REDICULOUS NCL Policy

NoobCroozer

On 5/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, RRSeeker said:

I will say my Citicard was denied several times if I didn’t notify them I was traveling. I learned to always put a travel notice on my cards after that. Embarrassing, yes but easy to fix since they text me every time I was denied I could always respond “yes” to the text and have the person run the charge again.

If I didn’t have cell service that would be an issue.  Never hurts to put a travel notice on your account just in case.

Thanks, but there was no issues with the credit cards themselves. They worked perfectly in port, as I notified them prior to leaving the states.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:48 PM, MoCruiseFan said:

What was there to be embarrassed about?  The fact he might have chosen to be embarrassed is 100% on him.

To each his own. I am a big boy, I don't embarrass easily having been in law enforcement over 31 years. But I do get embarrassed when I'm surrounded by friends and strangers and it's broadcast "your card is declined" THREE times and "don't worry, my boss has your dinner covered", when there was nothing the matter with said (credit) card. Was strictly based on the different name on the room key. 

This post wasn't to extract a "whoa is me" attitude, but as information to help others avoid the trials and tribulations that happened to me. I have since changed Ed to Edward (fictitious) on said credit card to match my passport.

• Like 2

Understand the frustration.  Not on a cruise ship, but had some hotel issues with the same problem a while back.  My ID said one name (using my middle initial) and my credit card not using my middle initial and declined as a result.  Took a week to get it straightened out, but not fun.

I don’t get embarrassed all that easily.  So, no harm-no foul.  It was taken care of.  Still, it was a hassle.

As an aside, I always plan redundancy.  If I used one credit card to book the cruise (let’s say AMEX), I bring that along.  But, if something like this were to happen, I have 2 other CCs with me….one Visa and MAsterCard.  I also have 2 IDs…one with my middle initial (Passport) and one without (Passport card).

Edited by graphicguy

31 minutes ago, NoobCroozer said:

Thanks, but there was no issues with the credit cards themselves. They worked perfectly in port, as I notified them prior to leaving the states.

But as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, did you tell the credit card company to expect the hold request from the cruise line?

This is the non-routine type of charge that will  often cause the authorization to be denied by the credit card holder.

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

But as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, did you tell the credit card company to expect the hold request from the cruise line?

This is the non-routine type of charge that will  often cause the authorization to be denied by the credit card holder.

I did not, sir. Like I said, the cards themselves were fine. NCL said they were fine. Just didn't like the verbiage on the cards.

Edited by NoobCroozer

31 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I have been telling the credit card companies, but they keep saying that that is no longer necessary.

• Like 3

My DH has Jr on his passport, I would like it gone since his father died years ago. I understood that the Jr wasn't applicable at that point. We just renewed his passport and just left the name as is for simplicity.

Some of my ids have my middle initial but my passport has my maiden name since I have no true middle name. It has never been a problem and hopefully won't be in the future. Everything is on my CC so the Jr shouldn't be an issue, I hope.🫣😬

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I have been telling the credit card companies, but they keep saying that that is no longer necessary.

Until you decide to cruise on MSC and the request comes in from the French bank that MSC uses....

Sounds like quite a mess on NCL's part. I see where the names were confusing to NCL, but you were there in person, they had dealt with it the first time, they'd said it was resolved, and yet it came up again. That's their fault. Terrible customer service. 

My ex-husband ran into that one time at Sears. He had a credit card that said Joe. He had to show his driver's license which said Jose. The sales clerk said he couldn't accept the credit card because it was a different name. Despite the fact that the Sears credit card was under the same address as what was on the driver's license. This was in California, where everyone knows that Joe/Joseph is the English version of Jose. The sales clerk was Latino, too, so he likely knew that. A lot of Latino kids had opted for Americanized nicknames of the names their parents gave them. My ex was so annoyed. He called the manager and the manager apologized profusely and accepted the credit card. My ex made the sales clerk carry his purchase to his car and put it in the trunk. 

Edited by njsmom
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, njsmom said:

My ex made the sales clerk carry his purchase to his car and put it in the trunk. 😂

Yikes.  Was your ex not a nice, understanding, forgiving person?  How would the clerk know what address was on the credit card?  I would think that a "profuse" apology from the manager would be enough for most of us.  I must have been mistaken.

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yikes.  Was your ex not a nice, understanding, forgiving person?  How would the clerk know what address was on the credit card?  I would think that a "profuse" apology from the manager would be enough for most of us.  I must have been mistaken.

No, he was not particularly forgiving. Hence the fact that he became an ex. He would get very angry and upset over such situations. Stress was not his friend. He died from a stroke at age 49. 😞

Edited by njsmom

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Until you decide to cruise on MSC and the request comes in from the French bank that MSC uses....

That is not a problem I in any way intend to have.

And I do tell my credit card companies even though they say it is no longer necessary.

My first and last name are so long that the credit cards sometimes just leave off a letter or two at the end.  I'll make sure never to bring that card on an NCL cruise!  There were never enough boxes for the letters when filling out the form for SAT/ACT college testing either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JennKach said:

My first and last name are so long that the credit cards sometimes just leave off a letter or two at the end.  I'll make sure never to bring that card on an NCL cruise!  There were never enough boxes for the letters when filling out the form for SAT/ACT college testing either.

This is true for my street address, 28 characters jncluding 3 spaces.

• Like 1

Just stepped off NCL.  My credit cards do not match up, but I had no problems booking excursions, etc.

I'm sorry you had to endure this.  Not once, not twice, but three times.  Standing in line at guest services is not how one would like to spend their precious cruise.  Especially repeatedly for the same issue.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, RRSeeker said:

I will say my Citicard was denied several times if I didn’t notify them I was traveling. I learned to always put a travel notice on my cards after that. Embarrassing, yes but easy to fix since they text me every time I was denied I could always respond “yes” to the text and have the person run the charge again.

If I didn’t have cell service that would be an issue.  Never hurts to put a travel notice on your account just in case.

Called Wells Fargo, got a recorded message that I no longer need to tell them of my travel plans.  Card was refused on Cyprus. 

23 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Called Wells Fargo, got a recorded message that I no longer need to tell them of my travel plans.  Card was refused on Cyprus. 

My card was always denied in Canada unless I called before travel. I just add a travel notice on the app. Pre-pandemic we went to Canada a couple times a year so it was not an unusual type of charge on my account but I was always denied if I didn’t put the notice on my card.

My Sam’s Club Mastercard and PNC visa also have a place for travel notifications on their app.  I gather Wells Fargo stopped requiring notices but maybe check the app and see if it is listed under services. 

As an alternative to putting down a credit card NCL allows you to use traveler's checks or cash as a deposit against onboard charges. If your credit card is declined for the name issue I would think you could go to an ATM machine onboard to withdraw cash for a deposit.

18 minutes ago, PegNRay said:

As an alternative to putting down a credit card NCL allows you to use traveler's checks or cash as a deposit against onboard charges. If your credit card is declined for the name issue I would think you could go to an ATM machine onboard to withdraw cash for a deposit.

That should be an option only if none other exists. If it is using a credit card, it will be treated as a cash advance and be very, very costly.