Pricing question

Sheep Flavour

Hello all,

how are you?

Can I start by saying this is not a moan or complaint about prices going up or down once you book, you find a price you like and you pay it no issue with that.

But there is a Fjords cruise leaving end of April and I have paid £1449 for 2 people for an inside cabin. The price for a balcony is now £1298 for the same cruise. I am guessing there is no point in me asking if I can upgrade to the balcony now or getting a reduced fee if I want to upgrade cabin?

I guess the only way to do it would be to pay the difference at the time of booking?

We’re in an unusual situation whereby when these cruises went on sale, there were still capacity restrictions resulting in say only 70% of cabins going on sale.

This restrictions are now gone, the additional capacity are on sale but this has pushed the price lower to fill cabins.

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

We’re in an unusual situation whereby when these cruises went on sale, there were still capacity restrictions resulting in say only 70% of cabins going on sale.

This restrictions are now gone, the additional capacity are on sale but this has pushed the price lower to fill cabins.

Yes but those of us who stood by the cruise lines (all of them not just P&O) are being very badly treated by them in favour of newcomers jumping in on the lower prices.  No matter how much OBC was thrown at the problem last year for bookings for the current and next seasons we have been soundly rodgered.

Problem is us old loyal customers are very wiley, we won't forget and get burned again.  When the new people tire of the same old itineraries on the shiney new ships (which I think is inevitable) it will be us picking up the pieces and no doubt still being taken for a ride.

Elephants live a long while and don't forget  so do I.  It really wouldn't hurt the cruise lines to let those trapped into bookings costing literally thousands more than they're selling them at now at least move cruises to something that doesn't have to cost more.

The cynic in me says the flexibility went back to the old system just because they knew 100% sailings were returning and they'd mined everyone's pockets very nicely, thank you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

If the capacity remains upto sailing a nice thing to do would be to upgrade the early bookers FOC when they board the ship

Reward them if you can

• Like 3

Maybe they could take a leaf out of Saga's book - just an observation

A certification

Our Cruise Price Promise

Book early for the top savings – up to 35%. And should we ever drop the price in the future, you'll get the value of the difference back.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes but those of us who stood by the cruise lines (all of them not just P&O) are being very badly treated by them in favour of newcomers jumping in on the lower prices.  No matter how much OBC was thrown at the problem last year for bookings for the current and next seasons we have been soundly rodgered.

Problem is us old loyal customers are very wiley, we won't forget and get burned again.  When the new people tire of the same old itineraries on the shiney new ships (which I think is inevitable) it will be us picking up the pieces and no doubt still being taken for a ride.

Elephants live a long while and don't forget  so do I.  It really wouldn't hurt the cruise lines to let those trapped into bookings costing literally thousands more than they're selling them at now at least move cruises to something that doesn't have to cost more.

The cynic in me says the flexibility went back to the old system just because they knew 100% sailings were returning and they'd mined everyone's pockets very nicely, thank you.

They will soon forget we had the same issue regarding pricing when under Carol Marlow there was big announcement about prices guaranteed  not being undercut but many failed to read the small print and got fingers burned. They said they would never cruise again with P&O again but returned. Similar during COVID when many said they would never cruise again after struggling and having to wait a long time some involving court action to get there money back. P&O cruiser's love to moan but they will still come running back and P&O know they will that is why they treat them like they do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Get that but those of us who booked at launch are now finding out that our recently paid for cruise price has dropped significantly, mine by £800 and no offer to refund the difference. 

So as a regular and loyal cruiser for more than 30 years with P&O it is clear that P&O do not regard it as unfair to drop prices after final payment date without making a refund gesture of even a FCC. Oh! of course they know exactly what they are doing as it locks in those of us who have paid, silly us.

Their interest now is sell it cheap and pile it high and those of us who like and pay for quality accommodation onboard are finding the whole experience diminishing rapidly.

So if we stay with P&O and this is highly doubtful beyond the already booked cruises, I would NOT recommend booking a cruise at launch and wait until final payment date for any cruise you are interested in has passed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Port out said:

Get that but those of us who booked at launch are now finding out that our recently paid for cruise price has dropped significantly, mine by £800 and no offer to refund the difference. 

