George C

12 hours ago, George C said:

1970’s - Rotterdam 

1980’s  - SS Norway

1990’s - Sovereign of the seas 

2000’s - Navigator of the seas

2010’s - MSC Seaside and Oasis

2020’s - Celebrity Edge  

That's a very interesting list of ships and evolution of tastes - both yours and the cruise lines.  Thank you for sharing.  I think you were on the Rotterdam V back in the 70s.  I sailed on the Rotterdam VI back in 2019.  It was OK.  I sailed on Navigator OTS earlier this year.  It was also OK.  I preferred it to the other Royal ship I've been on, sister Mariner OTS.

I haven't been sailing as long (just under a decade), so my list isn't as exciting.  Basically, it's Carnival Valor -> Carnival Liberty -> Carnival Horizon.  Honorable mention to the Celebrity Summit, which is a nice and recently updated ship that's of a size that music charter companies tend to favor.

• Like 1

Slightly different way of defining my time ranges; and I tend to have preferences for classes of ships rather than individuals ones (with one notable exception):

mid 70s to mid 80s -- Sitmar Fairwind and Fairsea, identical ships

mid 80s to mid 90s -- Didn't cruise much, early career & marriage

mid 90s to mid 2000s -- Celebrity Horizon and Century class

mid 2000s to 2010 -- Princess Grand class, good compromise for myself and teen son

2010 to 2020 -- Aegean Odyssey, tiny ship but wonderful itineraries in the Med & great enrichment

2020 to now -- ?? Have to say I don't have a particular favorite -- yet. I like small ships and they are getting scarce. I am trying two old Renaissance ships ("R-class") later this year: one owned by Oceania and one by Azamara; stay tuned. For mid-size I still like Celebrity M-class.

• Like 1

1960's - SS Oriana/Canberra

1970's - SS Uganda

1980's - MV Island/Pacific Princess (Love Boats) & Sun Princess (Spirit of London)

1990's - MV Sun Princess

2000's - MV Island/Coral Princess

2010's - MV Diamond/Sapphire Princess

2020's - MV Viking Sun

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Slightly different way of defining my time ranges; and I tend to have preferences for classes of ships rather than individuals ones (with one notable exception):

mid 70s to mid 80s -- Sitmar Fairwind and Fairsea, identical ships

mid 80s to mid 90s -- Didn't cruise much, early career & marriage

mid 90s to mid 2000s -- Celebrity Horizon and Century class

mid 2000s to 2010 -- Princess Grand class, good compromise for myself and teen son

2010 to 2020 -- Aegean Odyssey, tiny ship but wonderful itineraries in the Med & great enrichment

2020 to now -- ?? Have to say I don't have a particular favorite -- yet. I like small ships and they are getting scarce. I am trying two old Renaissance ships ("R-class") later this year: one owned by Oceania and one by Azamara; stay tuned. For mid-size I still like Celebrity M-class.

My first European cruise was on Renaissance fantastic ship seemed to be a mini sovereign of the seas , loved the adults only and non smoking, sad that they went under after 9/11. This cruise was March 2001.

• 2 weeks later...

1970's - Cunard QE2, Franconia - HAL Rotterdam - Italian Line Leonardo Da Vinci 

2000's - Cunard Queen Mary 2 - HAL Noordam 

2010's - RCCL Explorer, Anthem, Empress - Regal Princess - Celebrity Edge

2020's - RCCL Anthem - Emerald Princess 

Jonathan

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 11:46 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Agree with this decade’s selection.  I wonder if HAL’s Zaandam is being kept in shape.

1970s - NCL Sunward II

1980s - NCL Seaward / Norwegian Sea

1990s - Majesty of the Seas

2000s - Explorer of the Seas

2010s - Celebrity Eclipse

2020s - Ovation of the Seas 

I'll be cruising Celebrity Edge next year and I have a good feeling about that one taking the reign from Ovation.  🙂

• Like 1