Taste of Taj X, Any Experinces?

This was available on the Equinox this past Feb.  It was held one day in Sushi on 5.
$40 pp including the gratuity.

It was not highly promoted, we had to inquire in advance.  Don't know if those who booked Sushi on 5 (for their reg. menu) were for-warned.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the OP who suggested the buffet for delicious Indian food. We did the Taste of Taj on Silhouette and it was underwhelming. However, we’re spoiled by an excellent Indian restaurant near our home.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Saw this on my cruise planner for the Silhoutte Dec 30, 2024 (way out, I know). No menu available. Haven't found much info about it on here. Someone mentioned it may be exclusive to Silhouette? Any comments on how the food/experience was would be appreciated. 

I didn't have time to add that if you go the active "Live" thread that I posted earlier, I believe some of the people posting are planning on attending the Taj X very soon.  You can certainly ask them.

17 hours ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Saw this on my cruise planner for the Silhoutte Dec 30, 2024 (way out, I know). No menu available. Haven't found much info about it on here. Someone mentioned it may be exclusive to Silhouette? Any comments on how the food/experience was would be appreciated. 

The last time we attended this, the food tasted quite similar to the Indian food on the buffet. I love Indian food but the local family owned restaurant that I frequent is 10 times better. For those that don't have access to quality Indian, you may enjoy the smells and flavors of this meal. The Naan and Roti were disappointing and without this to eat with, the rest of the meal was underwhelming. Just my personal opinion of this dining experience, I know others will disagree with me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this up but can anyone confirm if the Taj dinner is offered on the Solstice? It doesn’t look like it’s an offer on their current Alaska sailing but instead they have a special seafood lunch. Every review I look up references other S class ships but never the Solstice specifically. I’m wondering if this will be an option on the upcoming 17 night transpacific. If anyone has insight please let me know. 

Edited by tigervixxxen

We did it on Eclipse back in April and it was spoiled by extremely poor staffing and presentation. Some of the food flavours were excellent and the chefs had clearly put in a great deal of time an effort. However it was served in what was described on the menu as “family style” which simple meant that they brought everything out all at once. This was very poorly thought out because there simply wasn’t room for it all on our table for two. Worse still, it was served in cold dishes so the food went cold almost immediately which ruined it. There was no sommelier working in the restaurant and so once we had drunk our first glass of wine there were no staff to get us another because they were busy waiting tables. Overall it was a very disappointing experience. We were offered a free lunch the next day but we had plans so declined.

Experience on Celebrity has taught us that food, particularly soup, is often served lukewarm because it has been placed on a cold plate and we have learned to brief our waiters that we like our food hot and served on a hot plate but sadly, on that occasion, we forgot. The staff in Sushi seemed bemused by our lack of desire to eat the cold food and didn’t seem to understand the principle of not serving hot food in cold dishes. It’s particularly ironic because plates for salad in Ocean View are often very hot because they are constantly put out for use direct from the dishwasher. 

• Thanks 1

From what I can determine this is only currently (as in currently sailing) offered on the Eclipse and Silhouette. I was on the Equinox over the holidays and it was offered there then but I was too late to book it because it was a darn secret. I was holding out hope this would be offered on my upcoming 17 night sailing on the Solstice but I have yet to see any evidence that it’s ever been offered on the ship. They currently do a specialty Alaskan Seafood lunch which I figured wouldn’t be applicable to my transpacific but that’s where the logic ends. I basically know to have expectations of varying quality but was hoping to have this option as my husband would do it and we need a break from the MDR. We do have a Tuscan and Murano night booked but we are not repeating there.

On 7/16/2023 at 1:42 AM, tigervixxxen said:

Sorry to bump this up but can anyone confirm if the Taj dinner is offered on the Solstice? It doesn’t look like it’s an offer on their current Alaska sailing but instead they have a special seafood lunch. Every review I look up references other S class ships but never the Solstice specifically. I’m wondering if this will be an option on the upcoming 17 night transpacific. If anyone has insight please let me know. 

How soon is your cruise?  It’s advertised 5-6 months ahead on Millennium.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:50 PM, Stem to Stern said:

Menu in this thread from days gone by….

“Taj X” Indian pop up dinner — exceptional!
I can’t figure out how to share the link to the thread.

Need more coffee.

15BB15EB-15A7-4CDD-ABE8-EA01E9E9D45D.jpeg.d1c13312709f94e38a9bdecbd5f97985.jpeg

We did the Taj X dinner one cruise, I thought it was amazing! We have travelled to India a few times and often have curry/indian cuisine at home. I thought this was really authentic tasting, the lamb was so tender and the butter chicken was so good. I complemented the chef on the whole meal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

How soon is your cruise?  It’s advertised 5-6 months ahead on Millennium.

October 1. So all the evidence adds up it’s not likely to be offered on the Solstice. 

Edited by tigervixxxen

I posted live from the Silhouette in December 2021 about this dinner, see link below.  It was a fabulous experience that I would happily do again. Yes, there is good Indian food in the buffet, but this was a whole different experience than the buffet, as you’ll see from my comments in the thread below. 

I see it advertised on Eclipse Dec 23.  But I can’t book it.  I just booked other reservations.

And my friend said the food is spicy.  Duh.  Is it family style or can they accommodate requests for less heat?

On 7/19/2023 at 1:40 PM, zitsky said:

I see it advertised on Eclipse Dec 23.  But I can’t book it.  I just booked other reservations.

And my friend said the food is spicy.  Duh.  Is it family style or can they accommodate requests for less heat?

Hi Zitsky

Take a look at the menu posted earlier in the thread - mains are Family style, but they may be able to accommodate. Butter chicken is quite a mild dish so that would probably be OK. The Chicken Biryani and Aloo Gobi are also mild dishes with usually not too much spice.

• Like 1