HAL 150th Year Ceremony in Rotterdam on 4/18/2023

Btimmer

Basically a poor representation, Antorcha is too new to talk about the past. They should have one the former great captains do that and they should have brought in all former living captains. Also, the old classic Grand Dame should have been involved, maybe showing people boarding in costumes from the the early 1960's. that would have been a spectacle, this was just a dud.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

Sir PMP - I agree with you. They should have had all the former living captains there. 

HAL certainly had enough time to plan for this in advance!

They seem to not be able to please "everyone" these days.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Basically a poor representation, Antorcha is too new to talk about the past. They should have one the former great captains do that and they should have brought in all former living captains. Also, the old classic Grand Dame should have been involved, maybe showing people boarding in costumes from the the early 1960's. that would have been a spectacle, this was just a dud.

QM2 has history panels around the ship, and one is about QE2. There's a great photo like that there. I don't recall when it was taken, probably toward her last days. All former living captains were there. 

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, mariner said:

I agree with Sir PMP. And after reviewing the "special" menu as posted by many aboard the world cruise it dawned on me. Why didn't they do the old Dutch Night menu? Would seem like a no-brainer.

That would have been perfect! I miss that special dinner.

It was touching. And amazing gift to us English speakers, since it was all conducted in English by primarily Dutch speaking company history notables.  

Loved the serpentine streamers at the end. May Holland America have many, many years ahead polishing the gem she has long been.

• Like 4