LIVE from Radiance Apr. 21, 2023 - The Panama Canal - Canal au Niveau de la Mer

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

With my door propped open I am now getting a PHY rate of 52 Mbps down and 117 Mbps up. For a 20 Mhz channel that isn't terrible in the real world.  

Good advice.  

I haven’t been on a ship since Starlink, but often found internet horrible in some cabins pre-Starlink.  Times I was in a cabin between access points, I had to stand in the hall under an access point to get any internet. 

We’ve also used the shoe in the door trick to get a better signal.  Forget about trying it on the balcony.  Last cruise wifi was so bad, the VOOM guy turned off something on my IPhone that helped, but he didn’t show me what he did.  Thanks for posting that picture!

From the perspective of someone who does wifi for a living, they've made a mistake on Radiance.  

All the access points on the 2.4GHZ band are using channel 6 leaving channels 1 and 11 unused.   That's going to create a very congested RF spectrum with a lot of interference.  

RD2304-7.thumb.jpg.21b9b3764b903ded875743fd350e3010.jpg

The 5GHz band is configured better.

image.thumb.jpeg.619b60c6c893464fef640bc3ab12f521.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38fde437434fd92e6ff925e09fdac901.jpeg

The 5GHz band doesn't penetrate steel walls very well at all so this may explain why the user experience is better in open public areas where guests devices are more likely to connect to the 5GHz radios.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

From the perspective of someone who does wifi for a living, they've made a mistake on Radiance.  

All the access points on the 2.4GHZ band are using channel 6 leaving channels 1 and 11 unused.   That's going to create a very congested RF spectrum with a lot of interference.  

RD2304-7.thumb.jpg.21b9b3764b903ded875743fd350e3010.jpg

The 5GHz band is configured better.

image.thumb.jpeg.619b60c6c893464fef640bc3ab12f521.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.38fde437434fd92e6ff925e09fdac901.jpeg

The 5GHz band doesn't penetrate steel walls very well at all so this may explain why the user experience is better in open public areas where guests devices are more likely to connect to the 5GHz radios.

I thought the wifi on Voyager was worse than on other ships, including all the Radiance class ships.  The only way I got even the tiniest signal was when I was in the promenade. 

11 hours ago, twangster said:

Samba Grill had three guests tonight, and I was one of them. 

We were at Chops last night. Food and service was excellent.  About half full.  they said only 40 reservations last night, but over 100 for day 2.  

We were at Chops an 10:35 yesterday am and had no problem getting all the restaurants and times we wanted for our 10 nights.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, little britain said:

Then just turn up and say 2 are dining?  Why do you want refunding so you can 

pay a more expensive on board price ? 

It's not more expensive when one of the meals is free when using your Diamond Plus BOGO coupons.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0427fadd34b1b3773e0b940e86ac0ec3.jpeg

At one point a guest with a strong LED flashlight appeared and started shining their light all over.  This had to irritate the bridge who need to keep their night vision intact, especially in the northern Gulf with lots of small boat traffic.   

I'm hoping they don't close the helipad at night as a result.  It's the darkest part of the ship 🙂 

There'll probably be some nastygrams delivered to the forward cabins with the curtains open.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, twangster said:

Here in Schooner the wifi is using more than channel 6 so maybe that issue is contained to specific areas. 

Screenshot_20230422_084151_WiFiman.thumb.jpg.2bee6b93d1ecd9802721316b89401a7c.jpg

What app is that? Looks interesting. I would like to learn it. Is the learning curve tough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

It's not more expensive when one of the meals is free when using your Diamond Plus BOGO coupons.

The on board booking price is always more than the pre booking Planner price I find. Book one person; two have dinner. 

Edited by little britain