First NCL cruise Haven experience.

ISABELLA

First, we are seasoned cruisers, cruising mostly with Celebrity and Princess and RC in the past. Decided to try NCL Haven and here is our take.

We are on Gateway, day 4, sailing from Port Canaveral. A short report so far.

We drove from home, no traffic, about an hour. Got into the port area around 11 for 12 -12:30 check in. OMG, line of cars was about half a mile long. Took us about 50 min to go thru, park the car. Then we got checked in Haven section. It was fairly quickly. Our suite is very nice with a lot of closet space, nice bathroom and jacuzzi tub in the room (haven’t used it yet). We met our lady butler. She is very nice. We didn’t have many requests, so few things we asked for, she gets us. Haven area is very nice, relaxing. 
Concierge service is very convenient. I will give a full report about Haven restaurant by the end of the cruise. We don’t like public areas of the ship. 17 bars and 15 restaurants and different venues makes this ship feel even more crowded.

Stay tuned, more to come.

• Like 7

I will post a review later, mostly about Haven restaurant. We will have dinners at 2 specialty restaurants by the end of the cruise. I do want to mention that serving nondairy little creamers for coffee outside courtyard area was surprising to me. No Half n half or real cream for coffee. Same is room service. We asked our butler to bring us HnH.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:36 AM, ISABELLA said:

First, we are seasoned cruisers, cruising mostly with Celebrity and Princess and RC in the past. Decided to try NCL Haven and here is our take.

We drove from home, no traffic, about an hour. Got into the port area around 11 for 12 -12:30 check in. OMG, line of cars was about half a mile long. Took us about 50 min to go thru, park the car. Then we got checked in Haven section. It was fairly quickly. Our suite is very nice with a lot of closet space, nice bathroom and jacuzzi tub in the room (haven’t used it yet). We met our lady butler. She is very nice. We didn’t have many requests, so few things we asked for, she gets us. Haven area is very nice, relaxing. 
Concierge service is very convenient. I will give a full report about Haven restaurant by the end of the cruise. We don’t like public areas of the ship. 17 bars and 15 restaurants and different venues makes this ship feel even more crowded.

Do you have a Haven Spa Suite? We are going to be in 14142 for 10 days in Europe this summer 🙂 .

We don’t have Spa suite. It might be worth it in Europe. Nice place to relax after day of touring. Thermal spa has not been used much during our cruise. I agree - Haven’s personal is stellar. We are going to have dinner at La Bistro tonight. Will report tomorrow. 

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, ISABELLA said:

I agree, we were on the cruise before yours.  I have never experienced such crowds on a ship.

On 5/15/2023 at 1:21 PM, ISABELLA said:

I will post a review later, mostly about Haven restaurant. We will have dinners at 2 specialty restaurants by the end of the cruise. I do want to mention that serving nondairy little creamers for coffee outside courtyard area was surprising to me. No Half n half or real cream for coffee. Same is room service. We asked our butler to bring us HnH.

We just got off our cruise on the Prima....same deal with the non dairy creamers. I don't care for them so I did a little searching at the buffet and found an urn that had half and half. I took a glass of it to our cabin and put it in our fridge. 

• Like 1

Would like to comment on our Haven experience. Not to repeat what already has been said, just to add. Dining in Haven for breakfast, lunch and dinner was very pleasant and enjoyable experience.

Service was excellent. Taste of food and quality were also very good, for one or two exceptions. I found crabcakes were very salty, but it maybe only for my taste. All other dishes were well prepared and presented. Although menu is the same every day, there are some dishes were worth to eat more than once. 

As for specialty restaurants, we dined in La Bistro and Ocean Blue. La Bistro was good, I had lamb and it was tasty.  My DH had Dover Sole and it was very good. Service was very good. I had salmon in Ocean Blue and it was very bland with no seasoning at all. But cheesecake in the jar was a highlight of that dinner.

We didn't like that NCL beverage package did not include any type of water. And they didn't have any Moscato wine or similar wine to offer. I don't drink mixed drink or hard liquor, so beverage package was useless to us. We upgraded our internet package and it was very slow most of the time.

Overall  we enjoyed Haven experience and will do it again for the right price and itinerary. 

If anyone have any questions, I would answer them to best of my experience.

• Like 3

We will be in the haven getaway next week.  Can anyone recommend their favorite food enjoyed in the Haven?  We were last in the haven on the escape, but that was 2 years ago and can’t remember any food favorites.

With regards to the drink plan - the menus and offerings are posted all over the place here on CC. Did you review them first before deciding to get the package?

