LIVE ALASKA NCL BLISS 04-22-2023 to 04-29-2023 Review

graphicguy

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Remember to not order that bottle of Veuve or other really high end liquor until you’re offshore…unless you want to pay tax on that value…which you may be fine with. See you in a week!

Yes! We are bringing our Veuve onboard with us. Pre-chilled too! 😎🥂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nataly1982 said:

I never recall paying any additional taxes on drinks when you have free at sea. As long as the price is below $15 you are good to go. So is Washington state different from rest of the world? Does anyone know? 

Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) also has the drink tax.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Local taxes are charged in many ports.  Applies until you get 12 miles away from closest land point.

This might be a silly question, but isn’t the ship within 12 miles of land a LOT when scenic cruising along a coast, such as the inside passage to Alaska? Or do you mean from a port?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Interesting that the club balcony on the Bliss has a tub, the club balcony on the Encore didn’t. I thought they’d be the same!

I wondered about this, too, as we'll be on the Bliss in a club balony soon and I would prefer a walk-in shower to a tub. The videos I've seen on youtube show the walk-in shower (notably one filmed on deck 12). We'll be on deck 13 so I hope that we have a walk-in shower. It is odd that they wouldn't all be the same.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I wondered about this, too, as we'll be on the Bliss in a club balony soon and I would prefer a walk-in shower to a tub. The videos I've seen on youtube show the walk-in shower (notably one filmed on deck 12). We'll be on deck 13 so I hope that we have a walk-in shower. It is odd that they wouldn't all be the same.

I believe on the Bliss they alternate Family Club Balcony and Club Balcony.  Family club has beds next to balcony.  Looks like graphic guy is in a Family Club Balcony…perhaps that’s the difference. We were in 10200 Club Balcony and it was shower stall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

I was curious so I just checked on cruise deck plans website and there are club balcony suites on both the Encore and Bliss on deck 9 classified as MC that have the tub. On the Encore last year I was in a club balcony suite on deck 15 classified as M4, that had the big walk in shower.

I prefer the walk-in shower as I have arthritis in my knees and that high step up I try to avoid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bomabound said:

This might be a silly question, but isn’t the ship within 12 miles of land a LOT when scenic cruising along a coast, such as the inside passage to Alaska? Or do you mean from a port?

In NOLA it is from the mouth of the Mississippi, several hours away from the port. They started charging the night before arriving, maybe 11 pm.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Actually you got those because you organized the meet and greet.  Fruit is not part of latitudes (except for the chocolate covered strawberries.) That’s also why you have the card from the GM. You should experience regular check-ins while dining from the GM’s secretary.  They used to give the organizer of meet and greets access to the Haven for breakfast and lunch but I believe that has been discontinued due to two bloggers.

Two bloggers, can I have a hint

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lush LaRue said:

So far off to a good start for my group. Got everyone on and settled without losing their cabin key or important documents. Great dining in Taste for lunch and dinner. Wifi slow but manageable. (I like the internet, chat with home for dog updates.. not someone that puts away technology on a vacation.) If I can get my cats all heading in the same direction by 10:30, we’ll see you in a bit. 🙂

Yes but what about Veuve, or are you waiting until you are out of taxing range?  That’s what I did in Tampa

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nataly1982 said:

I never recall paying any additional taxes on drinks when you have free at sea. As long as the price is below $15 you are good to go. So is Washington state different from rest of the world? Does anyone know? 

Happens in Tampa as well

• Like 1

20 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Sapphire latitudes does not come with a fruit basket.  

Hi, Dan - YVR and others are correct, AFAIK, any of the extra treats, aside from the strawberries, aren't for being Sapphires.  Enjoy them, depending on the GM and his secretary, you might get other surprises but don't expect any. 

EMC's WiFi on the Atlantic side is fine & usable for me. DW wanted to upgrade using OBC and it's a fair trade-off for 14 days. 

Regards from onboard the Epic, brings a subtle reminder of the Gem, odd & strange, but true with the oldest mega ship in the NCL fleet - Henry

Screenshot_20230423-183029.png

• Like 4

Well…been tough trying to post.  Said it several times,…seems like a simple thing for the cruise lines and Cruise Critic to cooperate with each other to facilitate posting!

But, BUSY DAY so far.  Had a grand time at the Cruise Critic Meet and Greet!  We had about 35-40 guests.  Hung out until they kicked us out for another event.  Officers were accommodating and engaging.  Great to hang with my fellow CC-ers.  

Jalapeno Mojito is this afternoon’s libation…. 

