Car service from JFK to Manhattan?

forshping

We'll be flying into JFK several days prior to boarding Vista in September and would like to book a car service to take us to our hotel in Manhattan. Please let me know your recommendation(s) for a car service you've previously booked. Thanks.

We arrive at JFK in a couple of weeks at 11 pm, and have no recent experience.  I sort of thought we would either use an Uber or a regular taxi to get to Manhattan (I see that there is evidently a flat fare for taxi trips to Manhattan).  For those of you with more experience, for an arrival at that time of night (plus will need to retrieve checked luggage), do you still recommend Carmel or Dial 7 over an Uber or a taxi?  Thank you.

Tom & Judy

4 hours ago, TFree said:

We arrive at JFK in a couple of weeks at 11 pm, and have no recent experience.  I sort of thought we would either use an Uber or a regular taxi to get to Manhattan

At  that hour  I would just  book a hotel near the airport  with a shuttle  then head to the port in the morning

I believe it is  close to 1 hr trip   maybe traffic  will not  be that bad at that  hour of night  but still a late  night

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

At  that hour  I would just  book a hotel near the airport  with a shuttle  then head to the port in the morning

I believe it is  close to 1 hr trip   maybe traffic  will not  be that bad at that  hour of night  but still a late  night

Sorry, @LHT28 - my question was completely unrelated to cruises.  We will be in NY, staying in Manhattan for 3 nights, before heading out on a non-cruise trip to Europe.  I regularly look at the Cruise Critic boards, and since this topic was posted, it seemed like a good group to ask.

Tom & Judy

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 12:43 PM, LHT28 said:

Perhaps if you don't care about the quality of your airport hotel.

It's not a given that they would have a shuttle, plus you have schlepping to the shuttle pickup area. Most are quite low quality, and a several are being used for homeless and transient housing.

The new Hyatt may be an exception:

https://viewfromthewing.com/hyatt-regency-jfk-at-resorts-world-review/

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Perhaps if you don't care about the quality of your airport hotel.

It's not a given that they would have a shuttle, plus you have schlepping to the shuttle pickup area. Most are quite low quality, and a several are being used for homeless and transient housing.

The new Hyatt may be an exception:

https://viewfromthewing.com/hyatt-regency-jfk-at-resorts-world-review/

The TWA hotel in Terminal 5 is also an exception.  

• Like 2

We live about 25 miles from JFK.  The local quality transportation company is:

Delux Transportation

Port Washington NY

Just call in advance (easier than the website) and book with flight info.  

Reliable....not cheap....but reliable.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:36 AM, TFree said:

We arrive at JFK in a couple of weeks at 11 pm, and have no recent experience.   For those of you with more experience, for an arrival at that time of night (plus will need to retrieve checked luggage), do you still recommend Carmel or Dial 7 over an Uber or a taxi? 

Yes, definitely.  Carmel & Dial 7 will monitor your flight, you text/call when you get your luggage and they will be there within minutes.  

We were at a wedding in Tribeca that lasted until wee hours - town car was ready and waiting.  We have never had a problem.  Carmel is booked for our upcoming trip in Aug/Sept.

• Like 1

Finding a car with driver at JFK is not always easy. If you want them to park and come in, that will cost you significantly more. If they pick you up outside, they aren't allowed to sit and wait for you to come out. They have to wait some distance from the terminal, and when you have your luggage, then they proceed to the terminal, which depending on a variety of circumstances,  could be a madhouse. That's why I take a NYC cab into Manhatan, just get on line and the dispatcher will tell you which cab to get in, even at 12 am. My backup if there is a problem is Uber,  which has surge pricing, and could be quite expensive, and it isn't always easy to spot the Uber driver. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2023 at 1:07 PM, TFree said:

Sorry, @LHT28 - my question was completely unrelated to cruises.  We will be in NY, staying in Manhattan for 3 nights, before heading out on a non-cruise trip to Europe.  I regularly look at the Cruise Critic boards, and since this topic was posted, it seemed like a good group to ask.

