P&O Arvia K307 - Not the experience we were expecting

gary_w

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I seem to remember it started 7am at Quays. I think 6.30am in the buffet. Not sure when they both closed but I reckon they were both open til 10am ish at least. Possibly later. 

Thanks. It’s probably the closing time I’m particularly keen to know. 10am may be a bit early for one of our daughters 😂 . Can I ask, do the staff plate everything up for you? In other words, you queue, ask for what you want and then are handed a plate which you take to a table? If so, sounds like a good half way house between the MDR and the buffet. 

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks. It’s probably the closing time I’m particularly keen to know. 10am may be a bit early for one of our daughters 😂 . Can I ask, do the staff plate everything up for you? In other words, you queue, ask for what you want and then are handed a plate which you take to a table? If so, sounds like a good half way house between the MDR and the buffet. 

Yes. Very quickly as well.

Never had to queue hardly at all for anything. Apart from if you wait for omelettes or poached eggs

And round the corner some buffet options for breakfast as well

You might find they close later. 

We were long gone by then!!

Lol

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Nice for a quick meal or breakfast but not  for elegant dining. 

Yes 

It was a fun place to eat though. Especially if pushed for time. Good vibe in there

I don't class the MDRs as elegant dining. More like set menu table d"hote dining  in a decent seaside hotel

Epicurean and Limelight and Mizhuana could claim elegant dining IMO. Maybe Sindhu.

I used to class Guesthouse as elegant dining but not this time. It's just become tapas now. Still different enough to try though. 

The black rock sizzling steak and prawns in Beach House also fun and worth a night out.

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I don't class the MDRs as elegant dining. More like set menu table d"hote dining  in a decent seaside hotel

Epicurean and Limelight and Mizhuana could claim elegant dining IMO. Maybe Sindhu.

I agree that MDR meals are not so good now. But at least you get service. Anywhere with service is good for us. 

Just now, Gettingwarmer said:

I agree that MDR meals are not so good now. But at least you get service. Anywhere with service is good for us. 

Well you could add Olive Grove then and Green and Co. That I've only heard rave reviews about. But haven't tried yet. Don't think you could add 6th street diner even with table service included. 

But that's a fun place for sure 

45 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh dear, I wasn't aware of that and as a lover of all things Italian had hoped to dine there on several occasions.  

im not sure I would class it as Italian to be honest. It seems to have a lot from different countries to me. 

The menu for you. This is on Iona. No idea if it’s the same as Arvia. 
We upgraded to paella for £4.50 and the baklava for £2. We both really enjoyed the paella. I did have the lasagna earlier in the weeks and it was terrible. Hubby loved the baklava. Kids had the chicken and the pizza and we all tasted some and enjoyed them. So the free bit is doable. 

E4FEA45D-6326-48D2-85CF-36BB3B5F19AC.png

AAD0D059-A1C9-40AC-9644-790C00A7F942.png

Edited by Vampiress88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

im not sure I would class it as Italian to be honest. It seems to have a lot from different countries to me. 

The menu for you. 
We upgraded to paella for £4.50 and the baklava for £2. We both really enjoyed the paella. I did have the lasagna earlier in the weeks and it was terrible. Hubby loved the baklava. Kids had the chicken and the pizza and we all tasted some and enjoyed them. So the free bit is doable. 

E4FEA45D-6326-48D2-85CF-36BB3B5F19AC.png

AAD0D059-A1C9-40AC-9644-790C00A7F942.png

Thank you.  Well the Sicilian Lemon Tart is at least Italian!!! I'd better stock up on treats in La Spezia or rob the Bocelli Estate when I go on my tour there!  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you.  Well the Sicilian Lemon Tart is at least Italian!!! I'd better stock up on treats in La Spezia or rob the Bocelli Estate when I go on my tour there!  