So as a regular and loyal cruiser for more than 30 years with P&O it is clear that P&O do not regard it as unfair to drop prices after final payment date without making a refund gesture of even a FCC. Oh! of course they know exactly what they are doing as it locks in those of us who have paid, silly us.

Their interest now is sell it cheap and pile it high and those of us who like and pay for quality accommodation onboard are finding the whole experience diminishing rapidly.

So if we stay with P&O and this is highly doubtful beyond the already booked cruises, I would NOT recommend booking a cruise at launch and wait until final payment date for any cruise you are interested in has passed.

It can feel very annoying when prices are lowered late on to fill up empty cabins, but often the advertised prices are only for guarantee cabins where you have no choice in cabin location, and you could end up in a very undesirable location.  We normally have to book early to ensure we obtain an accessible cabin, and can never take advantage of last minute bargains, however for several years before covid, we benefitted because prices generally increased nearer to cruise date.

15 minutes ago, Port out said:

Our Britannia Caribbean is now £700 cheaper than when we booked, but with £220 less OBC. Net £480 lower. If we cancel and rebook we lose £477 deposit. No brainer, but we will continue checking occasionally up to final payment date. Perhaps we will cancel, perhaps not, but we won't be booking early again. Once bitten twice shy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

It can feel very annoying when prices are lowered late on to fill up empty cabins, but often the advertised prices are only for guarantee cabins where you have no choice in cabin location, and you could end up in a very undesirable location.  We normally have to book early to ensure we obtain an accessible cabin, and can never take advantage of last minute bargains, however for several years before covid, we benefitted because prices generally increased nearer to cruise date.

In my case the offer is for specific cabins, not guaranteed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arlowood said:

Maybe they could take a leaf out of Saga's book - just an observation

A certification

Our Cruise Price Promise

Book early for the top savings – up to 35%. And should we ever drop the price in the future, you'll get the value of the difference back.

But you don't actually get your money back, just a cabin upgrade or similar.  However Saga do not seem to drop prices after launch.

But hasn't this always been the case in the holiday industry ever since Thomas Cook was a lad?

How may times have you been away (land or sea) over the years to hear somebody boasting how little they paid for the same holiday that you are on?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Taking that to its logical conclusion then the original price was calculated to cover the costs at 70% capacity therefore when capacity was increased those cabins were already paid for so they should have been given away for free!!

I doubt that P&O is doing anything that all the other cruise lines are doing.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, david63 said:

Taking that to its logical conclusion then the original price was calculated to cover the costs at 70% capacity therefore when capacity was increased those cabins were already paid for so they should have been given away for free!!

I doubt that P&O is doing anything that all the other cruise lines are doing.

Easter eggs will be cheaper tomorrow

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We normally have to book early to ensure we obtain an accessible cabin, and can never take advantage of last minute bargains, however for several years before covid, we benefitted because prices generally increased nearer to cruise date.

Never say never, John.

After retiring last year, and not feeling the need yet to go back to work part-time, we have changed our cruise policy. We will book the so called 'bucket list' cruises, where it would be necessary to secure the right accessible cabin when the itinerary comes out, thus paying the going rate at the time and bemoaning the lower prices that other folk could take advantage of nearer to the sail date.  We will also look at last minute cruises as a potential filler. If there was nothing doing then so be it; we haven't lost anything and I certainly wouldn't have wasted any booked annual leave as I would have had if still in full time employment.

We tried out the latter yesterday when, through a post on another thread, I became aware of cheap deals for an Arvia cruise sailing next Sunday. I showed our lass and we consulted our calendar. When I made the call I really didn't expect there to be any accessible cabins left; there were five inside cabins left, two at £599pp and three at £649pp.  We chose the latter grade, not being concerned that it was a saver rate, as any of those three cabins would have been fine for us. Two hours later we were allocated the one we desired the most.

