Current Power Strip Policy

Warrenf186

We’re booked on Discovery on October 28th and are wondering about Princess’ current policy for power strips.  The last I heard, non-surge protect power strips without extension cords were ok.  However, my daughter and SIL were on R

Royal Caribbean last month and also tomorrow.  They were informed that ABSOLUTELY NO power strips could be used and that they will be confiscated if found.

does anyone have updated info on this subject or will I have to get a wind generator and attach it to the balcony railing.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Warrenf186 said:

We’re booked on Discovery on October 28th and are wondering about Princess’ current policy for power strips.  The last I heard, non-surge protect power strips without extension cords were ok.  However, my daughter and SIL were on R

Royal Caribbean last month and also tomorrow.  They were informed that ABSOLUTELY NO power strips could be used and that they will be confiscated if found.

does anyone have updated info on this subject or will I have to get a wind generator and attach it to the balcony railing.

Should be Okay.

From princess.com, fourth paragraph.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-destinations/cruise-tips-advice-and-information/packing-for-a-princess-cruise-vacation.html

• Like 1

We've never had an issue but @Coral has been posting that her non-surge protected power strip was confiscated and she had a terrible time trying to get them to understand that it "should" be fine according to the rules. I think there are a lot of new people who don't know what the heck they are doing.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We've never had an issue but @Coral has been posting that her non-surge protected power strip was confiscated and she had a terrible time trying to get them to understand that it "should" be fine according to the rules. I think there are a lot of new people who don't know what the heck they are doing.

This is one of my worries - how do they *know* which strips are surge protected and which aren't?  If they're not clearly marked as non-surge protecting, do I risk having it confiscated because they don't actually know?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreamscaper said:

This is one of my worries - how do they *know* which strips are surge protected and which aren't?  If they're not clearly marked as non-surge protecting, do I risk having it confiscated because they don't actually know?

Yes, I had a non-surge protector IKEA power strip confiscated.  I argued with security and lost while in the naughty room.  Take a photo of the box or other documents. Now I travel with a power outlet like this one. 

3. This product does not have surge protection. It can be taken on most cruise ships, but some cruises forbid power strips with extension cords. Please check the guidelines on the cruise operator’s official website before taking it aboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Extender-Charging-Delivery-Esstential/dp/B09PGXWNWG/ref=sr_1_64_sspa?crid=T3FHDLK38PBT&keywords=anker+power+brick&qid=1686810987&sprefix=Anker+power+%2Caps%2C279&sr=8-64-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

• Like 1

I have bought the same power bar on every cruise for at probably 25 years (this includes dozens of Princess cruises). It is a power bar and not a surge strip. 

My suitcase wasn't delivered to my room in a timely manner and eventually I had a note on my door to visit Deck 4 to retrieve my luggage. They opened up my luggage in front of me and we grabbed the power strip. I indicated it was not a surge strip and there was wording that indicated it was only a power strip. I was told that the electrician would look at it to see if it was safe and that I could call Guest Services the next day.

I was given a receipt that I could present on the last day to get my item back.

I called Guest Services the next day and they had no clue what I was talking about. They had someone from security call me. Security called me. There was no electrician that was going to look at this. Security asked me what I was going to plug into it - I then stated my Apple Watch, my Apple iPad, 2 Apple Watches and my MacBook Pro - though not at the same time and only when necessary. He then said "so nothing that will take up a lot of power". I indicated no. He also said he has an Apple Watch and understands it needs to be charged daily. He indicated he would get back to me. He did tell me that the rooms can't handle a lot of things being plugged in. He never got back to me.

On the Crown Princess - there is no USB outlets on the lamps.

I had a minisuite. The outlet that used to be under the mirrors is now an emergency nightlight in case of power failure. This leaves 2 outlets on the night stand. They are right next to an on/off power button. the outlets are right next to each other which really only allows one Apple device to be plugged into it as they are often fat! And I had to plug it into the right one as if I did the left, it would turn the light on.

I did find a power outlet behind both televisions. That is where I plugged my laptop in.

