QUEEN VICTORIA FORMAL NGHTS

Jailhousepete

Bit confused, Cruised with Cunard many times, but going on 16 July Fiords cruise and note that there is no formal wear required for gentlemen anymore on gala nights, anyone have update on this - dont want to arrive with wrong clothes

Edited by Jailhousepete

• Jailhousepete changed the title to QUEEN VICTORIA FORMAL NGHTS
9 minutes ago, Jailhousepete said:

Bit confused, Cruised with Cunard many times, but going on 16 July Fiords cruise and note that there is no formal wear required for gentlemen anymore on gala nights, anyone have update on this - dont want to arrive with wrong clothes

I think it depends how much of the ship you hope to access. Most, in fact a considerable majority of, men were in DJs on Gala nights on the cruise that ended today. But I didn’t venture into the Lido where things might have looked completely different.

30 minutes ago, Jailhousepete said:

Nothing has changed , 'Gala or Themed' evenings are still classified as Formal Evenings. If the guest does not want to enter into a sense of occasion on these evenings , then there are other venues set aside for those who prefer a more casual evening.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes that is what I thought ie if you didnt want to wear formal ie DJ you would need to use Lido faciiities etc. But the below is copied from my voyage personaliser packing tips - that is why i am confused:

Formal suits

Formal suits are only required on board a Transatlantic cruise on Gala Evenings and, even then, there’s no pressure to dress-up if you don’t want to. Most of our guests, however, relish the opportunity to put on a Tuxedo for one night and channel their James Bond alter-ego. 

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Perhaps someone who has been onboard recently could share the wording from the Daily Programme ? I'm hoping it's less ambiguous.

It's too late to have correct wording to daily programme,  if ambiguity in website results in people bringing wrong clothes can't pop home to get it.

Clearly (I hope) DJ or suits are still required on formal nights. Why does the Cunard website make such a mess of something so simple.

P

Formal suits are only required on board a Transatlantic cruise on Gala Evenings and, even then, there’s no pressure to dress-up if you don’t want to. Most of our guests, however, relish the opportunity to put on a Tuxedo for one night and channel their James Bond alter-ego.

A formal suit, shirt, and tie of any colour will also do just fine for Gala Evening. And if you want to embrace the theme in your outfit choice, well you’re more than welcome to do that too. We’ve had many gentlemen on board who’ve given their partners a run for their money when it comes to their Gala Evening attire. So feel free to be as lavish as you like.

it's the unnecessary addition of transatlantic that causes confusion.  Making people think it only applies to transatlantic cruises

And the next dress code speculation centers on Cunard’s wording for evening dress on the new QA. Maybe Cunard will come up with a new code for QA - modern chic attire?

Will Cunard abandon formal nights on QA to attract a different demographic while keeping tradition only on QM2 Crossings as they continue to confuse QV and QE passengers on how to prepare to dress?

Cunard needs to simplify all this: Formal night and semi-formal night. 

32 minutes ago, NE John said:

And the next dress code speculation centers on Cunard’s wording for evening dress on the new QA. Maybe Cunard will come up with a new code for QA - modern chic attire?

Will Cunard abandon formal nights on QA to attract a different demographic while keeping tradition only on QM2 Crossings as they continue to confuse QV and QE passengers on how to prepare to dress?

Cunard needs to simplify all this: Formal night and semi-formal night. 

They aren't keeping to traditions on QM2 we returned last week after roundtrip TA and was very disappointed with adherence of dress code. We have done a few roundtrips and recent one was worst for dress code. Smart Attire nights you could virtually wear what you wanted anywhere on the ship and on Formal nights there were many not wearing suits never mind tuxedos and some who had decided to not dress formally and eat in Kings Court still appeared in Commodore Club and Chart Room in the evening dressed very casually and still got served.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

They aren't keeping to traditions on QM2 we returned last week after roundtrip TA and was very disappointed with adherence of dress code. We have done a few roundtrips and recent one was worst for dress code. Smart Attire nights you could virtually wear what you wanted anywhere on the ship and on Formal nights there were many not wearing suits never mind tuxedos and some who had decided to not dress formally and eat in Kings Court still appeared in Commodore Club and Chart Room in the evening dressed very casually and still got served.

That’s a shame. DW and I are making a LME effort to look good onboard and it’s a chore to pack efficiently. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We’ve just come back from a Queen Victoria round Britain cruise and the compliance to the dress code was very well observed with almost all pax that I saw adhering to it. I was surprised to see the majority of men wearing jackets on Smart Attire nights even though it is now not a requirement, I had taken a blazer not sure if I was going to wear it or not but did so when I saw others wearing jackets.

• Like 4

Well thank you for that Splice, answered our smart attire night, how was the Gala Night on your cruise were the gents wearing their dinner jackets etc.  Do you know to be quite honest I would prefer to be told what where and when as Cunard did in the old days ie Formal, Semi-Formal and Casual and on your head be it if you didn’t adhere.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NE John said:

That’s a shame. DW and I are making a LME effort to look good onboard and it’s a chore to pack efficiently. 

I have no idea what “LME effort” is or what autocorrect did to that sentence!

We certainly make an effort…

• Like 1

Currently on QV - one gala night so far (black and white) - visited most areas of the ship and the dress code would appear to have been well observed. Almost all in full evening attire, men in formal/dress/dark with matching ties etc., women in long/short/black/white evening/cocktail dress. Glorious! Cunard tradition continues.

• Like 6

My DH and I will be on QV later this year.  There will be three gala nights.  I have looked for an evening address to no avail.  I am short, petite, and look hideous in dressy skirts.  In our careers, we had to attend black tie events, so I wore dressy black trousers, high heels, and fancy tops.  This will be our first Cunard cruise.   Please do you have any advice?

Just now, escrick said:

My DH and I will be on QV later this year.  There will be three gala nights.  I have looked for an evening address to no avail.  I am short, petite, and look hideous in dressy skirts.  In our careers, we had to attend black tie events, so I wore dressy black trousers, high heels, and fancy tops.  This will be our first Cunard cruise.   Please do you have any advice?

What you suggest will be fine. Though I doubt very much you look hideous in the skirts.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, escrick said:

Perfect.  🙂

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 3:18 PM, Splice the mainbrace said:

We’ve just come back from a Queen Victoria round Britain cruise and the compliance to the dress code was very well observed with almost all pax that I saw adhering to it. I was surprised to see the majority of men wearing jackets on Smart Attire nights even though it is now not a requirement, I had taken a blazer not sure if I was going to wear it or not but did so when I saw others wearing jackets.

That's because the majority of your fellow guests were Brits,  and possibly seasoned Cunarders  . 😉