Cancel due to Covid

SECdawg

We need to cancel our upcoming cruise due to my testing positive with Covid. We have insurance through NCL. Do I first reach out to NCL and cancel and then reach out to insurance? Any guidance will be appreciated. 

We had to cancel our February cruise the week of (for a family emergency) and cancelled with NCL first, then reached out to the travel insurance company.  

Hope you feel better soon!

2 hours ago, SECdawg said:

We need to cancel our upcoming cruise due to my testing positive with Covid. We have insurance through NCL. Do I first reach out to NCL and cancel and then reach out to insurance? Any guidance will be appreciated. 

When's your cruise?

If it's not until next week, you should be good to go.

2 hours ago, SECdawg said:

Thank you for being responsible. I'm sure the other passengers and crew appreciate people like you who still take Covid seriously and don't want to risk others. I hope you recover quickly and are able to rebook another trip/cruise in the future.

Edited by genealogyfan
  • Like 7

Most insurance will require you to have a doctor certify that you were advised not to travel due to medical issues. Make sure you are in contact with your doctor and they know you have tested positive.

When I cancelled my cruise last September because of Covid I canceled with NCL. Then I contacted the insurance company. They sent me a form for my doctor to complete. My doctor completed it, and then I submitted that form along with other documentation the insurance company required (original invoice from NCL, amount of refund from NCL, and a letter from NCL verifying that I had canceled and that $XXX was non-refundable).  It took about two months to get my money back.

Yes, make sure all the details are covered.  Such as your doctor will provide the documentation.  One person cancelled because of a broken leg and then their doctor would not provide documentation stating they could not travel.  They thought just because they did not want to travel with a cast on that would be good enough.  Also if your cruise is on Sunday, you could fly on Sat. vs. Friday as you plan.  The insurance might require that you fly on Sat??

Do you have "Cancel for any reason" insurance?  Might need to use it if you just decide you don't want to deal with the details.

And as fshagan says a claim with take alot of time and alot of documentation.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have a positive test from my urgent care yesterday. We will attempt to file and see what happens. Hopefully we can recoup some money from flights or cruise. Getting on a 9 hour flight on Friday is definitely not going to happen. 

1 minute ago, SECdawg said:

Thanks for all of the replies. I have a positive test from my urgent care yesterday. We will attempt to file and see what happens. Hopefully we can recoup some money from flights or cruise. Getting on a 9 hour flight on Friday is definitely not going to happen. 

Get well soon!

The big thing is that “there is no more COVID”. With the cancellation of the health emergency, a lot of the exceptions for COVID are now ended. 

For insurance, read the requirements for filing a claim NOW and make sure that you have the required documentation. A simple affirmation that you tested positive with a home test may not qualify you for an insurance claim. 

While NCL does not want COVID on their ship, Aon (the people who issued your insurance policy) will do everything in their power to avoid paying a claim. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1