Transfer from ship to hotel in Venice

luv2ndhalf

Those of us who have been following the development of cruise ships in Venice (or dismantling, in this case) are well aware of the subterfuge used by all of the cruise lines when they discuss Venice as a port.  For those new to European cruising, however, it can come as a shock.  Other, less egregious examples are calling a stop Florence when they are actually porting in Livorno (55 miles away) or worse, La Spezia (90 miles away), or Rome when the port is Civitavecchia (70 miles away).

• Like 1

The St. Regis is in a popular location, right on the Grand Canal.  Now you'll start learning the complexities of getting around in Venice.

Assuming you are willing to pay the fare, a car service can get you as far as Piazzale Roma in Venice, the end of the paved road system.  

From there to the St. Regis isn't all that far (one and a quarter miles, in what approximates a straight line in Venice), but unless you are a professional sherpa it's not comfortable dragging or carrying luggage through the streets and across bridges, all teeming with seemingly endless crowds of tourists.

So your next decision is whether to use public transit (the vaporetto) from Piazzale Roma to the hotel, which will include a walk of about a third of a mile from the vaporetto stop to the hotel, or to spend the money for a private water taxi that can drop you off right at the hotel.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv2ndhalf said:

We are docking in Ravenna....Staying at the St Regis in Venice. It never dawned on me the distance from port to hotel 😞

Any suggestions for things to see along the way?

Best (and quickest) bet is going to be a car service to Piazzale Roma and then from there hire a water taxi which will take you to the canal entrance of the St Regis. 

Pro tip-- just wait and flag down a water taxi driver when you get there. We were staying at the St Regis' sister property, the Gritti Palace, last time and asked their concierge to prearrange a water taxi from the train station to the hotel (figuring this would make things run smoother) and it was marked up like 30% vs what the water taxi will charge you direct. 

• Thanks 1

We are also looking for transportation from Ravenna to Venice (Hotel Santa Chiara). Any recommendations are appreciated. We’re too old to do the train so prefer car services or taxi, that won’t be outrageous. I’ve seen some in the $800-$1000, seems like a lot.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blue92064 said:

We’re too old to do the train so prefer car services or taxi, that won’t be outrageous. I’ve seen some in the $800-$1000, seems like a lot.

Download an app called Blacklane. Its a high end car service aggregator that does all the work for you. We used it extensively in Italy a few months ago and always had great experiences. All communication is done through the app and our driver was always there early and waiting for us. 

Just ran it in the app and a car service from the cruise terminal in Ravenna to Piazzale Roma would be 557 Euros in an E Class Mercedes or you can upgrade to an S Class Mercedes for 1154 Euros. 

The E Class (Business Class in their app) selection isn't cheap, but it will be less than the $800-1000 you are getting quotes for. Also their pricing is all inclusive-- tips, tolls, taxes, parking etc are included. You just get in and out of the car. 

• Thanks 1

We are also looking for transportation from Ravenna to Venice (Hotel Santa Chiara). Any recommendations are appreciated. We’re too old to do the train so prefer car services or taxi, that won’t be outrageous. I’ve seen some in the $800-$1000, seems like a lot.

Thanks so much for the details on Blacklane! I’ll check it out.

I know everyone on this thread has asked about private car transfers.  But I remind people that the cruise lines generally offer an affordable bus transfer from Ravenna into Venice.  Once in Venice you then need to figure out further transport from the drop off location to your hotel.  The final totals are likely less than you will pay for a private transfer (which may not be able to get you to your hotel door either).

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I know everyone on this thread has asked about private car transfers.  But I remind people that the cruise lines generally offer an affordable bus transfer from Ravenna into Venice.  Once in Venice you then need to figure out further transport from the drop off location to your hotel.  The final totals are likely less than you will pay for a private transfer (which may not be able to get you to your hotel door either).

The above is a good idea.

I believe you may be on Celebrity, which I sailed out of Ravenna last October. The approximately $80 bus transfer through Celebrity from Venice (city not airport) to Ravenna was a huge difference to paying 500 euros for a private transfer. The reverse is also offered.

I don't mind bus transfers, but even if they aren't your normal go-to, it may be worth considering simply due to the cost savings and convenience in this case.

Just FYI, these transfers are not available to book online -- you have to call directly (or have your TA do it).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

This is a very sound response.  

On 6/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, Blue92064 said:

Thanks so much for the details on Blacklane! I’ll check it out.

Www.vqtravels.com

highly recommended.  €445 bus that took 6 

Edited by little britain

• 2 weeks later...

Several mentions of Flixbus ... we're transferring from Trieste to Venice.  Website looks great so I'll be checking out the reviews.  I like seeing the countryside from high up in a bus.  

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Several mentions of Flixbus ... we're transferring from Trieste to Venice.  Website looks great so I'll be checking out the reviews.  I like seeing the countryside from high up in a bus.  

I cruised from Trieste last Sept.  Took the train TO Trieste but post cruise took Flixbus from Trieste to VCE since we had an early flight out the next morning.  Non stop, maybe 2 hrs.  No complaints ! (they also go to Tronchetto in Venice.) Just be aware that the bus depot is about a 15-20 minute walk from the cruise pier. It's on the same block as the train station.

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

We just used this company and were very happy with them.  It was just 2 of us so I found other people to share and split the cost.  Same price for up to 6 and a little higher for 8.  We used them from Ravenna tut they also do from Trieste NCC VIM Transfer-Veaceslav Sambra on WhatsApp +393208743510

On 6/2/2023 at 9:49 AM, Blue92064 said:

I believe that Hotel Santa Chiara is right off the Palazzo Roma. I noticed it when we were there a couple weeks back. So if you take a car to that point your walk would be very short. 

