Menu: Seabourn Odyssey

MBP&O2/O

36 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

The Inspiration menu has one of my favorites: "Pan Seared Fresh Alaskan Black Cod", but I will only be boarding in a week. I hope it will be on the menu again 

I also noticed this dish and hope to have it on my sailing later in the season.

Nancy

4 hours ago, CalmSea said:

The Inspiration menu has one of my favorites: "Pan Seared Fresh Alaskan Black Cod", but I will only be boarding in a week. I hope it will be on the menu again 

Probably frozen and not fresh.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 3:56 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

More a light hearted comment .... from today's menus, courtesy of the Source app ... an 'Interesting'  goats cheese  ... 🤔

Screenshot_20230612_115010_Samsung Notes.jpg

After some thought - maybe it is the Greatest Of All Time cow's milk - GOAT, not goat.  It is all in caps.

• Haha 3

We sail end of July...  I sure hope they still have the GOAT cow's milk cheese!  And did they have real Appenzeller cheese?  It is famous for it's intense "fragrance."  Walking into the cheese monger's was an experience!

By any chance, is Boyan back in Seabourn Square cafe this year?  His cappuccinos compared very favorably with those we've had in Italy.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:13 AM, CalmSea said:

The ship’s menus are on a 3-4 week rotation. You can always ask for the dish to be prepared. Just speak with the maître d’. HTH

Edited by TootyJane
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TootyJane said:

The ship’s menus are on a 3-4 week rotation. You can always ask for the dish to be prepared.

Well, if the dish is "Fresh Alaskan Black Cod" then they actually need to have just purchased fresh cod. Whereas you could potentially get "Alaskan Black Cod" (defrosted from the freezer) upon request. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Well, if the dish is "Fresh Alaskan Black Cod" then they actually need to have just purchased fresh cod. Whereas you could potentially get "Alaskan Black Cod" (defrosted from the freezer) upon request. 😀

Unless the Chef has been to Market and/or the ship has received provisions, the meat, fish, etc. is going to be “Fresh Frozen” meaning the food was quickly frozen while it was still fresh. 

1 minute ago, TootyJane said:

Unless the Chef has been to Market and/or the ship has received provisions, the meat, fish, etc. is going to be “Fresh Frozen” meaning the food was quickly frozen while it was still fresh. 

So are you saying that all fish can be frozen and yet described as "fresh"?

As apposed to what... fish which sat around for days before it was frozen? 😉

57 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

The first time I had Black Cod was at a Vancouver restaurant in 2019. It was cooked in a miso broth. It left such an impression that I still remember exactly when and where I had it. Last year, I had Black Cod on the Quest, under the Inspiration menu, also cooked in miso, if I remembered correctly. Obviously, it was the defrosted from the freezer version, but still very good. The oily nature of the fish seem to preserve its favor very well even frozen. Yes, we can buy frozen black cod in Montreal, and we often do it. But, I am hoping that I have the luck to try the fresh version again on the Odyssey. If not, I will take even the frozen version.

7 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

As apposed to what... fish which sat around for days before it was frozen? 😉

That’s exactly what I’m saying.

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

1 hour ago, TootyJane said:

That’s exactly what I’m saying.

So if I'm in a restaurant and I ask, "is the fish fresh?" and they answer yes, it can mean the fish is fresh or the fish was frozen. You may be right, but it just seems wrong. 😀

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

So if I'm in a restaurant and I ask, "is the fish fresh?" and they answer yes, it can mean the fish is fresh or the fish was frozen. You may be right, but it just seems wrong. 😀

Wouldn't it be difficult to store actual fresh fish (never frozen) on the ship?  When I buy fresh fresh at our local grocery store, I usually cook it on the day I buy it--and at the very latest, the next day.  Is it possible to keep fresh fish much longer that that?  If there is, please clue me in.  

Edited by SLSD

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

Wouldn't it be difficult to store actual fresh fish (never frozen) on the ship?  When I buy fresh fresh at our local grocery store, I usually cook it on the day I buy it--and at the very latest, the next day.  Is it possible to keep fresh fish much longer that that?  If there is, please clue me in.  

The technology of freezing fish has improved a lot compared to say, 20 years ago. As TootyJane has mentioned, sometimes it is called "freshy frozen". They can be recognised by being in a frozen vacuum sealed  package. The vacuum process removes most the air, and with a much lower level of Oxygen, the fish will stay "fresh" much longer. If defrozed correctly, there is not much difference between that and a fresh one. One addtition advantage of frozen fish is that the freezing kills any parasites on the fish, and it is an FDA quideline for safely eating raw fish.

Back to SB, the adjective "fresh" is seldom used on their menu to describe fish. My expectation is that when it says "fresh", it is bought locally on a port day and kept chilled in their fridge, but not frozen. Of course, I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

The technology of freezing fish has improved a lot compared to say, 20 years ago. As TootyJane has mentioned, sometimes it is called "freshy frozen". They can be recognised by being in a frozen vacuum sealed  package. The vacuum process removes most the air, and with a much lower level of Oxygen, the fish will stay "fresh" much longer. If defrozed correctly, there is not much difference between that and a fresh one. One addtition advantage of frozen fish is that the freezing kills any parasites on the fish, and it is an FDA quideline for safely eating raw fish.

Back to SB, the adjective "fresh" is seldom used on their menu to describe fish. My expectation is that when it says "fresh", it is bought locally on a port day and kept chilled in their fridge, but not frozen. Of course, I could be wrong. 

I understand that freshly frozen concept, but I am puzzled that anyone would actually expect truly fresh fish on a ship.  

• Like 2

I wasn't objecting to frozen fish, as I know the technology works well. But there is actual fresh fish on the ship at times, depending where it is sailing, ports, budget, etc. We've seen the chef bring on fish on some cruises, and on our recent Sojourn cruise, the chef told us all the meat is frozen but some of the fish is bought fresh in various ports. 

I just think if they are going to label it as "fresh" on the menu, it should be actual fresh (recently-caught) fish. If it's frozen, that's fine; just don't call it "fresh" on the menu. 😀

• Like 1

SB's Inspiration menu often has surprises. In today's menu, there is "Grilled Cantaloupe Melon" as a main course. If I am on board now, I will probably order one to try, and order another main from the Inspiration menu as a backup. Fortunately, their Inspriation servings are usually small. If they are both good, I can skip dessert.

• Like 2

Frozen fish is safe fish. Typically, frozen at the time of being hauled onboard a fishing boat. 

Freezing fish eliminates risk from fish parasites, which can be very problematic for humans. 

hooray!  For freezing.

All sushi in Canada is from thawed fish for this reason…

At the famous Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo, most fresh catch are quickly frozen and then distributed around Japan and the world, to be served at top restaurants.  Foreign tourists can observe the frozen tuna auction site early mornings (not sure if that's still true due to covid).

20 minutes ago, sfvoyage said:

At the famous Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo, most fresh catch are quickly frozen and then distributed around Japan and the world, to be served at top restaurants.  Foreign tourists can observe the frozen tuna auction site early mornings (not sure if that's still true due to covid).

Think they relocated tsukiji to a new site, fairly nearby, a few years ago