So laptop behind the televisions and then I rotated the other devices amongst the one outlet.

When I went to exit the ship, my medallion dinged. They then said "you have something to pick up". I then said "I don't want it". I didn't want to be late to the airport, had no clue where the receipt was and really didn't care.

So just because things have never been confiscated before, doesn't mean it won't in the future. This has probably been on 50+ cruises with me. It lived in my suitcase when I unpack so it is always there when I go to re-pack. I have to say it looks like a power bar (not the new style). 

In the future - whatever I bring will be in my carry-on now and I have to be willing to lose it.

power.jpg

IMG_2115.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dreamscaper said:

Mine was marked. I don't remember the wording but it said something like "power bar" or something. I work it IT and deal with people's computers at work. When they have them plugged into power bars, I tell them to buy surge strips. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phroggie said:

We're currently on Discovery Princess. My wife brought a strip like LACruiser88 has. No problemo. (And it's not like she's hiding it: it's out in the open.)

Mine was always on my desk (never hidden). It is not the room stewards that are concerned. It is going through security x-ray machines. Mine had gone through x-ray machines dozens of times and was stopped this time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dreamscaper said:

We have the same power strip that is shown in post #4.  I just taped the Amazon description onto the back of it in case any of the crew had a question about it.  If anyone did, we never heard about it and have had no problem with it sitting on the desk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We have the same power strip that is shown in post #4.  I just taped the Amazon description onto the back of it in case any of the crew had a question about it.  If anyone did, we never heard about it and have had no problem with it sitting on the desk.

The interesting thing is that when mine was identified in security - they did not open the suitcase with out me. The suitcase was marked with tape that said "possible surge strip" and when I went down to Deck 4, they then asked to open my suitcase in my presence. So they are not going to open the suitcase in security with out your presence. 

Again, room stewards don't care. It is purely the x-ray machine and security. Maybe if it was a firearm or something, they would open the suitcase right away but they did not open my suitcase to identify the item until I was present.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

The interesting thing is that when mine was identified in security - they did not open the suitcase with out me. The suitcase was marked with tape that said "possible surge strip" and when I went down to Deck 4, they then asked to open my suitcase in my presence. So they are not going to open the suitcase in security with out your presence.

Good to know.  I hope I never need to show them the description but at least it will be easy to do so! 

• Like 1

Just now, capriccio said:

Good to know.  I hope I never need to show them the description but at least it will be easy to do so! 

Yea - I probably should have kept mine but I have had it forever and never had an issue.

I have some power cubes that are in their boxes but haven't brought them. One has multiple foreign outlets but since I wasn't traveling outside of US and Canada, I didn't bring it.

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, I had a non-surge protector IKEA power strip confiscated.  I argued with security and lost while in the naughty room.  Take a photo of the box or other documents. Now I travel with a power outlet like this one. 

3. This product does not have surge protection. It can be taken on most cruise ships, but some cruises forbid power strips with extension cords. Please check the guidelines on the cruise operator’s official website before taking it aboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Extender-Charging-Delivery-Esstential/dp/B09PGXWNWG/ref=sr_1_64_sspa?crid=T3FHDLK38PBT&keywords=anker+power+brick&qid=1686810987&sprefix=Anker+power+%2Caps%2C279&sr=8-64-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ

Thank you.  I see a lot of strips on Amazon that have that type of wording in their product listings, but my concern is that they don't indicate it on the actual product.  But taking along a picture of the listing or bringing any documentation/boxes that has that language is an excellent idea.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, capriccio said:

Perfect!  That's exactly what we'll do :)

2 hours ago, Dreamscaper said:

Perfect!  That's exactly what we'll do 🙂

I have photo of product description and specs on my phone just in case.  As previously mentioned, there are lots of new crew that don't know the difference.

The reason that nobody knows if their extender will be confiscated is that the people who are confiscating them have no idea why they are taking or why they are confiscating them.  All they know is that they have a little piece of paper that they were given that says "me see power strip; me confiscate power striip.  Do you think that they have any idea at all of the difference between a surge protected strip and a none protected one.

DON