are they gonna do- throw us off? 

So there we are. It may very well be time for us nostalgic types to abandon the brand. After all, “times are a-changing”. Simple as that, it seems to me.

But to whom do we change? After our disappointing cruise on the Ovation in February we looked at other cruise lines but it seems many are experiencing exactly the same issues as Seabourn. 

So there we are. It may very well be time for us nostalgic types to abandon the brand. After all, “times are a-changing”. Simple as that, it seems to me.

But to whom do we change? After our disappointing cruise on the Ovation in February we looked at other cruise lines but it seems many are experiencing exactly the same issues as Seabourn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, margbem said:

Yes,there are bad cruises on all lines and there are good cruises on all lines.

It's pot luck which one you are sailing on.

Life is good at sea whatever goes on.

• Like 1

Friday 21st April. 09.39, Hiva Oa

Odyssey dropped anchor a few minutes ago. For the past couple of hours we have sailed towards and past the outer Marquesas. These are sterner, more rugged islands in profile, rocky surfaces more exposed, less inviting, like bastions in the emerald waters, where we must scour the coastline for any small cove or bay that might allow us footfall. There is a cooling breeze, although we are closer to the equator and there is a swell upon the sea, which is a darker colder deeper green. There was talk yesterday evening that the swell might be too strong to allow tender landings. We are here now slowly but perceptibly swaying, and we await the customary clearance procedures to be completed. It looks like the tenders will be going ahead, but it will be a choppy ride. Well no, in the last few moments the Captain has announced that the situation is being evaluated for safety. There will be another announcement in 30 minutes

• Like 2

One thing that matter to us big-time when choosing a different cruise line is simple, and obvious once you add that into the equation. It’s the design.

For us it is the availability of a large top deck walking track and large swimming pool. Note the word “large”. None of the Seabourn ships offer such facilities, and we know that the Silversea Dawn, Moon and Muse do. Their pool is a good 40-50% larger than any Seabourn ship’s. These three Silversea walking tracks have 2 defined lanes and is at least twice the length of the Seabourn U shaped walking areas on deck 5. These Silversea ships are the same passenger capacity as Encore/Ovation which, interestingly enough, have the same size pool and a less generous U shaped walking area (not even a track as such) than Ody/Soj/Quest which have 150 fewer passengers. Imagine that, if you will. It’s true.

It would seem that basing Seabourn’s new builds since 2009 based, as they were, on the Pride/Legend/Spirit has not stood the test of time given that other cruise lines have, as of a few years ago now, outsmarted the Seabourn’s designers in terms of what’s available in the market today. And now that the Ody/Soj/Quest are are looking dated, well, we checked out some viable alternatives.

If a cruise lines has the design of these 2 items in a newer ship we are open to a switch over.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

It’s a no go for Hiva Oa sad to say as the island looks magnificent in an outer Hebredian sort of way.

In the meantime an interesting discussion ensues overhead. I will try to join in later, after trivia, which is looming on what has effectively become a sea day. I have been reserving commenting too much on issues and problems partly because the itinerary is the focus here, and partly because it is often the case in the greater scheme of things that today’s major annoyance becomes yesterdays trivial irritation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So…. While we have been having a spot of scenic sailing around and about the Marquesas, I have spent the last hour and a half writing several paragraphs in response to some of the earlier posts. Reading them over, my efforts look dull and long-winded , so to hell with it, I have deleted them. 
Here is what I think in a nutshell…..maybe that should be coconut shell.

Nothing is the same as it was precovid. 
Yes there are some guests from the broader demographic, who bring their mass-market manners, or lack thereof with them, who are less gracious, less well behaved, less considerate of and respectful to other passengers and crew.

Some crew are new, and gauche, or drawn from the mass market and need retraining. 

Corporate bean counters have imposed cuts, or restrictions, or profitability improvement plans, which have reigned in some of the luxuries and extravagances that many had got used to.

It will never be exactly as it once was.

But there are many on board who have the historical memory of where and what Seabourn once was and are doing all they can to keep it alive and see it restored. 
It will take time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with SLSD that we shouldn’t pass judgement on people based on the way they’re dressed. Pardon the pun but, since we’re not in their shoes, let’s refrain from doing so. The bared-footed gentleman seen in the Colonnade is probably the one I met who badly injured his feet on coral & couldn’t put his shoes on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, texanaust said:

Some crew went to Viking but its not a line that we would choose.  Some also went to Windstar and Scenic.  