The Sicilian tart was nice

Antipastil followed by carbonara starter gets you almost there 

Pizza would but some of those other mains appeal more

Cant remember what I had for main in there now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Completely free on Arvia

Different to Iona. It's like an MDR in that respect. Speciality without extra charges.  We enjoyed it in there

If you ever want to dine at 6pm I think you will be able to book sold out restaurants with the managers a day or two before if you ask. As I said to Megabear. Worked for us when we aksed

No 6pm far too early for us

• Like 1

Having a set time to eat doesn’t really bother me. It’s the sitting with random people that I just cannot do hence the reason we like freedom dinning. We went on MSC this year and both cruises they sat us with a table of 8 in the MDR and both cruises we refused to go there so had to buffer it. 

But if any of you ever met my youngest you’d understand why. 
she got talking with a couple on the table next to us on iona last year. Half way through the conversation and she asked them what their room number is. They asked why. It’s so that we can come visit you later in the week. I do wonder about that one sometimes. 

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Unfortunately ICF, our original correspondent Gary informs us these are also unavailable due to the length of queues and bookings made before sailing.

I meant to ask you, is there the fish 'n chip place on Arvia the same as there is on Iona?  I understand that is extremely popular.

Like all the pre booking systems on the app, the experience is only as good as those using it. Possibly the main reason for its failure could be the software programme, on our first Iona cruise it was showing as fully booked, although it did pop up occasionally on the virtual queue, which I did book one night. We were ready about 6:30 so we joined the queue, and immediately our table was ready, it was fairly empty when we arrived, and still only just over half full as we left about 75  minutes later.  I can only surmise that a lot of early bookers decided not to go, but never cancelled the booking.

On our most recent cruise in Feb, we pre booked for 2 nights and each time it was fairly full, maybe Moley is correct and passengers are beginning to learn how to use the app., and the restaurant was still managing to accept some walk ins, even if they had to wait up to 30 minutes for a table.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2

I can confirm the Olive Grove menus are different. Iona's has 27 items of which 6 are chargeable. Arvia has 17 items with none chargeable. However Arvia's menu is marked menu A so there might be a menu B.

I think the full english breakfast option in the Quays on Iona was self service but the other two were behind glass so plated for you.

Arvias 6th Street diner looks to be free with 2 menus plus all day breakfast and waffles

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I can confirm the Olive Grove menus are different. Iona's has 27 items of which 6 are chargeable. Arvia has 17 items with none chargeable. However Arvia's menu is marked menu A so there might be a menu B.

I think the full english breakfast option in the Quays on Iona was self service but the other two were behind glass so plated for you.

Arvias 6th Street diner looks to be free with 2 menus plus all day breakfast and waffles

On Arvia we found the Olive Grove menu B to be limited; we would have had more choice on menu A, but didn't dine there when it was on.

We didn't have breakfast in The Quays on Arvia, so cannot comment.

The 6th Street Diner is indeed free; it opens at 10:00 for breakfast/brunch. We only dined there once, for breakfast.

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

Yes you are correct full English was self service. 

19 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

Just to put a stick in an ants nest....how long do we think it'll be before the buffet and MDR disappear completely on cruise ships? 

I've not sailed on Virgin, but don't believe they have them.

Correct they don’t have MDRs, our friends who have been on 2 cruises with them, said the food in the multiple dining options was amazing, I think they said there were around 20 different places to eat all included in the price.

We are currently looking at them for 2024. 

22 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

So are you suggesting  we should all boycott cruises?

And pay more to stay in Hotels ?

I thought you were a cruiser?

What's the point you are making?

Never said anything about boycotting cruises, just pointing out you can’t compare cruises cabin prices with land based hotels as the latter have overheads that cruise ships don’t have especially ion the employment side and if they were required to provide the same T&Cs as land based hospitality then cruise prices would be much higher. 

7 hours ago, TigerB said:

On Arvia we found the Olive Grove menu B to be limited; we would have had more choice on menu A, but didn't dine there when it was on.

We didn't have breakfast in The Quays on Arvia, so cannot comment.

