Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Where to buy medical coverage


Aubriee01
 Share

Recommended Posts

We can afford to lose the cost of the cruise, but would like to have medical insurance.  I am a diabetic and have a defibrillator/pacemaker, so have preexisting conditions.  My husband is in good health, other than high blood pressure.  I am afraid of having to go to a hospital or having to be evacuated back to the States.  Where can we get good travel medical insurance and how much would it cost for an about $8000.00 cruise (port is close enough to drive to).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone can give you the cost. Too many variables. There are several reputable online insurance brokers where you can compare policies. Insuremytrip is one,  squaremouth is another. There is also an entire forum on Cruise Critic devoted to insurance: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd call Steve at the Tripinsurancestore

 

I just put the trip cost at $500 since I can absorb the cost of missing the cruise. I still get the $100K primary medical.

I put the trip cost at $500 because the insurance cost is the same whether you put $1 or $500. It increases at $501. At the $500 level, I still receive the 150% of trip cost in case I miss my flight home or something (trip delay or Trip interruption). I can catch a hotel and meals.

Edited by klfrodo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I'd call Steve at the Tripinsurancestore

 

I just put the trip cost at $500 since I can absorb the cost of missing the cruise. I still get the $100K primary medical.

I put the trip cost at $500 because the insurance cost is the same whether you put $1 or $500. It increases at $501. At the $500 level, I still receive the 150% of trip cost in case I miss my flight home or something (trip delay or Trip interruption). I can catch a hotel and meals.

Do you have a phone number for him?  Thanks for the info.  I'm mainly concerned about having preexisting conditions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Aubriee01 said:

Do you have a phone number for him?  Thanks for the info.  I'm mainly concerned about having preexisting conditions 

It is on the website

See post #2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Aubriee01 said:

Do you have a phone number for him?  Thanks for the info.  I'm mainly concerned about having preexisting conditions 

 

 

 

tis7.pngExpensive Trip? Call Steve, Deanna or Kim at 888-407-3854 or 816-282-6858, or email us for the right Travel Insurance advice 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Aubriee01 said:

 Thanks for the info.  I'm mainly concerned about having preexisting conditions 

That might be an issue then. Many plans require you to cover the entire cost of the trip (non-refundable costs) to waive any pre-existing medical conditions. Along with many (not all) require that you purchase the insurance within X (14 to 21) number of days of initial trip deposit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Aubriee01 said:

Do you have a phone number for him?  Thanks for the info.  I'm mainly concerned about having preexisting conditions 

Also look into “insure my trip.” Their search engine is the most robust among all the travel insurers. Top flight agents and no extra cost to you for quotes or services.

And do consider a comprehensive policy s just medical. Usually the cost is not that much more and your trip issues will be covered as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

I'd call Steve at the Tripinsurancestore

 

I just put the trip cost at $500 since I can absorb the cost of missing the cruise. I still get the $100K primary medical.

I put the trip cost at $500 because the insurance cost is the same whether you put $1 or $500. It increases at $501. At the $500 level, I still receive the 150% of trip cost in case I miss my flight home or something (trip delay or Trip interruption). I can catch a hotel and meals.

If your non-refundable trip costs are more than $500 and the policy you choose requires total trip coverage, you could have certain claims denied (e.g., most PEC waivers would require full trip cost coverage - some even including the reimbursable costs). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

That might be an issue then. Many plans require you to cover the entire cost of the trip (non-refundable costs) to waive any pre-existing medical conditions. Along with many (not all) require that you purchase the insurance within X (14 to 21) number of days of initial trip deposit. 

I need to get on the ball and find some insurance then.  We paid for the trip (in full), when we booked it April 7, 2023.  I'm not worried about the cost of the trip.  We could eat that cost.  I'm just concerned about any medical emergencies that might occur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Aubriee01 said:

I need to get on the ball and find some insurance then.  We paid for the trip (in full), when we booked it April 7, 2023.  I'm not worried about the cost of the trip.  We could eat that cost.  I'm just concerned about any medical emergencies that might occur.

You’re missing the point of my previous post regarding total trip coverage and things like PECs.

Call a broker- actually call two or three and let them interview you to determine what is in your best interests. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You’re missing the point of my previous post regarding total trip coverage and things like PECs.

Call a broker- actually call two or three and let them interview you to determine what is in your best interests. 

