CCL's stock price

Shawn5

8 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Weird that Adora gets new ships.  One would assume the 30% equity partner has to contribute capital to such things.  

Not necessarily. It appears that CCL contributed a couple of existing ships to the joint venture.

It also appears that CCL provided the ship design, of the ship being built in China. But nothing else on any of the financial reports.

Considering those contributions more likely the Chinese company funding the new build.

Edited by ldtr

On 3/29/2023 at 6:38 AM, chisoxfan said:

Fundamentals mean little in this market. It all depends on the Fed and I would not bet on these Bozos, who have pretty much missed every call in the past decades, to make the correct call.

ldtr makes a good point regarding deposits but I view it as a negative in some ways. Yes, free money but it also locks in pricing in for years.  If you see a recession coming (or here) one could draw a conclusion that many of these deposited future trips could disappear. There was certainly a rush to travel and unprecedented $$$ thrown into the Covid economy that people could not wait to spend. This could turn around quickly in a downturn and/or high inflation economy. Anyway CCL stock and the economy probably not relevant to the CC site but I do enjoy seeing posters views of this and how divergent they can be.

Also, another factor besides the Fed is what happens if the looming US Debt Ceiling is not met which could send the world financial markets and world economy into turmoil.  There is a lot a play that could impact the travel industry.

12 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Also, another factor besides the Fed is what happens if the looming US Debt Ceiling is not met which could send the world financial markets and world economy into turmoil.  There is a lot a play that could impact the travel industry.

Now that could shift things dramatically to the worse. Expect similar games of chicken as have occured in the past.

For those that think that alternatives to cruising are cheaper.

Earlier this morning I was listening to CNBC and they mentioned that new hotel starts are down 18% below last year.  They mentioned how that might impact inflation in  hotel pricing since the average room rate was up 64% over the last year.  

Now that the full 10Q has been released I took a look at the cost of food and fuel for all CCL lines and compared it to pre-covid in 2019.

In 2019 the cost of food per passenger day was $12.02 in the last quarter it was $15.4 up 26%

In 2019 the cost of fuel per passenger day was 17.08 in the last quarter it was $26.5  up 55%

Now part of fuel increase  is due to the lower occupancy rate that  that would account for about 7% of the increase when measured per passenger.  The good news is that oil prices have been dropping so the numbers for fuel for the next quarter should be better 

Eggs, lettuce/leafy greens, frozen potato products, poultry and cooking oils were disproportionately skewing food costs for every foodservice operation in North America but the National Restaurant Association thinks we are in a downward trend at the moment.   I would not be surprised to see at least a dollar of that delta be on just those five commodities.  

Fuel has to be just killing Cunard/Costa/AIDA/P&O with the situations there and their particular mix of itineraries and hardware mandating cleaner, scarcer fuels in a challenging environment for LNG and low sulfur diesel/MGO in Europe.  Carnival used to have a fairly sophisticated hedging strategy for fuel - I wonder how much of that they’re really able to do with their cash and credit picture these days. 

Took a look at revenue per passenger day including both fares and onboard spend.

2019  Revenue was 214.75 per passenger day

Most recent quarter was 219.4 per passenger day

for an increase  of   2.1%

Now this most recent quarter was until the end of Feb.  We started to start seeing the onboard spend increases in March so it will be interesting to see how the numbers come out next quarter.  What it does indicate is that cost increases have really not occurred in general as of this last quarter.  This still reflects a focus on occupancy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 12:12 AM, Shawn5 said:

So it's no secret that cruise lines' stock prices are in the toilet. This chart shows CCL's stock price vs. the S&P500 since 2020. Certainly the pandemic didn't help, but you can't help wondering if there are other factors at play. One thing might be their lousy customer service and the way they treat current and past travelers. Unless you're classified as an "Elite, Platinum, etc." they couldn't care less about you. Try calling them with a simple request or question and you'll get nowhere.  Perhaps they should provide better customer service to those who are spending $3k, $5k, or maybe over $10k on a cruise instead of "escalating" your question or issue to a different person or department that may or most likely will not resolve your problem.

2023-03-25 23_42_20-Carnival Corporation & plc (CCL) Interactive Stock Chart - Yahoo Finance.jpg

Interesting article on debt:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/carnival-cfo-plans-skip-debt-174909399.html

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Now that they are getting back to normal operations and have operations cash flow positive better to use a major portion of the deposits for debt reduction, instead of just sitting on their balance sheet.

