Why is nickel and diming a bad thing?

TheycallmeDrew

Several issues:

1 - people don't like to do math. They feel "nickel and dimed" when they see their folio bill at the end of the cruise. People also aren't great at budgeting

2 - it's harder to make an apples to apples comparison of cruise fares, when different extra amenities costs vary across cruise lines.

3 - people don't like to pony up add-on costs. When they sell something as "all-inclusive" and then discover there's something not included you would like to do: either you are privileged enough to pay for it without a second thought or you're not. If you're not that second thought takes away from the overall enjoyment of the cruise

4 - Research has shown over and over people often make illogical choices with how they spend their money

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Wouldn't that just be like exactly the same thing only different? 🤣

That would depend on how they actually add it to the fare.

Currently as a solo, I only pay a single DSC, even if I'm paying double (solo supplement).

3rd/4th person sails free - if fare is based on 2 people, the DSC would be less.

So on a 7 day cruise, a solo would, in theory, pay $140 more, a family of 4 would pay $280 less.

Plus whatever taxes/fees are involved - there has to be a reason that it's a separate charge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That would depend on how they actually add it to the fare.

Currently as a solo, I only pay a single DSC, even if I'm paying double (solo supplement).

3rd/4th person sails free - if fare is based on 2 people, the DSC would be less.

So on a 7 day cruise, a solo would, in theory, pay $140 more, a family of 4 would pay $280 less.

Plus whatever taxes/fees are involved - there has to be a reason that it's a separate charge.

Good point! 😎

11 minutes ago, carohs said:

Several issues:

1 - people don't like to do math. They feel "nickel and dimed" when they see their folio bill at the end of the cruise. People also aren't great at budgeting

2 - it's harder to make an apples to apples comparison of cruise fares, when different extra amenities costs vary across cruise lines.

3 - people don't like to pony up add-on costs. When they sell something as "all-inclusive" and then discover there's something not included you would like to do: either you are privileged enough to pay for it without a second thought or you're not. If you're not that second thought takes away from the overall enjoyment of the cruise

4 - Research has shown over and over people often make illogical choices with how they spend their money

1.  Yup, math and (especially) budgeting are unpopular but useful skills.

2.  True.  It requires a bit of effort and, again, the dreaded math skills.

3.  Agree that newbies could feel a bit tricked if they didn't read the fine print.  Reading, like math is a useful skill.  If you are not wealthy (or just frugal), that "second thought" when it comes to spending should be something you are used to rather than a shock.

4.  Definitely an emotional component to spending.  Sometimes justified and sometimes foolish. No judgement on that but I've been astonished at folks with very modest incomes who can't empty their pockets fast enough because they are "on vacation".  Have to hope they also like being "in debt".

I'm in the camp of those who do not feel nickled and dimed but would prefer to pay for things I want rather than be charged more for inclusions that I don't want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, julig22 said:

People already understand that 3rd/4th "free" doesn't mean that they pay nothing. NCL can just add a separate charge if they feel the need to. Or bundle it into the cruise fare for the 1st and 2nd guests, as they already do for most of the services that the 3rd and 4th guests get.

Perhaps I'm cheap, but I prefer the term frugal. There have been a number of cruises when we have received OBC and it always seems to be a rush at the end to use it up. Many times what others feel is important I wouldn't spend money on.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Years ago - I'm talking the '70s and possibly the '80s - cruising was a flat fee.  There was no breakdown of taxes, port charges, etc.  The only additional expense would be tips which were handed out on the last night to stewards and wait staff.  This was cash in envelopes.

I only remember that "someone" made a big stink about it, so the change was made to list each item separately on the invoice.  I say "someone" because I don't know if the change was made due to complaints from passengers or if a state or federal agency stepped in and forced the change.

This was also well before the internet.  One would go to a travel agent, book a cruise, pay the bill.

Personally I didn't mind the change in the way invoices are now handled.  I don't do the extras.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

1.  Yup, math and (especially) budgeting are unpopular but useful skills.

2.  True.  It requires a bit of effort and, again, the dreaded math skills.

3.  Agree that newbies could feel a bit tricked if they didn't read the fine print.  Reading, like math is a useful skill.  If you are not wealthy (or just frugal), that "second thought" when it comes to spending should be something you are used to rather than a shock.