IMG_0794.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

• Like 10

My bride and I are celebrating our 40th anniversary on the sailing that leaves 4/29. This will be our 4th trip to Alaska. (3 on the Bliss and one on the Encore.) We love the ship and are very familiar with all it has to offer but I have a couple of humble questions and a request:

• How full is the ship and does it feel full - in other words, long wait for elevators, tables in the buffet, drinks in the bars. Our last cruise was during Covid with about 50% occupancy and a huge crew.
  • How is the Beatles cover band? Last May on the same cruise they had a new George and he was not good. Hoping for a more seasoned group this time.
  • Could someone post the Dailies (starting with Day 1)

Thank you in advance and have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

Behind the scenes tour this morning…

Was not allowed to take pics of the back end of the entertainment venues, but….

Jersey Boys and Six are leaving the Bliss the end of the week.  New cast and crew for both start on next week’s sailing.

Both shows are licensed from their Broadway Productions.  And, aside from the personnel involved and the venue, the productions are required to be IDENTICAL to their Broadway counterparts.

Costumes for SIX, alone, costs $200K.

Laundry personnel work 10 hour shifts, 7 days a week, with a shift break for meals.

IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0789.jpeg

• Like 6

Henry…been a little rocky today.  But, as we get closer to Juneau, the sun is out and the waters are calming a little.  Hope you’re enjoying your trip!

Ship is full.  No particular fall off in service that I can tell.  Some differences, yes (like 1x/day cabin service).   But no fall off.

Need to stress a separate point.  Like most here, I cruise a lot.  And, not only on NCL!

My Cruise Critic friends are wonderful.  I wish we all lived close to each other, because I would love to hang out with them.

In all sincerity, y’all are a treat!!!!!

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Hi, Dan - YVR and others are correct, AFAIK, any of the extra treats, aside from the strawberries, aren't for being Sapphires.  Enjoy them, depending on the GM and his secretary, you might get other surprises but don't expect any. 

EMC's WiFi on the Atlantic side is fine & usable for me. DW wanted to upgrade using OBC and it's a fair trade-off for 14 days. 

Regards from onboard the Epic, brings a subtle reminder of the Gem, odd & strange, but true with the oldest mega ship in the NCL fleet - Henry

Screenshot_20230423-183029.png

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I believe on the Bliss they alternate Family Club Balcony and Club Balcony.  Family club has beds next to balcony.  Looks like graphic guy is in a Family Club Balcony…perhaps that’s the difference. We were in 10200 Club Balcony and it was shower stall.

You’re right!  I was assigned my GTY balcony.  It has a pull-down bed that comes out of the ceiling.  Frivolous, given I’m a solo.  But, that’s what they gave me!

IMG_0802.jpeg

• Like 4

My dinner plans have been thrown for a loop.  

They rescheduled both Jersey Boys and Six from what I had reserved.  That means SDP plans have to be changed.  Problem there, now the places I had reservations are now sold out.  So, I’m screwed.  Time to go to Customer Service.  Restaurant reservations is not answering their phone.

😮🙁😕

Art from around the ship!!!!

PS…watched Deal or No Deal for a minute!!!

IMG_0795.jpeg

IMG_0799.jpeg

IMG_0798.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0797.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, purpleally said:

Two bloggers, can I have a hint

Not even sure they’re still active.  They did a hatchet job on one of the best (former) Concierges in the entire  NCL fleet because he wouldn’t let them dine in the Haven given they didn’t have a Haven cabin!

It was years ago.  They did 2 or 3 YouTube vids absolutely roasting this Concierge for just doing his job!

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not even sure they’re still active.  They did a hatchet job on one of the best (former) Concierges in the entire  NCL fleet because he wouldn’t let them dine in the Haven given they didn’t have a Haven cabin!

It was years ago.  They did 2 or 3 YouTube vids absolutely roasting this Concierge for just doing his job!

Yes, it was horrendous the entitlement those two had.

Mr A was wonderful, we were in the Haven not long after this and made sure the GM knew how wonderful we thought he was.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Behind the scenes tour this morning…

Was not allowed to take pics of the back end of the entertainment venues, but….

Jersey Boys and Six are leaving the Bliss the end of the week.  New cast and crew for both start on next week’s sailing.

Both shows are licensed from their Broadway Productions.  And, aside from the personnel involved and the venue, the productions are required to be IDENTICAL to their Broadway counterparts.

Costumes for SIX, alone, costs $200K.

Laundry personnel work 10 hour shifts, 7 days a week, with a shift break for meals.

IMG_0790.jpeg

IMG_0789.jpeg

Did you have to leave the tour early to make to the CC meet&greet?
I plan on doing both next week and wondering if it’s easy to leave the tour early if need be.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, justhappy said:

Did you have to leave the tour early to make to the CC meet&greet?
I plan on doing both next week and wondering if it’s easy to leave the tour early if need be.

I did!  I had to leave early and missed the galley part of the behind the scenes.

• Like 1