another data breach? My.silversea reveals random peoples details - and different each time I log in!

les37b

34 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I'm going to be mortified if it becomes public knowledge that I ask my Butler for a stuffed animal for bedtime.

It wasn't, but.................. 🤣

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

We now await the update from Silversea on what happened and what data has been exposed 

I wouldn’t hold my breath, after the 2021 data breach BM promised to give details of what exactly occurred. Guess what, nothing!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Indeed - about the only thing I don't know about the woman on my profile is her blood type.  Site is still up...

This entire episode may add a new twist to future passenger meet & greets - “Oh yes, you’re the one who asks for extra chocolates “for your teddy bear.”  How are you going to manage renewing your passport (so sorry, but noticed that it’s expiring soon) in between all those voyages you have booked next year?”

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

According to our SS Rep, yesterday was not a data breach - it was a "system glitch".  Believe that and I've got a bridge to sell to you...

In other words, no nefarious outsiders caused it – just internal incompetence.  Which is worse???

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

In other words, no nefarious outsiders caused it – just internal incompetence.  Which is worse???

I'd say nefarious outsiders are worse, because they are breaking in for a purpose: to obtain private personal and financial information that they are going to either use or sell.  Internal incompetence is bad, but with luck no actual information was pirated or obtained by any hackers or criminals. 

Yes, some SS passengers information was made available to those of us who had my.silversea.com accounts.  But I'm pretty certain none of us who saw other SS passenger information is going to use it for any improper or illegal purpose. 

The hope is that SS was able to shut down access before anyone with ill intent was able to get into the system.

I'm not excusing the incompetency at all, and I believe and hope that SS takes it very seriously.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Which time are you referring to or both times? We never got to the bottom of the last time despite the promises AFAIK. Taking privacy and secrecy seriously seems to apply more to the company than guests whose info has been spilled. Both are incompetence, but obviously being hacked poses more worrying implications. I'd like to think past guests wouldn't exploit this leak, but assumptions are not wise. God knows how long it was open before I spotted it!

Like I added in a previous post, that response was akin to move along nothing to see, which I couldnt disagree with more. Its a date breach pure and simple and is reportable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveywavey70 said:

London Bridge? 

They have to report it to the appropriate authorities depending on relevant jurisdictions.  Hacking or not they have an obligation to protect personal info and report a breach IMHO.  

The data breach is very concerning, even if information was not visible to the general public. What is equally concerning is Silversea's attitude towards it. They do not seem to appreciate the seriousness of the breach. Today I received a marketing email from Silversea promoting cruises, but so far nothing on the data breach. They have time to market cruises, but not to inform their best clients of a data breach.

This lack of concern for sensitive data is not restricted to the Silversea website. Have you looked at your ship/room access card lately? It contains your passport number, your name, and your nationality. If you lose your card ashore, this kind of information would be very useful to someone who would like to steal your identity, and perhaps much more. Why does Silversea need to put our passport numbers on a ship/room access card?!! Shows a complete lack of concern for the security of their passengers.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

I agree totally, there is no reason at all to put a passport number on the room key card. 

Here’s one….

When the ships holding your passport to arrange immigration formalities but you need to complete an immigration form to return to the front desk 

I’m not saying it’s right but this situation arose with us on our last cruise. Doesn't worry me as I have a copy of my passport details stored on my phone anyway but it was the response I got from the front desk when I pointed out they held my passport so why would I need to add that detail to the form they wanted me to complete and sign 

9 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Here’s one….

When the ships holding your passport to arrange immigration formalities but you need to complete an immigration form to return to the front desk 

I’m not saying it’s right but this situation arose with us on our last cruise. Doesn't worry me as I have a copy of my passport details stored on my phone anyway but it was the response I got from the front desk when I pointed out they held my passport so why would I need to add that detail to the form they wanted me to complete and sign 

If necessary, which it is not, Silversea could provide passengers with a paper slip that remains in the cabin with the same information -- passport number, nationality, name. This information does not belong on a plastic card that must be taken off the ship every time a pax goes ashore. It unecessarily  jeopardizes the privacy of passengers.  And, as you say, anyone with a cell phone can safely store this type of information on their device and have it password protected.

• Like 1

I contacted SS about removing my data from their system, as the 'auto requesti' form on the website didn't work. I explained reason for the request. They replied saying ....

"The issue is being investigated internally and I am informed that the issue has been contained."

Doesn't sound like a system glitch to me 🤔

I sent an email to SS Guest Relations on Tuesday afternoon highlighting the exposure of people’s’ information. I got this email from them yesterday afternoon. We’ll see what I get back from the so-called privacy team. 

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for raising this issue to our attention.  The issue is being investigated internally and I am informed that the issue has been contained.  I have shared your email with my colleagues in the data privacy team who will come back to you as appropriate in due course.

Best regards,

Guest Relations Team

Silversea Cruises

18 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

sent an email to SS Guest Relations on Tuesday afternoon highlighting the exposure of people’s’ information. I got this email from them yesterday afternoon. We’ll see what I get back from the so-called privacy team. 

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for raising this issue to our attention.  The issue is being investigated internally and I am informed that the issue has been contained.  I have shared your email with my colleagues in the data privacy team who will come back to you as appropriate in due course.

Best regards,

Guest Relations Team

Silversea Cruises

Obviously a pro-forma email. That is exactly the same mail they sent to me? I just posted an extract.

Not impressed.

On 4/1/2023 at 1:32 PM, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Looks like they are all singing from the same song sheet.  The "system glitch" is now an "issue being investigated internally and has been contained".   Both are lines pulled from their corporate PR handbook to be used during this type of situation.

It genuinely doesn't matter.

The fact I could see other peoples personal details (and others obviously mine) that is a data breach by definition. Perhaps it needs to be investigated externally as I don't think they quite get it!