Sisters Sailing Scenic Scandinavia June 12-22 Live report

Azulann

5 hours ago, May B said:

Patti, I just saw that two staterooms just opened up on your cruise! Must’ve been no-shows. Talk about last minute! 😳

I do know that  one couple on our roll call canceled in the last weeks due to illness.

It is currently 4:30 AM on our overnight in Stockholm.

Last night  around 9 pm people were still boarding for the first time. We are on starboard and overlook the pier. Saw a gropuof 6 arrived by car service with chauffeur driver . 

Maybe  last minute  sickness or  flight problems. I would hate to have to cancel  or miss a cruise after planning for over a year , but I know it does happen.

BTW, how  do you know that  suddenly  two staterooms have just opened? Are  you a travel agent? 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Azulann said:

I do know that  one couple on our roll call canceled in the last weeks due to illness.

It is currently 4:30 AM on our overnight in Stockholm.

Last night  around 9 pm people were still boarding for the first time. We are on starboard and overlook the pier. Saw a gropuof 6 arrived by car service with chauffeur driver . 

Maybe  last minute  sickness or  flight problems. I would hate to have to cancel  or miss a cruise after planning for over a year , but I know it does happen.

BTW, how  do you know that  suddenly  two staterooms have just opened? Are  you a travel agent? 😀

I know b/c I was looking at cruises to see if I could find a satisfactory substitute, in case I get offered a MoveOver. 😁 Months ago, you had announced that both of our cruises were sold out. Mine kept opening up again. Finally it stayed sold out. I was surprised when yours showed availability.

I was certainly surprised when yours showed up at all. I was looking at it probably when you had already had your dinner!

I hope you’ll be able to fall back to sleep!

And, bon voyage.

• Like 1

Day 1 final recap

Dinner in Manfredi's with couple form our roll call.  two entrées were very good, two were ok.  Swordfish and angel hair pasta with tiger shrimp scampi  were very good. The stark was good by not rare enough , and halibut  was just ok, nothing special. 

Had a nice Banfi white wine with my meal.

Observation on available wines.: Yes ,you can get two kinds of champagne by the glass, also  Cava  and Prosecco by the glass. The Cava  is not listed in the bar menu on tables next Viking Bar , but just ask.

It is listed on Wine menu in Manfredi's.

Shout out to  Richie in Guest services🎉

After a full meal  with wine, being bone tired, I went to take out my contact lens and could not find my prescription glasses . I realized I left them at hotel  when we checked out earlier on Monday.  Richie called the hotel and yes they had my glasses. Asked for a taxi to deliver them to  pier ASAP. they arrived by Stockholm Taxi in 20 minutes, and it only costs me 430 Kroner, which I gladly paid.

Having a full ship is very noticeable compared to my last Welcome back cruise. There is a bustling energy by crew who are always saying hello , can I get you anything Madam, welcome aboard, pleasure to be of service,

Day 2 is a excursion to Viking Museum in morning and our informal m&g  4:30 - 5:30 on infinity pool area before sail away at 6pm.

Kent, I am so looking forward to the sail away from Stockholm.

In closing  I realize that the sun is up at 4:00 am here in Stockholm. And this also seems to be my new wake up time these days😮 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 8

12 hours ago, Azulann said:

Day 1 final recap

Dinner in Manfredi's with couple form our roll call.  two entrées were very good, two were ok.  Swordfish and angel hair pasta with tiger shrimp scampi  were very good. The stark was good by not rare enough , and halibut  was just ok, nothing special. 

Had a nice Banfi white wine with my meal.

Observation on available wines.: Yes ,you can get two kinds of champagne by the glass, also  Cava  and Prosecco by the glass. The Cava  is not listed in the bar menu on tables next Viking Bar , but just ask.

It is listed on Wine menu in Manfredi's.

Shout out to  Richie in Guest services🎉

After a full meal  with wine, being bone tired, I went to take out my contact lens and could not find my prescription glasses . I realized I left them at hotel  when we checked out earlier on Monday.  Richie called the hotel and yes they had my glasses. Asked for a taxi to deliver them to  pier ASAP. they arrived by Stockholm Taxi in 20 minutes, and it only costs me 430 Kroner, which I gladly paid.

Having a full ship is very noticeable compared to my last Welcome back cruise. There is a bustling energy by crew who are always saying hello , can I get you anything Madam, welcome aboard, pleasure to be of service,

Day 2 is a excursion to Viking Museum in morning and our informal m&g  4:30 - 5:30 on infinity pool area before sail away at 6pm.

Kent, I am so looking forward to the sail away from Stockholm.

