Celebrity, Royal Caribbean or Norweigan?

Mrsaldog

We are looking to cruise to Bermuda from either Boston or NJ, but trying to decide if we should stick to Royal (as we have 2 other times) or try something new.  Any advice for or against any of these cruise lines?  We are not travelling with any kids.  I have heard great things about Celebrity, but not much about Norweigan.

I sailed NCL Pearl last fall, Quebec to Boston.  Seemed to me that with the 'free at sea' deals, they were the best value.  I anticipated being somewhat disappointed since our last cruise had been on Cunard, before the virus disaster.  NCL was just fine and of course it was our first big trip in FOREVER. Weather was horrendous and we didn't care!  The aft-facing balcony cabin was very small and I wouldn't put two people in it again, but we anticipated that and managed to live through it.  We don't expect a great deal when we travel, want to be treated with friendliness and professionalism, dine on decent food and book enjoyable shore excursions.  NCL did all that.  We're sailing NCL Epic on the Med in October, I think NCL is very good value.  While not Cunard, NCL is far better than Princess.

3 hours ago, Mrsaldog said:

We are looking to cruise to Bermuda from either Boston or NJ, but trying to decide if we should stick to Royal (as we have 2 other times) or try something new.  Any advice for or against any of these cruise lines?  We are not travelling with any kids.  I have heard great things about Celebrity, but not much about Norweigan.

Celebrity is our all time favorite cruise line.However,our best cruises to Bermuda have been on HAL because it docked in Hamilton.

Enjoy whichever you go on.

We normally sail rccl or celebrity , a lot depends on what ship or class of ship. In general rccl has the best entertainment, celebrity is more adult without things that will attract children. I haven’t sailed ncl in about 20 years and doubt I ever will totally disliked there freestyle seating and there food but it was about 20 years.

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

In general, I want to recommend Celebrity without the kids, but what are the specific ship choices?

Norwegian Gem, RC Liberty of the Seas and Celebrity Eclipse are the choices

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mrsaldog said:

Norwegian Gem, RC Liberty of the Seas and Celebrity Eclipse are the choices

Thanks. So yes, I’ll keep my recommendation. Celebrity Eclipse is a gorgeous ship. She would be my first choice for an overall great cruise. 

Liberty of the Seas isn’t a bad choice. For entertainment, she is the clear leader. Between the full length Saturday Night Fever and the shows in Studio B (ice rink), I think she has some of the best entertainment at sea. 

I don’t recommend Gem at all. I’ll never cruise on that style of NCL ships again.  

• Like 2

Of the three named, NCL is likely to be the less costly (assuming you will be satisfied with the limited menu in the included MDR), but might have the liveliest entertainment.  Celebrity is really a generally upgraded Royal Caribbean brand - more mature, slightly better food and service, perhaps less varied entertainment.  Of course, all three, being jumbo ships, call at the tourist trap Dockyard -at the remote far west end.

For a slightly higher fare you might consider Oceania - which sails much smaller ships, from Manhattan -  which call at St. George at the east end of the island and moor alongside Front Street in Hamilton. Much better food and service as well as vastly superior itinerary. Somewhat similar to the old HAL ships mentioned by earlier poster.

(I realize that I am violating a rule posted by some who object to answers which go beyond a simple “yes/no” response to the original post.)

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of the three named, NCL is likely to be the less costly (assuming you will be satisfied with the limited menu in the included MDR), but might have the liveliest entertainment.  Celebrity is really a generally upgraded Royal Caribbean brand - more mature, slightly better food and service, perhaps less varied entertainment.  Of course, all three, being jumbo ships, call at the tourist trap Dockyard -at the remote far west end.

For a slightly higher fare you might consider Oceania - which sails much smaller ships, from Manhattan -  which call at St. George at the east end of the island and moor alongside Front Street in Hamilton. Much better food and service as well as vastly superior itinerary. Somewhat similar to the old HAL ships mentioned by earlier poster.

(I realize that I am violating a rule posted by some who object to answers which go beyond a simple “yes/no” response to the original post.)

I appreciate the advice!  It's much better than a yes or no.  It gives me something to think about.

• Like 1

Honestly, it is so subjective. Also, that all we know about you is that you've tried Royal and don't have any kinds. It really depends what you are looking for. Some people will die on the hill of a brand that they chose at random or were lead to believe was the only choice for them. It might be best to try various ones. That way, you can discover what is important to you. Some people also enjoy the variety. Everything has its pros and cons, regardless of the internet's trials and tribulations of finding a secret opinion of which is the "best."

I hadn't heard about this 'rule'.  What nonsense.  We're on these boards to pick each others' brains and be educated by our members.  I'm sure that I'm not alone is preferring 'first-person' stories and advice.  Gives me a solid base on which to do my research for a trip.  People who want a 'yes or no' answer can just go ask a neighbor.  That's about as much help as you'll get.

Edited by jsn55
clarity

1 hour ago, jsn55 said:

I hadn't heard about this 'rule'.  What nonsense.  We're on these boards to pick each others' brains and be educated by our members.  I'm sure that I'm not alone is preferring 'first-person' stories and advice.  Gives me a solid base on which to do my research for a trip.  People who want a 'yes or no' answer can just go ask a neighbor.  That's about as much help as you'll get.

Check your recent post on the “Pet Peeves” thread.

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Thanks. So yes, I’ll keep my recommendation. Celebrity Eclipse is a gorgeous ship. She would be my first choice for an overall great cruise. 

Liberty of the Seas isn’t a bad choice. For entertainment, she is the clear leader. Between the full length Saturday Night Fever and the shows in Studio B (ice rink), I think she has some of the best entertainment at sea. 

I don’t recommend Gem at all. I’ll never cruise on that style of NCL ships again.  

I really enjoyed the Gem and Jewel, I love spinnakers lounge and the great outdoors. We also prefer freestyle dining, do not like a set time.

On 6/8/2023 at 4:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Celebrity is our all time favorite cruise line.However,our best cruises to Bermuda have been on HAL because it docked in Hamilton.

Enjoy whichever you go on.

How long ago did you dock in Hamilton?  And what ship?  I thought all now go to dockyard, except small yachts.  

1 hour ago, SunSandSea said:

How long ago did you dock in Hamilton?  And what ship?  I thought all now go to dockyard, except small yachts.  

Oceania’s ships - 650 or so passengers  (among others) stop at St. George on the east end as well as Hamilton (I am looking forward to my September visit), it is just the mega ships now glutting the market which are restricted to Dockyard.

1 hour ago, janetz said:

The ship that spends the most time In Bermuda 👌

A ship which spends time in Hamilton and/or St. George gives you more usable time in Bermuda than one stopping at Dockyard  — which requires at least a half hour each way to get to/from anything other than the tourist trap which is dockyard. At St George you are minutes away from a couple of the best beaches - as well as being right in that historic town, and at Hamilton you are moored along Front Street in the middle of everything, and close to a half hour nearer to the rest of the island than when you are at Dockyard.

Bluntly put: the introduction of large ships has dummed down Bermuda cruising. But as with most things, you get what you are willing to pay for.