I wouldn't do any of the three.  Point being there are plenty of options for passengers.  Objectives between passengers and crew do not neccessarily match.    Looking forward to three other lines that have been booked.  Two yet to set sail, and one that gets little play on Cruise Critic.

Flamin’ June, would you please define what you mean by “mass market” individuals?  I find this thread, and your posts, extremely entertaining, but it bothers me that you seem to put people into categories based on their social class.

It has nothing to do with social class. Mass market is shorthand for the kind of experience to be found on huge mega ships with thousands of passengers.

I dont put people into categories based on social class. Bad manners, selfish behaviour, disregard for others feelings, an inflated opinion of one’s self importance, and self entitlement cut across all social classes. And that has nothing to do with mass market. I just record what I observe, and try to be amusing about it in a mildly satirical way..

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Saturday 22nd April, 16.50, Nuka Hiva.

So here we are parked in the lovely fjord-like Taiohae Bay, rugged rock faces loom either side of us, swathed in grass and shrubs. We are close to the equator now, I guess it is always hot here. It is hot now and humid, thick clouds catch the ridge backed peaks which rise up from a narrow strip of sand that defines the bay. We are waiting to raise anchor and cast off, 2086 nautical miles to the next landfall. A steps out to the balcony and yells “A ray! There’s a ray!” A huge, well, jolly big, manta birostris is gliding alongside Odyssey, just below our balcony, just below the surface. It glides towards the aft and disappears beneath the water, then turns and glides back rising towards the surface, the tip of one wing flips out of the water, back past our balcony, then turns oh so gracefully and disappears once again into the darker depths. 

Now we sail away, a golden glow drops behind the dark brooding silhouette of Nuka Hiva, black and purple clouds rimmed with glowing orange.

Last night we ate in the Restaurant at a hosted table. The food was fine, someone had the lamb chops, we had the chicken cassoulet en croute, there was flounder (plaice, would you believe), roblochon cheese, Sauternes and all sorts of other pleasures. But the reason I mention it was that the service at our table was just the best we have ever had. It was a $100 tip stuff. Superb. Unobtrusive, discrete, one was hardly aware, yet always there, attentive, everything on time, never a need to beckon. A table of eight, all in animated conversation, not easy to manage. Ariel and Jose take a bow.

Many a jacket to report as well.

Tonight it is Ad hoc ribs in the Colonnade, and rumour has it there will be an Indian Market night on Monday.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

Saturday 22nd April, 16.50, Nuka Hiva.

So here we are parked in the lovely fjord-like Taiohae Bay, rugged rock faces loom either side of us, swathed in grass and shrubs. We are close to the equator now, I guess it is always hot here. It is hot now and humid, thick clouds catch the ridge backed peaks which rise up from a narrow strip of sand that defines the bay. We are waiting to raise anchor and cast off, 2086 nautical miles to the next landfall. A steps out to the balcony and yells “A ray! There’s a ray!” A huge, well, jolly big, manta birostris is gliding alongside Odyssey, just below our balcony, just below the surface. It glides towards the aft and disappears beneath the water, then turns and glides back rising towards the surface, the tip of one wing flips out of the water, back past our balcony, then turns oh so gracefully and disappears once again into the darker depths. 

Now we sail away, a golden glow drops behind the dark brooding silhouette of Nuka Hiva, black and purple clouds rimmed with glowing orange.

Last night we ate in the Restaurant at a hosted table. The food was fine, someone had the lamb chops, we had the chicken cassoulet en croute, there was flounder (plaice, would you believe), roblochon cheese, Sauternes and all sorts of other pleasures. But the reason I mention it was that the service at our table was just the best we have ever had. It was a $100 tip stuff. Superb. Unobtrusive, discrete, one was hardly aware, yet always there, attentive, everything on time, never a need to beckon. A table of eight, all in animated conversation, not easy to manage. Ariel and Jose take a bow.

Many a jacket to report as well.

Tonight it is Ad hoc ribs in the Colonnade, and rumour has it there will be an Indian Market night on Monday.

Who was the host for the table?

10 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

Who was the host for the table?

I can’t tell you that as it might give away my secret identity 🦸‍♂️.

However I can tell you that the host was a very junior member of staff, on their first contract, so I don’t think Ariel and Jose were upping their game because of the host. They were just at the top of their game.

16 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

I can’t tell you that as it might give away my secret identity 🦸‍♂️.

However I can tell you that the host was a very junior member of staff, on their first contract, so I don’t think Ariel and Jose were upping their game because of the host. They were just at the top of their game.

That's ok everyone knows who you are anyway.

• Haha 2