They have destroyed the Crows Nest

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Lots of books, but it looks like only about two dozen titles. Better than nothing, but not a properly curated library. Of course, that takes time and somebody paying attention to the selection. This looks like someone bought cases of books off a best-seller list at wholesale prices and sent 6 or 7 to each ship.  I could probably borrow these new books hard copy or e-reader from my local library. I want to browse and find something new or different. Like @fatcat04, I'm a book nerd and love real libraries. 

While travel books would be nice, someone who hasn't done their pre-cruise research will likely grab them and keep them for the duration. Cunard has a librarian who checks out books, and IIRC, puts cruise-specific books on hold to be used only in the library, so everyone has a chance to see them. 

It's not just titles off of current bestseller lists.  This I can assure you, as I almost never read current bestseller fiction.  I discovered a great collection of short stories by Daphne du Maurier.  DH found some good nautical history stuff.  

If I could detect a common thread in the selections, it would be that many of the books connect to places the ships go.  Du Maurier country would be an example.

That's why I call the library well-curated.  It does look more like a bookstore than a library, but some people like bookstores as well as libraries.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I actually agree with this, The Crow's Nest never seemed very welcoming to me. Most of the chairs were taken by the same people for hours on end. I think a renovation was done to also move these people along.

They did have a happy hour there, at one time.  I remember people in the crow's nest knitting away and reading and  acting really annoyed when we showed up for happy hour.  I suppose we were laughing and making happy hour noise. We pretty much laughed at the absurdity of that

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, albingirl said:

They did have a happy hour there, at one time.  I remember people in the crow's nest knitting away and reading and  acting really annoyed when we showed up for happy hour.  I suppose we were laughing and making happy hour noise. We pretty much laughed at the absurdity of that

Yes, happy hour and a number of other things.  It was always sort of a flex space.  Years ago I recall a stage for evening entertainment?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Did some ships have a piano up there?

Yes.  In fact, my favorite HAL ship, the Prinsendam, used the Crows Nest as their piano bar with nightly piano/singing.  As I mentioned in another post, when the folks at CCL designed the Seabourn vessels, they included a lounge which was patterned after the Crows Nest.  It is a very popular place on Seabourn, because it has an inviting bar, comfy seating, great views, and entertainment (usually a piano and singer or some other duo).  When we first cruised on Seabourn, it took me a few days to realize that their Observation Bar (their version of the Crows Nest) felt like home because it was very similar to what we loved on the Prinsendam.  Unlike HAL, Seabourn has left their Observation Bar (on each ship) intact.

Back in 2017 we did the Voyage of the Vikings cruise on the Rotterdam (the previous version of that vessel) and the Crow's Nest was used for the nightly BB King sets.  Those shows were well attended by some passengers and many of the crew (especially the folks that worked in the shops) because it was the place for late night entertainment/dancing.  

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Did some ships have a piano up there?

Just the Prinsendam to the best of my recollection.  the Crow’s Nest was packed and there was usually a happy hour around 9 or 10 too 👍 

Rotterdam had the BBKings in the Crow’s Nest when we were on in 2018.  The place was busy and a happy hour was there too.  Place was busy until closing.  Then BBKings was taken off the Rotterdam shortly thereafter 😔 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

we  found the selection of non-fiction to be quite adequate on the Eurodam, as well  DH, who is an avid reader, spent most of our 10-day cruise reading the history of the Vikings.  As for travel books, that is the last thing I want to read while on a cruise.  By the time that I have boarded, I have studied all the travel info that I want, at least for the time being.  Instead of criticising HAL's new libraries, I am so grateful that they are being rejuvenated and also that there is a section for used books.  Can't we give HAL a little bit of credit for responding to years of criticism for removing the former libraries

Gosh I always read travel books when I'm travelling - for the next destination - and I agree its good that libraries are coming back 

• Like 1