Sleep / Stay in Different Cabin - Question

Hi all!  We're planning a RCL Allure cruise next year.  Will be myself, my wife, and daughter, and my sister (solo cruiser).  Plan is for my family of three to reserve one Central Balcony, and my sister to reserve her own. As kids aren't free on this cruise, I have to pay extra (in addition to tax) for my daughter, and my sister needs to pay almost 2x as she's solo. However...If I reserve one cabin with my wife/daughter and the second with my sister/me, we can save $650. We'd reserve cabins close to each other.

Question...On the ship, would anyone from RCL raise an issue if we reserve this way, and I stay/sleep in the cabin with my wife and daughter (my daughter is young and would sleep between us on the bed and doens't need her own bed).

THANKS!

8 minutes ago, steve3791 said:

Hi all!  We're planning a RCL Allure cruise next year.  Will be myself, my wife, and daughter, and my sister (solo cruiser).  Plan is for my family of three to reserve one Central Balcony, and my sister to reserve her own. As kids aren't free on this cruise, I have to pay extra (in addition to tax) for my daughter, and my sister needs to pay almost 2x as she's solo. However...If I reserve one cabin with my wife/daughter and the second with my sister/me, we can save $650. We'd reserve cabins close to each other.

Question...On the ship, would anyone from RCL raise an issue if we reserve this way, and I stay/sleep in the cabin with my wife and daughter (my daughter is young and would sleep between us on the bed and doens't need her own bed).

THANKS!

Nope  Nobody cares where you sleep

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Nobody on the ship will care. Once on board, go to Guest Services and tell them who will be sleeping where and they will issue new Sea Passes for the right room.

Not "new" sea pass but they will issue you a key only card for the cabin you want to sleep in.  That "key only" card will have no charging privileges and you will need to retain your original card to charge and leave and return to the ship

• Like 2

As your child is so young, you don't have to bother changing her Seapass to your room once on board, as she won't ever be alone and need a "key" to get into the room by herself.

Just make sure you add some extra (cash) tips to your room attendant, since your child's gratuities will be allocated to your sister's room attendant.

Book adjacent cabins ?

Book a cabin with sofa bed, talk nicely to steward (hopefully same one) who will make up sofa bed for daughter…tip well.

Beds in many cabins are two singles zipped together so may not be comfortable for three.

Have done similar with D and SIL..GD booked in Father in Law’s cabin but had sofa bed made up with parents. Steward very obliging. We were booked as a row of four cabins though..all with same steward. 

Booked 3 rooms for our extended family.  DD is listed in a room with her brother & cousin (all adults) but she will stay in our room.  I plan to tip our steward on day one to make up the sofa for her or at least leave bedding so we can do it as I’m not sure if it will be a pull out or not.  Will grab her a room key card when GS isn’t swamped.

12 hours ago, cruisegus said:

Not "new" sea pass but they will issue you a key only card for the cabin you want to sleep in.  That "key only" card will have no charging privileges and you will need to retain your original card to charge and leave and return to the ship

Not in my experience. I have done this multiple times and they have always issued us new cards with charging privileges. The only time we have gotten a "key only" card was when we asked for one to have access to the cabin our kids were in.

• Thanks 1

Thank you al again for the great replies!

As my daughter is young, other than getting on and off the ship, won’t need her Sea Pass for the room or to buy anything.

I’m going to try to get two cabins very very close, so hopefully the same cabin attendant. If not, will be sure to add an extra tip for my attendant.  Also I’m thinking if the rooms are almost next to each other, would have the same lifeboat station? 

I also looked into connecting cabins. However for two Central Park Balcony cabins, it costs ~$300 more a cabin to have two connecting vs two very close.  Guess there are a limited number of connecting cabins, but $600 more total for connecting seems like a lot.

Anything THANKS ALL! 

On 4/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

Nobody on the ship will care. Once on board, go to Guest Services and tell them who will be sleeping where and they will issue new Sea Passes for the right room.

Not even sure they need to do this.  Just book the child with the sister if the child doesn’t need a key.  

On 4/29/2023 at 5:42 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Book adjacent cabins ?

Book a cabin with sofa bed, talk nicely to steward (hopefully same one) who will make up sofa bed for daughter…tip well.

Beds in many cabins are two singles zipped together so may not be comfortable for three.

Have done similar with D and SIL..GD booked in Father in Law’s cabin but had sofa bed made up with parents. Steward very obliging. We were booked as a row of four cabins though..all with same steward. 

Most times if there are 2 people on the reservation you cannot book a room with a sofabed as those have to have 3 or 4 guests to book as they are a different category than cabins meant for 2

• Thanks 1

Maybe things have changed..our situation was pre Covid..D and SIL had a suite with SIL’s Dad and GD in balcony nearby.…for booking purposes only. We were in adjacent balcony to Grand suite. Fortunately we were all close enough to have the same steward…so he didn’t miss out on any tips by putting GD in with D and SIL.

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Most times if there are 2 people on the reservation you cannot book a room with a sofabed as those have to have 3 or 4 guests to book as they are a different category than cabins meant for 2

Thanks, I have prepared DD for the fact it’ll probably be a regular sofa not a pull out.

Edited by poocher
  • Like 1