My SO’s Guam Birth Certificate says CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH

TimsGirly

Help, please!

I know. I know. Call Carnival but I did and they said a Guam birth certificate will be fine so we were good. But today when we pulled it out today, it has a seal and everything but says CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH on it. 

I saw elsewhere that DC birth certificates won’t work because of the CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH on it. He has two birth certificates and they say the exact same thing. Ones old and ones new. 

Yes. I know. Passport. He renewed his license and is waiting on it to be delivered. Estimate of 2-3 months. We cruise in September. There’s no way to get his license and then apply for the passport. He will get one after this cruise. 

14 minutes ago, TimsGirly said:

Help, please!

I know. I know. Call Carnival but I did and they said a Guam birth certificate will be fine so we were good. But today when we pulled it out today, it has a seal and everything but says CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH on it. 

I saw elsewhere that DC birth certificates won’t work because of the CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH on it. He has two birth certificates and they say the exact same thing. Ones old and ones new. 

Yes. I know. Passport. He renewed his license and is waiting on it to be delivered. Estimate of 2-3 months. We cruise in September. There’s no way to get his license and then apply for the passport. He will get one after this cruise. 

Don't all births certificates say "Certificate of Live Birth"?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TimsGirly said:

Help, please!

Certificates of Live Birth and Birth Certificates are not the same. The first is the hospital certificate which is not accepted. DC does have Birth Certificates. When I google Guam Birth certificate I get this page. 

http://www.govguamdocs.com/dphss/docs/VitalStatistics/ApplicationforCopyofBirthMarriageDeathCertificate.pdf 

So it appears that Guam does have birth certificates. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Certificates of Live Birth are what hospitals issue. They are not official Birth Certificates. They are not acceptable documentation. 

I just looked at my son's official Birth Certificate and it says Certificate of Live Birth.  It's from Arizona so maybe it varies by state?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Certificates of Live Birth and Birth Certificates are not the same. The first is the hospital certificate which is not accepted. DC does have Birth Certificates. When I google Guam Birth certificate I get this page. 

http://www.govguamdocs.com/dphss/docs/VitalStatistics/ApplicationforCopyofBirthMarriageDeathCertificate.pdf 

The Certificate Of Live Birth is what we got when we ordered his birth certificate. His mom has his fancy hospital record with his feet prints but that is more for show than anything. 

1 hour ago, TimsGirly said:

Help, please!

Order an expediated passport and it will get there in time.

• Thanks 1

I just cruised with all 4 kids in Feb & my oldest again this month all on BCs. I’m not going to pull them all out, but I have a copy of my daughter’s in front of me & it says “Certificate of Live Birth”. She used it on 2 cruises in the past 30 days as well as like 6 others before so…

We are in NY.

• Thanks 1

In the end it is not a question of what the document is called but rather who issued the document. They are looking for a government issued document recognizing the birth. As others have noted, the general rule (I don't know of any exceptions but that doesn't mean there aren't any) is that hospitals issue certificates of live birth while states issue birth certificates. But if some state decided to call it's certificate "Certificate of Existence of Oxygen Sucking, Carbon Dioxide Producing Parasite on Mother Earth" it would do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I have three documents that attest to my birth.  The one my parents got when I was born says Notification of Birth Registration.  It has the most info on it but it does say that it is not a birth certificate but can be used as such.  It got me my first passport and into the army twice.  When I was getting ready to apply for social security I decided to get an official birth certificate.  What came was the short form, just name and date of birth, and it is titles Certification of Birth.  I later got the long form, which is the same except it includes parents names.  EM

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TimsGirly said:

The Certificate Of Live Birth is what we got when we ordered his birth certificate. His mom has his fancy hospital record with his feet prints but that is more for show than anything. 

If it is a government issued birth record then it is an official birth certificate. Don’t worry about the wording on it. The ones that are not accepted are the ones issued by hospitals. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Certificates of Live Birth are what hospitals issue. They are not official Birth Certificates. They are not acceptable documentation. 

Wrong!  A certificate of Live birth IS the official certificate.  Our oldest son has one from the US state department (he was born overseas) and it says exactly that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TimsGirly said:

I just looked and Vermont and Rhode Island birth certificates both have the phrase "certificate of live birth". The key is who issues the certificate- issued by the hospital = no, issued by a government entity= yes. Sounds like he is good to go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Order an expediated passport and it will get there in time.

One of my sons just received his first passport and it took 7 weeks with normal processing so if he does decide to get a passport he should just order it (and keep a copy of his birth certificate just in case).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

No, this is not true most birth certificates do say, "Certificate of Live Birth."  I have worked in the school system for many years and have viewed birth certificates from all over the world. The Key issue is whether are not it is issued by a proper government agency. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

This is what the top of his birth certificate says and the office state seal. 

https://imgur.com/a/6s29roJ

7EB5D5F6-4E0E-4B45-86B3-3040616FB8C8.jpeg

B0BABA9D-7C91-4921-8CA4-E4FE238E678F.jpeg

If it is a government-issued official document, it is fine regardless of what it is called. The issue is when it is merely a "memorabilia" type "certificate" from a hospital and not an official document.  Doesn't matter what it is called.   

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, crazyank said:

Wrong!  A certificate of Live birth IS the official certificate.  Our oldest son has one from the US state department (he was born overseas) and it says exactly that.

That's a consular report of birth abroad and is a different document (though also valid for cruising)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1