I don't know if we just fell lucky at the time, or maybe, with P&O potentially finding it difficult to sell all cabins on the two bigger ships in future, that it may happen again. I'm just glad that I made the call. Getting some saved OBC reassigned to the cruise, and getting the shareholder benefit after the 'cut off' date made the deal even sweeter.

So, what I'm trying to say is....if you have some free time, and think that it could be filled with a cruise, don't be put off by thinking they will never have a suitable cabin; pick up the phone.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Never say never, John.

After retiring last year, and not feeling the need yet to go back to work part-time, we have changed our cruise policy. We will book the so called 'bucket list' cruises, where it would be necessary to secure the right accessible cabin when the itinerary comes out, thus paying the going rate at the time and bemoaning the lower prices that other folk could take advantage of nearer to the sail date.  We will also look at last minute cruises as a potential filler. If there was nothing doing then so be it; we haven't lost anything and I certainly wouldn't have wasted any booked annual leave as I would have had if still in full time employment.

We tried out the latter yesterday when, through a post on another thread, I became aware of cheap deals for an Arvia cruise sailing next Sunday. I showed our lass and we consulted our calendar. When I made the call I really didn't expect there to be any accessible cabins left; there were five inside cabins left, two at £599pp and three at £649pp.  We chose the latter grade, not being concerned that it was a saver rate, as any of those three cabins would have been fine for us. Two hours later we were allocated the one we desired the most.

I don't know if we just fell lucky at the time, or maybe, with P&O potentially finding it difficult to sell all cabins on the two bigger ships in future, that it may happen again. I'm just glad that I made the call. Getting some saved OBC reassigned to the cruise, and getting the shareholder benefit after the 'cut off' date made the deal even sweeter.

So, what I'm trying to say is....if you have some free time, and think that it could be filled with a cruise, don't be put off by thinking they will never have a suitable cabin; pick up the phone.

But was it an accessible cabin, my DW could not cope with a standard bathroom, she needs a wheel in bathroom and the extra space that an accessible cabin provides for moving around the cabin in her wheelchair

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But was it an accessible cabin, my DW could not cope with a standard bathroom, she needs a wheel in bathroom and the extra space that an accessible cabin provides for moving around the cabin in her wheelchair

Yes, it was.  As I wrote, I was really surprised that they had five accessible cabins left this close to the sail date.

Of course, P&O have downgraded all their accessible inside cabins on Arvia and Iona to partially accessible cabins. That is more to do with them not being suitable for large wheelchairs and scooters, and a few of then supposedly having posts in the cabin.  That said, we had such a cabin for our January cruise on Arvia and, although we were only in it for one night, it was suitable for our lass and her wheelchair; her current travel wheelchair is 62cm wide.  Had we not been upgraded to a (fantastic) balcony cabin, we would have been more than happy with it for the fifteen nights.

You're probably already aware but, with the bathrooms being pre-built modular units, the wet rooms are the same size, regardless of whether they are in the smallest inside cabin or the largest balcony cabin.

The cabin we have been allocated for next weekend is a PC grade, and at 215m² is the same size as the PF grade we initially had  in January. Some photos appear below to give you an idea.

2.thumb.jpg.1113f3e741f6286de0ef902459e4203d.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.63c521ac7c442f97cb5a8cf9a8c28ac9.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.9179aaca94781491bde0927737c42f6c.jpg

17.thumb.JPG.435240fa9c2278425f37ad0ea0a455d0.JPG

18.thumb.JPG.1546c6da04242b26a9ec7152bc239ea4.JPG

19.thumb.JPG.383b532c6560e1894803dd6006d1225a.JPG

21.thumb.JPG.b97d49769ffa0e9d656db59e53cd4e18.JPG

22.thumb.jpg.8572e940ca5cf9c57ebb8bee7c1879d0.jpg

25.thumb.JPG.d4d64588a4dbbc6393a4eedb0639caae.JPG

26.thumb.JPG.b9d2660a99af9870668d2f1acdbd18ad.JPG

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Yes, it was.  As I wrote, I was really surprised that they had five accessible cabins left this close to the sail date.