In closing  I realize that the sun is up at 4:00 am here in Stockholm. And this also seems to be my new wake up time these days😮 

Enjoy the sail away through the archipelago. The area is scattered with hundreds of small islands where people have summer homes…they will no doubt be out waving to you as you sail by. Grab a glass of wine, find a good spot outside and enjoy!

• Like 1

Day 2   Sail away from Stockholm

Recap of the day.

Perfect weather continues to hold, blue sky and sun all day!

Viking does provide a shuttle from ship to  Opera  House to ship throughout the day. 

Many excursions, passengers out  and about all day.

We took the Viking Museum tour with 24 other passengers on  the bus. Our guide was very informative and funny. Gave great background on the water ways and changes   to and from Stockholm from ice age to present day  while we stood  at  overlook  on Sodermalm. 

Viking museum was interactive venue  and ended with a 11 minute  ride through time , think Viking version of "It is a Small world after all"  ride you would find at Disney. You ride in little cars on track in the  dark, into  lighted diaraomas  😆Kids would love it.  I guess I am a kid at heart. 

Then off  to the National museum each of these stops lasted a 1 hr to explore on our own. Saw the Vault containing   gold and silver found in burial  and archaeological sites throughout Sweden.

Always fascinating see  the workmanship of these ancient  jewelry  pieces.

Ended in a quirky bar in old town for a glass of Viking mead, and snack of cheese , beef, fruit.

Stockholm is a city of museums and  theaters ! 

Had our informal  roll call meeting on Aquavit deck at 4:30 
  I had alerted guest services about the  meeting on Monday..

I never got a response to my  email I had sent a couple of weeks ago to customer relations at Viking .com

At the same time today,  "mussel, clams, shrimp buffet  was  being held on deck during sail away  with lots of  sparking wine being offered by waiters by the infinity pool.

The General Manger . Mr. De Silva stopped by along with asst. CD  to our m&g  gathering .He said he  would  provide a meet and greet hosted by Viking  later this week with officers in attendance with cocktails and canapés.  He took our stateroom numbers and will send an invitation for a time/day  that works well with daily schedule. It is a very nice gesture, thank you Viking.

Love meeting  roll call members face to face  and  lively conversations ensued. Lots of connections made among our group.

Deb  shared  with us her experience  on the Viking Sky when it ran into big trouble off coast of Norway a couple of years ago. I did not realize it was her first cruise ever!

Ate in the Restaurant  tonight  and parchment wrapped salmon, haddock potato soup  was excellent . 

Folks are all settled in  now on the cruise and the daily rhythm of a port, excursion or DIY walkabouts  leaves me tired by evening.

The sail away  is so beautiful and unique. Many of  the Swedish summer houses are located on these  islands. 

6,700  islands make up the archipelago including  Arland Islands and the town of Mariehamn which is our port of call for Day 3 on Wednesday.

IMG_0568.jpeg

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 4

Really enjoying your wonderful trip reporting and your gorgeous photos.  How great to be traveling with your sister!  Love your descriptive summaries of excursions.   DH and I are in an aft DV2 on the fourth deck for our first VO cruise in August, BIE on the Mars.  And really love your sailaway photos!  Please keep them coming!  Through your photos, I can envision glasses of wine on the veranda in our future.  But most importantly for you two, have a fabulous time.  Cheers!🥂

• Like 2

Day 3. Arland Island ,Marieham 

view from our balcony. Baltic Sea is as smooth as glass  and again blue sky and sun ☀️ 

oops , uploading if picture failed. 
it did say in daily that internet is very spotty at this port 

stay tuned ….

• Like 2

Observation on available wines.: Yes ,you can get two kinds of champagne by the glass, also  Cava  and Prosecco by the glass.
These are not champagne, but sparkling wine. It sounds as if champagne is not available even with silver spirits😕

so glad you were able to get your glasses!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

Day 3. Arland Island ,Marieham 

view from our balcony. Baltic Sea is as smooth as glass  and again blue sky and sun ☀️ 

oops , uploading if picture failed. 
it did say in daily that internet is very spotty at this port 

stay tuned ….

Well it is now  afternoon WiFi  is working fine now. 

