Chair Hoggers (Funny or Annoying?)

Jeter02

Chair Hoggers (Funny or Annoy?)  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find chair hoggers to be annoying or funny?

• Hilarious 😂
    • Annoying 😡

2 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It's all about the time you are gone from your chair.  If you are using it, but get up to go do something and are back in the time allotted by Princess, you are not a chair hog.

In a previous thread on this, some thought that if you get up at all, you should take your stuff with you.  Everyone see this stuff different.

Sad to say, for some individuals, "doing something" is leaving you chairs, having a leisurely lunch for an hour or so, perhaps taking part in one of the activities and then returning to your lounge.  

• Like 1

Just now, stevenr597 said:

Where does it end?  How Long can one "reserve" a table or chair.  How many chairs are acceptable for one to reserve in the theater.

Matter of courtesy. 

It ends when my husband and I both leave the area. 

I gave up on being courteous. It'll never change.

If you want a seat, get there early. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

1) individuals leave an item on a table in the buffet and then begin to look for food. 

You have an issue with this?  I don't.  I mean, assuming they put something down to reserve the table and go get food and come back, which I would think wouldn't take most people more than 5 minutes to do.  Sometimes it's impossible to find a table, and I don't want to walk around 20 minutes looking for a place to sit while the food in my hands is getting cold.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I am surprised to see this topic.  On my last two Princess cruises (warm weather Mex Riviera cruises out of L.A.), I noticed how many lounge chairs were empty and available around the pools. There seemed to be no “chair hog” issues.

On the other hand, there was inadequate seating at the buffet, especially if you wanted an ocean view seat.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Where does it end?  How Long can one "reserve" a table or chair.  How many chairs are acceptable for one to reserve in the theater.

Matter of courtesy. 

You don't seem to understand.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I am surprised to see this topic.  On my last two Princess cruises (warm weather Mex Riviera cruises out of L.A.), I noticed how many lounge chairs were empty and available around the pools. There seemed to be no “chair hog” issues.

On the other hand, there was inadequate seating at the buffet, especially if you wanted an ocean view seat.

Interesting observation! It's always been the talk of the town during Caribbean season here out on the east coast. 

• Like 1

On our last cruise, I sat on the level above the terrace pool and watched three lounges below me for at least 2 hours with a bunch of stuff but no people. I don't find it amusing, I find it inconsiderate. The thing is, people claim to do that because they are afraid they won't find a seat when they want it, but if people didn't hog chairs then it wouldn't be necessary to hog chairs. It's a vicious cycle.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

It ends when my husband and I both leave the area. 

I gave up on being courteous. It'll never change.

If you want a seat, get there early. 

Thank you for making my point......

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

Then again, perhaps I do and you don't like the answer...on a ship with many people it is important to be thoughtful and courteous. 

You mixed saving a table in buffet to get food with hogging pool chairs.  They are not the same.  There is nothing with the former and terrible wrong with the latter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RNRcruisers said:

On our last cruise, I sat on the level above the terrace pool and watched three lounges below me for at least 2 hours with a bunch of stuff but no people. I don't find it amusing, I find it inconsiderate. The thing is, people claim to do that because they are afraid they won't find a seat when they want it, but if people didn't hog chairs then it wouldn't be necessary to hog chairs. It's a vicious cycle.

So true.  If people would just have some consideration for others, then this wouldn’t be an issue.  If you want a lounge chair then use it.  Take a swim, get a drink or bring back a snack, visit the restroom….all of these are good reasons to save “your” seat for a reasonable amount of time.  Just because you sat there, doesn’t mean that chair or lounge now belongs to you for the day, even if you’re not occupying it.  Some people are just so unaware that other people matter as much as they do.  Or, they just don’t care.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

A BA pilot friend said he was told to hold at the gate in Frankfurt while a Lufthansa with same departure time pushed back. He asked Lufthansa via radio if this was local preference. Lufthansa said, 'No, we were out here early and left our towel on the runway.'

Reminds me if the tale of a BEA pilot having trouble locating the airport in Berlin,  due to bad weather in the 1960s. Air traffic control got a little exasperated and asked if the pilot had ever flown to Berlin before. 