Not really.  I understood what you said about since I have preexisting conditions, that I would probably have to get coverage for the full price of the cruise, whether I wanted it or not.  I'm just not concerned about getting the cost of the cruise reimbursed.  If I have to pay for a full coverage insurance though in order to get medical coverage, so be it.  Thanks for your response.  Since it's Saturday evening, I will probably call Monday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aubriee01 said:

Not really.  I understood what you said about since I have preexisting conditions, that I would probably have to get coverage for the full price of the cruise, whether I wanted it or not.  I'm just not concerned about getting the cost of the cruise reimbursed.  If I have to pay for a full coverage insurance though in order to get medical coverage, so be it.  Thanks for your response.  Since it's Saturday evening, I will probably call Monday.

You should also have PreExisting Condition explained to you.  The insurance definition is vastly different than the healthcare one.

In travel insurance, there’s a “look back period” of several months (different policies gave different time spans). You can have a healthcare PEC that may not be an insurance PEC.

For insurance: if you have a new diagnosis or a change in an existing diagnosis (due to treatment, meds change, etc) during the “look back period,” that’s a PEC. However, if you have a long term healthcare PEC but no changes, events, etc. during the “look back period,” you do not have an insurance PEC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You should also have PreExisting Condition explained to you.  The insurance definition is vastly different than the healthcare one.

In travel insurance, there’s a “look back period” of several months (different policies gave different time spans). You can have a healthcare PEC that may not be an insurance PEC.

For insurance: if you have a new diagnosis or a change in an existing diagnosis (due to treatment, meds change, etc) during the “look back period,” that’s a PEC. However, if you have a long term healthcare PEC but no changes, events, etc. during the “look back period,” you do not have an insurance PEC.

Hmm, good to know.  I might get lucky then and not have to get a full coverage policy.  My cardiologist pretty much leaves my meds alone, but my endocrinologist changes my insulins every time I see her. Lol. 

Edited by Aubriee01
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aubriee01 said:

Not really.  I understood what you said about since I have preexisting conditions, that I would probably have to get coverage for the full price of the cruise, whether I wanted it or not.  I'm just not concerned about getting the cost of the cruise reimbursed.  If I have to pay for a full coverage insurance though in order to get medical coverage, so be it.  Thanks for your response.  Since it's Saturday evening, I will probably call Monday.

 

Or call tomorrow and leave a message; mention that you are concerned about the timing.  (Whether it is 10 or 20 days/etc., is usually state dependent.)

They often return calls on weekends.

They also can help with claims, if needed.

(We've purchased quite a few policies from them since learning about them here on CC almost 10 years ago.  And we've had several claims, including a few large ones.  All were paid promptly, which is the point, of course.)

 

GC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If your non-refundable trip costs are more than $500 and the policy you choose requires total trip coverage, you could have certain claims denied (e.g., most PEC waivers would require full trip cost coverage - some even including the reimbursable costs). 

Not the policy I purchase since I live in Washington. Already verified and I purchase thru Steve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Read any policy before you buy one.

 

Examine the record of the company with the BBB beforehand.

 

Don't take recommendations from people who only know how quickly the premiums are deposited.  Look at people who have attempted to make claims.

 

Travel insurance generally costs around 6% of the cost of the trip.

 

Be wary of recommendations from people with a financial interest in selling policies.

 

Understand the conditions on which you can collect.  Pay particular attention to requirements to get approval before getting treatment.
 

I'm considered the bad person here for pointing these things out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2023 at 4:21 PM, SPacificbound said:

Hi SPacificbound,

 

That's odd the URL includes "?doing_wp_cron=1681593642.5484719276428222656250".

 

The URL should be https://tripinsurancestore.com/

 

Steve Dasseos

 

 

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2023 at 4:51 PM, klfrodo said:

I'd call Steve at the Tripinsurancestore

 

I just put the trip cost at $500 since I can absorb the cost of missing the cruise. I still get the $100K primary medical.

I put the trip cost at $500 because the insurance cost is the same whether you put $1 or $500. It increases at $501. At the $500 level, I still receive the 150% of trip cost in case I miss my flight home or something (trip delay or Trip interruption). I can catch a hotel and meals.

Just spoke to Kim at Trip Insurance Store (Steve was busy).  Got medical insurance for both cruises. Very relieved I hadn't waited too late. 

 

Off Topic:  even though we haven't even left for our first cruise (January 13-27th, 2024), we decided to book another shorter cruise Sept 17-23rd, 2023, so had to buy insurance for two cruises.  We booked the January cruise exactly a week ago today and booked the Sept one two days ago.  Are we crazy?  lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...