Staff with Chickenpox on Arvia

Technoman2

Just had a notification from P&O that some staff on Arvia have contracted Chickenpox and will be removed from the ship as soon as possible and if we have any concerns about this then contact P&O. We are on the ship on Sunday so i hope they have controls in place by then. I contracted it off my young son at 33  years old and i was really ill and  covered in nasty spots for 10 days. Its not a joke to catch this. People who have had it can also contract Shingles.

I hope any of our friends and indeed most of the staff and passengers have not been affected.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, david63 said:

I thought that if you were vaccinated for chickenpox that it was highly unlikely that you could be infected - although I believe that the take up of the vaccine has declined in recent years.

If you’ve had chickenpox you can contract shingles. People over 70 are offered a shingles vaccination.

Apparently shingles can be very painful. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, david63 said:

I thought that if you were vaccinated for chickenpox that it was highly unlikely that you could be infected - although I believe that the take up of the vaccine has declined in recent years.

The NHS now do offer a shingles vaccination for over 70s, so I imagine that even having had chickenpox you could still get shingles if you come in contact with the virus.

• Like 1

I think the chicken pox vaccination is only for only those most vulnerable to complications. There are many adults who avoided having chicken pox as a child, and hence can easily catch it for the first time. Likewise, adults who had chicken pox as a child can then develop shingles as the virus remains dormant and becomes reactivated. 

Those whom are immunocompromised are at a greater risk for this to happen.

• Like 1

This might help:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shingles/

“You cannot get shingles from someone with shingles or chickenpox.

But you can get chickenpox from someone with shingles if you have not had chickenpox before.

When people get chickenpox, the virus remains in the body. It can be reactivated later and cause shingles if someone's immune system is lowered.

This can be because of stress, certain conditions, or treatments like chemotherapy.”

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I think the chicken pox vaccination is only for only those most vulnerable to complications. There are many adults who avoided having chicken pox as a child, and hence can easily catch it for the first time. Likewise, adults who had chicken pox as a child can then develop shingles as the virus remains dormant and becomes reactivated. 

I didn’t get chicken pox as a child although I can remember several friends having it. My had all the vacations that were available at the time but a chicken pox jab wasn’t available then. As far as I’m aware I’m not eligible for a chick pox jab now.  

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

I didn’t get chicken pox as a child although I can remember several friends having it. My had all the vacations that were available at the time but a chicken pox jab wasn’t available then. As far as I’m aware I’m not eligible for a chick pox jab now.  

Have you had vaccination(s) for shingles?  If not, perhaps you should ask your doctor about that.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

This might help:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/shingles/

“You cannot get shingles from someone with shingles or chickenpox.

But you can get chickenpox from someone with shingles if you have not had chickenpox before.

When people get chickenpox, the virus remains in the body. It can be reactivated later and cause shingles if someone's immune system is lowered.

This can be because of stress, certain conditions, or treatments like chemotherapy.”

Interesting, when my dad had shingles ( this is about 35 years ago) I didn’t realise that I could have caught chicken pox from him. Fortunately I didn’t. 

Just now, d9704011 said:

Have you had vaccination(s) for shingles?  If not, perhaps you should ask your doctor about that.

I’m not eligible for a shingles jab as I’m too young !  My husband is over 70, and he had his shingles jab the other week 

5 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

So true. I’ve had it twice since 2019!  Fortunately, though, if you spot the symptoms quickly and get antivirals from the GP within a very short timescale the worst of the symptoms can often be avoided.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I thought that if you were vaccinated for chickenpox that it was highly unlikely that you could be infected - although I believe that the take up of the vaccine has declined in recent years

Error

Edited by majortom10

From what I know, it isn't impossible for those who are immunocompromised to actually get chicken pox a second time (even if they have had it before). Simply due to their immune system not working like it should, so the antibodies that they would have developed after contracting it the first time may not necessarily fight and inactivate it the second time. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m not eligible for a shingles jab as I’m too young !  My husband is over 70, and he had his shingles jab the other week 

Well... there's an obvious difference between UK and Ontario health care systems!  Publicly funded is available for those 65 to 70; otherwise thise over 50 can simply pay for it if they choose to do so.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

They've known about chickenpox on Arvia for at least 3 weeks - a letter was passed around at kids club saying it was onboard and cases had been found during the cruise that began April 2nd.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, itf said:

They've known about chickenpox on Arvia for at least 3 weeks - a letter was passed around at kids club saying it was onboard and cases had been found during the cruise that began April 2nd.

Thats interesting!

36 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Have you not all heard of chicken pox parties? 
Used to be a thing cos it’s better if you get them when you are little rather than older. 

Yes that was a thing even back in the 60s. A mild dose for a small child is better than as a teenager or adult.

Bigger ships mean a higher percentage chance of someone coming on unknowingly with chicken pox, German measles, mumps or any other transmittable decease. More children increases the odds.

It could happen anywhere else,  just the same.

It’s the crew we should really feel sorry for. They’re adult, more likely as a result to be more affected by the virus, and I somehow doubt the treatment, financial and otherwise, they’ll get from P&O.

Chicken Pox parties for adults are definitely not a thing.

• Like 6