Shampoo, soap, lotion

Sujormik

Hello, getting psyched for our 6/21 sailing on Marina!  What can you tell me about the Bvlgari products in the bathrooms? I’m hoping not to have to bring my own shampoo & conditioner, body wash and body lotions but I’m a peasant and not familiar with the Bvlgari line.  Scent? Creamy vs oily? Etc. I do presume they replenish regularly.

Thanks!

YES. And no you will never run out. If you don’t like the scent of one, ask your Room Steward for one of the others.  I have seen three different bottles, green, blue and white topped signifying differences.  They are great and you will probably receive enough to take some home for use there. We have them in our guest bathroom.  Unless you have a skin condition that requires use of a specific product, trust me, the Bulgari is excellent.

Mauibabes

• Like 3

I'm sure that the previous poster provided accurate information based on their experience.  Our experience was somewhat different.  I agree that the Bulgari toiletries are high quality, and in theory, you should be provided with shampoo, shower gel, conditioner and body cream.  After sailing on Insignia for 48 days this past January/February, there was not one day that we had one of each of those toiletries provided for us in our cabin, so it might be wise to take a travel size of your favorites with you, so you are either not stuck in your cabin without them, or tracking down a service cart in the corridors to try to obtain something.  For the first 4-5 weeks we had no shampoo, and our cabin steward told us to use the shower gel to wash our hair.  After that we had no shower gel, and were told to use the shampoo.  Forget about being given a choice of your preferred scent, because that never happened.  Perhaps because we were in a regular balcony cabin and not a suite, or perhaps it was just incompetence by the cabin steward.  Whatever the reason, I took the missing toiletries from service carts if I could see them there.  I had no desire to complain to the Front Desk, as I was told by other passengers that it wouldn't help.  I do recognize that cabin stewards, and their assistants are pleasant people who work very hard, and I wouldn't want to get them in trouble either, but it seems as if a Manager should do spot checks in rooms, after they are serviced, to ensure uniform standards.  I was glad that I brought travel sizes of my preferred toiletries, for the several occasions when we lacked toiletries, so just something for you to consider.

• Thanks 1

If you are in a balcony or lower cabin you will have to ask for the shower gel. Soap is provided but not the gel. If your room steward won't get some for you, take some off the service carts in the hallways when you see one. With as much as O charges for even the lower priced cabins on their cruises they should supply shower gel. I have always had to ask for it on every O cruise I have taken.

2 hours ago, meg1021 said:

I'm sure that the previous poster provided accurate information based on their experience.  Our experience was somewhat different.  I agree that the Bulgari toiletries are high quality, and in theory, you should be provided with shampoo, shower gel, conditioner and body cream.  After sailing on Insignia for 48 days this past January/February, there was not one day that we had one of each of those toiletries provided for us in our cabin, so it might be wise to take a travel size of your favorites with you, so you are either not stuck in your cabin without them, or tracking down a service cart in the corridors to try to obtain something.  For the first 4-5 weeks we had no shampoo, and our cabin steward told us to use the shower gel to wash our hair.  After that we had no shower gel, and were told to use the shampoo.  Forget about being given a choice of your preferred scent, because that never happened.  Perhaps because we were in a regular balcony cabin and not a suite, or perhaps it was just incompetence by the cabin steward.  Whatever the reason, I took the missing toiletries from service carts if I could see them there.  I had no desire to complain to the Front Desk, as I was told by other passengers that it wouldn't help.  I do recognize that cabin stewards, and their assistants are pleasant people who work very hard, and I wouldn't want to get them in trouble either, but it seems as if a Manager should do spot checks in rooms, after they are serviced, to ensure uniform standards.  I was glad that I brought travel sizes of my preferred toiletries, for the several occasions when we lacked toiletries, so just something for you to consider.

This is disturbing.  We are in a PH so that’s not the issue, but sheesh, it’s a bad look!  Sorry you dealt with that…I will indeed pack an emergency stash to go in the checked luggage.  Thanks for your reply.