Edited by Azulann

13 hours ago, Newdaytrippers said:

Really enjoying your wonderful trip reporting and your gorgeous photos.  How great to be traveling with your sister!  Love your descriptive summaries of excursions.   DH and I are in an aft DV2 on the fourth deck for our first VO cruise in August, BIE on the Mars.  And really love your sailaway photos!  Please keep them coming!  Through your photos, I can envision glasses of wine on the veranda in our future.  But most importantly for you two, have a fabulous time.  Cheers!🥂

You will love sitting in your balcony with you glass of wine watching as the ship leaves port or any other time for that matter. 
I am glad my pictures posting is working. I am using my old model  iPhone 👍My favorite place to sit also is on the open aquavit deck . We eat our breakfast  and lunch from World cafe outside . They have tables  both in the shade and sun .
My sister is currently on lounge chair in the sun for the next hour. Then we go to our appointment with the cruise consultant to book a future cruise while on board . 

will do the days wrap up later this evening. . I would move to Marieham Arland Island in a heartbeat 💓 🥰 ,if I was younger , my kind of idyllic island life. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:
3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Patti - so glad you having a great cruise!  What future cruise are you looking at?

Kent, my sister has never been to Greece.  I have been there twice.

So we booked the Greek Odyssey cruise in  Feb 2025. Four of the ports will be new for me, all on the Greek mainland. The others I have been to and will find something new to explore.  We got her favorite aft DV1 stateroom and doing the post Greek extension with Viking too. 🥳

BTW, the wifi is fine now as weasel toward Visby Sweden.Sorry you are having so much trouble on your cruise with it. As others you have said, maybe it is the Northern region you are on you cruise..

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Hope you will write a paragraph or two on the pros and any cons of the DV1s on the aft. We had finagled our way into one for our Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise that got canceled.  In addition to being disappointed about the cruise not getting to experience that stateroom made me sad. 

• Like 1

We are enjoying following along with you and love what they have done with your avatar.

I'll save the questions until you get back rather than taking up your time now. Look out for me in the virtual explorers lounge 😁

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 20.28.12.png

• Like 1

Day 3, Mariehamn , Arland Island

Final recap.

Took the included  panoramic  bus tour this morning. Out guide was informative about the  history of Arland Islands, the life of islanders, Nordic culture , and  its strategic place during the Cold War and today   in light of the current Russia/ Ukraine war. 

As we drove by the Russian consulate , she pointed out that every day at 5pm there are protest in front  of the building.  They have been  waiting for a meeting with the consular for over a year. No answer to their request.  

She is worried that  "Mr. Putin is  following  in the footsteps of the Russian Czars. "    I got a new appreciation  of  impact  in the minds of everyday people who live closers that any  Americans or cruise passengers to current realities.  

Driving  over 12 island in our two hour bus tour on well maintained  paved roads.  I  found the landscape to be idyllic , scent of pine trees filled the  air,   saw deer running across the road,  drove by small farms. every turn  tone gets a glimpse of the water,  

Bicycles  are everywhere in the town used by  young  and old, well kept modern sturdy houses with metal roofs. 

Mariehamn is 5 hr  ferry ride from both Finland and Stockholm.

It reminded me of Northern MN ,pine forest, outcrops of rocks ,and water. I see why people come  to this island  during the summer for vacation.

I will  upload pictures in a separate post because slow wifi.

This port was a wonderful surprise.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, photopro2 said:

We are enjoying following along with you and love what they have done with your avatar.

I'll save the questions until you get back rather than taking up your time now. Look out for me in the virtual explorers lounge 😁

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 20.28.12.png

The "rare" badge is for those whose live posts have been brought to the attention of the management. I'm not sure what the ship is for. There are badges as well but no place that I can find that describes why or how they are awarded.

If you go back to Patti's original post, you will see the message from Community Manager Laura at the top of her post awarding her the badge.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The "rare" badge is for those whose live posts have been brought to the attention of the management. I'm not sure what the ship is for. There are badges as well but no place that I can find that describes why or how they are awarded.

If you go back to Patti's original post, you will see the message from Community Manager Laura at the top of her post awarding her the badge.

Thanks for explaining-I didn’t know why I had “rare” on mine since I prefer my steak “medium rare”😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

The "rare" badge is for those whose live posts have been brought to the attention of the management.

I’m glad you explained that. I thought it meant they rarely posted! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Hope you will write a paragraph or two on the pros and any cons of the DV1s on the aft. We had finagled our way into one for our Hong Kong to Bangkok cruise that got canceled.  In addition to being disappointed about the cruise not getting to experience that stateroom made me sad. 

I stayed in 5110 on the aft a DV1 on my prior Iceland cruise and I loved it.  The balcony was much deeper and that one was covered which came in handy for those rainy times. I really enjoyed watching the wake and leaving ports gave excellent views.  The cabin was a typical DV which I like. Tried to get an aft for my upcoming July Norway and Iceland cruise but they were all taken.  You will love it Clay.

• Like 3