Of course, P&O have downgraded all their accessible inside cabins on Arvia and Iona to partially accessible cabins. That is more to do with them not being suitable for large wheelchairs and scooters, and a few of then supposedly having posts in the cabin.  That said, we had such a cabin for our January cruise on Arvia and, although we were only in it for one night, it was suitable for our lass and her wheelchair; her current travel wheelchair is 62cm wide.  Had we not been upgraded to a (fantastic) balcony cabin, we would have been more than happy with it for the fifteen nights.

You're probably already aware but, with the bathrooms being pre-built modular units, the wet rooms are the same size, regardless of whether they are in the smallest inside cabin or the largest balcony cabin.

The cabin we have been allocated for next weekend is a PC grade, and at 215m² is the same size as the PF grade we initially had  in January. Some photos appear below to give you an idea.

2.thumb.jpg.1113f3e741f6286de0ef902459e4203d.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.63c521ac7c442f97cb5a8cf9a8c28ac9.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.9179aaca94781491bde0927737c42f6c.jpg

17.thumb.JPG.435240fa9c2278425f37ad0ea0a455d0.JPG

18.thumb.JPG.1546c6da04242b26a9ec7152bc239ea4.JPG

19.thumb.JPG.383b532c6560e1894803dd6006d1225a.JPG

21.thumb.JPG.b97d49769ffa0e9d656db59e53cd4e18.JPG

22.thumb.jpg.8572e940ca5cf9c57ebb8bee7c1879d0.jpg

25.thumb.JPG.d4d64588a4dbbc6393a4eedb0639caae.JPG

26.thumb.JPG.b9d2660a99af9870668d2f1acdbd18ad.JPG

Very useful photos TigerB, although I don't think we would want an inside cabin, do you know how that cabin would be set up as 2 single beds, would both beds be pushed up against the walls, or have a gap on both sides?

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Very useful photos TigerB, although I don't think we would want an inside cabin, do you know how that cabin would be set up as 2 single beds, would both beds be pushed up against the walls, or have a gap on both sides?

Ah, now that's the thing. Separating them would reduce the space at the sides, meaning that it would be impossible to get a wheelchair at the side of one of the beds.  Those bedside units are 45cm wide so, if the beds were separated and one of them put between them, it would mean that either the left side would be reduced to 35cm or the right side reduced to 21cm.  That would make things very difficult for a wheelchair user.

We always have the bed as a queen, so it wouldn't affect us.  That said, it wouldn't stop me going the the reception desk on the first day and asking about the possibility of an upgrade. #Yorkshire!😉

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Going by the photos couldn’t they just separate the beds, push the one on the right to the wall and then there would still be 66.5cm space but in the middle? Or am I being thick 

No. It means you can now confidently help the kids with their homework.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Going by the photos couldn’t they just separate the beds, push the one on the right to the wall and then there would still be 66.5cm space but in the middle? Or am I being thick 

You couldn't move the right bed to as far as the bathroom wall for several reasons. It would obstruct that vent at the back and the bathroom door; furthermore, the headboard is fixed to the wall.

There are several options.

(1) Move the left bed as far as it go, and put its bedside unit in the middle. That would mean there would be a gap of 35.5cm to the left, 45cm in the middle, and the gap at the right would still be 66.5cm.

(2) Move the right side of the bed to its right as far as it would go, and put its bedside unit in the middle. That would mean the gap to the left would still be 80.5cm, the gap in the middle would be 45cm, and the gap at the right would be reduced to 21.5cm.

(3) Separate both beds and move both bedside units into the middle. That would mean the gap to the left would be 35.5cm, the gap to the right would be 21.5cm, and the gap in the middle would be 90cm.  That would give enough space in the middle for a wheelchair user to transfer to either bed of their choosing.

Or, you could just leave them as a queen and enjoy some nightime spooning!😉🤭

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

No. It means you can now confidently help the kids with their homework.

Or Vampiress, the next time you are in a cocktail bar whilst in a virtual queue, and the kids are getting restless, give them pencils and paper, and ask them to reconfigure the furniture in cabins.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2