Also don't go by what is listed on the menu. That applies to any cruise line. I too like a nice sweet moscato, but on RCC I had to ask at the wine bar to get anything even semi sweet. They had plenty of options - just none advertised. I know with NCL they do have a few good ice wines on the menu and possibly a gershermemerananeiernr (I have no idea how to spell it, but if you know what I'm talking about you know.). 

Talk to the cellar master, tell them what you like and they will offer you things that would be free in your package, and often let you taste ones that aren't. That extra $1-2 upcharge for the ice wine is worth it. Last trip on the Joy friends and I were looking for some good port to enjoy after dinner. There was only 1 listed on the wine menu, but they had about 3-4 options available. 

Especially if you're a Haven guest, just ask. If it's something they have, they will get it for you. If they don't - they will find the next best alternative. Ask your butler to bring you half & half to store in your fridge, ask and ye shall receive. Do nothing but comment/complain on FB & CC - and you'll get nothing but eye rolls or feigned sympathy/empathy from others.

As for the internet - I've never heard anyone rave about internet speeds while at sea on any cruise line. Some are passable, some are better than others, but none will be similar to what you have on land. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CallagDeb said:

We will be in the haven getaway next week.  Can anyone recommend their favorite food enjoyed in the Haven?  We were last in the haven on the escape, but that was 2 years ago and can’t remember any food favorites.

I get a lobster tail with every meal 🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CallagDeb said:

Oh my gosh! I could write an absolute multi-page thread on the Haven food. Mmmm, you're in for such a treat! And, Getaway...fantastic service! Hopefully your maitre d is Darius (from Poland) or Dusan (from Serbia). They're both great! But, it's been awhile since I sailed Getaway so who knows if they're even there. Anyway, the food!

First, as @fastpitchdad says, feel free to get a lobster tail (or five) with every dinner. Or, get a filet and filet. Whichever. It's all yummy! 

The lamb ribeye is phenomenal. one of the best meals I've ever stolen from my husband. It's juicy, flavorful and cooked perfectly, every time. He orders it medium. 

20230318_184420.thumb.jpg.50827667f283b8b13e462095d28695bd.jpg

My favorite meal, on NCL, ever is the pork chop. It's double cut now, instead of Tomahawk. Whatever. It's simply divine either way. The first time I ordered it, I had it medium well. Pink pork is just weird to me. It was not good as overcooked pork is, well I'm sure you've sampled it before. I've learned and order it medium now. Simply delicious, juicy, and oh my gosh melt in your mouth. Mmmmmm, I want it. Right. Now. 

IMG_20230402_154007.thumb.jpg.6a3e36c95230c1309236981738aaccd4.jpg

Customizations: Remember to feel free to customize your food, within reason, and with enough notice. This is what we do - when we know we want a customization that isn't very easy, we talk to the maitre d the day before we want to order. We tell them what customization we want. When we arrive the next day, the host generally confirms the special request. Then, when we order, the server makes sure they understand what we're describing. Always, always, always give the staff plenty of notice.

Here are our favorite customizations:

- He orders shrimp cocktail in place of shrimp Louie for dinner. They have a good cocktail sauce. Also, he orders 13 shrimp, instead of the pathetic three that are typically served. We don't make special arrangements for this as they have all the ingredients in the galley. A lot of people order shrimp cocktail, just not with 13 shrimp.

IMG_20230402_154004.thumb.jpg.7df2b18f0dc3d028063404df48563c2d.jpg

Just FYI - this was from Joy, not Getaway, but same idea.

I enjoy ordering my Eggs Benedict, with crab cakes, instead of ham. It can sometimes be a chore explaining exactly what I want as I still want the English Muffin, egg, and sauce. Just sub crab cake for ham. For some reason, in December this did really confuse the maitre d, but this is the photo of what I received on that trip. Perfection!

20230107_093841.thumb.jpg.046d8092fd064c8c9c2bdf71efbb9c27.jpg

We ignore the baked potato. They really aren't great. Instead we choose the silky pomme puree (aka mashed potatoes). So gooooooood!!! Especially loaded. Ask the server for toppings. They'll bring over a bowl with bacon, cheese, chives, and sour cream. Don't be afraid to ask for more than one scoop. The spoons are tiny. 

