has statue of liberty been standard on NJ cruises?

luckyinpa

was looking at last minute summit cruises and they specifically put statue of liberty on the itinerary. i'm assuming they paid for the extra to do this but was wondering if this was standard for their NJ cruises? i know royal sometimes did it on the last trip of a particular ships season there.

of course NCL and others toss this in for 'free'  🙂

20 minutes ago, boblin said:

Just got off Summit  and we were not treated to a closeup of S. of L. on departure. I had read some captains do loop around to give better view of it, but not this time.

but was it on your itinerary to do it?  it's on the entire month of june for summit. which to me seems like it's a commitment and been planned out with the pilot,, costs more, permission etc.

Edited by luckyinpa

When cruising from Bayonne port, your view of the Statue of Liberty will be from a distance.  It will be from the rear, then the side as you pass by.

Unless the ship turns into the Hudson River Channel through the harbor, you will not get a closer front view.

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

was looking at last minute summit cruises and they specifically put statue of liberty on the itinerary. i'm assuming they paid for the extra to do this but was wondering if this was standard for their NJ cruises? i know royal sometimes did it on the last trip of a particular ships season there.

If you have the time today, you should watch Summit's sail away out of Cape Liberty at 4pm EDT.  Here is the Port of New York webcam that will track Summit as she sails away from the pier and under the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge.  

Another useful website to monitor during the sailaway is MarineTraffic which allows you to Summit's sail away on a map and it will give you a clearer idea as to see the ship's position relative to the Statue of Liberty as she sails.  The link to MarineTraffic is also at the bottom of the Port of New York webcam page.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

It is the intention to pass by the Statue of Liberty but wanted to point out that on occasion due to weather and ship traffic the cruise lines are sometimes denied this route.    I was on one such cruise last year.  

It is a not to be missed moment if you get to sail by her.

• Like 2

When Captain Kate was on the Summit we cruised up to the statue.  She turned the ship around so both sides could view it.   It was wonderful.  We sailed twice with her on Summit when she did  this but one time she did not because there were too many boats close to the statue.

It was not on our itinerary.

3 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

There is not a matter of cost. The ship must get permission from the NewYork Harbor Master. Because of marine traffic and weather conditions they can't always get permission. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marycruz said:

When Captain Kate was on the Summit we cruised up to the statue.  She turned the ship around so both sides could view it.   It was wonderful.  We sailed twice with her on Summit when she did  this but one time she did not because there were too many boats close to the statue.

I was on the Summit the first time they ever got permission from the Harbor master.  It was Captain Leo who got it. I think it was his idea. He announced it was the first time. Captain Leo was the Captain before Captain Kate.

Edited by Charles4515

35 minutes ago, marycruz said:

Whether or not the ship can get close to the Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with who the Captain is. 
We have been able to get close and two occasions, both times the Captain gave both sides a good view, neither time was it Captain Kate.

23 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

One thing you will pass exiting and entering the port is the Tear Drop Memorial at the end of the pier. Be on the lookout, and you can read about it on the internet. How times have changed. 

I got my first glimpse of it when Summit returned to Cape Liberty in Aug 2010 and we were docked.  I walked out onto our balcony and it was glowing from the early morning sun light.  

image.thumb.jpeg.13d74d322f6b64a1134b40a9e29cfa8b.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

If you really want to visit the Statue of Liberty come to NJ the day prior to your cruise!  Its very easy to take the ferry from Jersey City to the Statue.  You can also visit Ellis Island as well.   That being said, I was on the Summit out of Bayonne last July and the Captain did a wonderful job getting close to the Statue.  It was a beautiful clear day and even this jaded, cynical native New Yorker who has been to the Statue on multiple occasions had a tear in her eye.  I hope you get there.  

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

Whether or not the ship can get close to the Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with who the Captain is. 
We have been able to get close and two occasions, both times the Captain gave both sides a good view, neither time was it Captain Kate.

Am I missing something here?  I never  intended it to sound like we went by the statue because of who the Captain was.   She happened to be the Captain of our cruise at the time.

7 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

NCL and "others" have to go past it since they dock up the Hudson in Manhattan. No way to get to the ocean without passing it.

OP had a smiley after their comment about NCL which you left off so I assumed they knew that and were joking but their comment about paying extra did make me wonder if they did understand that. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

OP had a smiley after their comment about NCL which you left off so I assumed they knew that and were joking but their comment about paying extra did make me wonder if they did understand that. 

The emoji just didn't copy for me for whatever reason.

10 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

When Summit sailed away this afternoon, she turned north to sail past the Statue of Liberty (black circle) before turning south to head to Bermuda.  Both sides of the ship got to see her.  I think there was a good view of Lower Manhattan as well.  

image.jpeg.b68bb8bad3314549a950c13e5892a68d.jpeg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, marycruz said:

Am I missing something here?  I never  intended it to sound like we went by the statue because of who the Captain was.   She happened to be the Captain of our cruise at the time.

You may not have intended it, but I also read your post the same way. You gave the impression that you felt Captain Kate was responsible. There was no other reason to mention her. 

• Like 1