Earliest walk off?

49 minutes ago, lulabelle said:

Coming back to Bayonne on the Oasis on a Friday in July.  Just found out I have a final test in the am in the Bronx.  How early can I do a walk off?  Thanks

We were just on Oasis a few weeks ago and self assist started at 6:30. Here is the departure information. 

image.thumb.jpg.54bf2b1ee8e8969b380897b1f58f666b.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3b1f10f1b165b1393401c91f0e3e5faa.jpg

The line will start forming about 6:30 ... as long as you're in it by 7:00 you'll get off pretty quickly, but nothing will make the line start moving sooner than the ship personnel are ready for it ... probably 7:10-7:15ish.  Once the line starts moving, it's FAST.  Specific thoughts: 

- This new facial recognition software is incredibly fast; I genuinely didn't realize I was "done" and could move on.  

- Pack lightly so you can manage your own suitcase in case there's an escalator /won't need to wait for the elevator.  

- We find we're usually in our car 7:30-7:40ish.  We always leave our car full of gas and parked "headed out" to make leaving as easy as possible.  

Are you flying once you leave the ship?  Do you have those plans in place?  

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The line will start forming about 6:30 ... as long as you're in it by 7:00 you'll get off pretty quickly, but nothing will make the line start moving sooner than the ship personnel are ready for it ... probably 7:10-7:15ish.  Once the line starts moving, it's FAST.  Specific thoughts: 

- This new facial recognition software is incredibly fast; I genuinely didn't realize I was "done" and could move on.  

- Pack lightly so you can manage your own suitcase in case there's an escalator /won't need to wait for the elevator.  

- We find we're usually in our car 7:30-7:40ish.  We always leave our car full of gas and parked "headed out" to make leaving as easy as possible.  

Are you flying once you leave the ship?  Do you have those plans in place?  

Not sure what ship you’re referring to as those times are not what we have experienced in Bayonne at all. The OP is not going to be flying from Bayonne to the Bronx either. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not sure what ship you’re referring to as those times are not what we have experienced in Bayonne at all. The OP is not going to be flying from Bayonne to the Bronx either. 

Winged Man Flying Image & Photo (Free Trial) | Bigstock

• Haha 1

Just off Liberty a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t open the doors until 7:45. It was a complete cluster ****. Seemed like the whole ship was doing self assist. The lines were insane at 7:00. I think they advertised 7:30 disembarkation. So if you’re on Liberty I wouldn’t count on being off before 8am.

10 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Just off Liberty a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t open the doors until 7:45. It was a complete cluster ****. Seemed like the whole ship was doing self assist. The lines were insane at 7:00. I think they advertised 7:30 disembarkation. So if you’re on Liberty I wouldn’t count on being off before 8am.

They are on Oasis which is scheduled to dock at 6am.  We were actually docked by 5:30am.  Liberty is scheduled to dock at 7am.  Bayonne definitely has a lot of people that self disembark!

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They are on Oasis which is scheduled to dock at 6am.  We were actually docked by 5:30am.  Liberty is scheduled to dock at 7am.  Bayonne definitely has a lot of people that self disembark!

Reading comprehension is obviously not my strong suit today😂 That was our first time on Liberty and was expecting an Oasis/Anthem disembarkation where I’m home by 8am so I wasn’t prepared for what we experienced. Good thing I’ve decided I’m sticking with the big girls going forward.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Reading comprehension is obviously not my strong suit today😂 That was our first time on Liberty and was expecting an Oasis/Anthem disembarkation where I’m home by 8am so I wasn’t prepared for what we experienced. Good thing I’ve decided I’m sticking with the big girls going forward.

We don't get in the self disembark line, we wait for it to clear and then head out.  As long as I am over the GW by 8am, I am happy. 🙂 We can be home before noon if the traffic cooperates.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not sure what ship you’re referring to as those times are not what we have experienced in Bayonne at all ... 

Independence and Explorer, both in the last six months.  

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

... Bayonne definitely has a lot of people that self disembark!

I think a lot of people self-disembark now.  Assuming you're able-bodied, it's the way to go. 

7 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Was on Liberty's first Bayonne sailing & disembarkation was not well organized, as you say. Would think it is organized by now.

4 minutes ago, meadowlander said:

Explorer last did about 9 years ago. Not sure Indy ever sailed from Bayonne.😉

Yes, I remember Explorer sailing from there, I don't think either of those ships have sailed from Bayonne recently though. 

We have sailed Oasis twice from Bayonne, most recently a few weeks ago.  With a 6am scheduled arrival time, the OP should be able to get to an exam in the Bronx as long as it isn't scheduled extremely early.  If the ship is delayed, all bets are off.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Just an FYI, ports have been using facial recognition software prior to COVID. Like you mentioned, it significantly decreases the debarkation process. 

12 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Independence and Explorer were sailing from Bayonne?

I didn't say from Bayonne.  I'm describing my experience with self-disembarkation on two different ships /saying the timing was roughly the same, so I think it's kinda standard.  

On a side note- the facial recognition easy breezy customs line is for passport holders.  If you are traveling with a birth certificate that is a different line.  And it can be a line- and a slow one at that!

22 hours ago, lulabelle said:

Coming back to Bayonne on the Oasis on a Friday in July.  Just found out I have a final test in the am in the Bronx.  How early can I do a walk off?  Thanks

When ship clears.  Make sure you don't put your luggage outside your room and do a self disembark.  Not sure when your final is but hopefully you can make it!  If you are worried and if you can, try to reschedule for at least 10am or noon. 

We actually had a similar situation once for one of my kids with a final the day we disembarked in Bayonne years ago.  He was able to move it to noon but it was a fun ride on the turnpike down to South Jersey!  

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I didn't say from Bayonne.  I'm describing my experience with self-disembarkation on two different ships /saying the timing was roughly the same, so I think it's kinda standard.  

It isn't kinda standard, Oasis is scheduled to dock at 6am (actually docked at 5:30) and self disembark is scheduled to start at 6:30.  Telling the OP the line starts at 6:30 and they should be okay if there in it by 7 and the line starts moving at 7:10 - 7:15 is way off. 

As per the departure information posted above, Self Disembark starts at 6:30am.  People were already in line before 6am.  Suite/Pinnacles and the Key were all scheduled to start at 6:45 but I saw the concierge loading the first group into the elevator just after 6:30 when we were going to Coastal Kitchen for breakfast.  First tag numbers were set for 6:45.

Different ports and even different ships at the same port have their own schedules.  As some posted, Liberty comes into Bayonne at 7am, thus their departure schedule is not the same as Oasis.  Even the schedule I posted from our very recent sailing on Oasis could be different by the time the OP sails next month.  We sailed Oasis last October and the times were all 15 minutes later but still before 7am for self disembark.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:33 AM, lulabelle said:

Depends on what time the ship is cleared at the port and when Customs is ready. Most of the times it’s around 7am. Last cruise we were on it was 8:45, in Miami, because of computer problems. Have a Plan B, just in case.