Tom & Judy

Just to follow up on my own post, we arrived at JFK after 11:00 pm on a Friday night.  I had pre-booked a car with Carmel.  We notified them when we had our bags.  It took somewhere between 30-45 minutes after we called for the car to show up.  Three days later, when we headed back to JFK to head out to Europe, we again booked Carmel from the Manhattan hotel to JFK.  First it was going to be 10 minutes late, then 20 minutes late, then I called and they couldn't give me much assurance as to exactly when the car would get there.  So we cancelled and took an Uber instead.  So, for whatever it is worth, our first experiences with Carmel were not good.  I might try Dial 7 the next time we have a similar trip in mind.  Although they have offered me a "Digital Discount" on a future trip in an attempt to win me back.

Tom & Judy

We have relatives in NYC - Manhattan.  Whenever arriving at JFK or LGA we take a taxi into town.  Taxis from JFK have a flat fare and all you pay is that fare, the tolls and the tip.  There are taxi dispatchers all over the airport.  Just get in a taxi and the dispatcher hands you a note - printed - informing you of the fare and what you pay in addition to it.  When we lived in NYC we paid $35 each way plus tolls and tip.  Cost was around $50.  That was a long time ago but the system still works.  I would expect to pay $75 or more for the taxi.   If you want specifics I can ask a relative in NY how much they pay.

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We have relatives in NYC - Manhattan.  Whenever arriving at JFK or LGA we take a taxi into town.  Taxis from JFK have a flat fare and all you pay is that fare, the tolls and the tip.  There are taxi dispatchers all over the airport.  Just get in a taxi and the dispatcher hands you a note - printed - informing you of the fare and what you pay in addition to it.  When we lived in NYC we paid $35 each way plus tolls and tip.  Cost was around $50.  That was a long time ago but the system still works.  I would expect to pay $75 or more for the taxi.   If you want specifics I can ask a relative in NY how much they pay.

The flat fare for travel between JFK and Manhattan currently is $70, plus various state and local surcharges totaling between about $5 and $10 depending on the time of day, plus tolls and tip. Expect the total cost to be $90 to $100, or even slightly higher if there are tolls involved.

From LGA the fare is based on the meter, plus tolls and tip.

Edited by njhorseman

18 hours ago, TFree said:

Just to follow up on my own post, we arrived at JFK after 11:00 pm on a Friday night.  I had pre-booked a car with Carmel.  We notified them when we had our bags.  It took somewhere between 30-45 minutes after we called for the car to show up.  Three days later, when we headed back to JFK to head out to Europe, we again booked Carmel from the Manhattan hotel to JFK.  First it was going to be 10 minutes late, then 20 minutes late, then I called and they couldn't give me much assurance as to exactly when the car would get there.  So we cancelled and took an Uber instead.  So, for whatever it is worth, our first experiences with Carmel were not good.  I might try Dial 7 the next time we have a similar trip in mind.  Although they have offered me a "Digital Discount" on a future trip in an attempt to win me back.

Tom & Judy

So sorry to hear of your experience with Carmel - hate to hear that when you make a recommendation.  We have used them for years and have them booked for this summer.  We used them last October but family have used them as recently.  Dial 7 comes with good recommendation, however we have not used them.

**Of note, we usually use them for Long Island to JFK/LGA  or the cruiseport in Brooklyn or Manhattan.  

6 minutes ago, Tyskie said:

So sorry to hear of your experience with Carmel - hate to hear that when you make a recommendation.  We have used them for years and have them booked for this summer.  We used them last October but family have used them as recently.  Dial 7 comes with good recommendation, however we have not used them.

**Of note, we usually use them for Long Island to JFK/LGA  or the cruiseport in Brooklyn or Manhattan.  

Don't worry about having made the recommendation.  I had heard of both Carmel (didn't Carmel at one time call themselves "Dial 6"?) and Dial 7 for years; I had just never used them until now. This thread just reinforced my thought that the car services are a viable option, and I chose Carmel over Dial 7 for no particular reason.  I realize, obviously things (including traffic problems) can happen.  It is just the combination of two negative experiences three days apart that has left me with a bad taste.

Tom & Judy