4 hours ago, cruisinginapril2012 said:

We just used this company and were very happy with them.  It was just 2 of us so I found other people to share and split the cost.  Same price for up to 6 and a little higher for 8.  We used them from Ravenna tut they also do from Trieste NCC VIM Transfer-Veaceslav Sambra on WhatsApp +393208743510

Thanks for this.  I use my computer for this stuff.  Do they have a company name and a website?  Always good to get personal recommendations.

Bus ride from Porto Corsini in Ravenna to Tronchetto (opposite Pizzale Roma) was about 2.5 hours.  We did not (I was sailing with Royal) make a comfort stop and there were no restrooms on the bus.

The actual debarkation and getting to the bus at the port was fairly organized.  I was originally staying at the Hotel Rialto, spent one night and moved to the JW Marriott.  Tiny European hotel rooms and I are not friends, especially when your knees hit the wall when using the toilet but I digress.

I prebooked a water taxi to the hotel with this company https://www.motoscafivenezia.com/en/.

I think it was around 100€ and it was very easy.  The boat drivers are very helpful with luggage and in helping you get on and off the boat.  That said, some hotels (like the JW's water taxi dock) don't float so at low tide, you'll have big steps onto the boat.  The return to the airport was about 150€.  Those prices are per boat and it'll hold several people plus luggage.  It's not cheap but honestly, YOLO, I'll probably never go to Venice again and it IS a really cool way to see things.

I did use the Vaporetto to get around and while people do use it with luggage, it can get crowded and you likely still won't be able to avoid some luggage hauling and steps up and down bridges.

I did see both the Gritti Palace and St. Regis and the water taxis stop directly at the door.  

One of the issues on our cruise, and the ones a couple weeks before, were closed rail lines due to the flooding, and then the day our cruise ended, June 4, people had cancelled flights due to the strikes.  Check for strikes during your sailing.  There may be some every week.  Just google Italian Airport strike, or Europe Airport strikes so you're prepared.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, megr1125 said:

Bus ride from Porto Corsini in Ravenna to Tronchetto (opposite Pizzale Roma) was about 2.5 hours.  We did not (I was sailing with Royal) make a comfort stop and there were no restrooms on the bus.

The actual debarkation and getting to the bus at the port was fairly organized.  I was originally staying at the Hotel Rialto, spent one night and moved to the JW Marriott.  Tiny European hotel rooms and I are not friends, especially when your knees hit the wall when using the toilet but I digress.

I prebooked a water taxi to the hotel with this company https://www.motoscafivenezia.com/en/.

I think it was around 100€ and it was very easy.  The boat drivers are very helpful with luggage and in helping you get on and off the boat.  That said, some hotels (like the JW's water taxi dock) don't float so at low tide, you'll have big steps onto the boat.  The return to the airport was about 150€.  Those prices are per boat and it'll hold several people plus luggage.  It's not cheap but honestly, YOLO, I'll probably never go to Venice again and it IS a really cool way to see things.

I did use the Vaporetto to get around and while people do use it with luggage, it can get crowded and you likely still won't be able to avoid some luggage hauling and steps up and down bridges.

I did see both the Gritti Palace and St. Regis and the water taxis stop directly at the door.  

One of the issues on our cruise, and the ones a couple weeks before, were closed rail lines due to the flooding, and then the day our cruise ended, June 4, people had cancelled flights due to the strikes.  Check for strikes during your sailing.  There may be some every week.  Just google Italian Airport strike, or Europe Airport strikes so you're prepared.   

Was this a Flix bus?  Are you sure there were no restrooms?  I thought that when we were half way between Trieste and Venice, then I saw someone getting up and going downstairs.  I realized there were toilets.  

Flooding was not expected.  Closed train lines are not going to happen regularly because of flooding. 

1 minute ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Was this a Flix bus?  Are you sure there were no restrooms?  I thought that when we were half way between Trieste and Venice, then I saw someone getting up and going downstairs.  I realized there were toilets.  

Flooding was not expected.  Closed train lines are not going to happen regularly because of flooding. 

I believe OP is referring to the Royal Caribbean shuttle. I had virtually the same experience last October with the Celebrity shuttle to Ravenna from Venice (no comfort stop, no toilets onboard, about the same amount of time).

There is a public restroom at the Tronchetto parking area for those wanting to go before boarding. That was handy as we had to wait quite a while after checking in before they boarded us. (And we also had to sit on the bus when we arrived at the port for probably another 30 minutes due to an unannounced port inspection that was ongoing.... 🙄)

• Like 3

What is anybody thinking with a 2.5hr plus trip and no stops?  I understand the logistics, but engaging busses with onboard facilities should be mandatory for any trip over an hour.  At the very least, RCL should have informed everyone of the situation when they booked the shuttle.  Early morning trips on busses with no facilities is medieval.  Many thanks for the warning!

5 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

At the very least, RCL should have informed everyone of the situation when they booked the shuttle.  Early morning trips on busses with no facilities is medieval.  Many thanks for the warning!

It didn't bother me, but some people were pretty fed up. Especially since the Celebrity staff person who gave us a short spiel once on the bus told us that there WOULD be a stop....

It's pretty much been my experience that any touring buses in Europe either don't have a lav or don't want you to use it. I suspect the drivers don't like cleaning them...  This has been true everywhere from Turkey, Israel and Egypt right round the world to Japan and Taiwan (my most recent trip).