Man Overboard - Carnival Magic

StephPS79

To be honest, this is all very fishy. He goes overboard at 4:10am and she doesn't report him missing until "late afternoon" and within hours of this, she has a Go Fund Me for his funeral? I've been on the Magic and many other ships. One doesn't just fall overboard. It just doesn't add up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

To be honest, this is all very fishy. He goes overboard at 4:10am and she doesn't report him missing until "late afternoon" and within hours of this, she has a Go Fund Me for his funeral? I've been on the Magic and many other ships. One doesn't just fall overboard. It just doesn't add up.

I agree. Out of all the man overboard stories we’ve heard, this one strikes me as pretty fishy. 
And I totally agree that she can still have a ceremony for him, but needing a $20k go fund me to do so? Seems a bit much. I guess she could be wanting to do a tombstone? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

“This fundraiser is no longer accepting donations”. It closed at $1,055.  Comments have been removed. 

Amazing it even got there.  Guess ya never know until ya try.  

On 5/31/2023 at 9:14 AM, Crusin Hogs said:

There is 1 hole in this whole story  The Magic has deck 5 that comes out  10-15ft  past the sides of the ship.  There are no balcony's below deck 5     

does the magic have cove balconies on deck 2   (where railings dont come up as high as a regular balcony railing 

7 minutes ago, serene56 said:

does the magic have cove balconies on deck 2   (where railings dont come up as high as a regular balcony railing 

I had a cove balcony on the Magic and the railing did seem  to be the same height.

34 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

Cabin 2281...looks lower to me a bit.

CarCov228-3345-1638669371.webp

Thank you for the photo. I agree, it does look lower than most railings, which would explain why the mom kept saying the railing was only 36.5 inches. This does seem like it’s easier to lean over too far. 

23 minutes ago, travelingtink said:

Thank you for the photo. I agree, it does look lower than most railings, which would explain why the mom kept saying the railing was only 36.5 inches. This does seem like it’s easier to lean over too far. 

Given the magic isn't a new ship the railing whether lower than others, is to CODE. There's something called personal responsibility. Someone can take a steak knife and hurt themselves and others. Everything one comes in contact with can be harmful or deadly if not used properly for it's intended purpose. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Given the magic isn't a new ship the railing whether lower than others, is to CODE. There's something called personal responsibility. Someone can take a steak knife and hurt themselves and others. Everything one comes in contact with can be harmful or deadly if not used properly for it's intended purpose. 

Of course it’s to code, not faulting Carnival at all. Just seeing the visual made me understand why the family thought the railings were lower. It probably just appears/feels lower because of the slanted design.

Edited by travelingtink

3 hours ago, hard_eight said:

Don't know that it was that specific cabin, just an example of the balconies on deck 2.

So we know the guy was on deck 2?   Just curious.  Earlier posts indicated he might have been higher up.

13 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

So we know the guy was on deck 2?   Just curious.  Earlier posts indicated he might have been higher up.

No but, we were speculating here that anything higher he would have landed on Deck 5

1 hour ago, hard_eight said:

No but, we were speculating here that anything higher he would have landed on Deck 5

Correct, this ship has that deck 5 that juts out and wraps around the majority of the ship. So if you fell over a balcony above deck 5 I feel like unless you truly jumped with the intent to land in the water (is that possible?) you would have landed on the lanai. 

Found this picture online - Magic cove. They look like normal height people. There's no way to just fall over that rail, unless you're really tall. We've sailed in coves numerous times, and it would be impossible for my 5'10" hubby to lean over and fall.

Screenshot_20230601-173718~2.png

Edited by mjmiller
  • Like 5

On 5/31/2023 at 9:14 AM, Crusin Hogs said:

There is 1 hole in this whole story  The Magic has deck 5 that comes out  10-15ft  past the sides of the ship.  There are no balcony's below deck 5     

EXACTLY!…When I was on the celebration …we commented on how if someone even jumped….never mind “fell” they wouldn’t end up in the water…they would end up on that extended deck….so ..ya…I don’t know how that happened

• Like 1