I always bring my favorite toiletries.  I like the Bvlgari products.  They work well. My favorite is the Blue.  On last cruise, we couldn’t get blue.  Only green and white were available. My spouse doesn’t care for some of the aromas.  

9 hours ago, meg1021 said:

I hate to hear about this, if this is the future of Oceania service then it's definitely a change for the worse. I've been cruising them for almost 15 years for almost 30 cruises, and never had anything like this happen. Boarding Sunday, will update with my impressions. If it's going downhill I'll be the first to admit it. 

• Like 1

@meg1021

The experience you had on Insignia should never have happened and we’re sorry it happened at all. I am not aware we are still in a time of such shortages, especially on a cruise that should have been a segment of the ATW. I personally know a GM who has been on Insignia but do not know if it was during your 48 day sailing. She is OUTSTANDING and there is no way she would have tolerated this lack of service. 
Never stay quiet and “stew”, you have to let the Reception staff or the Housekeeping Manager or the Food and Beverage Director (HM works for the FBD) or directly to the GM. Silence has the effect of tarnishing the normal exceptional reputation and performance of the outstanding Oceania staff,  IMHO. 

We are like ORV, we have been cruising Oceania for over 15 years, approaching 30 cruises with well over 350 days at sea.  What you experienced is NOT THE NORM. Oceania CC readers should not discount your experiences but know that there can be problems with service but Oceania is committed to a much higher standard than meg1021 received. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

15 hours ago, susiesan said:

even the lower priced cabins on their cruises they should supply shower gel.

Absolutely. In the UK, even cheap hotels always supply shower gel (sometimes in larger wall mounted dispensers). It's sort of unthinkable that there wouldnt be gel on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, meg1021 said:

One must reminder that supply chains were under considerable stress following COVID.  On top of that was getting supplies to a moving target.

If you had complained to front desk, they might have not been able to help, but you would have found out the true reason for lack of those supplies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GICNJC said:

One must reminder that supply chains were under considerable stress following COVID. 

Too many businesses, and especially hotels and cruiselines, have gotten that "supply chain issues" excuse down pat.  It's being used to cover a multitude of sins, most especially to explain away what would otherwise be seen as major cost-cutting.

• Like 13

On cruises before pandemic, there was plenty of all types of toiletries.  White was for regular verandas, ov, and below.  It had a strong aroma. As you moved up categories there were more choices.  In concierge, you got a choice of green or blue. Suites got more choices.  If you asked for anything, you got it.  Our most recent cruise we were in concierge. No choice menu. You got whatever they left you.  Often it was a mixed bag of fragrances.  Color caps often didn’t match the fragrance.  Some bottles were full. Some were not full.  
Having taken 3 cruises this past year on different lines, the supply chain issue seems to be widespread.  On all 3, there were missing items that we had on previous  cruises.  No coke on O?  We were told that we had to request it before we sailed.  For my next O cruise we requested Diet Coke.  Will be pleased if it happens.

23 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Hello, getting psyched for our 6/21 sailing on Marina!  What can you tell me about the Bvlgari products in the bathrooms? I’m hoping not to have to bring my own shampoo & conditioner, body wash and body lotions but I’m a peasant and not familiar with the Bvlgari line.  Scent? Creamy vs oily? Etc. I do presume they replenish regularly.

Thanks!

A peasant would not be able to cruise on Oceania😁

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@meg1021

The experience you had on Insignia should never have happened and we’re sorry it happened at all. I am not aware we are still in a time of such shortages, especially on a cruise that should have been a segment of the ATW. I personally know a GM who has been on Insignia but do not know if it was during your 48 day sailing. She is OUTSTANDING and there is no way she would have tolerated this lack of service. 
Never stay quiet and “stew”, you have to let the Reception staff or the Housekeeping Manager or the Food and Beverage Director (HM works for the FBD) or directly to the GM. Silence has the effect of tarnishing the normal exceptional reputation and performance of the outstanding Oceania staff,  IMHO. 