20230318_184537.thumb.jpg.97e2e54a397364487a6c763e34f119f4.jpg

American Diner: On embarkation day, American Diner is an option for you to dine at for lunch. At no charge. Some cruisers want the formality and yumminess of the Haven Restaurant immediately. The lunch menu in the Haven doesn't excite us, so we choose to have an extra included specialty meal at American Diner. It's good food. It's not great! The milkshakes are very good. In April, 2022, I called the Banana Milkshake the best milkshake I had ever had. The quality has gone down a bit, but it's still good. Unfortunately, you do have to pay for the milkshake. All the food is included though. 

Here's our every time order:

20220903_115006.thumb.jpg.f6a35e310dbcd59ca0d984d0430e5b20.jpg

Only three come with an order. This was taken after my husband stole one of his. He got three, I got three. Also, these look much better than the mozzarella sticks on Joy. Just be sure they're cooked all the way through. We have had to return them on more than one occasion as they were frozen on the inside. Once they get them right, yummy cheese perfection. 

This is the seafood basket (ho-hum):

20220903_120857.thumb.jpg.ceb293be8c2b3333062fe7836501d9d9.jpg

A yummy chicken sandwich: 

20220903_120906.thumb.jpg.0101d3a63671d196e7bc17698524fe0a.jpg

A passable shrimp/lobster roll. Skip the roll and it's much better!

IMG_20221231_134953.thumb.jpg.c86acc852cd9805c2686e99154c66f82.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you such great information it was just what I was looking for.  We have cruised the Escape haven and it was fabulous.  We’re looking forward to the Getaway.  And with your input we are certainly wiser.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  

This is making me wish I was rich so I could get back into the Haven on our Alaskan cruise this June, but the $10K+ price is just a bit rich for our budget at this time.  Personally, I liked breakfast the most, especially the Eggs Benedict.  I need to try that crab cake option next time.

really trying to get to New Orleans next year to do the Breakaway to the Western Caribbean and Mexico.  The First Class (we are plus-sized people so we prefer the wider seats) flights from Seattle cost almost as much as a Haven booking!  

17 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

This is making me wish I was rich so I could get back into the Haven on our Alaskan cruise this June, but the $10K+ price is just a bit rich for our budget at this time.  Personally, I liked breakfast the most, especially the Eggs Benedict.  I need to try that crab cake option next time.

really trying to get to New Orleans next year to do the Breakaway to the Western Caribbean and Mexico.  The First Class (we are plus-sized people so we prefer the wider seats) flights from Seattle cost almost as much as a Haven booking!  

The New Orleans Breakaway Haven cruises are among the most affordable of the upcoming cruises! We're looking at one of those weeks. I forgot which one...but I really, really want to hit the Southern Caribbean. Just have to pony up a bit more for that longer cruise. Maybe we'll be dining on the crab cakes Benedict side by side in 2024. 🦀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

I get a lobster tail with every meal 🙂 

Agree. Lobster 🦞 every meal. 
In fact, they kept bringing us two tails at a time. We protested (well… not a lot) but enjoyed every bite.

Kiddo and DH say the burgers and fries are amazing. 
I loved the salmon and the kale salad. Just fantastic. 
Never had a bad meal - and the Getaway Haven staff are wonderful. 
Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Beware of booking out of NOLA.  First find out when Mardi Gras is, then book a different time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

Beware of booking out of NOLA.  First find out when Mardi Gras is, then book a different time.

Good to know.  From the cruisetimetables site, appears Breakaway is the only one in port at that time.

6 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Good to know.  From the cruisetimetables site, appears Breakaway is the only one in port at that time.

Hotel pricing can fluctute wildly in NOLA. 

Lot's of third party booking sites book blocks of rooms, not just a Mardi Gras.

We sailed a couple of weeks after Mardi Gras in early March.  A Hampton Inn was booking at over $800 a night.  The Riverside Hilton was booked solid for weeks but then rooms opened  up a couple of weeks before our cruise when those 3rd party sites released their unsold rooms.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh my gosh! I could write an absolute multi-page thread on the Haven food. Mmmm, you're in for such a treat! And, Getaway...fantastic service! Hopefully your maitre d is Darius (from Poland) or Dusan (from Serbia). They're both great! But, it's been awhile since I sailed Getaway so who knows if they're even there. Anyway, the food!

I enjoy ordering my Eggs Benedict, with crab cakes, instead of ham. It can sometimes be a chore explaining exactly what I want as I still want the English Muffin, egg, and sauce. Just sub crab cake for ham. For some reason, in December this did really confuse the maitre d, but this is the photo of what I received on that trip. Perfection!

20230107_093841.thumb.jpg.046d8092fd064c8c9c2bdf71efbb9c27.jpg

I have a Crab Cake Benedict delivered to my room every morning 🙂 .

• Like 1