has statue of liberty been standard on NJ cruises?

luckyinpa

• 2 months later...

Often possible but is dependent on Traffic.   

We were on cruise a couple years ago -  Boston to Broadway TransAtlantic with an overnight in Manhattan.   Incredible trip and we definitely came in close to Lady Liberty.    It was incredible to view from the Helipad

Edited by Jim_Iain

It is in viewing distance of the port when the ship is docked.  We would dine in Sushi on 5 and look at it when dining.

It isn’t  a part of the cruise.  Some Captains may make a sail by.  It depends on the traffic, and current and future weather conditions.   It cannot go around it.    One time we left the port early as it was needed to avoid some very bad weather that was brewing and coming in.  

Funny thing is everyone makes a big deal on the sail away but it is yesterdays news when sailing back.   Same as the Verrazano  Bridge.  No one is out when sailing under it on the way back. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 hour ago, miched said:

Funny thing is everyone makes a big deal on the sail away but it is yesterdays news when sailing back.   Same as the Verrazano  Bridge.  No one is out when sailing under it on the way back. 

Speak for yourself. 😊. I’m up. 

This is from our most recent sail-in, in February. It was a misty, drizzly morning. 

IMG_3294.thumb.jpeg.5a172a9f66cf0d72341b3a96074d6b18.jpeg

(photo by turtles06) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miched said:

Funny thing is everyone makes a big deal on the sail away but it is yesterdays news when sailing back.   Same as the Verrazano  Bridge.  No one is out when sailing under it on the way bac

I am, walking the track. 

• Like 1

Just now, deliver42 said:

I usually watch the sailaways Sunday afternoon on PZT. The Summit almost always goes around the statue, but Royal doesn't, probably because the Oasis is too big.

Bummer. We did in 2009 on the Explorer.

The Statue of Liberty can be seen from a ship docked in Bayonne.  I took this early in the morning of November 4, 2015 from the deck of Anthem of the Seas, which had just completed her inaugural transatlantic from Southampton.  

image.thumb.jpeg.2d2e99dfa23376ca79f733e954dd403b.jpeg

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Speak for yourself. 😊. I’m up. 

This is from our most recent sail-in, in February. It was a misty, drizzly morning. 

IMG_3294.thumb.jpeg.5a172a9f66cf0d72341b3a96074d6b18.jpeg

(photo by turtles06) 

That is the statue.   Were you under the bridge?   I said no one is out under it when sailing back, not the statue.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

On 6/4/2023 at 12:15 PM, JFontaine said:

One thing you will pass exiting and entering the port is the Tear Drop Memorial at the end of the pier. Be on the lookout, and you can read about it on the internet. How times have changed. 

I've done both. The Statue Of Liberty was taken from the NJ side when I was on Celebrity Summit with my Samsung camera that has a 36x zoom. I was standing at the top of the ship. The Empire State Building is also there.

Been on Anthem twice and passed the Teardrop Memorial both times. 

Both, as you can see, are sights to see, but are entirely dependent on weather and traffic. Without permission from officials to pass, not everyone can take those routes 

SAM_0423.jpg

20220424_155756.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Both, as you can see, are sights to see, but are entirely dependent on weather and traffic. Without permission from officials to pass, not everyone can take those routes 

Yep, they have to get permission from the Harbor Master. 

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The Statue of Liberty can be seen from a ship docked in Bayonne.  I took this early in the morning of November 4, 2015 from the deck of Anthem of the Seas, which had just completed her inaugural transatlantic from Southampton.  

image.thumb.jpeg.2d2e99dfa23376ca79f733e954dd403b.jpeg

(photo by turtles06)

Very cool photo. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, miched said:

That is the statue.   Were you under the bridge?   I said no one is out under it when sailing back, not the statue.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You said the Statue was “yesterday’s news” on sail-in. 😂

But yes, I was under the Bridge as well. 😊

IMG_3254.thumb.jpeg.b9ddbc47a6eb0d4954c6628b88322b5f.jpeg

IMG_3264.thumb.jpeg.0f4545a1fd2a08733762c0729ecc6232.jpeg

IMG_3269.thumb.jpeg.a47ebd62d91b728c94309fbb45131fb1.jpeg

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 2

Just to add…if you are sailing out of cape liberty - I would recommend coming in early and doing the full tour of Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty. It’s very simple to book. If you do do Ellis island, get the audio tour…it’s great. For the statue, you can climb up to different heights depending on what you were up for. Great day if you can fit it into your schedule. 

• Like 1