4.  Definitely an emotional component to spending.  Sometimes justified and sometimes foolish. No judgement on that but I've been astonished at folks with very modest incomes who can't empty their pockets fast enough because they are "on vacation".  Have to hope they also like being "in debt".

I'm in the camp of those who do not feel nickled and dimed but would prefer to pay for things I want rather than be charged more for inclusions that I don't want.

Well stated!!!

• Like 4

I suppose some could feel "nickel and dimed" when the fare being shown is $899 for a balcony per person, but by the time you've paid your port fees/taxes, gratuities on the Free at Sea perks, added airfare, and insurance, the price totals just over $3,000. Like, how does that happen? Most of us understand, but I get someone who "thinks" cruising is all-inclusive being bewildered that the price isn't $1,798 total.

Then, after you book, you encounter upgrades for WiFi, premium plus, specialty dining, Vibe, thermal suite, etc....and then when onboard you have to pay for go-karts, laser tag, arcade games, etc...

So, I suppose that could be called "nickel and diming," but it sounds like someone didn't look at their folio before paying (and got upset later), then decided they had to have better internet, great booze, just two more specialty dining opportunities, and the kids just had to have a go-kart ride and a shot at laser tag.

All choices. None of them forced on the consumer by NCL. I suppose an all-inclusive fare could be created, so that the $899 sticker becomes $3,273.18 per person. How many consumers would run away from that price? And rightfully so as most of us don't need a few of the options I mentioned above.

That math thing @carohs mentioned.

Having said that, I do remember being a new cruiser (I think I'm probably still a new cruiser) last April being upset Free at Sea didn't include unlimited specialty dining, unlimited WiFi, and actual free excursions. I do blame NCL's marketing, but also should have done more homework before booking. That's where joining Cruise Critic came in. I have learned a lot here from you all!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeyetlse said:

People already understand that 3rd/4th "free" doesn't mean that they pay nothing. NCL can just add a separate charge if they feel the need to. Or bundle it into the cruise fare for the 1st and 2nd guests, as they already do for most of the services that the 3rd and 4th guests get.

LOL.  Kinda the point of the original comment.  It's not a simple task to simply bundle it into the cruise fare without affecting the fare differently.

Of course NCL can just add a separate charge - just like they currently do. And people would complain, just like they currently do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I buy the drink package in advance, and beyond that I spend almost nothing on a cruise. I have zero desire to buy "things" in overpriced shops. Sometimes something will have a small charge attached; in such cases I just spend the ten bucks and have it over with. I've had about 10 cruises on various lines and I've never been nickeled and dimed.

I know some people might be upset about a room service charge. I've almost never used it when it was free, and would much rather it be charged a la carte than priced in the cruise fare. Same for a lot of other things.

• Like 2

I think part of it is the beverage package is free but the gratuities is pretty heavy they limit what is covered,  bars are slow that is what I feel is the issue.  Paying for priority vs just improving the overall service, like the express/toll lanes on the highway.

50 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I think part of it is the beverage package is free but the gratuities is pretty heavy they limit what is covered,  bars are slow that is what I feel is the issue.  Paying for priority vs just improving the overall service, like the express/toll lanes on the highway.

$21 a day is not a pretty heavy gratuity to me and $15 limit is more than enough for any cocktail I drink. On my February Joy cruise, which had 4300+ on board, the longest I waiting for a drink was well less than 5 minutes.  I have waited longer sitting at a restaurant on land to get a cocktail.  Relax...it's vacation...a few minutes here and there shouldn't make a big difference in your enjoyment.  

22 hours ago, complawyer said:

if you dont want to be nickel and dimed, dont buy  the nickel and dime stuff.

i think, what i get when i book a cruise/cabin with ncl,is reasonable for the price i'm paying.  no more/no less

if i think something  falls under the nickel/dime category, and i dont feel it's necessary, i dont buy it. 

only product  that annoys be for paying extra is a "can" of soda. im addicted to cola (prefer pepsi, but those ncl days are gone, so im stuck with coke) for $3.00 per can.

in all my posts, i seem to write like an ncl cheerleader. that's not totally correct, but for 13 years of cruising with them, and 24 cruises, (I dont know, maybe i'm just lucky, or have low expectations) i have found very little to complain about (other than soggy hamburger buns)

the only actual disappointment we ever really had was the inaugural southeast asia cruise from hong kong to singapore. When we got on the ship we were advised that there were mechanical problems and we couldnt get to some ports.  Taipei, hanoi and cambodia. As a vet, i wanted to see hanoi. In exchange for the missed ports, ncl offered the following: full refund, but we were already in hong kong and booked into a hotel in singapore 2 weeks later, so that wasnt an option, or, a refund of 1/2 the price of the cruise we were on, and 1/2 off any future cruise.

we were in a suite with my wife and grandson, and my sister in law and her husband were in the adjoining suite, so to accept this offer was a no brainer.

say what  you will about nickel and dimes, ncl (imho) really stepped up to the plate to fix this one.