Next quarter should be showing positive cash flow over all.

1 minute ago, ldtr said:
32 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Now that they are getting back to normal operations and have operations cash flow positive better to use a major portion of the deposits for debt reduction, instead of just sitting on their balance sheet.

Next quarter should be showing positive cash flow over all.

Interesting stmt: "We expect to keep paying down debt,” Bernstein said. “We should be well positioned and not have the need to refinance in the next two to three years."

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

Thanks for sharing article which was interesting. One commentator (IMHO) was spot on regarding assessment of same:

Comical. CCL isn't chipping away at their debt. They are using customer deposits to temporarily pay off short term debt. Every quarter long term debt continues to increase. This last quarter book value, tangle assets, and equity dropped by another $900Million. Total debt increased by $600Million. Total liabilities increased by $1.2Billion. Cash including customer deposits has peaked. And look at that free cash flow this last quarter. MINUS $687Million. They are just blowing smoke. Trade this high beta bankrupt trash, but never hold it. CCL is finished.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

CCL stock closed at a post-pandemic high today.

Company: Carnival Corporation
Ticker: CCL
Exchange: NYSE
Last Trade: $17.29
Change: 1.4
% Change: +8.81%
Volume: 96,007,140
Day's High: $17.48
Day's Low: $15.88
Previous Close: $15.89

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LACruiser88 said:

CCL stock closed at a post-pandemic high today.

Company: Carnival Corporation
Ticker: CCL
Exchange: NYSE
Last Trade: $17.29
Change: 1.4
% Change: +8.81%
Volume: 96,007,140
Day's High: $17.48
Day's Low: $15.88
Previous Close: $15.89

Of course they did.😃.  I sold all but 100 sales last week.  I still made a decent profit, though.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We invested $1000 so we could get the $100 fidelity was offering for the grand of funding.  Bought 100 shares at $8.20, then waited for the bonus.  Then stock tanked again and we bought 30 more shares.  We own 130.162 shares that are 'worth' $2250 today.  If we sold our extra 30 shares, we'd recoop more than half of what we paid.  

This was throwaway money after we were refunded for our trip from hell (Feb 21, 2020 Grand Princess Hawaii cruise).  

We've gotten 3-4 times our investment back as onboard credit.  Maybe IF the price goes to where I make up the original grand, we'll sell the 30 shares, maybe not.  I'm kinda digging on watching it go up and down.

• Like 1

@Micahs GrandadExactly!! I traded CCL (a lot) in my IRA to wipe out a loss (bought 56 -- had 1.5k OBC sold at 9 so lost 3200 less dividends / then traded a bunch back & forth to recover) finally bought CUK in the brokerage account. Reeped over 1500 OBC so far with another 500 already logged in. Don't really worry about it anymore as the shareholder OBC is like a non-taxable dividend for a stock I've been reimbursed for (yeah I know I'm wrong but that's how I view it)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@Micahs GrandadExactly!! I traded CCL (a lot) in my IRA to wipe out a loss (bought 56 -- had 1.5k OBC sold at 9 so lost 3200 less dividends / then traded a bunch back & forth to recover) finally bought CUK in the brokerage account. Reeped over 1500 OBC so far with another 500 already logged in. Don't really worry about it anymore as the shareholder OBC is like a non-taxable dividend for a stock I've been reimbursed for (yeah I know I'm wrong but that's how I view it)

Have looked at it as a non taxed dividend for years and even though behind now on stock price have tripled our money at least on obc.

• Like 4

I bought a lot of shares a couple of months ago at $9 when I realized that most of the cruises I want to take this summer in a mini-suite or suite were fully booked and starting to book up quickly for next year.

It was a dead give away things were going in their direction.

Edited by gvre
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, gvre said:

I bought a lot of shares a couple of months ago at $9 when I realized that most of the cruises I want to take this summer in a mini-suite or suite were fully booked and starting to book up quickly for next year.

It was a dead give away things were going in their direction.

Not sure they are out of the woods as they still have a huge debt on their books but do enough cruising and will get back the money you paid for the stock. Only negative is they keep raising  auto tips and other things that we do so obc does not go as far as it used to.

3 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

I purchased 100 shares @ $9.85 and with my $250 SOBC I’ve essentially doubled my money.  I’m happy, and I’ll be happier when I have a cocktail in hand and looking at waves. 

Lol  I bought at 9.85 too...  will see u on our sept 30 cruise!