The answer was "Yes, quite a few times, but never needed to land !".

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

We do get annoyed when we see non-handicapped people in the theater setting in chairs definitely for handicap people or people in wheel chairs/scooters and their attendants. 

It is very annoying and difficult for people who are confined in mobility devices, when chair hogs hold ADA seating.  Even had one who acted as if she never heard of ADA (I was aware that she was an immigrant, but she spoke enough English to understand and probably lived in the SF Bay Area.)
But just as annoying was a person in one of the rental scooters who parked her scooter in one of the ADA cutouts and sat in the row behind it, using the scooter as a footrest, blocking access to two rows of seats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I commend you for being an advocate for the handicap. Unfortunately, some “handicaps” are not visible from the outside.  There is no where in Princess Theater that you can seat (except in nose bleed section) that is accessible without steps.  

i did find one ship that did not have stairs into 6th deck. Don’t remember if that was the Ruby. 

The Ruby has 6th floor ADA access as do all of the Royal class ships (like the Royal currently sailing out of San Francisco,)  Not sure but it looks like they may have retrofitted some ships (like the Grand?) for 6th floor access during the shutdown.  We looked at the nosebleed section when we were on the Royal a few weeks ago, and they've got both ADA parking/seating space, and additionally rows of seating behind that as well.

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

This is tolerated MUCH more so than at the pool (at least by me).  Getting seating in the buffet can be quite challenging...it just does not bother me when I see a table being "held" in the buffet because I *know* they'll be back very shortly.  With the pool...that can be a different story altogether.

The ones are those small groups who hog a large table in the buffet.  I even saw one guy pull over a table for two to a table for four, for his group of four and refused to let anyone sit there.  Then they moved their chairs to hog both tables.  Or the ones who hog a round table of 6 for their mahjong while others are trying to find a place to eat..

• Like 1

I do see a lot of this in Europe at hotels on the sun loungers. Lol sometimes early in the morning you might catch them race to get the best spot. Amusing to watch and to also wonder how sad its got to put your towel there to claim the spot for the day, if if your not there for half the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CeCe_ said:

You mixed saving a table in buffet to get food with hogging pool chairs.  They are not the same.  There is nothing with the former and terrible wrong with the latter.

It's no different other than an occasional ethnic demographic difference.  Hogs is hogs and discourteous doesn't differ though in some cultures it may seem appropriate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That is certainly one way to do it. 

I think to make it more hilarious for @Jeter02 and others is to simply remove the towels and sit down when the "owners" are nowhere in sight.  If they ever do come back and complain, just tell them you found the chair empty.  (It was empty of a human after all).  They will have no idea who removed their towel or book, etc.  If you really wanted to get them, you could turn anything else into lost & found.  Now that would be really hilarious.

I like your style 👍😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

It's no different other than an occasional ethnic demographic difference.  Hogs is hogs and discourteous doesn't differ though in some cultures it may seem appropriate.

Since you mentioned "demographic difference", so no hogs are the same then.  In the buffet dining setting, you can do a few things:

1)  "be diversified"

2)  Petition only people have food on the hands be allowed to serve coffee/drink on the table.  As those are not "personal items" but is an indication that a table has been taken.  Feel free to stalk all tables for the time when eaters return. 

3)  Dine in formal dining rooms every meal.  And best, join the Suite club, you will be instantly seated.  

Lastly, quit cruising all together.  It doesn't look like it meets the expectation of your culture.  Most American do not agree with you.

Edited by CeCe_
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

But many do feel that reserving a table at the buffet is indeed the same as reserving chairs at the pool. 

3 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

But many do feel that reserving a table at the buffet is indeed the same as reserving chairs at the pool. 

Read my previous reply.  To make an accusation, you need to present evidence.

Edited by CeCe_

14 minutes ago, CeCe_ said:

1)  "be diversified"

You could always get a cup of hot coffee and leave it on the table for reservation purposes. I prefer a water travel carry bag laid out across the table and hasn't failed me yet. 

Opolski Portable Water Bottle Carrier Insulated Cup Cover Bag Holder Protective Pouch

• Like 1