We are like ORV, we have been cruising Oceania for over 15 years, approaching 30 cruises with well over 350 days at sea.  What you experienced is NOT THE NORM. Oceania CC readers should not discount your experiences but know that there can be problems with service but Oceania is committed to a much higher standard than meg1021 received. 
Mauibabes

You are correct.  We were on the first 2 segments of the ATW cruise.  It was our first experience with Oceania, and please don't misunderstand me, we did enjoy our cruise for the most part.  While we were booked in a regular veranda cabin, rather than a concierge level or suite, it was not an inexpensive cruise.  I just responded to the OP, because I had a different experience than you.  Besides, we had other more pressing issues to deal with in our cabin.  Our thermostat never worked, couldn't shut off, and every time we changed climates, Maintenance had to come into the cabin and fix things.  We went from cool weather in San Francisco, requiring the heat, to hot weather in Central America, requiring AC, back to heat in Antarctica, back to AC in Buenos Aires and Rio.  At one point I told the front desk that I would be sleeping on one of the couches in the lounge, if maintenance didn't remedy the situation, because our cabin was unlivable (BTW, the cabin steward said that other cabins on our hallway had the same issue).  Most complaints by passengers on the ship weren't dealt with, and corporate offices in Miami were frequently blamed.  Another passenger gave me the email address of Carlos Ortega in Miami, suggesting that that would prompt some action.  The only response I got from him was the auto-response that he was out of the office.  No other communication ever came.

As I said, on the whole we enjoyed the cruise, despite some issues.  Oceania bills itself as a premium cruise line, and is priced accordingly.  Was it a premium experience for us?  Not really, and although we haven't ruled out sailing with them again, if the itinerary is compelling, we are not rushing back to book with them again, and in fact, have booked with other lines for cruises we have planned for '24 and '25.  It's possible that your long history with them and preferred status mean that your issues are addressed in a much more timely manner, and with greater care than other first time passengers.  I have no interest in bashing Oceania or their employees, but was only trying to let the OP know that yours was not a universal experience on the issue of toiletries, and perhaps they should have a Plan B!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

A peasant would not be able to cruise on Oceania😁

I always got what I requested. The products provided are good.  They are more like a gel, not oily.  If you like unscented products, bring your own.  
we are also on Marina 6-21

• Like 2

@meg1021

i was just sharing from my experiences as we want any O cruiser to enjoy themselves on any cruise because, believe it or not, they really do want to excel and for you to return often.  Routinely about 60% of the guests aboard are past guests and no line wants a “one and done” passenger experience.
While we have sailed Oceania many times over the years, we have had some of those difficult experiences. HVAC issues like yours and yes they had to make adjustments for the climate changes regularly on some cruises. When we were in Antarctica in January on Marina, our system needed tweaking more than once. We had one room that the fan ran 24/7 and could never be shut off.  We have found that no matter what ship we sail, there is “no one size fits all” temperature setting. We were on Riviera, 2021, in a PH, 11065 which is off the entrance between the TC and Waves.  Amazingly noisy throughout the night from doors slamming and staff traffic preparing for the days dining, DW was in tears from sleep deprivation. We complained and were relocated for 30 days but had to move back to the room because the ship was full on the 16 day Transatlantic segment and our new room was occupied on the next segment. The Noise was better but not perfect but they tried hard and we visited daily with our new best friend, the Food and Beverage Director, as the noise issue was in her area of responsibility. SHE CARED! Oh, and our new PH, halfway thru our 30 day stay, some guests down the way from us stopped up the sewer line with a hand towel. So yes it was intentional and guess who’s toilet backed up and overflowed,  TWICE?  🤬 You could say it “hit the fan” but they were on it and we were also compensated with lots of SBC. We truly felt sorry for our Room Steward who had the clean up job 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 OMG it stunk! 

I could go on but no need, you get the drift.  Share your concerns and let them step up. We have found Mid cruise surveys usually generate immediate follow up from management but sometimes the upper management team can also drop the ball or might even be unable to rectify a specific situation.  The End of Cruise Survey goes direct to Miami, no on board input or fixes, just Top Management evaluating the ships staff and management’s performance. Again, if you need to really drive a point home, you should write another email/letter to Miami and let them know you expect a response, CC the world of O Executives if that is what you feel it might take to be heard.  

