Italian Ports no Spirits...

Krydstosser

Do you guys have the same experience with Italien Port authorities? Do Princess enforce those rules just as strict as NCL? If yes how long after sail away will enforce it?

image.jpeg.ca7a2dd052d3e8fac2b093b5e97aaf57.jpeg

Edited by Krydstosser

• Krydstosser changed the title to Italian Ports no Spirits...
19 minutes ago, memoak said:

This is usually a port or state decree. For instance when sailing from Galveston drink packages don’t work due to state law until you are in International waters

We upgraded our drink package, if we had known this we would not have upgraded it. But other writes that they enforces this "Wine and Beer only" hours after they left ports.  

I think they should have told us when we purchased the upgrade of the drink package. But thats my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, Krydstosser said:

We upgraded our drink package, if we had known this we would not have upgraded it. But other writes that they enforces this "Wine and Beer only" hours after they left ports.  

I think they should have told us when we purchased the upgrade of the drink package. But thats my opinion. 

In many cases they will refund the fee for a package that cannot be used for that day. There have been posts of this happening when leaving Texas. I have also encountered a policy in Canada that only one bar per deck can be open while in the ports. We had a last day in Victoria last year and the Crown Grill bar was closed with a sign

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Krydstosser said:
42 minutes ago, memoak said:

This is usually a port or state decree. For instance when sailing from Galveston drink packages don’t work due to state law until you are in International waters

I think they should have told us when we purchased the upgrade of the drink package. But thats my opinion

I think the assumption is that you can avoid alcohol until in international waters. Then drink up. That's just a very small portion of 1 day. 

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I think the assumption is that you can avoid alcohol until in international waters. Then drink up. That's just a very small portion of 1 day. 

If you board and noon and sail at 5 or so and it takes a few hours to get to international waters you have wasted most of one full day

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have also encountered a policy in Canada that only one bar per deck can be open while in the ports.

Yeah, we endured that *#*$$@! Canadian law on an extended, weather-related, Canadian port stay. Uggh.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, memoak said:
11 minutes ago, Ombud said:

If you board and noon and sail at 5 or so and it takes a few hours to get to international waters you have wasted most of one full day

And?? You can't catch up? Plus the program covers non-alcoholic beverages, gratuities,  and wfi

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

We have our last evening in Livorno, and some writes that the "Beer & Wine" thing is enforced many hours... I feel they should have told me when I Pre-Purchased the Drink package upgrade, It was quite expensive. 

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

And?? You can't catch up? Plus the program covers non-alcoholic beverages, gratuities,  and wfi

NO - if I'm paying for 7 days - I want 7 days coverage - from 6am the day I board to 6am the next day,

not at 6PM ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We had a similar experience in 2021 on NCL while in Athens, Greece (or rather, that city's port...don't remember the name.)  We were told that "the local government was not allowing alcohol while in port".  We learned after the fact that NCL simply had not paid whatever fee was required for a liquor license!  They made it sound like it was the local government's fault!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fpsphil said:

If this is the case just stock up the night before and put them in the mini fridge

I guess ... maybe some shots ... beer and wine ARE still available ... I doubt most would order a frozen drink / martini and put it in the fridge for the next day until the ban is lifted ...

18 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I guess ... maybe some shots ... beer and wine ARE still available ... I doubt most would order a frozen drink / martini and put it in the fridge for the next day until the ban is lifted ...

I routinely do it with Baileys in the evening. Can pour it into my coffee that comes with room service the next morning

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

while in Athens, Greece (or rather, that city's port...don't remember the name.) 

Piraeus

There is a similar practice when in Spanish waters that there is an additional tax on all alcohol served onboard any ship.

14 hours ago, antsp said:

Wow some people can't be off the drink for a few hours. I think they need to take a look at there lifestyle choices

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to want what you’ve paid for. If a ship spends 4 days of a week in ports where the beverage package can’t be used, that’s a lot. Especially if the ship doesn’t sail till 7pm, which is very common in Italy.IMG_5255.thumb.jpeg.1b45ab5da6977124615eb485dbec3e8d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, antsp said:

Wow some people can't be off the drink for a few hours. I think they need to take a look at there lifestyle choices

This is extremely judgemental! It is just as easy for those who do do enjoy an adult beverage on vacation to be judgemental about the non-drinkers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, people have jumped to some huge conclusions here with no factual basis or even anecdotal evidence.  This thread went from OP posting an NCL sign for Livorno to not being able to use the beverage package on 4 days on a Princess cruise🙄

• Like 5

The OP, asked if anyone had experienced anything similar on a Princess cruise, as they experienced on NCL.

then went on to complain about the face they had paid (NCL) for an upgraded package and didn’t feel it was fair etc etc.  I think they derailed their own thread.

As far as I can see no one has confirmed anything about Princess policy in Livorno.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Wow, people have jumped to some huge conclusions here with no factual basis or even anecdotal evidence.  This thread went from OP posting an NCL sign for Livorno to not being able to use the beverage package on 4 days on a Princess cruise🙄

If, as indicated by the title of the thread, is a regulation in Italian ports the way it is in Galveston, then the cruise line won’t matter. If it is about NCL not paying for proper permits, then it may not be a problem on any other lines. In any case, I sympathize with those who are unhappy to pay for a drink package that is unavailable. I don’t think that it indicates that they “can’t go a few hours” without a drink.

• Like 1

I was on Princess last summer and stopped in Livorno.  Although I was on a ship excursion for most of the day I do not remember seeing anything like that.

Once back on ship we usually go to the sunset bar (the one at the back) for a drink and I have no recollection of any similar notice.  

Maybe it’s a new policy.

Edited by nijh

5 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to want what you’ve paid for. If a ship spends 4 days of a week in ports where the beverage package can’t be used, that’s a lot. Especially if the ship doesn’t sail till 7pm, which is very common in Italy.IMG_5255.thumb.jpeg.1b45ab5da6977124615eb485dbec3e8d.jpeg

So far only Livorno limits it to wine & beer while in port. Yes that's 12 hrs without hard alcohol