Pants in specialty restaurants

23 hours ago, hallux said:

Bayamo and Le Bistro are the only venues where gents are asked to wear long pants and collared shirt.  Resort casual is ok in all other restaurants.

In my experience the larger of the MDRs are usually also requiring long pants, but the smaller MDR has only "resort casual" requirements.

Just now, The Traveling Man said:

There seems to a difference between the posted dress code and what actually is enforced on some ships or on some itineraries.  I have seen men in shorts, t-shirts, and sandals having dinner in Le Bistro.  Yes, inside, not outdoors.

this is true.  I was on the escape and folks were going to have dinner at the Manhattan room, which requires pants and shoes.  I didn't go because I wasn't going to put on either.  Afterwards, people told me that there were plenty of guys wearing shorts.  The next dinner scheduled for the Manhattan room, I went wearing my shorts and slides.  Had no problem at all.

13 minutes ago, zqvol said:

This is simply not true. 

It is true, whether you care to notice or not. "Most" will dress up a bit.  "Not most" won't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

I was on the escape and folks were going to have dinner at the Manhattan room, which requires pants and shoes.  I didn't go because I wasn't going to put on either.  Afterwards, people told me that there were plenty of guys wearing shorts.  The next dinner scheduled for the Manhattan room, I went wearing my shorts and slides.

Generally, Escape doesn't require long pants in the Manhattan Room or in any MDR. Bayamo and Le Bistro are the only 2 on Escape that are "Smart Casual". 

4 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

In my experience the larger of the MDRs are usually also requiring long pants, but the smaller MDR has only "resort casual" requirements.

It varies by ship and on occasion, it varies by itinerary. 

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

There seems to a difference between the posted dress code and what actually is enforced on some ships or on some itineraries.

Enforcement can always vary. Usually, someone on the forum is asking about the dress code. 

Some forum members get upset when the code isn't enforced. 

Some forum members get upset when the code is enforced.

It's just one of the classic CC thread topics...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Generally, Escape doesn't require long pants in the Manhattan Room or in any MDR. Bayamo and Le Bistro are the only 2 on Escape that are "Smart Casual". 

well, this was my first time on the Escape, so I'll have to take your word on it, especially given my experience.  I will say that I"m used to one MDR requiring long pants for guys.  Even the solo host told us that long pants were required for the guys, and some guys went to their cabin and changed before dinner.  I didn't look to see if they had the dress code sign up front.  But I agree, the point is "it depends"

7 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Yes you must wear pants, no one wants to see anyone else's naked butt, especially while dining.  🙂

Reminds me of a sign I saw at a restaurant in my college days:

SHOES AND SHIRTS REQUIRED TO EAT HERE

(PANTS CAN EAT WHEREVER THEY WANT TO)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of that "DEPENDS" on where the cruise is cruising - Alaska very forgiving - Baby it is cold
outside and the weather so unpredicable - - -
Now cruise the Canadian New England maritimes - the ole stuffed shirt dress code is expected -
Likewise cruise the Mediterranean and it would be expected -
The Caribbean perhaps more relaxed due to the heat and humidity -
The time of the year early or late cruise season may play a factor -

And then there is that first day of the cruise when the clothing police can't enforce the rules until
your luggage is made available to change into.

With only two or three restaurants requiring the elaborate tux bow tie format why make a fuss
eat there the first night sans dress code and enjoy the rest of cruise casual cruise.

37 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

well, this was my first time on the Escape, so I'll have to take your word on it, especially given my experience. 

My first time on Escape was in 2016. IIRC, Escape allowed shorts in all MDRs (incl. Manhattan Room) from the time that it went into service in late 2015. 

It really ends up being, "who cares"?  We choose to "dress up a bit" because we enjoy it. I couldn't care less what the couple beside us is wearing.

That said, it is hilarious to watch a sharply dressed woman look at her partner wearing an old gray t-shirt, and he's gone!  10-minutes later he's wearing a nice, collared polo.  😆

Point of the story -- ask your female partner what you should wear. You'll never screw it up that way.

Edited by RB9643
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RB9643 said:

It really ends up being, "who cares"?  We choose to "dress up a bit" because we enjoy it. I couldn't care less what the couple beside us is wearing.

That said, it is hilarious to watch a sharply dressed woman look at her partner wearing an old gray t-shirt, and he's gone!  10-minutes later he's wearing a nice, collared polo.  😆

Point of the story -- ask your female partner what you should wear. You'll never screw it up that way.

that was his fault.  If they know each other well enough to be on a cruise together, he should have known her well enough to know that he was wrong :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i live in jeans and t--shirts for the entire cruise, i jus tbring along a collared shirt to be safe if i plan on eating at le bistro.

and contrary to a prior post, most people do not dress up for dinner. the ones that do, imho look extremely out of  place.

i'm with chief mate jrk ( as i usually agree with him) on this one

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, complawyer said:

and contrary to a prior post, most people do not dress up for dinner. the ones that do, imho look extremely out of  place.

*sigh* I think there is some serious cognitive dissonance here. I'm not talking suit and tie, just regular khakis and a polo. Maybe a button-down shirt for Le Bistro.  This isn't Cunard.

33 minutes ago, complawyer said:

khakis and polo's work for me, and i consider them "very casual" and certainly not under a category of "dress up"

It's all good. If I went to the buffet at 7 pm, or main dining at 7 pm, khakis and polo would be "dressing up a bit". 😎

2 hours ago, RB9643 said:

No.  I wear what I want to wear.  Are we no longer men? 

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

No.  I wear what I want to wear.  Are we no longer men? 

Not at all. You're a lucky man with complete control. Good for you -- sorry for your partner, I told the wife that Chief and I are invading MDR wearing Red and Black flannel pajama pants. She just rolled her eyes and said, "guys are dumb".  😂😆😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

?????

Exhaggeration forum license !
Dressing to the nines bow tie cumberbum AND de PANTS
that went down with the Titanic - even the 4th class guests
had to dress up to dine.
Now with the NCL Free-Style program just about anything
goes but there is still some hold back for a couple of 
restaurants to keep cruise casual - smart casual.
Oh yes you can still dress to kill for the photo-opt night
when the Officer crew wear their dress blue uniforms.

Viva-la NCL Free-Style !

I don't have a photo of my "cruise" pants on my phone, so had to go seek them out at LL Bean's website. @ChiefMateJRK and @complawyer, here's my addition to the pants worn in NCL restaurants. I know you'll both appreciate them. 🤠

But really y'all, if I'm in pants on the cruise, this is what I'm in and yes that includes dinner in the Haven Restaurant. I should try wearing these to Le Bistro sometimes, except I don't want goose liver and snails. 

image.thumb.png.f5c9f3018ce7e1f094f1bf699fa5fc66.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I don't have a photo of my "cruise" pants on my phone, so had to go seek them out at LL Bean's website. @ChiefMateJRK and @complawyer, here's my addition to the pants worn in NCL restaurants. I know you'll both appreciate them. 🤠

But really y'all, if I'm in pants on the cruise, this is what I'm in and yes that includes dinner in the Haven Restaurant. I should try wearing these to Le Bistro sometimes, except I don't want goose liver and snails. 

image.thumb.png.f5c9f3018ce7e1f094f1bf699fa5fc66.png

Nice pants you got there, it'd be a shame if I "accidentally" tripped and spilled my red wine on them. 😆 (JK...)

• Haha 1