Yes, we believe Oceania is a Premium cruise line that values its guests but like every organization, is rarely perfect in the eyes of anyone, much less than everyone.  We had the privilege of being aboard Vista for the Founders Cruise a few weeks ago and heard Frank Del Rio make the most heart felt presentation at the last night Salute show about his 20+ years of starting Oceania and the commitment of the whole Oceania family to one another and to the guests who make Oceania an amazing cruise experience. We are “Family” and he was sharing from his heart, like a proud father, what it meant as he prepared to “sail into the sunset” of his career in an industry that he loves. 
As my DW says I talk too much when it comes to talking “O” so I’ll “Drop the Mic” and rest my fingers. 😇👍❤️🛳️

Mauibabes

Mauibabes 

• Like 3

This is a pic of the toiletries we currently have in our B2 balcony cabin on Riviera. It's the White Tea version which to me has an almost imperceptible scent. As you can see the shampoo and shower gel are one and the same. Personally I wouldn't use cruise ship toiletries on my hair so I can't comment on its performance as a shampoo. But as a shower gel it's fine although not at all luxurious. Our shampoo/shower gel and body lotion have been replaced as they were getting low. 

Screenshot_20230609-165201_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

@Eloise4Ever

FYI, the Bulgari products are not junk, actually pretty pricy 💰 if you check them out.  The Shampoo is excellent, I know a couple who on a long cruise several years ago brought back the equivalent of a years supply because they loved them so much. 
Enjoy the cruise and report if you find the ultimate GOOD cookie.😇👍

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

This is a pic of the toiletries we currently have in our B2 balcony cabin on Riviera. It's the White Tea version which to me has an almost imperceptible scent. As you can see the shampoo and shower gel are one and the same. Personally I wouldn't use cruise ship toiletries on my hair so I can't comment on its performance as a shampoo. But as a shower gel it's fine although not at all luxurious. Our shampoo/shower gel and body lotion have been replaced as they were getting low. 

Screenshot_20230609-165201_Gallery.jpg

I no longer color my hair so am fairly ambivalent now about my products.  Facial cleanser etc is a totally different matter!

On 6/8/2023 at 10:18 AM, Redtravel said:

On cruises before pandemic, there was plenty of all types of toiletries.  White was for regular verandas, ov, and below.  It had a strong aroma. As you moved up categories there were more choices.  In concierge, you got a choice of green or blue. Suites got more choices.  If you asked for anything, you got it.  Our most recent cruise we were in concierge. No choice menu. You got whatever they left you.  Often it was a mixed bag of fragrances.  Color caps often didn’t match the fragrance.  Some bottles were full. Some were not full.  
Having taken 3 cruises this past year on different lines, the supply chain issue seems to be widespread.  On all 3, there were missing items that we had on previous  cruises.  No coke on O?  We were told that we had to request it before we sailed.  For my next O cruise we requested Diet Coke.  Will be pleased if it happens.

Sorry, slightly off topic, related to special requests.

For next cruise, I asked my TA to request specific soft drinks.  TA responded that you have to request once onboard. 

Called O to verify, and since was booked with TA, guy transferred me to I don't know where, but was on hold so very long, I ended call, and did not find out.

On my prior O cruises -- last one was 2019 -- was able to request prior to sailing, and was properly fulfilled.

Can anyone tell me current procedure.  Thanks

Edited by FetaCheese
addl info

1 minute ago, FetaCheese said:

For next cruise, I asked my TA to request specific soft drinks.  TA responded that you have to request once onboard. 

Called O to verify, and since was booked with TA, guy transferred me to I don't know where, but was on hold so very long, I ended call, and did not find out.

On my prior O cruises -- last one was 2019 -- was able to request prior to sailing, and was properly fulfilled.

Can anyone tell me current procedure.  Thanks

In my experience, my TA has handled it and put the request in several weeks prior to boarding.  The requested drinks were in our fridge upon arrival,  I believe your TA was incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1