The 6th Street Diner is indeed free; it opens at 10:00 for breakfast/brunch. We only dined there once, for breakfast.

Thanks for confirming that there is a menu B. I have 2 bookings so will have to confirm onboard that I am not getting the same menu each time. Did menu B have pizza? menu A did not.

Wow, a day at sea and this topic has blown up! (I'm not sure anyone on the original subject will still be reading by this point)

A quick bit of clarity, this isn't just about the Main Dining Room although that is the focal point.  On this ship, this cruise, it is everything with a queue.

I've also learnt a few things

• Talking to families with small kids, they are very happy because while they turn away couples, they "can fit in" the family and kids which is frustrating.
  • Talking to other families though the problem is extending to the kids club, there are 1000+ kids and 400 places in kids club.  It is a lottery to the parents if they have the evening to themselves so they may or may not use their booking, compounding the problem.
  • We've spoken to one couple that said "this ship is full of people complaining", but we've spoken to 8 couples in the last day or so that said this is their first cruise and with queues like this they won't do it again.  We've been telling them, chalk this up as a bad one and try again.

They now let you wait for a table in the MDR if you want to

• It's 50/50 whether there is anyone checking you in at shows anymore because they aren't full,  Broadies and the clubhouse that both have entertainment but no booking are always full and hopping.  My impression is people are boycotting the shows in favour of venues that they didn't have to book and where you can put your glass down. (No cupholders any more in the main theatre 😞 )

I hope this helps.  

I will repeat, book early, book often

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:42 PM, Megabear2 said:

Mizuhana and Green & Co are also very specialized and maybe don't appeal to quite a lot of the passengers, plant based and sushi might be nice once a week as a treat but i suspect probably not to many people's tastes every night.   

But isn't that what you would expect from a speciality restaurant?

Once a week or more likely once a fortnight

These places aren't designed or planned to be every night dining?

25 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Where exactly are the queues on board Gary?

You've kind of lost me with your last post?

They are all over, MDR yesterday was down to a good old fashioned dine anytime type wait (15-20 minutes) but we were listening to people in Broadies complaining that they'd been on virtual queues for an hour for some of the other places.  The show has a queue if they are checking bookings.  It is one line for the booked, one line for the just walking up.  If they can't be bothered to check it is walk right in.

To be fair, the queues are easing as we continue to travel but I think that is more to do with the passengers making do than the ship accommodating.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gary_w said:

They are all over, MDR yesterday was down to a good old fashioned dine anytime type wait (15-20 minutes) but we were listening to people in Broadies complaining that they'd been on virtual queues for an hour for some of the other places.  The show has a queue if they are checking bookings.  It is one line for the booked, one line for the just walking up.  If they can't be bothered to check it is walk right in.

To be fair, the queues are easing as we continue to travel but I think that is more to do with the passengers making do than the ship accommodating.  

So you are counting virtual queues as queuing?

I thought that might be the case

I personally count that as drinking cocktail time!

Way better than the old days when you physically had to queue

And these so called queues at the theatre to check you in?

Be honest they are 30 seconds or a couple of minutes at the most! I've been there, seen it, bought the t-shirt. Not even worth mentioning tbh

Way better than having to arrive at theatres 30 minutes early

I really do sympathise with kids clubs being full for the people with kids. That's not good

But people worrying about virtual queuing times now shows how much cruising has actually improved

All they have to do is join a virtual queue earlier if it's genuinely upsetting them

Your post above about queues everywhere didn't ring true. And now you've  just explained why!

When you were talking about  queues everywhere you were misleading people above IMO

Queues do occur outside Limelight Club still as best seats  are allocated on first come first served basis

If they changed booking limelight to best seats being  allocated  via the app as people book rather than arrive at venue they  could  make that a virtual queue as well.  

11 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Nice for a quick meal or breakfast but not  for elegant dining. 

I’m not sure that elegant dining is a ‘thing’ these days. It was one of the big attractions for us with the old P&O, but it’s not, I think, what the P&O target market wants.

• Like 2