Adult Only Celebrity Cruise

shubsens

40 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Have you looked at Virgin? They advertise adults only.

Never tried them but they would meet your brief…Might be worth looking at a few reviews.

We just tried Virgin a few weeks ago.  Very interesting, very different vibe.  I can explain more if anyone is interested.  

• Like 2

I presume there is not much of a business case for running certain ships or itineraries as "adult only" .

I only know of one line that has a mix of ships, and that is Marella. They used to have at least 2 ships which were "adult only" at one time years ago, but currently now have just one out of five ships which is adult only. Their latest ship in their fleet (an old Celebrity ship) is family friendly which leads me to believe they are moving away from having adult only ships.

3 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Please do

Sure.  

I find myself still trying to process my opinion on the Virgin cruise, lol.  It's just a very interestingly re-invented version of what were used to.  No main dining room, but five upscale restaurants (no upcharge) that are, in my opinion as good as specialty restaurants on other mid-range cruise lines.  No buffet, but instead a "food hall" setup with various restaurants from which you order from your table (not self serve).  The food was all pretty darned good.  The entertainment was pretty good.  Pop-up entertainment s around the ship at little venues and some very entertaining main shows.  The ship was very modern, albeit a little less "intuitive" when it comes to getting around than some of the newer mega ships.  It did not feel crowded.  Hammocks on every cabin's balcony.  The dinner and show reservation process was app based, and was stressful for many who had trouble getting what they wanted in advance.  Not the case with "Mega Rockstar" suite category guests.  Our Rockstar Agent (butler) was always around and handled all of our arrangements.  Fully stocked and restocked bar in our suite.

No photographers, very few announcements, no cruise director.  No gold by the inch sales and no pushing of sale items.  There is an actual tattoo parlor onboard, and I heard it sold out with appointments by the first day.  The ages of the passengers is across the board...as a couple in our early 60s we felt like we were above the target age for sure, but we were by no means the oldest on the ship.

The no kids thing was a plus for us.  We love kids, but it was nice to have an adults only vibe that's hard to explain.

All of that was amazing...the crew was the happiest and most upbeat group I have ever seen on a ship.  I will say if you're homophobic or otherwise uncomfortable with crew members sporting facial hair and/or tattoos, then this may not be the cruise for you.  We saw it as people thriving in a work environment that let them be themselves.

It was just a very diverse crowd with an energetic and 20-30 something vibe (in spite of the fact that, as I said, there were many people way older than that) and I still don't know if I liked it although we had a great trip!  I know that makes little sense!

It was only a 5 night Caribbean cruise, and it was our first post covid cruise...we had a great time and can't wait for our next cruise...we are doing the Pacific Coastal on the Eclipse in October.  Hope that helps.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 11

I have mostly done 10+ day cruises over the past 6-7 years.   There are usually very few children on those, I also tend to go during school times in the fall or later in spring after spring break.  

4 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Isn't Viking (whole fleet) purely adult only like Virgin is?

Yes.  And the passengers are like 200 years old.  That’s what my husband said after our last Viking cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

Sure.  

I find myself still trying to process my opinion on the Virgin cruise, lol.  It's just a very interestingly re-invented version of what were used to.  No main dining room, but five upscale restaurants (no upcharge) that are, in my opinion as good as specialty restaurants on other mid-range cruise lines.  No buffet, but instead a "food hall" setup with various restaurants from which you order from your table (not self serve).  The food was all pretty darned good.  The entertainment was pretty good.  Pop-up entertainment s around the ship at little venues and some very entertaining main shows.  The ship was very modern, albeit a little less "intuitive" when it comes to getting around than some of the newer mega ships.  It did not feel crowded.  Hammocks on every cabin's balcony.  The dinner and show reservation process was app based, and was stressful for many who had trouble getting what they wanted in advance.  Not the case with "Mega Rockstar" suite category guests.  Our Rockstar Agent (butler) was always around and handled all of our arrangements.  Fully stocked and restocked bar in our suite.

No photographers, very few announcements, no cruise director.  No gold by the inch sales and no pushing of sale items.  There is an actual tattoo parlor onboard, and I heard it sold out with appointments by the first day.  The ages of the passengers is across the board...as a couple in our early 60s we felt like we were above the target age for sure, but we were by no means the oldest on the ship.

The no kids thing was a plus for us.  We love kids, but it was nice to have an adults only vibe that's hard to explain.

All of that was amazing...the crew was the happiest and most upbeat group I have ever seen on a ship.  I will say if you're homophobic or otherwise uncomfortable with crew members sporting facial hair and/or tattoos, then this may not be the cruise for you.  We saw it as people thriving in a work environment that let them be themselves.

It was just a very diverse crowd with an energetic and 20-30 something vibe (in spite of the fact that, as I said, there were many people way older than that) and I still don't know if I liked it although we had a great trip!  I know that makes little sense!

It was only a 5 night Caribbean cruise, and it was our first post covid cruise...we had a great time and can't wait for our next cruise...we are doing the Pacific Coastal on the Eclipse in October.  Hope that helps.

Another thing about Virgin is they pay their employees an actual salary with benefits and give them free unlimited wifi.  None of the big cruise lines do that

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

We just tried Virgin a few weeks ago.  Very interesting, very different vibe.  I can explain more if anyone is interested.  

We also tried Virgin about 6 weeks ago.  Agree. Interesting and different.  But I dont think I'd sail Virgin again. 

3 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

I still don't know if I liked it although we had a great trip!  I know that makes little sense!

We have exactly the same post-cruise feelings. 

• Like 1

I think most of us, who have cruised at various times of the year can attest to this: 

There are many adults, over 18, who behave like children on cruises.

So, "Adults-only" doesn't really guarantee an adults only cruise. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I think most of us, who have cruised at various times of the year can attest to this: 

Good point and well stated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

How about we agree that none of this childish behavior is acceptable?  Not from adults and not from children.  If I see anyone running around screaming, I will talk to someone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How about we agree that none of this childish behavior is acceptable?  Not from adults and not from children.  If I see anyone running around screaming, I will talk to someone.

Who will you talk to?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruisinShips said:

Who will you talk to?

The parents. / The staff. / Guest Services.

Do I need to go on?

I’m not a big believer in “you have no right to do anything about that screaming child and/or drunk adult.”

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

The parents. / The staff. / Guest Services.

Do I need to go on?

I’m not a big believer in “you have no right to do anything about that screaming child and/or drunk adult.”

I was just messing with you.  I will be sure to behave when I am in your general vicinity though!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, shubsens said:

Does Celebrity ever offer adult only cruises, I would book in a second .

Not that I know of; we've cruised on Celebrity three times, Equinox, Silhouette and this past February on the Reflection.  Never saw a lot of kids; only when the parents let their kids run wild with no parent supervision.  Last cruise, we saw some kids in a hot tub with parents in plain sight. Most of the kids were well behaved. 

Even when Celebrity was a 5 star line back in the 90’s children were still welcome.  That won’t change.  It would hurt their bottom line. Perhaps try Viking or American River Cruises or get a suite on Celebrity and spend your time mostly in your cabin if you hate cruising with children.  Celebrity will always welcome all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Why wow?  Many people love kids, but prefer not to sail with them.  

I wonder if it’s the same for land vacations?  Pretty difficult to avoid children unless you go to a Poconos honeymoon resort.  Kids are a part of our world too and we were all once kids.

• Like 1