We got on board the Star a couple of weeks after you.  The propulsion problem that hobbled the ship to about half speed had been a fact of life on the Star for about two months by the time we boarded in Sydney.  NCL had offered varying amounts of compensation to passengers on each of the several cruises affected.  That led to some carping about "They got X but we only got Y."  By the time they got to us, NCL had pretty much rolled over and realized that the problem wasn't going to be fixed anytime soon, so they started notifying passengers weeks in advance of the problems and NCL's compensation offers.  That led lots of folks to take the money and run.  We decided to stick with it, and were on board when BOTH propellers stopped turning in the middle of the Tasman Sea.  The long and the short of it is that, in effect, NCL paid us to take our B2B cruise.  We got a 100% refund on one leg of the trip, 50% refund on the other, plus future cruise credit of about 50% of the total.  While we were in Melbourne for our extended stay as they finally repaired the Azipods, the Cruise Director found a Broadway style show performing in Melbourne that had a night off.  He hired them to come on board for an unexpected extra show in the Star theater.  Overall, it was our best and worst experience with NCL.  They really knocked themselves out trying to make things right.

• Like 2

god bless the ncl star. this was the exact same problem we faced in our southeast asia cruise (hong kong to singapore) 2016-2017.

like you , we took the benefits offered and stayed on t he cruise. we were on the star a few months ago, and guess what? no problems. so lets just call the star and oldie but goodie and accept her as is

10 minutes ago, complawyer said:

god bless the ncl star. this was the exact same problem we faced in our southeast asia cruise (hong kong to singapore) 2016-2017.

like you , we took the benefits offered and stayed on t he cruise. we were on the star a few months ago, and guess what? no problems. so lets just call the star and oldie but goodie and accept her as is

I realize we're getting off topic here.  The Star may be an oldie, but I'd be hard pressed to call her a goodie.  The Star still holds the NCL record for the most cruises cancelled and the most days of cruising missed or ports of call skipped/delayed/rescheduled due to mechanical problems.  In fact, the Star has amassed more out-of-service days or days delayed by propulsion problems than the whole rest of the current NCL fleet combined.  Fortunately, most all of those delays occurred prior to February 2017 when her Azipods were finally repaired, but still...

• Like 1

again, we were on the star last oct/nov and thankfully no problems and the entire cruise went smooth as silk.

our respective posts go back years, even as far back as "ask and answered" on specific ships.

by and large, i felt that your answered were well thought out, informative and extremely helpful/useful

while i shudder slightly, when i see an itinerary i like, offered on the star, i book anyway and hope for the best.  yes, i missed seeing hanoi and taipei, major disappointment, but all in all not a bad cruise.

fortunately, although, of course i  get disappointed if a port i wanted to visit gets canceled, ive stated before, that im on a cruise ship, and the sheer joy/fun of sailing, eating, drinking and of course just relaxing in that type of atmosphere. compensates. maybe not 100% or even 50%, but i've had worse things happen in my life than a few missed ports

• Like 1

We're mostly veteran NCL cruisers so we kind of know where the "hidden" fees are.  And they're not really hidden, though NCL could be clearer with their pricing.

Something like DSC, which virtually everyone pays, is one charge that I wish were rolled into the base fare.  It would provide clearer pricing, eliminate administrative headaches for the Guest Services crew no longer dealing with people looking to have the charge reduced/removed, and would result in some additional revenue for NCL.  I personally choose to prepay it but for inexperienced travelers, it could be a bit of a sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

Other perks are just confusing.  Bar package is $119/day, except nobody pays that.  So why not call it what it is -- $22/day.  It's still a great value and anyone who drinks would benefit from it.  That also makes it easier for guests to add it on later if needed.  

Other pricing is a result of marketing gimmicks, like the perennial 50% off/2 for 1 sales.  And hey, we see people on here occasionally thinking they're getting a time sensitive deal so I guess it works but just another pet peeve.